PDA

View Full Version : IF Ray pulls in Malik does that get boosters

TStationDawg
07-23-2014, 11:40 AM
...back in the fold who weren't on board with the decision? I know that seems like a common sense question but I'm not so sure for some of them.

headcoach98
07-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Good question

War Machine Dawg
07-23-2014, 12:48 PM
...back in the fold who weren't on board with the decision? I know that seems like a common sense question but I'm not so sure for some of them.

I'd be shocked if most didn't come back. However, there will be a small contingent - probably Dawggeezer and his ilk - that will put loyalty to Stans above loyalty to MSU. Nature of the beast, but it's still shitty.

rabbitthedawg
07-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Prove to me you can win (RR) and recruit and I'll come back as season ticket holder. Stopped two years ago buying Hump tickets.

Coach34
07-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Stopped two years ago buying Hump tickets.

so you stopped because they fired Stands?

TheRef
07-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Prove to me you can win (RR) and recruit and I'll come back as season ticket holder. Stopped two years ago buying Hump tickets.

And you're the problem with a portion of our fan base. "They're doing horrible so I'm going to pull my money and hope that they do better with less money." That's basically what you're telling me right now.

tcdog70
07-23-2014, 04:02 PM
as Al Davis said--"Just Win, Baby"

I seen it dawg
07-23-2014, 04:03 PM

True state fan there. I at least gave Crooms 2 yrs before I pulled the plug on my financial support. Sorry just sorry. As Ref stated you and all of those like you are the biggest damn problem with our fanbase. And actually including you in the fanbase is incorrect. You aren't a fan of State. Go away and go support some other school.

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 04:05 PM
And you're the problem with a portion of our fan base. "They're doing horrible so I'm going to pull my money and hope that they do better with less money." That's basically what you're telling me right now.

+10000000000. Idiotic and selfish approach. If you can't put in the work when it's bad, don't come enjoy it when it's good

engie
07-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Knew where this was going. He'll have to consistently win at a markedly higher level than Stans ever did to get them back in the fold -- and even then, with that particular crowd, it'll be a shallow support whose foundation cracks every time we go through difficulty. Simply getting an elite player won't do it.

Everyone hates the baseball analogy -- but we've already seen how this works with that program. Dead fan support for 4 years. Started to come back in year 5. In year 6, it was the best it's ever been and we're talking about a new stadium, only after taking us to heights we hadn't seen before. And even then, you had a handful that STILL aren't/weren't back on the bandwagon.

This is so simple to see from a disconnect. Years 1 and 2 were going to suck regardless. I don't fault your average fan for withdrawing interest during that time period. But we're past that time period now -- and it's time to get it rolling again.

shannondawg
07-23-2014, 04:42 PM
True state fan there. I at least gave Crooms 2 yrs before I pulled the plug on my financial support. Sorry just sorry. As Ref stated you and all of those like you are the biggest damn problem with our fanbase. And actually including you in the fanbase is incorrect. You aren't a fan of State. Go away and go support some other school.

Kinda burning bridges and spreading the ashes aren't you? You would be running off a whole lot of folk...

Winning is about as simple as it gets to get fans back.

Johnson85
07-23-2014, 04:43 PM
+10000000000. Idiotic and selfish approach. If you can't put in the work when it's bad, don't come enjoy it when it's good

I don't fault people for not wanting to spend money on a dumpster fire. I can understand that most people don't have unlimited money to spend and that spending good money to help a bad basketball program rebuild may not pass an individual's cost benefit test.

The issue is you can't count those people as real fans. It's great to have their money when the going gets good, but it's incredibly hard to build a program if you don't have a large group of fans that are just loyal fans of the school who will support the team in rough patches.

Todd4State
07-23-2014, 04:44 PM
If there are other big boosters that replace the old boosters, does it matter if the old ones come back? Sure it would be even better if they did, but it's obviously not necessary.

MSU is bigger than a coach or a single booster.

notsofarawaydawg
07-23-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm sure winning and signing the big M won't help with some. Just take a look at Rick Ray and you will see the reason they don't support him. It's sad they can't let their past go.

I seen it dawg
07-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Kinda burning bridges and spreading the ashes aren't you? You would be running off a whole lot of folk...

Winning is about as simple as it gets to get fans back.

Let it burn. Pull support as soon as hire is made without even giving hire a chance? Not true State people. Carry their ass and don't come back.

TStationDawg
07-23-2014, 05:19 PM
I'd rather Ray win the old back AND get new ones. Scorned boosters are not good. That's why I posed the question. He can at least place calls he's never made and say "see, we can get this done"

Quaoarsking
07-23-2014, 05:34 PM
No. The usual suspects will be saying "Malik was coming to MSU no matter who the coach was," by February.

Dawg61
07-23-2014, 05:41 PM
Just take a look at Rick Ray and you will see the reason they don't support him. It's sad they can't let their past go.

What are you implying here exactly?

engie
07-23-2014, 05:43 PM
I'd rather Ray win the old back AND get new ones. Scorned boosters are not good. That's why I posed the question. He can at least place calls he's never made and say "see, we can get this done"

I agree that everyone pulling together is ideal. But given our past, I'd say it's idealistic and unrealistic. I'd think the absolute ceiling of Ray's approval rating is about where Cohen's is now -- and that's still a far cry below where Polks was in his heyday. He's going to have to go Sweet 16 and beyond before he gets close to Stansbury's approval rating. Otherwise, people on both sides are just going to constantly move the goalposts.

shannondawg
07-23-2014, 05:58 PM
You guys are sure putting words in peoples mouths.

I went from 8 seats to 4, simply because the people that were using the seats said they weren't going to use them. Then 4 to 2, and then found myself not coming to but 2 games last year. Age having a lot to do with it, and no one to travel from Shannon with me, as they just show no interest in going anymore..

Ray didn't have a thing to do with my quitting my support. I have been a bdc member ever since it started, and started out being a super dog, and as the levels increased, I increased with them, always giving my donation just before year end being at last level a scholarship level player. Plus making contributrions outside the bulldog club for other projects and my last being the Mize.

As I said all these years I made my donations at year end, being self employed, and being old school. Anyway, I went to the Ray's game and because of my Mize donation have underground parking, I went to the elevator and they were giving out wrist bands for the scholarship club, and at that time I realized when they told me I wasn't eligible for the scholarship club because I hadn't made a contribution for that year. but would have in December as per my custom.

I was pissed, but did not say a word to anyone, just called my son in law the next day and asked him if he wanted to make a jump in his bdc ranking. I called the bdc and turned my legacy over to him and my daughter. He gets my chairbacks and courtside seats for me and I pay him for the premium on the seats plus the seats.

I know a lot of you are going to say that was small of me, but put yourself in my shoes and think how you would feel after giving almost 500k lifetime and get treated that way. I wouldn't normally say how much my contributions were, but I was called out to center court and given a silver cowbell and Scott told the crowd my lifetime contributions plus the pledge to the Mize. I also realize some of you may now know who I am, but that makes no difference to me, as I wouldn't say anything on this board that I wouldn't say to someone's face.

Todd4State
07-23-2014, 06:03 PM

I went from 8 seats to 4, simply because the people that were using the seats said they weren't going to use them. Then 4 to 2, and then found myself not coming to but 2 games last year. Age having a lot to do with it, and no one to travel from Shannon with me, as they just show no interest in going anymore..

Ray didn't have a thing to do with my quitting my support. I have been a bdc member ever since it started, and started out being a super dog, and as the levels increased, I increased with them, always giving my donation just before year end being at last level a scholarship level player. Plus making contributrions outside the bulldog club for other projects and my last being the Mize.

As I said all these years I made my donations at year end, being self employed, and being old school. Anyway, I went to the first game and because of my Mize donation have underground parking, I went to the elevator and they were giving out wrist bands for the scholarship club, and at that time I realized when they told me I wasn't eligible for the scholarship club because I hadn't made a contribution for that year. but would have in December as per my custom.

I was pissed, but did not say a word to anyone, just called my son in law the next day and asked him if he wanted to make a jump in his bdc ranking. I called the bdc and turned my legacy over to him and my daughter. He gets my chairbacks and courtside seats for me and I pay him for the premium on the seats plus the seats.

I know a lot of you are going to say that was small of me, but put yourself in my shoes and think how you would feel after giving almost 500k lifetime and get treated that way. I wouldn't normally say how much my contributions were, but I was called out to center court and given a silver cowbell and Scott told the crowd my lifetime contributions plus the pledge to the Mize. I also realize some of you may now know who I am, but that makes no difference to me, as I wouldn't say anything on this board that I wouldn't say to someone's face.

One question- did MSU tell you beforehand when the deadline to make the payment for the Scholarship Level Club was?

engie
07-23-2014, 06:17 PM

As I said all these years I made my donations at year end, being self employed, and being old school. Anyway, I went to the Ray's game and because of my Mize donation have underground parking, I went to the elevator and they were giving out wrist bands for the scholarship club, and at that time I realized when they told me I wasn't eligible for the scholarship club because I hadn't made a contribution for that year. but would have in December as per my custom.

So, basically a huge part of your current axe to grind is because a "door man" at MSU didn't know who you were at first sight and what your customary giving patterns were -- and therefore didn't let you circumvent rules and guidelines that had been put in place? Something that a simple call to Scott Stricklin would have permanently fixed in 15 seconds with his knowledge of your level of giving.

That doesn't make things better to me -- it makes them worse. What? 30? 40? years of supporting something through thick and thin -- obviously at a huge level of support most of us will never touch -- and you end it because a door man doesn't know your name at a delicate time for the program when the familiar faces are desperately needed?

messageboardsuperhero
07-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Here's your problem. A simple call to Scott Stricklin would have been all it would take.

Stricklin's personality isn't like Templeton's- he's very open, personable, and willing to help.

shannondawg
07-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Todd, If they did, I wasn't aware of it.

Engie: Its pretty evident that you don't know how these things work. Its not a nightclub where they have a doorman that lets the hot chicks in and makes everyone else wait.

Its done by a list from the AD and printed on the tickets.

shannondawg
07-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Here's your problem. A simple call to Scott Stricklin would have been all it would take.

Stricklin's personality isn't like Templeton's- he's very open, personable, and willing to help.

I hadn't made the donation, and that would have been complaining or begging. I could have and he would , but the principle of the thing is what pissed me off.

By the way, you guys might not like what I did, but my son in law is tickled plum silly.

engie
07-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Todd, If they did, I wasn't aware of it.

Engie: Its pretty evident that you don't know how these things work. Its not a nightclub where they have a doorman that lets the hot chicks in and makes everyone else wait.

Its done by a list from the AD and printed on the tickets.

I know exactly how they work. And your analogy isn't even close to what I was saying and you know it.

The list from the AD is as simple as sorting columns in Excel and copy/pasting. Yet you fault them enough for an OVERSIGHT of not filling in a future blank for you that you pull support? Again, a problem that would have been fixed in LITERALLY a 15 second call to Stricklin or anyone else in the athletics department/bulldog club. It's not like they don't have a record of your giving and the dates in which the gifts were made. Basically, you were looking for a reason to pull out -- and you got it. Otherwise, something that small wouldn't even register on people's radar.

A younger acquaintance of mine worked parking at MSU for football when he was in school. A nice lady showed up without her pass and asked to park in the lot "where she always parked". He politely told her he couldn't do that. 10 minutes later, representatives for the athletics department told him thanks for doing his job well and following the rules, but that she would be back in a minute and to let her park her vehicle(he later found out "who" she was). It would have been just that simple for you.

You wanted out, you got out. Everyone is happy. So, why the ax to grind?

Dawg61
07-23-2014, 06:59 PM
shannondawg I appreciate your contributions to MSU and I hope that you go to as many basketball games as you can in the future.

shannondawg
07-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Well to be brutally honest and end this . I always looked forward to contributing to MSU , just as I have to other organizations, and it was a feel good situation. Just maybe that thrill was gone and you are right, I was just looking for an excuse. But as Howard Hughes said to that Senator from Maine. "My money, I used my money, and will probably keep on doing it". Its just another set of dogs getting it now. I give that amount to the local (not national) humane society shelter, and sonny boy, I know those dogs appreciate it.

And no Engie, I did not know you knew how it worked, as you wouldn't have used the doorman situation. Quick thinking on your part to bring up your parking attendant buddy tho..
Q

shannondawg
07-23-2014, 07:04 PM
shannondawg I appreciate your contributions to MSU and I hope that you go to as many basketball games as you can in the future.

Why thank you 61, I appreciate that. As it stands today, I don't plan to buy tickets this year, but that's today, When time to re up who knows what I will do...

Coach34
07-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Shannondawg- let me be clear:

i greatly appreciate what what guys like you and Geezer have done over the years. Shit, somebody was telling me the other day about how Geezer bought the first peach baskets ever put up in McCarthy Gym. You guys supporting the program when it was at the bottom should be respected and appreciated by all.

All we are saying is to give Ray a chance. Help him to see if he can get it done. Hell, ya'll gave Bob Boyd a chance and all he did was recruit over the phone. If Ray can't get it done these next two years- we'll move in another direction.

engie
07-23-2014, 07:37 PM
I want to take the opportunity to say that I know who you are and appreciate everything that you've done as well. Your company still puts out one hell of a product -- with tremendous customer service in an industry that it's becoming increasingly rare to find. Your contributions to MSU certainly go above and beyond what most of us will be able to do.

I also understand your point -- and your last post really brought it into focus. Giving to MSU wasn't fun for you anymore. That makes sense, in what is becoming an increasingly competitive, young man's game that is heading toward the corporate sell-outs the same way all professional sports already have. I can see how this adversely affects you and others -- and wish it wasn't so and that there was a way to make it all work together. I'll be the first to admit that I'm guilty of going blind to "individuals" in the goal of "making MSU one of the best on the field" aka raising as much money as we possibly can. There is certainly something that's being "lost" in this process.

That said, hopefully Ray will get it going this year in such a way that will allow people to start to be legitimately excited for 2015 with basically the whole team plus a couple more(expected) excellent players coming back. Thanks for your descriptive and mindful post here that in my mind finally gives some clarity and allows us to move forward beyond getting caught in the same argument pattern...

shannondawg
07-23-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm at a loss for words, I really appreciate that you two.

That mean we can't be ugly to each other anymore? (smile)

LiterallyPolice
07-23-2014, 08:35 PM
What the heck just happened? Is this real life?

Dawg61
07-23-2014, 08:44 PM
What the heck just happened? Is this real life?

http://rack.1.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA3LzA1LzUzL0VsZi45ZGQ2OC5naWYKcAl0aHVtYg kxMjAweDk2MDA-/1d3e18ff/b06/Elf.gif

coastdoglover
07-23-2014, 09:15 PM
First of all Shannondawg, I doubt this whole board has given as much as you have. It is also kind of two faced to bitch about people not all that excited about the train wreck we have had for 2 years. Those same folks were bitching and blasting our former coach even when he did win. But back to the topic, if Ray signs Malik then many folks will say, "well he can recruit". Until then, if we continue to flounder, folks aren't going to shell out money for an inferior product. As the ole saying goes, the proof is in the pudding and programs that don't produce will suffer in attendance, and even more so with the SEC network

engie
07-23-2014, 09:19 PM
First of all Shannondawg, I doubt this whole board has given as much as you have. It is also kind of two faced to bitch about people not all that excited about the train wreck we have had for 2 years. Those same folks were bitching and blasting our former coach even when he did win. But back to the topic, if Ray signs Malik then many folks will say, "well he can recruit". Until then, if we continue to flounder, folks aren't going to shell out money for an inferior product. As the ole saying goes, the proof is in the pudding and programs that don't produce will suffer in attendance, and even more so with the SEC network

Here you go trying to reincite the riot instead of just giving even a little bit when everyone is trying to bury the hatchet and move on to the next chapter in this saga.

I can't imagine why anyone would think that you've still got an ax to grind. You always talk about our former coach being gone and people needing to "move on" -- here we are trying to do that -- while you impede that progress from being made. Why are you bringing him into a conversation where he has NO PLACE and had not been otherwise discussed in any way? To demean the current coach and the fans that support him? Basically you are doing what you profess to hate -- just involving the current coach instead of the former one. How is it fair for you to expect others to move on if you can't and haven't?

coastdoglover
07-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Pot meet kettle

Here you go trying to reincite the riot right when we're trying to bury the hatchet and move on. But WE are the problem right?

engie
07-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Pot meet kettle

That's funny. Did you even actually read the thread before you went into broken record mode?

TStationDawg
07-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Let me just say this, since my OP started this whole mess/make up/make out/mess session...I enjoyed the Stansbury successes as much as anyone. I was embarrassed as much as anyone as well at his failures. HIS words were "Reynardo is going to be the end of me" and he was right! BUT, my whole point in the post this- the boosters that have abandoned Ray NEED to come back. They ARE some good people. They NEED to see that if Ray gets Malik, they had NO hand in it and he worked his butt off. What COULD he accomplish WITH their support?! THey also need to realize life moves on. First Stans is replaced, then his scoreboard (hehehe), and whatever comes next, but they need NOT be! WITH THAT said, RAY needs to reach out to some good people and let him know he welcomes their support. Life, as always, is a two way street. There are TOO many people with open doors that have yet to be knocked upon.

I seen it dawg
07-23-2014, 09:32 PM

No, one poster stated he quit giving 2 yrs ago. When Ray was hired and would start giving again when we started winning. Means he didn't even give the guy one day of a chance. That's sorry as a supposed State supporter.