PDA

View Full Version : Michael Sam

bulldogsmsu
07-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Pretty good article written by a person from my home town.

http://joshraybon.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/gay-isnt-the-new-black/

jimbo352
07-22-2014, 03:02 PM
this is about the 5th article I've seen on this topic While I agree the struggle of black people is far greater than that homosexuals face, and they do have the ability to choose when they "come out." It's still a shame anyone would have to hide who they are because they could be discriminated against or judged. Sure, they can hide it, but they shouldn't have to.

These articles come across as petty... It sounds like... Yea, yeah, yeah... You struggle, but you didn't struggle like they/we did/do... Is there some big list I don't know about where certain groups are given more pity than others...?

JMO, just sounds petty to me.

bulldogsmsu
07-22-2014, 03:04 PM
this is about the 5th article I've seen on this topic While I agree the struggle of black people is far greater than that homosexuals face, and they do have the ability to choose when they "come out." It's still a shame anyone would have to hide who they are because they could be discriminated against or judged. Sure, they can hide it, but they shouldn't have to.

These articles come across as petty... It sounds like... Yea, yeah, yeah... You struggle, but you didn't struggle like we did/do... Is there some big list I don't know about where certain groups are given more pity than others...?

Not that it matters, but this was actually written by a white man.

bulldogsmsu
07-22-2014, 03:06 PM

Scratch my comments I see your response was edited.

jimbo352
07-22-2014, 03:10 PM

It kind of does matter... I think this topic would be better covered by a black or gay man/woman, or someone with a similar background/experience... Then again... I guess a straight white mans opinion should be heard on topics such as race and sexuality too... It just sounded like he was speaking from personal experience.

His point still stands, I just don't necessarily agree.

Johnson85
07-22-2014, 03:25 PM

These articles come across as petty... It sounds like... Yea, yeah, yeah... You struggle, but you didn't struggle like they/we did/do... Is there some big list I don't know about where certain groups are given more pity than others...?

Yes, the CFR.

Only half way joking. As much time as we spend in the public sphere trying to designate groups worthy of special treatment because of past or current treatment of them, it's inevitable that there is going to be discussions regarding their pecking order. I don't think anything much matters beyond securing fair treatment, but there are people that think receiving preferential treatment for things like employment decisions, admission to competitive schools, and awarding of federal contracts/loans/grants is pretty important, so they are understandably concerned over how many groups are deemed worthy of preferential treatment.

Political Hack
07-22-2014, 03:35 PM
as a person who has been persecuted by ignorant people and/or people with an agenda, I demand inclusion on this list.

scottycameron
07-22-2014, 03:58 PM
as a person who has been persecuted by ignorant people and/or people with an agenda, I demand inclusion on this list.

Oh you can get on that list. What you have to do is pretty disgusting but it will get you on there. It appears there are some on here who could help you out, lol.

riding a horse one time may not make you a cowboy, but.... well, you know.

shoeless joe
07-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Why do people have to share who they have sex with? I don't wanna know...

I feel like when folks go out of their way to advertise they are doing it for attention and whatever benefits that can come from it. Maybe I'm wrong but it appears that way to me.

TheRef
07-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Question for you: What kind of media backlash would have happened if Michael Sam was NOT drafted.

Dawg61
07-22-2014, 05:03 PM
For all posters of ED that would like to continue this discussion please press the back button and click on the "Political Board". Thanks and have a wonderful day.

shoeless joe
07-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Question for you: What kind of media backlash would have happened if Michael Sam was NOT drafted.

I think it woulda been huge and he would be glorified even more as a martyr.

If he wanted to tell his Missouri teammates then so be it but why announce like he did? Why create the spectacle he did once drafted. As much as ESPN loves him now they woulda already aired a dozen 30 for 30s about him if he had gone Undrafted and no gotten signed.

msstate7
07-22-2014, 05:15 PM

What kind of media backlash will happen if they cut him? The rams are essentially stuck with him even if he isn't very good

I seen it dawg
07-22-2014, 05:21 PM
1. If the guy can't play his position well enough to make the roster he will get cut. No matter his orientation.

2. Why do people have to come out and announce it? Why not just say "so what" when they publicly are gay and someone asks them? It makes it a controversy when there is a big announcement and makes it attention-whorish.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Why do people have to share who they have sex with? I don't wanna know...

I feel like when folks go out of their way to advertise they are doing it for attention and whatever benefits that can come from it. Maybe I'm wrong but it appears that way to me.

Completely agree. I don't think johnny came out with "I'm straight" right before. Just tell your team, and let people figure it out on their own. Don't go on tv to tell people who don't give a shit. Just seems like he either a. Didn't think he would get drafted without saying it or b. Wanted attention

TheRef
07-22-2014, 05:24 PM
1. If the guy can't play his position well enough to make the roster he will get cut. No matter his orientation.

2. Why do people have to come out and announce it? Why not just say "so what" when they publicly are gay and someone asks them? It makes it a controversy when there is a big announcement and makes it attention-whorish.

They'll keep him on the team for a year. Scoop up all of the jersey sales they can with it. And then release him at the end of the season. Then we will have a huge spectacle of "Were the Rams wrong by cutting the first openly gay player in the NFL?"

I seen it dawg
07-22-2014, 05:31 PM
They'll keep him on the team for a year. Scoop up all of the jersey sales they can with it. And then release him at the end of the season. Then we will have a huge spectacle of "Were the Rams wrong by cutting the first openly gay player in the NFL?"

Possibly but I doubt it. If the guy can't help the team win games Fisher will cut him. Fishers job is to win games not sell jerseys and I have a feeling he would tell mgmt to bite his ass if they make him keep a guy he doesn't want to keep, just as if the guy earns it he will keep him. Thing is the guy was productive at Missouri and May be able to make an impact on the roster. He could be a quality special teamer maybe but the physical tools are just slightly above average according to the talking heads that aren't actually scared to evaluate him like every other player.

msstate7
07-22-2014, 05:32 PM

I disagree. The nfl wants Sam in the nfl and he'll be there

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 05:35 PM

Unfortunately I think you're right. And it makes me sick. Not because he's gay, but because he could very possibly (as his measurables suggest) not produce and remain on a team, stealing a roster spot from someone solely because of his story and his sexuality. And I think that's extremely unfair

Johnson85
07-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Completely agree. I don't think johnny came out with "I'm straight" right before. Just tell your team, and let people figure it out on their own. Don't go on tv to tell people who don't give a shit. Just seems like he either a. Didn't think he would get drafted without saying it or b. Wanted attention

Coming out before the draft was the right thing to do. You know it is a potential issue and there was no way it wasn't going to come out when his teammates knew. If I was a team considering drafting him I would very much appreciate him being up front about it rather than letting rumors swirl around.

He did I think make a mistake by addressing the issue beyond that if he wanted to do what was best for him from a purely football perspective. He should have simply notified the teams, said his teammates at Mizzou knew for the last season and it obviously wasn't an issue and he didn't expect it to be an issue going forward. If he wanted to be a football player and not a spokesman, he should have turned down all the offers for extracurriculars like reality shows and non-sports interviews, but I would guess he was under a lot of pressure to 'represent the gay community.' As long as he can make it through a rookie contract though, he will probably have secured himself a decent supplemental income on teh speaking circuit after football. I imagine it will be pretty lucrative for a very short period of time.

I seen it dawg
07-22-2014, 05:40 PM

I think the NFL has had it's time to shine on it when he announced and did the tour of shows and radio with NFLs help. August during camp will determine whether he sticks not what he sticks in August in his personal time.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Coming out before the draft was the right thing to do. You know it is a potential issue and there was no way it wasn't going to come out when his teammates knew. If I was a team considering drafting him I would very much appreciate him being up front about it rather than letting rumors swirl around.

Agree that he should've told teams. That's what pre draft interviews are for." Hey, I'm gay, all my teammates know, I want you to know, but not to come out publicly bc I dont want the attention". The fact that he did it publicly makes me believe it was for attention

scottycameron
07-22-2014, 05:48 PM

A grown man wearing a jersey is gay enough as it is. A grown man wearing a jersey of a gay guy is so overkill. It reminds me of a MLB game where they served kaluha and some other chocolate liquors in a cup made out of chocolate. I'm in the box wanting a hotdog and beer and they are drinking chocolate out of chocolate cups.

smootness
07-22-2014, 06:03 PM

I think it has merit because saying 'Michael Sam is the new Jackie Robinson' trivializes what Jackie Robinson went through. It makes it seem as though he was the first one to do it but other than that, it wasn't that difficult or groundbreaking.

Because, let's face it, Sam hasn't had to endure anything like what Robinson did. Relatively speaking, it's been pretty breezy and in fact, an incredibly large majority of people celebrated Sam instantly; not so with Robinson.

So that's why I think the article is legitimate rather than petty. It's not saying, 'Hey, Sam, you haven't had it as hard as us!' It's, 'let's remember what Robinson actually went through and keep it in its proper context.'

Smitty
07-22-2014, 06:21 PM
For all posters of ED that would like to continue this discussion please press the back button and click on the "Political Board". Thanks and have a wonderful day.

How do you get into the Political Board?

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Im just glad the eagles didnt draft him. They are ruthless.

Smitty
07-22-2014, 06:25 PM
I Seen It Dawg is right. With only 53 roster spots the Rams can't afford to keep him if he can't play.

Whats the "worse" storyline?
1. Rams cut him, face the cut a gay player media crusade, then drift into actual football
2. Rams keep him on scout team and its a story focus all year about why they won't let him play, is it the locker room, etc.