PDA

View Full Version : Has the Offensive Line Been the Problem?

engie
07-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Just finished throwing this together really quick. Some interesting potential conclusions from the numbers...

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/07/22/offensive-line-problem/

pdawg10msu
07-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Good article. Thanks engie.

blacklistedbully
07-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Good article, Engie.

starkvegasdawg
07-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Good article, indeed. Aside from the depth my main concern is how much will we miss Gabe in there. That's an elite lineman lost to the draft. It could be that the 2014 line gels together and performs just as well as the one last year. I really hope that they do. That and actually having a solid FG game will make the difference in having a special season and one that we all sit around drunk wondering what might have been.

engie
07-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I'd love to have enough info to be able to write something about the FG game. Problem is, all of our guys can hit them in practice, so we probably won't actually know what we have there until after the LSU game...

Political Hack
07-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Concur. I think Russell being asked to run more complex five count drops would factor in a lot too, but that discrepancy is so large it's more than just that. I also think the OL actually plays harder for Dak too. If they get beat, they don't immediately give up because he may escape and be able to still make a play. With TR it was pretty much over once the OL broke down.

Coach34
07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Interesting- we're a better offense with Dakota and JRob in the game. I've only said that a thousand times. And yes, I know I wasnt the only one.

Nice job Engie

1998Dawg
07-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Very good article indeed. As has been pointed out, I think a lot of it is because TR was a statue in the pocket and couldn't outrun my 5 year old. Dak is clearly opposite.

But further you got to look at the depth and not just depth, but quality of linemen we are starting to have. We have a bunch of a guys who have put in their yrs in the program and gained experience. I see some folks sayin their nervous about our OLine but I don't see it. Starting 5 will be one of the top units in the SEC by end of the year rankings (rankings that matter) and the depth is there, Dan knows what he's doing and he's done a terrrific job identifying hidden gems who the Alabamas of the world simply miss.

Dawgcentral
07-22-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm always concerned about the offensive line. I think jrob got more yards because he ran lower, hit the line quicker, and had better lower body strength than LP. I also believe having a senior at the center position calling the blocking schemes will be an advantage.

Let's don't forget Griffin folks. I think his time has come. He's worked hard to get back, and even with Shump in there, I have high hopes for him.

Of course as we all know, injuries are the unknown factor. We'll be fine up front with no season ending mishaps.

Dak won't be taking many sacks. Just my opinion. If they send everyone he's going to make them pay.

preachermatt83
07-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Engie, we may very seldom agree when it comes to baseball but we almost always agree on FB stuff and this is no different. Outstanding piece.. good job!

BeardoMSU
07-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Great article, Engie!

Martianlander
07-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Excellent

CadaverDawg
07-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Really good read. I have seen you post a lot of these numbers at different times, just not all together at once. It really makes me feel better about the OL. Definitely confirms that Perkins was being used wrong, and that Robinson should have seen way more touches last year, but then again Perk was probably a better pass protector due to experience. Regardless, it should make everyone feel great about Dak and JRob both being first string going into the season, and the potential that this offensive unit has this season.

Excellent write up, engie

FISHDAWG
07-22-2014, 09:38 PM
good read Engie ... nice approach to a nagging question that so many of us have

JDog13
07-22-2014, 10:16 PM
I could be way out in left field here, but I feel like JRob just hit the holes in a more North/South fashion. I think his straight ahead running style allowed him to accumulate more yards. I always thought LDP tried to dance and juke too much. I always felt like we were better with JRob running the ball. I think all the side stepping Perkins did allowed the defenders more time to get to him, and allowed the linemen more time to get off their blockers. I loved what Perkins did for us, but I always felt he ran like Anthony Dixon did when he played under Croom. I would see Dixon try and juke people, only to be brought down near the LOS. Under Mullen and Knox, I felt like Dixon ran more North/South. Dixon just seemed to thrive after Mullen took over. Whether is was a different running back coach, or different offensive scheme, Dixon was awesome in 2009. Ballard had a more straightforward running stlye. He hit the holes fast and managed to get into the linebackers faster than Perkins did.

I may be wrong with what I'm saying because I don't know the actual stats produced. I'm just speaking from what I thought when I watched these guys run. Perkins was a great back, I just always felt like he tried to make things happen with moves more than he relied on his great speed. When Perkins came out of the backfield on routes, wheel routes etc., his speed and his hands were an awesome combination. Anyone else see the same or feel I'm wrong? I'd love to know what you guys think. You especially since you wrote the article, Engie.

Todd4State
07-22-2014, 10:45 PM
I could be way out in left field here, but I feel like JRob just hit the holes in a more North/South fashion. I think his straight ahead running style allowed him to accumulate more yards. I always thought LDP tried to dance and juke too much. I always felt like we were better with JRob running the ball. I think all the side stepping Perkins did allowed the defenders more time to get to him, and allowed the linemen more time to get off their blockers. I loved what Perkins did for us, but I always felt he ran like Anthony Dixon did when he played under Croom. I would see Dixon try and juke people, only to be brought down near the LOS. Under Mullen and Knox, I felt like Dixon ran more North/South. Dixon just seemed to thrive after Mullen took over. Whether is was a different running back coach, or different offensive scheme, Dixon was awesome in 2009. Ballard had a more straightforward running stlye. He hit the holes fast and managed to get into the linebackers faster than Perkins did.

I may be wrong with what I'm saying because I don't know the actual stats produced. I'm just speaking from what I thought when I watched these guys run. Perkins was a great back, I just always felt like he tried to make things happen with moves more than he relied on his great speed. When Perkins came out of the backfield on routes, wheel routes etc., his speed and his hands were an awesome combination. Anyone else see the same or feel I'm wrong? I'd love to know what you guys think. You especially since you wrote the article, Engie.

I agree with you. Perkins is an outside runner who has good hands in the passing game. Making him run between the tackles is not his forte. Most of Perkins big plays last year that I remember were in the passing game- the TD catch against Arkansas and the TD catch out of the backfield against Rice. Perkins might end up being a decent third down back in the NFL, but we shouldn't have asked him to run like Dixon.

I don't know how often it happened or anything, but in the stands I remember times where we would run an inside or outside zone and we would have blocked it well but Perkins would have a hard time finding the cut back lane.

Robinson is more of a between the tackles guy, but he can certainly kick it outside and get a big gain as well. He has home run ability. Him playing more is a big reason why I am excited next year.

preachermatt83
07-22-2014, 10:46 PM
I agree with you. Perkins is an outside runner who has good hands in the passing game. Making him run between the tackles is not his forte. Most of Perkins big plays last year that I remember were in the passing game- the TD catch against Arkansas and the TD catch out of the backfield against Rice. Perkins might end up being a decent third down back in the NFL, but we shouldn't have asked him to run like Dixon.

I don't know how often it happened or anything, but in the stands I remember times where we would run an inside or outside zone and we would have blocked it well but Perkins would have a hard time finding the cut back lane.

Robinson is more of a between the tackles guy, but he can certainly kick it outside and get a big gain as well. He has home run ability. Him playing more is a big reason why I am excited next year.

+1

Todd4State
07-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I'd love to have enough info to be able to write something about the FG game. Problem is, all of our guys can hit them in practice, so we probably won't actually know what we have there until after the LSU game...

I wouldn't be surprised if Devon Bell gets the first crack at FG kicker. And honestly, if he can get it through the uprights, he would be an awesome upgrade because he has the best range on the team.

preachermatt83
07-22-2014, 10:47 PM

you are right on the money.

JDog13
07-22-2014, 11:03 PM
you are right on the money.

Thanks, Matt. Congrats on getting the bears stirred up enough on twitter to call you out about being a preacher. Guess they never heard of Guy Odom eh?

preachermatt83
07-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks, Matt. Congrats on getting the bears stirred up enough on twitter to call you out about being a preacher. Guess they never heard of Guy Odom eh?

http://media.giphy.com/media/uWMwQYgYVHVGU/giphy.gif