PDA

View Full Version : Which true freshman QB will be 3rd option

Pokerdawg44
07-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Nick Fitzgerald or Elijah Staley? As far as which freshman qb would be more ready is interesting to me. NF only played one season as a hs qb but went through bowl practices and spring. NF is the better runner and would be better at the read option, taking pressure off a young qb having to make plays with his arm. ES who has more qb experienced in hs but didnt finish his sr season seems like the more logical option at RSing to me with him being more of a passer but hes also athletic and can make plays with his legs. I'm personally looking more forward to seeing these 2 qbs than the ones we have committed.

With 2 hs qb commits for next season, do yall think we could some how redshirt both of them? having 4 qbs bunched up like that doesnt make much sense. Damien Williams was in the same spot last year behind TR and DP and Mullen threw the RS off him early and it ended up paying off in the last 2 games but I wonder if Mullen does that if TR doesnt get hurt 1st gm. i doubt it. BUt if we RS one and burn one then Dak's SR year we will have 6 qbs on scholly. 1 sr, 1 jr, 1 soph, 1 rsfr, and 2 tfr. Thats spaced out really good but doubt we dont see a transfer with all that competition. Regardless, this is the best ive felt about our qb situation ever. doesnt hurt having Dak show all these guys how to lead either.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 10:15 PM
I think nick will be our number three this year, but I think when it's all said and done EJ will pass him as far as backing up and starting after dak (if I had to choose between the two)

thedawg
07-22-2014, 10:19 PM
I think Fitz because of his head start... Also hes a better runner.. If we play the third guy it will be to run to keep some shots off of Dak

Pokerdawg44
07-22-2014, 10:22 PM
has it been determined 100% rather EJ plays just football? or is basketball still up in the air? cant imagine having a d1 qb play 2 sports. then again Mcnabb and Charlie ward did it.

Schultzy
07-22-2014, 10:36 PM
I like the way Fitz throws it with that quick release, similar to Marino's motion but I'm not saying he's in that caliber. Having the size and skill of Staley in there too, it's going to have to shake out somehow but I'm glad we are finally the one having this going on instead of wondering how the others schools manage to have so many talented qb's in their system all at once.

preachermatt83
07-22-2014, 10:41 PM
I think nick will be our number three this year, but I think when it's all said and done EJ will pass him as far as backing up and starting after dak (if I had to choose between the two)

I agree with every word of this.. I believe Elijah Staley will be an all American his junior year. I really do. He has an AMAZING arm and he can run the read option with the best in the business.

smootness
07-22-2014, 10:47 PM
I would be hesitant to call Fitzgerald the better runner. Staley is very effective running the ball and will lower his shoulder when he needs to. He covers a lot of ground very quickly. I actually think he'll end up being the more effective runner of the two.

preachermatt83
07-22-2014, 10:48 PM
I would be hesitant to call Fitzgerald the better runner. Staley is very effective running the ball and will lower his shoulder when he needs to. He covers a lot of ground very quickly. I actually think he'll end up being the more effective runner of the two.

Amen and Amen!

TXDawg
07-22-2014, 10:50 PM
has it been determined 100% rather EJ plays just football? or is basketball still up in the air? cant imagine having a d1 qb play 2 sports. then again Mcnabb and Charlie ward did it.

J. Winston (FSU)...

He's pretty good...

Todd4State
07-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Knowing Dan, Fitzgerald will probably be the number three. Staley is more athletic and has the higher upside though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Staley just ends up playing basketball though. I think it may depend on where he contributes more sooner. Which for us is likely in basketball.

Todd4State
07-22-2014, 10:52 PM
J. Winston (FSU)...

He's pretty good...

You think Saban regrets not letting him play baseball?

IMO I think it's easier to play football and college baseball than it is to play football and college basketball because of how the seasons overlap.

With college baseball you're pretty much just working around the spring game.

smootness
07-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Knowing Dan, Fitzgerald will probably be the number three. Staley is more athletic and has the higher upside though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Staley just ends up playing basketball though. I think it may depend on where he contributes more sooner. Which for us is likely in basketball.

The only thing is, he has a potential future in football. He doesn't, IMO, in basketball. He's coming on football scholarship to play QB. I don't think he's going to play a whole lot of basketball, honestly.

SDDawg
07-22-2014, 11:01 PM
I think it's Fitz because of his early start but that won't mean much, good chance they both RS so they're basically on the same track. I do think one of them changes positions though before it's all over with...

Irondawg
07-22-2014, 11:03 PM
I have seen only limited highlights of ES but I was quite impressed with Fitzgerald in the Spring game. I know the limitations of what you can learn in that type of game but he looked ready to be the #3 then. If ES is as good as people say then we are in fine shape at QB and next year the fight for #2 will be quite impressive.

Pokerdawg44
07-23-2014, 01:24 AM
J. Winston (FSU)...

He's pretty good...

much more difficult to play fb and basketball than fb and baseball. most of the time the fb coach doesnt want a scholarship athlete at risk playing another sport. Bruce Ellington of usc did it. Winston does baseball but that was a recruiting pitch fsu used to get him. D Wilson tried both but it didnt work out. not sure if it was his decision or DM but its quite obvious where his future belongs. not many can pull off big time fb and basketball. Staley is a pretty legit bball prospect so we'll see.

Pokerdawg44
07-23-2014, 01:55 AM

smootness, i put alot of stock into your post so this make me feel much better about Staley. It will be VERY interesting QB battle after Dak graduates. Damien the SR, Fitzgerald the JR, and Staley the rsSOPH. Then you'll have 2 rsFR, Virgil and Tiano. We'll probably have more of an idea who will win it out by then but that spring game should be fun.

its obvious the more mobile the qb is, the more potential they have in our offense, so if Staley is as good as runner as you say he is then it only makes sense to redshirt him and utilize his 4 yrs of eligibility the best you can. i think in a perfect msu scenario, Staley reaches his potential despite great efforts by other qbs and takes over after Dak.

DownwardDawg
07-23-2014, 06:15 AM
I agree with everyone so far. I think it's Nick this year and I think he WILL play a little. I don't think we redshirt him. In a couple of years, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

PassInterference
07-23-2014, 06:59 AM
I think we roll 3 QBs. Two QBs get time in most games. The 3rd QB gets mop up duty against weak OOC teams.

DownwardDawg
07-23-2014, 07:51 AM
I think we roll 3 QBs. Two QBs get time in most games. The 3rd QB gets mop up duty against weak OOC teams.

I think Nick will rush for 2 TD's against usm.

Political Hack
07-23-2014, 08:24 AM
if we get down to depending on the #3 true freshman, we're toast regardless. Play Nicky Fitz and RS Staley to save that year for him. 5th Yr Sr > true freshman 90% of the time, especially at QB. Also, it only gives him 1 season to have to be a primary back up. Then he battles for the starting job for 3 years.

I think Fitz will be a great role player and even be our guy in spots, but if Staley hits his top end potential there's no way you can keep him off the field.

DownwardDawg
07-23-2014, 08:29 AM
if we get down to depending on the #3 true freshman, we're toast regardless. Play Nicky Fitz and RS Staley to save that year for him. 5th Yr Sr > true freshman 90% of the time, especially at QB. Also, it only gives him 1 season to have to be a primary back up. Then he battles for the starting job for 3 years.

I think Fitz will be a great role player and even be our guy in spots, but if Staley hits his top end potential there's no way you can keep him off the field.

Well, just remember, our #3 true freshman this season beat Arkansas and kept us even with ole miss for 3.25 quarters. That's why we HAVE TO play one of those guys this year. I'm hoping to save Staley.

Political Hack
07-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Well, just remember, our #3 true freshman this season beat Arkansas and kept us even with ole miss for 3.25 quarters. That's why we HAVE TO play one of those guys this year. I'm hoping to save Staley.

oh I think one plays. I just don't expect us to burn a full year of Staley for limited 3 rd down role. Plus, I think Fitz's wheels and spring will help him out tremendously this season. Need to give Staley time to get comfortable and explore the basketball thing too.

BrunswickDawg
07-23-2014, 08:45 AM
I think Nick will rush for 2 TD's against usm.

From what I saw him do back in October against Glynn Academy, 2 TDs rushing and 1 throwing against USM, UT-M, or USA is not at all out of the question. Having gone through spring, I think Nick is definitely the #3 - for now. MSU has a stable of QB's, and I think it will only get better with Dan here.

I never thought I would ever write "MSU" and "stable of QB's" in the same sentence!

maroonmania
07-23-2014, 08:55 AM

No doubt it would be tough sledding with a true freshman QB but no way would we automatically be toast, that just isn't true. The best year Croom ever had (2007) and only bowl year was with a true freshman QB starting named Wesley Carroll. Last year Williams certainly showed some ability to keep us in games and he wasn't as highly recruited as the 2 guys we have coming in this year.

Maroons
07-23-2014, 08:59 AM
It can't be overlooked that Fitzgerald also participated in bowl practices and offseason conditioning. He has a huge headstart for this upcoming year.

DownwardDawg
07-23-2014, 09:02 AM
I never thought I would ever write "MSU" and "stable of QB's" in the same sentence!

I know. Crazy talk!!

RAYn_Man
07-23-2014, 09:15 AM
D Wilson tried both but it didnt work out. not sure if it was his decision or DM but its quite obvious where his future belongs. not many can pull off big time fb and basketball. Staley is a pretty legit bball prospect so we'll see.

Derunnya was more of an athlete that could compete in basketball. From what I understand, Staley is a legitimate basketball player.

FISHDAWG
07-23-2014, 09:22 AM
No doubt it would be tough sledding with a true freshman QB but no way would we automatically be toast, that just isn't true. The best year Croom ever had (2007) and only bowl year was with a true freshman QB starting named Wesley Carroll. Last year Williams certainly showed some ability to keep us in games and he wasn't as highly recruited as the 2 guys we have coming in this year.

which brings another scenario to mind ... could NF or ES possibly surpass Williams as the # 2

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 09:24 AM
which brings another scenario to mind ... could NF or ES possibly surpass Williams as the # 2

I don't think so. IMO he showed enough in those games last season to tell me that he's a very capable number two and can fill in for dak when needed. I'm not seeing him in practice or anything, but to do that as a true freshman makes me think he's got that spot locked down

FISHDAWG
07-23-2014, 09:34 AM
I don't think so. IMO he showed enough in those games last season to tell me that he's a very capable number two and can fill in for dak when needed. I'm not seeing him in practice or anything, but to do that as a true freshman makes me think he's got that spot locked down

I hear what you're saying but I don't remember much of a passing game from him

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 09:40 AM

There wasn't much of one, but he wasn't really asked to do that. As a true freshman agains SEC competition I think he was more thrown in not to screw it up, not to go out and light it up and I think he performed OK enough to do that. I certainly think they could take that spot, but I think right now he has it locked down and it's his to lose. JMO tho.

Here's his line: http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/430/1056186/passing/split.html

DownwardDawg
07-23-2014, 09:44 AM

He looked to have a great arm to me. The dude threw bullets that were dropped. I think because seeing the ball come from a different QB with release. IDK. Maybe that doesn't make sense at all.

Our receivers killed Williams in the Bama game. Several drops that should have been caught. Wilson dropped one at the goal line on 4th down that would have made the score 20-14.

jumbo
07-23-2014, 10:06 AM
I'll go with Fitz simply because he's been through bowl and spring practice.

Pollodawg
07-23-2014, 10:38 AM

Yup. If ES ever maximizes his true potential, he will be too good not to play. I mean, come on. Kid is 6'5" and 245. Good Lord.

Pollodawg
07-23-2014, 10:40 AM
He looked to have a great arm to me. The dude threw bullets that were dropped. I think because seeing the ball come from a different QB with release. IDK. Maybe that doesn't make sense at all.

Our receivers killed Williams in the Bama game. Several drops that should have been caught. Wilson dropped one at the goal line on 4th down that would have made the score 20-14.

I still say that we would have pulled the upset of the century for us if Dak starts that game. Wilson dropped a pass that literally hit him in the palm of his hands. Wide open. Those are the plays you absolutely have to make to take the next level as a team.

deltadawg99
07-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Fitz hands down. EJ basically didn't play last year, while Fitz played his senior year and has already been on campus for a Spring.

War Machine Dawg
07-23-2014, 12:55 PM

D-Will might be the best pure passer of all our QBs. Quick release, solid mechanics. Nice touch, especially on the deep ball. Staley or Fitz will have to be absolutely ridiculous, which isn't out of the realm of possibility, to overtake D-Will, though. I've been very, very impressed with what I've seen from him so far, and he seems to have the all-important "intangibles" that make a good QB.

Johnson85
07-23-2014, 01:25 PM
You redshirt Staely unless:

You expect him to be gone after RS Junior year regardless or you think it might push him to play basketball full time

If you think Fitz will be the better player long term, maybe you go ahead and red shirt him. But then you're losing a #3 with a full spring and summer under his belt and replacing him with a FR that didn't even play his full senior year of high school. Usually your #3 doesn't matter, but we proved last year it can matter.