PDA

View Full Version : Teams Scoring Just Before Half

Statefan
07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
I remember last year we suffered from a recurring nightmare of teams scoring on us right before halftime. I think it happened against AUB, LSU, A&M, USC, and some more teams. With Collins being the great DC that he is, does anyone have an idea of why this kept happening? Or why we should be confident/scared about it going into this year?

State82
07-24-2014, 08:32 AM
This bunch is deep and talented. I just don't see that being an issue this season.

FISHDAWG
07-24-2014, 08:53 AM
This bunch is deep and talented. I just don't see that being an issue this season.

basically the same guys and DC as last year though ... I hope you're right

starkvegasdawg
07-24-2014, 08:56 AM
How much of that happened early in the season and how much late in the season? Just wondering if that was before the defense had a chance to gel and improve as a unit.

FISHDAWG
07-24-2014, 09:01 AM
seems like 7 teams did this to us all during the season ... not a 1st half of season thing at all

messageboardsuperhero
07-24-2014, 09:11 AM
That was something I hated seeing last year. I'm not sure if it was schematic, lack of depth, lack of maturity, etc.

I'm going to say that it was a combination of always going to that God-awful prevent defense before the half and a lack of the maturity/leadership it takes to close out a half. Hopefully Collins has learned his lesson, and a year of experience for young players takes care of the second part.

engie
07-24-2014, 09:16 AM
When you trust your safeties and corners, you never have to go prevent...

We didn't last year early -- but will from the first drop this year. Justin Cox notwithstanding(I still don't know what to expect here)...

Pollodawg
07-24-2014, 10:41 AM
That used to infuriate me when we gave up a long scoring drive just before half. It kills whatever mo you had heading into the locker room.

engie
07-24-2014, 11:11 AM
I think some of that was our "fading just before the half" -- and then we come out fully flat and incapable of doing much in the second half. This happened constantly last year up until the Carolina game. I thought this may have had something to do with the curveball job switch in the strength and conditioning program.

I posted an interview with Dak a few days ago saying the new strength coach does alot more running and cardio exercises -- and alot more positional stuff...

RAYn_Man
07-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Combination of losing focus just before you get to go in for halftime and the fact that the 2-minute drill is so important in today's game that teams practice it daily. Teams get really good at it and a defense doesn't have the adrenaline and focus it would have during a 2-minute drill at the end of the game, simply because the game isn't on the line.