PDA

View Full Version : First(official) Word on Baseball(and other small sport) Implication of SECNetwork...

engie
07-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Basically, we are going to get every home baseball game online streaming in HD for free now, assuming we have the SECNetwork...

First are games produced by ESPN and broadcast on the SEC Network channel available through cable and satellite. Second are games broadcast exclusively on SEC Network+, which will be produced by the schools themselves using their own equipment, talent, etc. The third tier of games are those the SEC Network has not picked up for either of the first two tiers, but that the schools can produce and broadcast themselves as part of SEC Network+, if they so choose.

Wetherbee says MSU?s plan is to broadcast games themselves in the tier three option whenever they aren?t picked by the network initially, meaning nearly all of MSU?s contests in all sports will be available in some fashion to those with a subscription to a cable or satellite service providing the SEC Network.

Basketball and baseball will be heavily featured on the Network, as well, and previously hard-to-watch events like the SEC Baseball Tournament in Hoover will become easily accessible. Next spring, for example, MSU will be host to the SEC Track and Field Championships and it will be broadcast from campus.

http://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/looking-at-msus-preparations-for-sec-network-a-2-million-investment/

TStationDawg
07-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Does this have any impact on Jim coming back from breaks on time? If not it's useless. ***

MsStateBaseball
07-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Also expands recruiting. Send out letters with schedule and tell them to tune in live to watch games..

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 12:43 PM
So I suppose we won't be using hailstateTV anymore?

engie
07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
So I suppose we won't be using hailstateTV anymore?

Dies with the SECNetwork for everyone... Tier 3 now owned by the conference. It's always been owned by the schools previously.

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Dies with the SECNetwork for everyone... Tier 3 now owned by the conference. It's always been owned by the schools previously.
So basically we will likely have the hailstate feed/broadcast but it'll be owned by the SEC and will have their name on it. Correct?

And what does this mean monetarily for us if anything?

engie
07-23-2014, 01:08 PM
So basically we will likely have the hailstate feed/broadcast but it'll be owned by the SEC and will have their name on it. Correct?

And what does this mean monetarily for us if anything?

Yes.

It's all a piece of the extra $20-50million we are going to be making yearly in the upcoming years because of the network...

War Machine Dawg
07-23-2014, 01:43 PM
I just hope all this means we'll finally get some video editing that's SEC quality, as opposed to SWAC quality.

engie
07-23-2014, 01:45 PM
I just hope all this means we'll finally get some video editing that's SEC quality, as opposed to SWAC quality.

We hired all new crews for that.

I'm expecting ESPN quality from now on. Not SEC or SWAC quality...

War Machine Dawg
07-23-2014, 01:51 PM
We hired all new crews for that.

I'm expecting ESPN quality from now on. Not SEC or SWAC quality...

One can hope. Believe it when I see it, though. And for the love of all things maroon, can we use some of this extra wad of cash to update the music we use? It always pisses me off to go to Oxford and hear them using music from current popular movies like The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, etc. for their stuff while we're using generic garbage or that whole DJ Bulldog or whatever the hell his name was for our stuff. Embarrassing.

MsStateBaseball
07-23-2014, 01:54 PM
We can build another baseball stadium with that money....

MabenMaroon
07-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Just curious as to how the digital platform of the SECN is going to work out in the future when all of the major internet carriers start putting data limitations on their packages and/or start putting extremely expensive packages out that would enable users to be able to stream games and or shows/movies for that matter without going into overage charges. I remember when cellular signal providers offered unlimited data packages and people said that they would never implement restrictions or price themselves out of the streaming capability markets. You can stream on cellular devices in most cases now but you would you need to be fairly well off financially to afford it.

engie
07-23-2014, 02:39 PM
One can hope. Believe it when I see it, though. And for the love of all things maroon, can we use some of this extra wad of cash to update the music we use? It always pisses me off to go to Oxford and hear them using music from current popular movies like The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, etc. for their stuff while we're using generic garbage or that whole DJ Bulldog or whatever the hell his name was for our stuff. Embarrassing.

We have to.

ESPN is just sending announcing crews. They aren't sending production crews anymore. All the schools are responsible for having production crews of their own up to ESPN standards.

Hell, like for baseball, I'm not even sure they will tell us far in advance what games will be on the main network. And you know the nightly "sportscenter" type shows are going to feature clips from around the league that will have to be in the utmost quality...

I'm expecting a very small and maybe unnoticeable difference in production quality when ESPN is there vs when they aren't. We already had one of the best baseball productions around...

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 02:47 PM
I think this is a huge recruiting tool, especially when we go out west. Now we can tell parents "hey, you're son will be a long ways away, but all you have to do is turn on the computer and see every single game". That's huge

engie
07-23-2014, 03:00 PM
I think this is a huge recruiting tool, especially when we go out west. Now we can tell parents "hey, you're son will be a long ways away, but all you have to do is turn on the computer and see every single game". That's huge

Agreed. That is an aspect I haven't fully thought of yet.

Of course, I'm sure most would get Hailstate.tv anyway -- but this should extend our reach in a huge way...

Todd4State
07-23-2014, 04:09 PM

We have some allies out West already. I think you are going to start to see us get at least 2-3 Californians every year, and in fact we have two for 2017 already committed from our pipeline. It's the same pipeline that sent us Collins and will be sending us Aaron Dominguez.

You are correct in that this will help with recruiting and potentially expanding our pipeline. IMO, our facilties and attendance have more of an impact somewhere like California because that is a place where the schools out there don't haev those two things. In the South, pretty much everyone in the SEC has the stadium and facilities, and some have the crowds. So, you can be a guy from Louisiana and if you want to play in front of a big crowd, you have options like LSU and MSU etc. But if you are from California, not so much.