PDA

View Full Version : The Cowbell During Games (I'll probably be blasted for this)

Lloyd Christmas
07-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Someone started an earlier thread about how the cowbells will be clangin when Nick Marshall goes under center in Davis Wade. This is unfortunate for a few reasons:

1. Yelling is louder.
2. When some people ring cowbells the other people who "respect the bell" just stand and watch instead of yelling. I guess the overriding feeling of this particular group is "hey, they are making noise and I'm following the rules so I don't have to do anything!".
3. We will get fined..or worse. Nobody gave a shit about the cowbells when we sucked. It was only when we started winning that people started bitching. But if we beat Auburn at home this year THEY WILL bitch about the cowbells as a reason for the loss AND we will probably never be able to bring them into games ever again.

I love the cowbell; I wish it would stay. However, we have some fans who will NEVER ring the bell at the approporiate times so it will always be a problem for us. I see only two solutions:

1. The video department needs to find a creative new way to get people to yell rather than ring. They kind of half assed it in the past with the "save the bell!" stuff. Instead of those quick ads focusing on not ringing we need them to focus on yelling. It could be cheese as hell but we could have a player pop up real quick and encourage yelling and shit.
2. We ban it ourselves. This sounds retarded but hear me out. By the end of the season each year my rough breakdown of the fan base during defensive plays goes like this:

10,000 people yell
10,000 people ring
37,000 people don't do jack shit

The 37,000 mentioned above aren't lazy...they literally don't know which one to do. And when you have a large chunk of your stadium not making noise it kills the atmosphere.

I'll get off my soap box now, flame away.

starkvegasdawg
07-24-2014, 08:51 AM
1. I've heard that argument but I am not sure if I completely believe it. I remember last year a sideline reporter mentioned an opposing player asking for ear plugs due to the bells being so loud. They found him with the camera and sure enough he had something stuck in his ears while on the exercise bike. Think it may have been the bama game.

2. I don't get to go to many games so I can't say one way or the other on this.

3. This is just the cynical, defiant, smart ass in me but they have been banned most of my adult life, but at every home game all you could hear on TV is bells ringing and the announcers laughing when they comment about the number of banned cowbells in the stadium. Unless the SEC or NCAA put in a rule prohibiting noise makers that carries an onfield penalty people will just start sneaking them in again and ringing anyway. The only difference is that nobody will stop while the QB is under center.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

DawgSaint
07-24-2014, 08:55 AM
I understand your concern for wanting to "Save the Bell." I can promise you this...the cowbell will never actually need saving! The cowbell has found its way into Scott Field for how many decades now? It always will. The SEC tried to ban it for how many years? Do you honesty think they are being nice to us now by allowing this "rule?" The rule, in my opinion, is we know we can't do a damn thing about those cowbells, but let's at least let those other schools fans think we are trying! With the money that's being handed out around the league these days from Tv, etc makes those fines seems silly anyway. It is equal to the fines given to NFL players for doing something stupid, but everybody knows the fine means nothing to the player. Remember the SEC already banned the cowbell....didn't work!

FISHDAWG
07-24-2014, 09:06 AM
exactly ! ..... besides, with all of the extra revenue now being generated the fines are small potatoes ... hey, other than Scott Field being the 2nd oldest venue in Div-1 sports, it's the only thing that gives us some renown ...( since we don't have the Grove** )

thedawginme
07-24-2014, 09:08 AM
I understand your concern for wanting to "Save the Bell." I can promise you this...the cowbell will never actually need saving! The cowbell has found its way into Scott Field for how many decades now? It always will. The SEC tried to ban it for how many years? Do you honesty think they are being nice to us now by allowing this "rule?" The rule, in my opinion, is we know we can't do a damn thing about those cowbells, but let's at least let those other schools fans think we are trying! With the money that's being handed out around the league these days from Tv, etc makes those fines seems silly anyway. It is equal to the fines given to NFL players for doing something stupid, but everybody knows the fine means nothing to the player. Remember the SEC already banned the cowbell....didn't work!

It will be easy to keep the bells from ringing in the stadium. The same way it works when we visit opposing teams' fields. Cops/security in the stands wait for you to ring and then they come take your bell.

Obviously it would take something new for Scott and company to start this type thing. Something like getting fined excessive amounts of money repeatedly.

Personally, I don't want the hard earned money that I give to the Athletic department going to Mike Slive's office because some idiots aren't willing to yell instead of ring at certain times of the game.

Lloyd Christmas
07-24-2014, 09:11 AM
It will be easy to keep the bells from ringing in the stadium. The same way it works when we visit opposing teams' fields. Cops/security in the stands wait for you to ring and then they come take your bell.

Obviously it would take something new for Scott and company to start this type thing. Something like getting fined excessive amounts of money repeatedly.

Personally, I don't want the hard earned money that I give to the Athletic department going to Mike Slive's office because some idiots aren't willing to yell instead of ring at certain times of the game.

Yep. Well said.

Todd4State
07-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Well, first of all our fans do need to respect the bell because it is our tradition.

I don't necessarily disagree with you that yelling is louder. I've been on the field for games and I've never had a problem hearing or talking to anybody. I think a lot of it for the other team is mental. The see these big metal noisemakers and they just assume that it's the loudest thing ever. But the reality is the sound goes straight up into the air- it's not directed at the players. If we directed the open end of the cowbell at the field- then it might become a factor.

FISHDAWG
07-24-2014, 09:22 AM
decibels might increase slightly this year with the stadium being bowled in .... sound waves travel in all directions .... besides, we're already at a disadvantage by only seating 61,000 .... compare that to the seating capacity at other SEC stadiums and you will see that we almost NEED the bells instead of yelling

Statefan
07-24-2014, 09:32 AM
If they ban them, the athletic department better get the most annoying, shrill cowbell recording and pipe that in every single play. F the sec if they take away one of the conferences storied traditions over a few more seconds of ringing

DawgSaint
07-24-2014, 09:37 AM
How about this...how about the SEC respect the bell!!!! Prove it has an effect on the outcome of the game or shut the heck up and leave us alone!

Maroonthirteen
07-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Although, I think the University did an outstanding job with the Save the Bell campaign. The old rule/policy is the only way the school or conference is going to cut them down drastically. You can tell people there will be a fine but until the money is literally coming out of their wallet, they won't care in the moment. I have been attending games at Scott field since the 80s. Back then, there were very few bells at SEC games because of the bann. Even though, it was not hard to get a bell in the game. Also, in the early 90s, when I was sitting in the student section, they checked thoroughly at the gates and depending on the cop in your section, they would take a bell at your seat. If you openly ringing a bell. I know well. It happened to me vs Bama in 92 or 94. Again, this was the old rule and under Judge Smells administration.

With all that said, anybody that complains about the bells are opposing butt hurt fans. Our fans love them. I love walking up to the stadium or watching our games and hearing that distinct sound from the crowd. Usually the TV commentators have positive things to say about the tradition. Forget what OM, Bama and Auburn think of the bells. Bring them and ring them.

BulldogBear
07-24-2014, 10:07 AM
I said this in the other thread but I'll put it out here too. I wish that if indeed we were 5-0 going into the Auburn game that we would make a huge campaign to leave the bells at home and just yell. Even ban them for the game and have the portals do their best to catch violators. When we kicked their tail I would love to shove it in their face (and Shug's) that they can't blame the dadgum bells because there were ZERO inside.

....because you know they will. Even if we more or less follow the rules, they will hide behind the cowbell excuse when we win. I am 17ing sick of it. Message to all SEC schools coming to Starkville: It sucks to play on the road. Get over it and grow up.

....yet another gear shift. I think the SEC should force other schools to allow us to bring the bells into their stadiums AS LONG AS WE FOLLOW THE RULES at home and away. This may have the desired effect on bell ringing at home as well. Do both. Yell and ring.

Johnson85
07-24-2014, 10:10 AM
It should be easy to respect the bell now that the rule is reasonable.

We get to ring cowbells whenever institutional sound can be pumped in. I don't have any problem not ringing when the qb is under center. Will I ring it in the 4th quarter of a close SEC game while the opposing qb is under center, probably. But I don't see any reason to poke the SEC in the eye with it when they are actually approaching it in a reasonable manner for once.

And like somebody said, if we have the season we are hoping to have, you will see people caring about cowbells again.

BulldogBear
07-24-2014, 10:13 AM
adding to earlier post....

In fact I wouldn't mind having it become a new tradition with the new addition that home games versus Auburn be cowbell-less. Does anyone like this idea and if so, who do I send it to? Scott?

Please understand I love the bells and really wish other schools would just STFU and we could ring them whenever we dang well please. I yell and ring. But I'm trying to play nice here and if so, let's thumb our noses at Shug by not having them so 17ing Auburn never has an excuse.

FISHDAWG
07-24-2014, 10:17 AM
I said this in the other thread but I'll put it out here too. I wish that if indeed we were 5-0 going into the Auburn game that we would make a huge campaign to leave the bells at home and just yell. Even ban them for the game and have the portals do their best to catch violators. When we kicked their tail I would love to shove it in their face (and Shug's) that they can't blame the dadgum bells because there were ZERO inside.

....because you know they will. Even if we more or less follow the rules, they will hide behind the cowbell excuse when we win. I am 17ing sick of it. Message to all SEC schools coming to Starkville: It sucks to play on the road. Get over it and grow up.

since we are playing them in Baton Rouge this shouldn't be a problem

....yet another gear shift. I think the SEC should force other schools to allow us to bring the bells into their stadiums AS LONG AS WE FOLLOW THE RULES at home and away. This may have the desired effect on bell ringing at home as well. Do both. Yell and ring.

banning our cowbells ????

thf24
07-24-2014, 10:20 AM
1. I've heard that argument but I am not sure if I completely believe it. I remember last year a sideline reporter mentioned an opposing player asking for ear plugs due to the bells being so loud. They found him with the camera and sure enough he had something stuck in his ears while on the exercise bike. Think it may have been the bama game.

I've said this plenty of times before and I may sound like a broken record, but I was on the field (band) in 2009 when Banks pick 6'd Tebow before halftime. It was the loudest I've ever heard the stadium, but that noise was mostly yelling. I heard the cowbells, but faintly in the background. The physics say yelling should be louder than the same number of people ringing cowbells, and above all I refuse to believe that 60,000 people using noisemakers that aren't air-driven or amplified are louder than the crowds at some of the SEC's larger stadiums like Bama's or UT's. Asking for earplugs seems like a mental thing to me; if you're a player who's been told those cheaters at MSU ring bells all game and that it's going to be loud, then yeah, it's going to bother you if you buy into that. MAYBE the harshness of the noise could legitimately disrupt someone on the field, but not the volume. At least not any more than any other SEC stadium other than Vandy or UK.

Covercorner2
07-24-2014, 10:33 AM
The bells aren't going anywhere. They will be snuck in, etc. like they were in the past. Just my opinion, but I would be willing to sacrifice a small fine for a big win and, ultimately, a big season.

DudyDawg
07-24-2014, 10:36 AM
In fact I wouldn't mind having it become a new tradition with the new addition that home games versus Auburn be cowbell-less. Does anyone like this idea and if so, who do I send it to? Scott?

So, your idea of a "new tradition" is to break literally our biggest and most well known tradition because you're annoyed that Auburn complains? Are you kidding? I'm not going to sugarcoat it, that may be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Yes, I think the cowbell situation will improve this year due to the rules giving more leeway. And yes, people who come to Starkville and lose will use that as an excuse. **** those people. Seriously. Watch us on ESPN when Bo fumbled. What do you hear that is completely and utterly unique to Mississippi State. And now you want to ban it. Worst post I've seen in a long time, and Sandman or whatever his name is got his name unbanned for a few hours last night.

Smitty
07-24-2014, 10:38 AM
It will be easier now that we are allowed to ring until they line up in formation. It was technically "illegal" to ring after big plays, big hits, etc.. Now you can have it to ring and then yell when they line up.

I think this rule change will make everything good.

FISHDAWG
07-24-2014, 10:46 AM

Please understand I love the bells and really wish other schools would just STFU and we could ring them whenever we dang well please. I yell and ring. But I'm trying to play nice here and if so, let's thumb our noses at Shug by not having them so 17ing Auburn never has an excuse.

how about we start beating them before we look to worrying about limiting their excuse

The Croom Diaries
07-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Lloyd Christmas I agree almost entirely with your original post in this thread. In fact, I wrote an article in Maroon Magazine about that very thing: http://maroonmagazine.com/2014/05/msus-cowbell-conundrum/

My soft stance on it is that people need to do a better job of yelling and I'm not so sure the new rules are going to help us. My hard stance is that we should go back to the old rules unless we're able to ring our cowbells all the time.

You are 100% accurate about the people who do nothing. They "yellers" if you will, feel drown-out by the clangers and the video board. If you remember from the last couple of years the music from the video boards blares right up until the kickoff or center over the ball - this is done to keep people from clanging during the actual play. The result is going from a loud stadium (artificially) to an eerily quiet one. The reason? Because people weren't yelling due to the video board and/or cowbells.

The directional aspect of the sound has a lot to do with it as well. Yelling is really loud, cowbells are too. The problem is getting both in the stadium. Right now the yellers give way to the cowbells and video board, and then we don't all yell when we need to.

This is a timely topic - I was actually just sitting down to write this topic for tomorrow morning on M&WN, ha.

RiverCityDawg
07-24-2014, 11:18 AM
So, your idea of a "new tradition" is to break literally our biggest and most well known tradition because you're annoyed that Auburn complains? Are you kidding? I'm not going to sugarcoat it, that may be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Yes, I think the cowbell situation will improve this year due to the rules giving more leeway. And yes, people who come to Starkville and lose will use that as an excuse. **** those people. Seriously. Watch us on ESPN when Bo fumbled. What do you hear that is completely and utterly unique to Mississippi State. And now you want to ban it. Worst post I've seen in a long time, and Sandman or whatever his name is got his name unbanned for a few hours last night.

THIS. I don't give a damn if Auburn or anyone else blames the bells. If not the bells they'll blame the refs, El Ni?o or Obama.

War Machine Dawg
07-24-2014, 11:24 AM

One big difference now vs. then: The SEC will mandate metal detectors at all SEC stadiums for "safety reasons." It'll be a sham aimed at cowbell elimination, but that's how it will be done. Mark it down.

preachermatt83
07-24-2014, 11:31 AM

Outstanding post Post dudy!! Any real state fan that even remotely refers to not having the cowbell is just absolutely ridiculous.

preachermatt83
07-24-2014, 11:32 AM
THIS. I don't give a damn if Auburn or anyone else blames the bells. If not the bells they'll blame the refs, El Ni?o or Obama.

Ha! Good post!

preachermatt83
07-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Lloyd Christmas I agree almost entirely with your original post in this thread. In fact, I wrote an article in Maroon Magazine about that very thing: http://maroonmagazine.com/2014/05/msus-cowbell-conundrum/

My soft stance on it is that people need to do a better job of yelling and I'm not so sure the new rules are going to help us. My hard stance is that we should go back to the old rules unless we're able to ring our cowbells all the time.

You are 100% accurate about the people who do nothing. They "yellers" if you will, feel drown-out by the clangers and the video board. If you remember from the last couple of years the music from the video boards blares right up until the kickoff or center over the ball - this is done to keep people from clanging during the actual play. The result is going from a loud stadium (artificially) to an eerily quiet one. The reason? Because people weren't yelling due to the video board and/or cowbells.

The directional aspect of the sound has a lot to do with it as well. Yelling is really loud, cowbells are too. The problem is getting both in the stadium. Right now the yellers give way to the cowbells and video board, and then we don't all yell when we need to.

This is a timely topic - I was actually just sitting down to write this topic for tomorrow morning on M&WN, ha.

I told you that we don't ALWAYS agree croom.. This is Ludacris. If people are too dumb to figure out how to yell while the cowbells ring then they have serious problems. If they feel drowned out, then so be it. The idea that yelling is louder than Cowbells is also pretty ridiculous as well.

preachermatt83
07-24-2014, 11:38 AM

There is no possible way that you are serious.

DudyDawg
07-24-2014, 11:43 AM
"Mississippi State University: the home of the proud tradition of not having anything that is traditionally at our games. Aka being every school in the county. #TRADITION"

bulldawg28
07-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Nick Marshall isn't going under center so we're good. He's in the gun...Problem solved. Hailstate!!!

The Croom Diaries
07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
I told you that we don't ALWAYS agree croom.. This is Ludacris. If people are too dumb to figure out how to yell while the cowbells ring then they have serious problems. If they feel drowned out, then so be it. The idea that yelling is louder than Cowbells is also pretty ridiculous as well.

I'm more interested in finding solutions than telling people they are dumb. I don't think the sellout crowds of the last three years compare to the sellouts of 2009-2010 from a noise standpoint. That is my hypothesis of what has happened.

mstatefan91
07-24-2014, 12:43 PM
This whole yelling is louder than cowbell nonsense started in 2010 when Stricklin and company tried to trick the students with a fake decibel monitor at cowbell yell. They have now done it every year at cowbell yell and people are dumb enough to believe it.

The Croom Diaries
07-24-2014, 01:02 PM
This whole yelling is louder than cowbell nonsense started in 2010 when Stricklin and company tried to trick the students with a fake decibel monitor at cowbell yell. They have now done it every year at cowbell yell and people are dumb enough to believe it.

Whether it's true or not doesn't really matter. The issue at hand is getting everyone to yell. All the fans and especially the non-cowbell carrying fans need to make sure they are yelling despite the efforts of the video board and/or cowbells dampening their noise level because once the big board and cowbells stop we'll need everyone yelling to create a loud stadium. Too often when the artificial noise stops it takes a while to get people's voices cranked back up and engaged in making noise.

mstatefan91
07-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Whether it's true or not doesn't really matter. The issue at hand is getting everyone to yell. All the fans and especially the non-cowbell carrying fans need to make sure they are yelling despite the efforts of the video board and/or cowbells dampening their noise level because once the big board and cowbells stop we'll need everyone yelling to create a loud stadium. Too often when the artificial noise stops it takes a while to get people's voices cranked back up and engaged in making noise.
I wasn't directing that statement at you per se. I just get frustrated when people say that yelling alone is louder than the cowbells when there is no real proof of it. Students/Professors leave Cowbell Yell and spread around the results of Stricklin's fake decibel meter.

I agree that cowbell use should also involve the people ringing them yelling and that people without cowbells should be yelling as it adds to the total noise.

drunkernhelldawg
07-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Actually, a lot of State fans are not fans of the the cowbell. Some of the new cowbell designs are incredibly loud. Although they may love the maroon and white tradition, including the cowbell, they may not enjoy having three or four people inches from their head who never give it a rest. I guess I'm the only one drunk enough to say it.

Hypnodawg
07-24-2014, 02:06 PM
I prefer yelling followed by cowbell on a good play. Constant ringing is just annoying.

BulldogBear
07-24-2014, 03:32 PM
There is no possible way that you are serious.

Just brainstorming. I have had to listen to basically "the only reason y'all won was those (insert random expletive) cowbells" the day after literally every Starkville win over Auburn in my adult life (1992, 1998, 2000, 2012).

Here also is the last caveat I said on the matter (with pertinent remarks now bolded): "Please understand I love the bells and really wish other schools would just STFU and we could ring them whenever we dang well please. I yell and ring. But I'm trying to play nice here and if so, let's thumb our noses at Shug by not having them so 17ing Auburn never has an excuse."

Another quote showing my "absolutely ridiculous" true feelings regarding the cowbells: "Message to all SEC schools coming to Starkville: It sucks to play on the road. Get over it and grow up."

DudyDawg
07-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Just brainstorming. I have had to listen to basically "the only reason y'all won was those (insert random expletive) cowbells" the day after literally every Starkville win over Auburn in my adult life (1992, 1998, 2000, 2012).

Here also is the last caveat I said on the matter (with pertinent remarks now bolded): "Please understand I love the bells and really wish other schools would just STFU and we could ring them whenever we dang well please. I yell and ring. But I'm trying to play nice here and if so, let's thumb our noses at Shug by not having them so 17ing Auburn never has an excuse."

Another quote showing my "absolutely ridiculous" true feelings regarding the cowbells: "Message to all SEC schools coming to Starkville: It sucks to play on the road. Get over it and grow up."

I don't think anyone argued that you don't love the cowbells, just that you're idea was stupid. You asked for feedback and thats what you got for feedback.

BulldogBear
07-24-2014, 05:47 PM
I don't think anyone argued that you don't love the cowbells, just that you're idea was stupid. You asked for feedback and thats what you got for feedback.

All right. I can live with that. My apologies. Sometimes I really get irritated when stuff starts to sound like one of those "no true fan would (insert subject matter)" type of statements. They're often really unfair.

My regard for Auburn is only slightly above my regard for Rebel Nation. When it comes the rare time that I really feel the need to be a bad sport and "give the finger" so to speak, I try to think outside the box...errr, bell....for a way to do it.

Barking 13
07-24-2014, 06:00 PM
I prefer yelling followed by cowbell on a good play. Constant ringing is just annoying.

This^^^

Dawgcentral
07-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Not sure how well ringing fares in comparison to yelling. But when Willie Blade was blowing up the Florida offensive line and Spurrier was forced to take a safety, it was the loudest I'd ever heard in DWS.
There's never going to be any sort of cowbell discipline in situations like that. In SEC games against Bama, LSU, Auburn, or TSUN, when our defensive line starts exploding at home, it gets loud. Maybe not LSU seismic loud, but enough to get some exclamations from visiting commentators.
Knock them on their asses and ring the bells.

Smitty
07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
We need Mullen to promote yelling EVERY DOWN on D and make it a priority. Its a graveyard on 1st and 2nd down at times while we are on defense. Even from the students. It's like 3rd down is the only time you are "supposed" to yell

FISHDAWG
07-24-2014, 07:18 PM
anything that irritates Auburn should be done with twice the vigor