PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if a recruit were to read 6pack.......

Goat Holder
05-18-2013, 07:58 AM
They are being pretty vicious, especially to Daryl Norris. I know all the party lines.....nobody cares about message boards, they should be mentally tougher, etc. But all that is bullshit. Nobody wants to read that crap about themselves or their son/cousin/dad/etc. Why do we eat our own in this fanbase? I mean the guy went out there and played baseball, he didn't purposely hurt MSU.

So, in the end, if you feel the need to say I'm being too sensitive, basically go f*ck yourself. Criticize Cohen all you want, but they are going a little far talking about how Norris should transfer and shit. Especially in the subject line of the post. Real MSU supporters should probably pull their hits/ads/whatever from that shit 'MSU' site. These message boards are free......ANYONE can read them. Remember that. It's not hard to find these things. A simple 'Mississippi State message board' google search yields it.

Ronny
05-18-2013, 09:29 AM
...Daryl Norris has ever heard of sixpackspeak.com, much less ever read it.

I think we are safe in that regard.

But speaking of Norris specifically: I don't know the story on Norris, nor do I blame hiim for what happened.

Because for any coach to ask him to pitch in a situation that pressurized & critical is one of craziest things I have ever seen happen in a sporting event.

msstate7
05-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Maybe a crazier situation was bringing ct into pitch when holder and girodo were available. When your coach makes 2 crazy pitching decisions against a good team, you lose

engie
05-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Good questions here Goat.

They are being pretty vicious, especially to Daryl Norris. I know all the party lines.....nobody cares about message boards, they should be mentally tougher, etc. But all that is bullshit. Nobody wants to read that crap about themselves or their son/cousin/dad/etc. Why do we eat our own in this fanbase? I mean the guy went out there and played baseball, he didn't purposely hurt MSU.
Because SPS is the only large public "single team centric" board in the SEC that I'm aware of which allows open bashing of current players and recruits -- it's allowed practically nowhere else -- under the pretense that those players can(and probably do) read it. Go bash a recruit or say something stupid about a current player on Volnation, Hogville, etc...and see how long your IP lasts on those sites. Those sites, themselves, choose to control the perception. SPS gives them a safe haven with a large and public voice. That's because those sites are generally dedicated to actually HELPING the cause of the university. SPS ceased to exist in that capacity a long, long time ago -- maybe the beginning really.

So, in the end, if you feel the need to say I'm being too sensitive, basically go f*ck yourself. Criticize Cohen all you want, but they are going a little far talking about how Norris should transfer and shit.
Absolutely ridiculous. Agreed. Kid throws one bad pitch -- in a situation he should have NEVER been in -- and SPS labels him an eternal bust and asks for his transfer. That is exactly the type of overreaction that causes me to go full retard on these boards sometimes -- because let's face it -- I"m JUST as pissed about the outcome as anybody else already, and with a short fuse, I CAN NOT DEAL with the ridiculous overreaction of the idiots. I haven't been over there at all since the Bradford pitching decision last night for this very reason...

Especially in the subject line of the post. Real MSU supporters should probably pull their hits/ads/whatever from that shit 'MSU' site. These message boards are free......ANYONE can read them. Remember that. It's not hard to find these things. A simple 'Mississippi State message board' google search yields it.
Exactly. This is the point some of us have been trying to convey FOREVER in recruiting over there -- while being labeled as sunshine pumpers, etc. It's about putting your best foot forward -- and expecting ANYTHING you say about a potential recruit to be read by that recruit. It takes about 45 seconds to set up Google Notifications to where they get push messages every time their name is mentioned online -- and of course they are going to read what it says. And the "ohhh if they are going to get their feelings hurt, they shouldn't be at MSU" crowd are f'n stupid and shortsighted. Jason Croom's mom admitted to this -- there are as many as 4-5 prospective recruits parents' posting openly on Volnation at once -- but when it comes to MSU, these parents just don't care enough to do a "background check" on universities they could potentially send their children to?

Fact is this -- I went through the recruiting process on a much smaller scale than these football players are -- and I can honestly say, outside of an actual MSU offer that never came(I had a Polk2 "invited walk-on" -- which he was famous for cutting and leaving with no other options at Christmas), I didn't have a f'n clue what I wanted to do. Who do you, then, listen to? Coaches that can(and do) lie? Parents that support you but don't try to make a decision for you like mine did? What better way to get the "pulse" of potential fanbases than to see what they are writing about you online "behind your back"? Of course the coaches are lying to you -- people you meet that are recruiting are lying to you, etc. I can honestly say -- if I had been granted an online resource such as SPS where people were actually writing about me as a recruit, I would have been reading the shit out of it...

I'd argue that the TRUE "air" of a fanbase is MOST ACCURATELY represented online -- and this is where we absolutely hurt ourselves far more often than we help ourselves.

engie
05-18-2013, 09:49 AM

So, you honestly believe practically all MSU fans know about SPS -- but none of the players? See the disconnect?

Now, hopefully he didn't get on there and go to reading last night -- but don't think for one second that word doesn't trickle back to him when people go full retard about him on there. There is literally one degree of separation between SPS and the players -- if that...

maroonmania
05-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Cohen lost that game in the 8th inning, what happened with Norris was just a situation where a guy was put in with an SEC game on the line that hasn't pitched but maybe 2 innings all year. In the 8th we should have either let Bracewell have at least one more batter to see what would happen OR put Holder in immediately if you planned on using him at all last night. I consider Holder and Bracewell our 2 best pitchers right now and I just wish we had gone down last night with our best pitching on the mound. We HAD to hold the 3-2 lead, once they tied it up it all went in their favor. Yes, Holder made a wild pitch at the wrong time but if you get him in BEFORE a man has reached 3rd then the wild pitch isn't nearly as critical. I just wish our freakin' offense would get some dang runs on the board before the last couple of innings. Thursday night we only had one run before the 8th and last night we only had one run before the 7th. If we could get 3 or 4 runs on the board during the first half of the game it would take a LOT of pressure off of every pitching decision that is made. But back to Norris, once we were done pitching Bracewell, Girodo and Holder I think we all knew we were fighting an uphill battle last night so no reason to bash Norris.

Coach34
05-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Things I know to be fact:

1. The athletic department monitors all the sites now
2. Most of the coaches read Sixpack (and Elitedawgs now)
3. Alot of the players read Sixpack- especially baseball.

I've gotten a call thru an intermediary before saying the athletic department requests that I no longer post about something. This person went on to say the department had a love/hate relationship with me. Loved some of my stuff- despised other things I did.

I've gotten emails from Meo Standsbury about my articles on M&W Nation requesting they be taken down.

Dawggeezer would indeed tell Stands what was being said on Sixpack- he wasnt kidding

So dont think for a minute those guys dont know what's being said

bluelightstar
05-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Good questions here Goat.

Because SPS is the only large public "single team centric" board in the SEC that I'm aware of which allows open bashing of current players and recruits -- it's allowed practically nowhere else -- under the pretense that those players can(and probably do) read it. Go bash a recruit or say something stupid about a current player on Volnation, Hogville, etc...and see how long your IP lasts on those sites. Those sites, themselves, choose to control the perception. SPS gives them a safe haven with a large and public voice. That's because those sites are generally dedicated to actually HELPING the cause of the university. SPS ceased to exist in that capacity a long, long time ago -- maybe the beginning really.

Come on engie, I don't agree with it either, but VolNation, Hogville, Kentucky's Rivals site, etc., all go full retard on players several times a week. I know it's nice to act like it's some MSU-only thing that holds us back, but that's just not true. Now I will admit our volume is higher - because (1) we're a smaller fanbase, and (2) our fanbase is generally more naturally negative anyway.

FFF
05-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Things I know to be fact:

1. The athletic department monitors all the sites now
2. Most of the coaches read Sixpack (and Elitedawgs now)
3. Alot of the players read Sixpack- especially baseball.

I've gotten a call thru an intermediary before saying the athletic department requests that I no longer post about something. This person went on to say the department had a love/hate relationship with me. Loved some of my stuff- despised other things I did.

I've gotten emails from Meo Standsbury about my articles on M&W Nation requesting they be taken down.

Dawggeezer would indeed tell Stands what was being said on Sixpack- he wasnt kidding

So dont think for a minute those guys dont know what's being said

I do my best to stay off the board during a game for this very reason... and if I post (I sometimes do...) I try to make it as factual as possible... for instance...

Hunter Renfroe strikes out at the plate with the bases loaded, 1 out in a crucial situation... I deem OK to say something like...
"Renfroe has left 13 runners on base now in the last 2 games..."

What I DON'T deem ok to say...
"Renfroe is GOD AWFUL in clutch situations!1!!1 He's Terrible!1!! He never comes through for us when it matters!111!!"

The problem is, most fans automatically emotionally melt down when something doesn't go their way. Many of us played sports growing up, some more than others. Good coaches teach their players to not respond emotionally to things that happen on the field (John Wooden preached this his entire career), and instead, dig in and do the absolute best you are capable of in every situation. That takes a mature person to handle that... Most of what you see during games are purely emotional outburst... read SP or ED (game thread, specifically) last night for a prime example... going into the 8th, we sucked... we were awful... fans were throwing in the towel on our season, but then, we rally and all the sudden we are unstoppable and on top of the world.

Most of our players I would think are smart enough and mature enough to not let the emotional bullshit get to them... good or bad. There are times where there is some healthy criticisms of our players/coaches on here... but most people have become so polarized, whenever something good/bad happens, immediately they go to an extreme... that's what I think we see much of during games...

- Criticism, I'm ok with... it better be mature and healthy criticism and not done in the middle of a game...
- Emotional bursts of "Norris should transfer" after he left his first pitch (a hanging breaking ball) up in the zone and a good hitter smashed the shit out of it (they had been laying off first pitches all night), completely immature and uncalled for. Norris also went on to get the next batter out.

FFF
05-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Maybe a crazier situation was bringing ct into pitch when holder and girodo were available. When your coach makes 2 crazy pitching decisions against a good team, you lose

Cohen put in Cox Friday night for a matchup to get one batter out... and Cox was successful... I haven't heard anyone say that was a dumb move. Putting CT in was no different than Cox if you are going to make that argument. There were a few of those moves in the Alabama series, too.

Cohen did nothing last night he hasn't done all year.

BeastMan
05-18-2013, 11:34 AM
I agree 100% with your distinction b/t the 2 types of post FFF. Nothing wrong with factual but personal attacks is another thing. There should be a tutorial on it. The stats speak for themselves anyway. For example: Kaleb Eulls has 2.5 sacks is 26 career starts. What else needs to be said? Nothing

msstate7
05-18-2013, 11:35 AM
He put in a lesser pitcher and bc of that he had to put in a lesser cf. He got burned by doing both. If he was gonna bring in holder anyway, why not do it there? By bringing ct in he also burned our dh. That led to having to take girodo to lead off the 10th. That move was stupid, but if you like it that's your option

Coach34
05-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Cox is not a dual position player- he is a pitcher
CT was brought in half warm at the most critical point of the game

It was a bad move- plain and simple. Especially when you know hosting a regional is predicated on you winning the series- go with your best

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 11:37 AM
All I'll say is anyone that blames that loss on Daryl Norris needs to get their head out of their ass.

msstate7
05-18-2013, 11:38 AM
He put in a lesser pitcher and bc of that he had to put in a lesser cf. He got burned by doing both. If he was gonna bring in holder anyway, why not do it there? By bringing ct in he also burned our dh. That led to having to take girodo to lead off the 10th. That move was stupid, but if you like it that's your option
And it wasn't hindsight. Read the game thread. I said it was bad move when he was bringing ct in

msstate7
05-18-2013, 11:39 AM
All I'll say is anyone that blames that loss on Daryl Norris needs to get their head out of their ass.

I agree. It should've been over way before Norris pitched

Will James
05-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Cohen put in Cox Friday night for a matchup to get one batter out... and Cox was successful... I haven't heard anyone say that was a dumb move. Putting CT in was no different than Cox if you are going to make that argument. There were a few of those moves in the Alabama series, too.

Cohen did nothing last night he hasn't done all year.

We were down 3 in the 7th inning when Cox went in Friday.

We were up 1 in the 8th with a runner on 1st when we put CT in.

No similarities.

FFF
05-18-2013, 11:40 AM

I didn't said I liked it (I don't like the constant shuffling of pitchers for a matchup, anyway), but I'm not surprised because Cohen has done it many times this year already, and it has worked before. Also, we were playing NOT to have to play a 10th inning... Cohen knew that and Cohen did everything he could to keep from having to play a 10th inning... we got burned doing it, but SC is a solid ball club. We were a base hit/walk/HBP/WP/PB away from ending the game in the 9th, but we couldn't get it done.

msstate7
05-18-2013, 11:43 AM
I didn't said I liked it (I don't like the constant shuffling of pitchers for a matchup, anyway), but I'm not surprised because Cohen has done it many times this year already, and it has worked before. Also, we were playing NOT to have to play a 10th inning... Cohen knew that and Cohen did everything he could to keep from having to play a 10th inning... we got burned doing it, but SC is a solid ball club. We were a base hit/walk/HBP/WP/PB away from ending the game in the 9th, but we couldn't get it done.

That I agree with. I really hate they hit pirtle to load up bases for rea. Pirtle would've given us a better at bat there

FFF
05-18-2013, 11:45 AM
That I agree with. I really hate they hit pirtle to load up bases for rea. Pirtle would've given us a better at bat there

I have every reason to believe that was an intentional HBP, too.

Detz- Doubles... huge hit

Runner at 2, 2 outs

Renfroe - has been ice cold for 2 weeks now, but still is one of the conferences leading hitters... take the bat away from him and set up a force play in a key situation
BUT...
put him on base for a red-hot Pirtle (has had a hot bat now for a while... ) minimize potential damage and put him on base... don't let his bat beat you... pick a good spot in the count and hit him in the back

Then you have Rea... who has had some HR's, but doesn't pose the threat Pirtle or Renfroe do... go after him and take your chances with him.

Could be a theory, but out of Renfroe, Pirtle, or Rea, who would you rather pitch to and take your chances with with the game being on the line?

Will James
05-18-2013, 11:46 AM
I have every reason to believe that was an intentional HBP, too.

Not sure if serious.

msstate7
05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Not sure if serious.

Don't know if they did or not, but pirtle did burn them earlier

Will James
05-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Don't know if they did or not, but pirtle did burn them earlier

You are never going to intentionally move a player to third base.

FFF
05-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Why would you not? It's certainly plausible... Renfroe is one of the conferences leading hitters (despite being ice cold) and Pirtle had 2 hits last night (and Detz/Frost was in scoring position already). If they felt they could effectively pitch to Rea, they might have felt taking the bat out of Pirtle's hands and pitching to Rea was their best chance of sending the game to extras. It worked, didn't it?

Will James
05-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Why would you not? It's certainly plausible... Renfroe is one of the conferences leading hitters (despite being ice cold) and Pirtle had 2 hits last night (and Detz/Frost was in scoring position already). If they felt they could effectively pitch to Rea, they might have felt taking the bat out of Pirtle's hands and pitching to Rea was their best chance of sending the game to extras. It worked, didn't it?

First off there are numerous ways to score from third that you can't from second. Like exactly how SC tied the game at 3. Secondly if you were goin to do that you would IBB him not try to hit him.

The idea that he was hit on purpose to move to Rea who happened to crush a HR off the same pitcher the night before is ludicrous.

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 12:08 PM

LOL. If you are going to do that, you might as well just walk him. You run the risk of getting one of your guys thrown at if you hit him too.

The Croom Diaries
05-18-2013, 12:19 PM

You underestimate the size and scope of the pack. Players are students just like we all were, and the baseball players are even more like most people on message boards for reasons I'm sure you can figure out. They read the stuff. We've had a few baseball players thank us for promoting baseball on FWtCT. Coaches and players retweet our articles and stuff. They probably are instructed not to tweet links to message boards because they are a different animal, but make no mistake that some of them read the boards. If for nothing else, most of the baseball players are also fans of the football and basketball teams just like the rest of us.

As for the original post by Goat - I agree there is no reason to bash a college player unless they are just not trying their best. Blame the coaches. Norris could have gotten on his hands and knees and begged Cohen to come in the game, but in the end it is Cohen's decision and he has to make a better one than that.

Will James
05-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I think you can blame players, like how we all talk about Hendersons DP's, Renfroe's hitting with RISP, Ross coming in with RISP, Lindgren's recent starts, Frosts defense, etc etc etc. A lot of things just can't be directed to Cohen.

But keep your discussion between the lines. Talking about their play is a different animal than suggesting someone quit or transfer or talking about personal attributes.

FFF
05-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Because you just walked Renfroe. I'm discussing my thoughts... maybe it was completely unintentional, but I wouldn't rule out the idea of intentionally putting Pirtle on base and pitching to Rea. Adam Westmoreland has only walked 5 guys coming into this weekend, SC has only given had 6 WP (which leads the conference) all year, and Greyson Greiner had only given up one PB (aside from a hit, those are the only other possibilities of scoring a run there... unless Frost tries to steal... or a Balk... which Westmoreland has none), so I think it's legitimate they wanted to try to pitch to Rea.

M.Fillmore
05-18-2013, 12:31 PM
SixPack is a waste of bandwidth. You can eat your own, be wholly irrational about your own, but HD6 posted a list of things that will get you banned from the board relating to what you cannot say about Ole Miss (despite the fact such posts would be factual).

Also to have the moderator of a rival's message board to be a moderator of your message board places one in realm of no credibility.

engie
05-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Come on engie, I don't agree with it either, but VolNation, Hogville, Kentucky's Rivals site, etc., all go full retard on players several times a week. I know it's nice to act like it's some MSU-only thing that holds us back, but that's just not true. Now I will admit our volume is higher - because (1) we're a smaller fanbase, and (2) our fanbase is generally more naturally negative anyway.

I invite you to show me.

Those websites -- even when they meltdown -- are "cleansed" quickly -- and there is no archive of the ridiculous negativity most of the time, so it doesn't show up in searches years down the line.

What they do under extreme meltdown is form one comprehensive thread -- merge all the new stuff into that thread -- and once everyone gets their venting in, they delete the thread just like it was never there.

Ronny
05-18-2013, 01:38 PM
SixPack is a waste of bandwidth. You can eat your own, be wholly irrational about your own, but HD6 posted a list of things that will get you banned from the board relating to what you cannot say about Ole Miss (despite the fact such posts would be factual).

Also to have the moderator of a rival's message board to be a moderator of your message board places one in realm of no credibility.

..one reason I assumed Norris doesn't read sixpack...nor any other MSU athletes for that matter.

By now it is common knowledge sixpack allows some Ole Miss hack to act as one of their board administrators.

For anybody associated with MSU, that should tell you sixpackspeak.com is no longer a serious Miss. State sports site...it's a pure business venture using their constant shitstorms as a means to garner as many site hits as possible.

If I wanted to start a MSU messageboard with the sole intent being to make money, & if I wanted constant traffic & a high daily hit count, I would definitely allow Nurse Vicky & Rebel7 (for example) to troll my board & keep my board in constant flame mode.

That wouldn't lend anything positive to Miss. State athletics, but it would certainly line my pockets with cash.

CadaverDawg
05-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Our fans are dumb as shit. That's one reason I have enjoyed this board during baseball season so far...there are too many people over there that think they know baseball but they don't know shit (there are some good baseball posters over there, but lots of morons too). Read the thread about our recruiting and how so many people are saying our recruiting sucks and acting like Cohen needs to step it up. What a dumb ****ing thread. We are in better shape than we've been in a freaking decade in baseball, and we have fans bitching about the coach. Just ****ing stupid. Last night and this morning has pissed me off more than I've ever been when it comes to our fans.

I understand bitching about certain moves Cohen makes, but to act like he is doing a bad job as a coach and/or recruiter is just idiotic.

bluelightstar
05-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I consider all this to be a huge exercise in overreaction

Political Hack
05-18-2013, 01:56 PM
egg zachery Goat. if you're going to criticize someone, aim it at the coaches and administrators who are getting paid a 6 or 7 figure salary to win games and put a great product together for our fans. Hammering a 17 - 22 year old student for their performance on the field is chicken chit. If they need to be criticized for off the field matters, I get that. But going after someone for poor performance on the field sucks.

I hated when people criticized Tyson Lee. He didn't even take a scholarship from us. All he did was prove he was our best option at QB. Coaches didnt recruit anyone better. Didn't offer a scholarship to anyone better. And couldn't find anyone better once the season arrived... yet somehow he ended up being the one to get blasted on the boards. So dumb...

msstate7
05-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I consider all this to be a huge exercise in overreaction

I agree. I don't think recruits base their decision of which college to attend on how fans react on message boards.

Political Hack
05-18-2013, 02:09 PM
it opens cracks in the door for other schools. It helps a lot when hotty toddy trots in and shows momma and we buy some print outs of what State fans are saying about her boy on an MSU message board. It might not be a game changer, but it gets them back in the game and back in the discussion more times than not. I can promise you people, including coaches, freak out when our fans out stupid stuff on the boards.

msstate7
05-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Yea I suppose so. I would hope parents would see that as desperation though.

Coach34
05-18-2013, 02:14 PM

You have varying levels on intelligence among the recruits parents- as well as varied temper levels...all that plays a part

msstate7
05-18-2013, 02:22 PM
You have varying levels on intelligence among the recruits parents- as well as varied temper levels...all that plays a part

You're right. If a coach brought a bunch of copies of message board rants to my living room, I'd feel sorry for him. I'm not everyone though.

Political Hack
05-18-2013, 02:32 PM
it's petty gamesmanship, but it works sometimes. Also gives them an excuse once they've taken the bait a la CJ.

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 05:45 PM

You have to understand- a lot of these parents think that their kid is going to be a superstar. Whether that's reality or not.

Maybe more importantly, they want to send their kid someplace that is "good" for them. If they see MSU people bashing their kid, there is a chance that they may not consider MSU to be a good place for their kid.

Would you send your child to a school or organization where you think that the people there won't like them and may say harmful things about them? Not to get into a public/private school debate, but that's why a LOT of parents send their kids to one school vs. the other.

Todd4State
05-18-2013, 05:49 PM
it's petty gamesmanship, but it works sometimes. Also gives them an excuse once they've taken the bait a la CJ.

There needs to be some better communication between the athletic dept and the message boards. I don't think it would be very difficult at all for the AD to contact all the guys that run the MSU boards and say "Hey, I'm with MSU and I monitor your board. In the past there have been some things said that have hurt MSU with regards to recruiting." And then make that person in the AD a moderator who can censor the board.

It's not like the guys that run these boards are secretive figures. And I think they all love MSU- including DS. Well, Gene maybe I question sometimes.

msstate7
05-18-2013, 05:53 PM
You have to understand- a lot of these parents think that their kid is going to be a superstar. Whether that's reality or not.

Maybe more importantly, they want to send their kid someplace that is "good" for them. If they see MSU people bashing their kid, there is a chance that they may not consider MSU to be a good place for their kid.

Would you send your child to a school or organization where you think that the people there won't like them and may say harmful things about them? Not to get into a public/private school debate, but that's why a LOT of parents send their kids to one school vs. the other.

I see you guys point. Any informed parent should realize there are over zealous fans at every school. The same recruiters that print out crap off our message boards prob print out the same crap off every message board of the teams that kid is considering.