PDA

View Full Version : Gripe about our base running....

CadaverDawg
05-18-2013, 11:10 AM
I hate to start another complaint thread, but what is the deal with our base running? We are a team with a bunch of Punch and Judy hitters that don't have any power, yet we can't score from second base on a ground ball through the infield half the time.

Last night we had Armstrong on 2nd when Detz ripped one through the right side....and we had to hold Armstrong at 3rd. Now I know we had Renfroe coming up next, but we can't afford to hold runners up like that, especially the way Renfroe's been hitting. All Jim and Bart were talking about with Armstrong, was how fast he is....and then we can't score him on a ground ball to right from second base?

We do it all the time, and it could have made a difference last night, bc if we send him then all the runners move up on the throw. Plus, we don't need a bunch of punch and Judy's that run bases like Wes Rea. We should always score from 2nd with this bunch of little guys we have in the lineup in my opinion.

We lose at least 2 runs per ball game on base running errors, or lack of confidence in our runners to score on a base hit from 2nd base.

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 11:31 AM
I think that was a situation where Armstrong had to make sure the ball went through or risk running into a double play on a lineout.

FFF
05-18-2013, 11:33 AM
I think that was a situation where Armstrong had to make sure the ball went through or risk running into a double play on a lineout.

Yup. I watched him on that play... he held up to make sure the ball got through.

Also, SC has some good arms... they've challenged Renfroe twice this series and have been burned twice. We got thrown out at the plate in the first game.

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Yup. I watched him on that play... he held up to make sure the ball got through.

Also, SC has some good arms... they've challenged Renfroe twice this series and have been burned twice. We got thrown out at the plate in the first game.

And that was a bang bang play at the plate. He did slow up to make sure he touched third- and I that was a mistake on his part. Detz got picked off of second as well on Thursday. Those are the most notable mistakes that we've made as far as baserunning goes.

Jacksondevildog
05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
My biggest gripe is that we never steal or hit and run. We have to hit 3 singles in an inning to score a run. During Cohen's first two or three years, he nearly ran us out of games. Now we have some speed, and we don't utilize it while putting pressure on the defense.

msstate7
05-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Esp with Henderson. He hits into dp almost every game. I'd like to start the runner with him up some

Jacksondevildog
05-18-2013, 12:10 PM
I would like to see the spray chart for Henderson for this season. He has probably grounded out to 2B at least 30 times this year.

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 12:29 PM
My biggest gripe is that we never steal or hit and run. We have to hit 3 singles in an inning to score a run. During Cohen's first two or three years, he nearly ran us out of games. Now we have some speed, and we don't utilize it while putting pressure on the defense.

I'd like to see this more too. It seems like it comes and goes- sometimes we steal a few bases and then we stop for awhile.

Will James
05-18-2013, 12:41 PM
I'd like to see this more too. It seems like it comes and goes- sometimes we steal a few bases and then we stop for awhile.

Maybe with CT and Hendo where Ammo and DH are at bat.

I don't like the risky shit right before 2-3-4 hit.

CadaverDawg
05-18-2013, 01:02 PM
I guess my point was more about how we are too small and powerless to hit home runs and balls in the gaps....but yet, none of our little guys possess the speed to score from 2nd base on a base hit. I'm saying, we need a base running coach that can teach our guys how to get good leads, make good reads on balls, and get good jumps off the pitcher and off the bat. We have all these guys that are supposedly speedsters, yet we don't ever hurt anyone with our base running Except for ourselves.

Ronny
05-18-2013, 01:55 PM
I guess my point was more about how we are too small and powerless to hit home runs and balls in the gaps....but yet, none of our little guys possess the speed to score from 2nd base on a base hit. I'm saying, we need a base running coach that can teach our guys how to get good leads, make good reads on balls, and get good jumps off the pitcher and off the bat. We have all these guys that are supposedly speedsters, yet we don't ever hurt anyone with our base running Except for ourselves.

..don't completely agree because it seems (don't have the statistics) that we have been thrown out at home plate several times this year. We've laso been thrown at @ 2nd a lot this year.

That at least tells me are not shy about sending runners.

Having said that, our situational baserunning is subpar.

My biggest gripe is considering our unreliable hitters, & our team speed, with a man on thrid, we should be executing more squeeze plays. Seems like everytime we try it, it works.

Imagine if Renfroe or Rea had been called on to squeeze home the runner on 3rd last night. USCe would have crapped their drawers. There is no way their defense would have been positioned to handled that.

CadaverDawg
05-18-2013, 01:59 PM
..don't completely agree because it seems (don't have the statistics) that we have been thrown out at home plate several times this year. We've laso been thrown at @ 2nd a lot this year.

That at least tells me are not shy about sending runners.

Having said that, our situational baserunning is subpar.

My biggest gripe is considering our unreliable hitters, & our team speed, with a man on thrid, we should be executing more squeeze plays. Seems like everytime we try it, it works.

Imagine if Renfroe or Rea had been called on to squeeze home the runner on 3rd last night. USCe would have crapped their drawers. There is no way their defense would have been positioned to handled that.

You're missing my point. Everything you said about us getting thrown out a lot goes back to what I am saying. We SHOULDN'T be getting thrown out so much with a team full of little speed guys in our lineup. But, we either aren't as fast as we think, or we just have terrible base running coaches that haven't taught our guys how to take leads, get jumps, or read balls off the bat.

I'm not saying we should run more...I'm saying we should BE ABLE to run more. But we can't because we are a dumb base running team.