Dirtbagdawg
07-22-2014, 09:42 AM
I remember our athletic department asking the fans a few
months ago to come up with a name for the new student section, but
haven't heard anything about it. Anybody heard anything? Seems like
they changed their mind on that idea.

BulldogBear
07-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Whatever happens...DO NOT FORCE something. Let it happen naturally I say.

TheRef
07-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Whatever happens...DO NOT FORCE something. Let it happen naturally I say.

They'll force it. Just like they tried to force the basketball student section to be "The Dawg Pound" or something to that effect. I don't even remember what it was called now. I agree with you, though. Let it happen naturally. And if no name comes from it, so be it.

RougeDawg
07-22-2014, 09:52 AM
"Stay til the End-Zone". Difficult to name something that the students can't keep full the entire game and/or act like they really care about the games. When I was there (Grad in 08) the student section stayed full the entire game unless we were getting blown out, during the Croom years. If we were winning or in the game in the 4th, the student section was packed. The currenty pansy students are spoiled by the Mullen tenure and take it for granted. I wish every student had to endure the croom years. That would change the entire mentality of our students and keep the section packed every game. We need to do what Bama does. Keep track of who's tickets are scanned in and out, reward those who stay and send those who don't to the nose bleeds. That will also change mentalities toward game day.

Dirtbagdawg
07-22-2014, 09:52 AM
I agree. I just remember them
Making a big deal about it and saying they would announce it
Sometime at the first of July. I think they got a lot of
Negative feedback about the idea and decided against it

Lloyd Christmas
07-22-2014, 09:56 AM
We need to do what Bama does. Keep track of who's tickets are scanned in and out, reward those who stay and send those who don't to the nose bleeds. That will also change mentalities toward game day.

THIS ALL DAY. I've been preaching this for a while now. It is the only thing that will have a significant impact on students staying.

Dirtbagdawg
07-22-2014, 09:57 AM
"Stay til the End-Zone". Difficult to name something that the students can't keep full the entire game and/or act like they really care about the games. When I was there (Grad in 08) the student section stayed full the entire game unless we were getting blown out, during the Croom years. If we were winning or in the game in the 4th, the student section was packed. The currenty pansy students are spoiled by the Mullen tenure and take it for granted. I wish every student had to endure the croom years. That would change the entire mentality of our students and keep the section packed every game. We need to do what Bama does. Keep track of who's tickets are scanned in and out, reward those who stay and send those who don't to the nose bleeds. That will also change mentalities toward game day.

I agree. I graduated this past December and I was always one of the first ones in the stadium. I never understood why
People want to show up 10 minutes before kickoff. I love watching pregame. As far as the student section not being full, it is for the big games. I understand students wanting to
Leave early against teams like uab, south alabama, etc. I think it's funny how
Non students get mad at the student section but half of the "regular fans" sit on their ass
The entire game and hardly cheer. I recall several times looking over on 3rd down and people sitting
Down. If you want to sit on your ass and not cheer, sit at home in your recliner.

dickiedawg
07-22-2014, 09:58 AM
"Stay til the End-Zone".

Winner. Don't spend all your reputation in one place.

Dirtbagdawg
07-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Also, most students run out of liquor by halftime. And when drunk
Kids run out of boo's, they're going to
Leave to get more. It's that simple. I
Always paced myself so I
Didn't have that problem.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Big proponent of block and Greek seating for that reason. Fraternities get blocks based on size, campus groups get them, and the rest are first come first served. That'll tell you who stays

ETA: will also just naturally lead people to stay because they won't have to go into the stadium two and a half hours early to save seats. It's easier to stay in the heat for three hours than five.

DawgHouseUnited
07-22-2014, 10:06 AM
I agree. I graduated this past December and I was always one of the first ones in the stadium. I never understood why
People want to show up 10 minutes before kickoff. I love watching pregame. As far as the student section not being full, it is for the big games. I understand students wanting to
Leave early against teams like uab, south alabama, etc. I think it's funny how
Non students get mad at the student section but half of the "regular fans" sit on their ass
The entire game and hardly cheer. I recall several times looking over on 3rd down and people sitting
Down. If you want to sit on your ass and not cheer, sit at home in your recliner.

I was there in the late 90's, and we never sat down during the game unless it was halftime. Now, my wife just laughs at me for itching to stand up during the game.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 10:10 AM
I was there in the late 90's, and we never sat down during the game unless it was halftime. Now, my wife just laughs at me for itching to stand up during the game.

I'm a student now, and don't see anyone sitting other than halftime. Think he meant the students get mad at the non students for sitting too much, just as the non students get mad at students for leaving

archdog
07-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Big proponent of block and Greek seating for that reason. Fraternities get blocks based on size, campus groups get them, and the rest are first come first served. That'll tell you who stays

ETA: will also just naturally lead people to stay because they won't have to go into the stadium two and a half hours early to save seats. It's easier to stay in the heat for three hours than five.

I always sat in the middle of those asshats trying to save seats because saving seats for 65 people is bullshit when the student section is first come first serve.
I will agree that block seats should be given to the craziest fanatics we have right along the sideline and endzone.
On a related note, old people suck when trying to get the stadium hoppin.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 10:18 AM
I always sat in the middle of those asshats trying to save seats because saving seats for 65 people is bullshit when the student section is first come first serve.
I will agree that block seats should be given to the craziest fanatics we have right along the sideline and endzone.
On a related note, old people suck when trying to get the stadium hoppin.

Think that's exactly why we should do blocks. People like you think it's bullshit and people in a fraternity or large group think it's perfectly reasonable to want to sit with your whole group. So block seating will solve both group seating issues AND knowing who's leaving early

DawgHouseUnited
07-22-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm a student now, and don't see anyone sitting other than halftime. Think he meant the students get mad at the non students for sitting too much, just as the non students get mad at students for leaving

Yeah- maybe I wasn't clear enough. Even though I'm all grown up and not sitting in the student section, I still want to stand up all the time- that's what I got used to. Not knocking on the student section or anything; just saying that I'd choose to be standing all the time because that's what we did when I was a student.

TheRef
07-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Think that's exactly why we should do blocks. People like you think it's bullshit and people in a fraternity or large group think it's perfectly reasonable to want to sit with your whole group. So block seating will solve both group seating issues AND knowing who's leaving early

Okay. Let me play Devil's advocate here for a second.

If you want to do block seating, how do you determine who sits where for the first of the season? You're going to have the problem that the independent students are going to think that the Greeks are getting preferential treatment. Now before you come back with "Well they should get more involved on campus" argument, some of them are actually involved in student organizations but they are very, very small. So are you going to put a small organization in front of a fraternity and say "I don't care what they do during the game, this is where you HAVE to sit until we tell you that you can leave." Also, Alabama's blocks are quite large because of their larger student enrollment. In turn, fraternities and sororities are MUCH larger than the ones here at MSU. They take up a larger section and you can easily separate them because of that.

Once again, I'm playing Devil's advocate in this.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 10:30 AM
I think you decide who gets the best blocks based on first come first served to buy tickets. Whoever buys up a block first gets first choice and so on. Then, at the games, you keep track of who shows up and leaves and reward/punish blocks based on that.

And if the small group in front of fraternity argument is to say that you have to sit here no matter how bad the fraternity behaves or something (although I'm not sure I get what you meant by that ha), I don't really see that as a problem. Just don't see a problem that would arise between a larger group like a fraternity and a smaller one like a club or campus group.

Other schools do it, and larger or not, it generally works. Yes, Alabama has more students, but they also have more seats. So I think you can scale their system to fit our numbers

TheRef
07-22-2014, 10:33 AM
I think you decide who gets the best blocks based on first come first served to buy tickets. Whoever buys up a block first gets first choice and so on. Then, at the games, you keep track of who shows up and leaves and reward/punish blocks based on that.

And if the small group in front of fraternity argument is to say that you have to sit here no matter how bad the fraternity behaves or something (although I'm not sure I get what you meant by that ha), I don't really see that as a problem. Just don't see a problem that would arise between a larger group like a fraternity and a smaller one like a club or campus group.

Other schools do it, and larger or not, it generally works. Yes, Alabama has more students, but they also have more seats. So I think you can scale their system to fit our numbers

Fair enough. I was just trying to make the Devil's advocate post of the thread.

Also to my comment to the Fraternity vs. smaller group thing. On average, I repeat ON AVERAGE, a Fraternity guy is more likely to throw alcohol in the air (which I still don't understand) and have it fall upon other people. That's what I was getting at because most people don't like to walk out of the stadium covered in alcohol.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I see now what you mean, and while I agree that's probably true, I don't see how you can call it an average. Unless there is statistics to back that up, which frankly wouldn't surprise me. Will james probably has that stat somewhere.

But as far as that problem goes, I think an easy solution could be just split the bowl. Greeks on one side, non Greeks on the other

HereComesTheSpiral
07-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I see now what you mean, and while I agree that's probably true, I don't see how you can call it an average. Unless there is statistics to back that up, which frankly wouldn't surprise me. Will james probably has that stat somewhere.

But as far as that problem goes, I think an easy solution could be just split the bowl. Greeks on one side, non Greeks on the other
That already happened in the old student section. Greeks in the lower level, everyone else up top and in the endzone.

PassInterference
07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
For the next 2 seasons, call it North Dakota.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 10:48 AM
But not because of designated seating or without problems. Like someone said before, he would intentionally go sit where Greeks were trying to save seats, and I think block seating would squash any kind of those problems

Lloyd Christmas
07-22-2014, 10:48 AM
That already happened in the old student section. Greeks in the lower level, everyone else up top and in the endzone.

That just happened to be where they sat. There were no official block sections.

starkvegasdawg
07-22-2014, 10:54 AM
"Stay til the End-Zone". Difficult to name something that the students can't keep full the entire game and/or act like they really care about the games.

The optimist / pessimist zone. Is the student section half full or half empty?

Pinto
07-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Have a lottery the first year. Have all groups submit their requests for seats and then pull names for seat selection. If the meteorology club gets pulled first they get to choose where they sit or just give them rows 1-3 in section xyz. The next year the meteorology club know their block is going to more than likely be at the top unless the perpetual motion squad doesn't stay all game. Additionally, the group will be given the block tickets not individual students so if KA and DG or SAE want to swap out people/tickets they can.

TheRef
07-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Have a lottery the first year. Have all groups submit their requests for seats and then pull names for seat selection. If the meteorology club gets pulled first they get to choose where they sit or just give them rows 1-3 in section xyz. The next year the meteorology club know their block is going to more than likely be at the top unless the perpetual motion squad doesn't stay all game. Additionally, the group will be given the block tickets not individual students so if KA and DG or SAE want to swap out people/tickets they can.

Sounds good. Send that to the athletic dept.

PassInterference
07-22-2014, 11:12 AM
We're all dawgs. I say either general admission or ticketed seats.

You want a block of tickets? Order them together like everybody else in the stadium does. Maybe put some practical limitations on that...just like everybody else has. Like maybe you can't order more than 10 at a time. Its not like a guy in a group of 100 people can interact with all 100 people anyway..just the folks immediately around him. I don't see the point of 100 guys needing to sit together.

We should all be in the stadium as Dawgs. The game isn't a party for individual groups.

Smitty
07-22-2014, 11:47 AM
I like block seating because it doesn't require getting in 2 hours early which I think will cut down on the leaving early. That aspect greatly reduces the atmosphere and is embarrassing. It also allows us to know exactly who is leaving early.

I wouldn't make 100% of the SS block seats either AND would charge those wanting to block a premium for the privilege. Obviously this means the better seat would be the blocks which I am a-ok with because of the premium that has been charged. Police your own or lose your block. It's that simple. Nobody would leave the block and if GA section left then its not an eyesore like the center of the SS leaving is.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 11:50 AM
I like block seating because it doesn't require getting in 2 hours early which I think will cut down on the leaving early. That aspect greatly reduces the atmosphere and is embarrassing. It also allows us to know exactly who is leaving early.

I wouldn't make 100% of the SS block seats either AND would charge those wanting to block a premium for the privilege. Obviously this means the better seat would be the blocks which I am a-ok with because of the premium that has been charged. Police your own or lose your block. It's that simple. Nobody would leave the block and if GA section left then its not an eyesore like the center of the SS leaving is.

+10000. It's more to solve problems than to just keep friends together

Dawgbite
07-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Perpetual Motion Squad, That's funny. I got it if nobody else did. Simple solution to keeping students there, they need a designated students only lounge area like the ground level endzone club and lockers like club level to keep their bare essentials in. If they are happy, they will stay.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Even easier solution. Sell us booze

TheRef
07-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Even easier solution. Sell us booze

In the South? Nevah gonna happen. Southern Baptists will literally have a heart-attack if that happens.

And yes...I'm a Southern Baptist.

mstatefan91
07-22-2014, 12:19 PM

This attitude towards the students is annoying as hell. Just as many regular season ticket holders are leaving and nobody wants to say anything to them. It goes both ways but most just want to pick an easy target like the students.

mstatefan91
07-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Just open the student gates 1 hour to 1 and a half hours early, and it will be much more bearable pre-game

Political Hack
07-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Bone Yard was my suggestion. It's the best suggestion, but they probably won't use it since I said it first.

Dirtbagdawg
07-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Yes that's what I meant.

Dirtbagdawg
07-22-2014, 01:11 PM
We're all dawgs. I say either general admission or ticketed seats.

You want a block of tickets? Order them together like everybody else in the stadium does. Maybe put some practical limitations on that...just like everybody else has. Like maybe you can't order more than 10 at a time. Its not like a guy in a group of 100 people can interact with all 100 people anyway..just the folks immediately around him. I don't see the point of 100 guys needing to sit together.

We should all be in the stadium as Dawgs. The game isn't a party for individual groups.

See I think you're wrong. We have to change our way of thinking. The game
SHOULD be like a party. People need to act crazy, stupid, whatever you want to call
It, for us to have the energy we all want. Opposing teams need to be terrified to come into
Our stadium. I think cowbells hurt us at times. Yes, they're loud,
But people sometimes forget to yell. We need to lose that mentality of coming to games to
Just watch. NO, you shouldn't come to
Just watch. Fans play a MAJOR role in creating home field advantage. I realize non students have family and bring kids
To the games and what not, but for the love of God have a few drinks before you come in. Yell, clap, stomp your feet. The students get tired of yelling all game and looking over at old people looking at them like idiots to
Sit down.

Dirtbagdawg
07-22-2014, 01:16 PM
And before some old man comes on here and says "son, I donate money,
I can do as I please". That's great and I appreciate your support, but students pay tuition which is probably more than what
You donate. Instead of students and regular fans bitching at each other, let's come together and make
Our atmosphere the best in the SEC. After all, we are on the same side here.

RougeDawg
07-22-2014, 01:19 PM
This attitude towards the students is annoying as hell. Just as many regular season ticket holders are leaving and nobody wants to say anything to them. It goes both ways but most just want to pick an easy target like the students.

No. I stand and yell. The first year in my section I was one of only a dozen or so around me that would stand and yell. After 4 years of continuing the same, now the majority of the section stands the entire game. We all have to do our part to enhance the game atmosphere. The students have to do their part and stay the entire game no matter what. The tailgate isn't going to disappear like Cinderella's carriage if you don't go back out before the 4th quarter. The current students take wining for granted and are spoiled. If any of you had to sit through just one shitty Croom game, the current student section would be slammed full even 10-15 minutes after the final whistle. Current students have no perspective on what it was like to watch most MSU home games from 2001-2008. It was miserable.

TheRef
07-22-2014, 01:31 PM
No. I stand and yell. The first year in my section I was one of only a dozen or so around me that would stand and yell. After 4 years of continuing the same, now the majority of the section stands the entire game. We all have to do our part to enhance the game atmosphere. The students have to do their part and stay the entire game no matter what. The tailgate isn't going to disappear like Cinderella's carriage if you don't go back out before the 4th quarter. The current students take wining for granted and are spoiled. If any of you had to sit through just one shitty Croom game, the current student section would be slammed full even 10-15 minutes after the final whistle. Current students have no perspective on what it was like to watch most MSU home games from 2001-2008. It was miserable.

I watched many a game during the Crxxm years and I know pain. I watched the 3-2 game. I watched us get trounced by Maine. I know the pain of where MSU used to be. I'm not spoiled at all so you can take that thought that all of the current students have no perspective and throw it out of the argument altogether.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 01:32 PM

And it's somehow a bad thing that some of our students haven't experienced what you call "miserable" msu football?

DawgHouseUnited
07-22-2014, 01:48 PM
See I think you're wrong. We have to change our way of thinking. The game
SHOULD be like a party. People need to act crazy, stupid, whatever you want to call
It, for us to have the energy we all want. Opposing teams need to be terrified to come into
Our stadium. I think cowbells hurt us at times. Yes, they're loud,
But people sometimes forget to yell. We need to lose that mentality of coming to games to
Just watch. NO, you shouldn't come to
Just watch. Fans play a MAJOR role in creating home field advantage. I realize non students have family and bring kids
To the games and what not, but for the love of God have a few drinks before you come in. Yell, clap, stomp your feet. The students get tired of yelling all game and looking over at old people looking at them like idiots to
Sit down.

See, that stuff is actually what I look for at the game. I want the excitement and the standing up during the game.

Dirtbagdawg
07-22-2014, 02:00 PM
I just don't see why it's hard to stand up for a few hours during a game. I actually CANT sit
Down during a game. Just doesn't feel right. I understand older folks
Can't stand for 3 hours, but the sitting down the entire game, getting mad
At people for standing up, is 17 ridiculous. Go home and watch
The game on tv.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 02:03 PM
, getting mad
The game on tv.

Bang. I got yelled at with three of my Buddies to sit down at the liberty bowl on a third down. I mean seriously. A bowl game. For standing. We weren't cussing, hell I don't even think we were yelling, and people are hollering at us to sit down. Those are the worst fans

hailmari
07-22-2014, 02:25 PM
I usually prefer to stand to (I can cuss better from that position), but if the people behind me are sitting, I'll show courtesy. Or give them a warning pregame that I may pop up at key moments. Simple enough.

mstatefan91
07-22-2014, 02:28 PM

Your argument is completely lacking. Most of those students grew up MSU fans and as such, attended games during the Croom years. I personally went to many including (like Ref) the 3-2 game.

Also, you don't address the fact that just as many regular season ticket holders leave. Alumni are trying to find someone to blame without looking in the mirror.

Political Hack
07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
don't be a sitty fan.

TheRef
07-22-2014, 02:29 PM
don't be a sitty fan.

Catchphrase of the year.

RAYn_Man
07-22-2014, 03:55 PM
I think a "name" for our student section would be embarrassing. See "Rick's Rowdies".

cujo
07-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Call it, "Student Section."

mstatefan91
07-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Mullen's Woollies ***

TheRef
07-22-2014, 04:19 PM
I think a "name" for our student section would be embarrassing. See "Rick's Rowdies".

Hey now...I take offense to that remark.

LC Dawg
07-22-2014, 04:39 PM
I just don't see why it's hard to stand up for a few hours during a game. I actually CANT sit
Down during a game. Just doesn't feel right. I understand older folks
Can't stand for 3 hours, but the sitting down the entire game, getting mad
The game on tv.

I agree. I'm a little older so I don't feel like standing the whole game but if we are on defense, especially in a close game, everyone in the stadium should be on their feet and making noise. Nothing pisses me off more than for us to score and take a lead and have everyone celebrate and then we kick off and everyone sits down. If someone in front of me is standing while I choose to sit it doesn't bother me. I try to respect those around me who don't want to stand but there are some points during a game that you just have to stand. I've had some people get pissed in our section but I've told them that I will stand some during the game. Also, last year I told an LSU fan to sit down and shut up and a woman behind me said I shouldn't be rude to him because he is a guest in our stadium.

Political Hack
07-22-2014, 05:15 PM
they we're probably going to paint it on the wall in front of the student section where it would be seen on TV a lot. It's a good branding opportunity if it fits.

BulldogBear
07-22-2014, 05:18 PM
they we're probably going to paint it on the wall in front of the student section where it would be seen on TV a lot. It's a good branding opportunity if it fits.

....I agree but I hope they wait and let it fit. Let it happen. You often get goofy crap when you force things like this.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Will it come with its own farm bureau sign?

TheRef
07-22-2014, 05:25 PM

The Mississippi Farm Bureau Cow Pen. I can see it now.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 05:25 PM

This is awkward. It's actually called "The Bureau"

HereComesTheSpiral
07-22-2014, 05:27 PM
This is awkward. It's actually called "The Bureau"

Thats what they're going to call it?

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Thats what they're going to call it?

Sorry.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Sorry.

I was thinking sarcasm, but I dont put anything past this department to make a quick buck

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 05:36 PM
I was thinking sarcasm, but I dont put anything past this department to make a quick buck

Haha I don't blame you at all.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Or why dont they do it like they used to do basketball where you go to the ticket office before each game and whatever doesnt sell, release them to the public as general admission

mstatefan91
07-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Or why dont they do it like they used to do basketball where you go to the ticket office before each game and whatever doesnt sell, release them to the public as general admission

They've sold out every year that I've been here so I don't know how this would be a solution?

TheRef
07-22-2014, 08:28 PM
They've sold out every year that I've been here so I don't know how this would be a solution?

Also everything is being done electronically now. They won't know if attendance will be down for the Student section until after the game starts. Even then, people file in for about 5 minutes.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-22-2014, 09:21 PM

Sell outs and packed out are different things. The Kentucky game last year was a sell out, and i would say 60% full. If they were to sell on a game to game basis, you could have an accurate count of attendance for the student section and what doesnt sell at the ticket office can be made into GA tickets. This would be targeted at the recent grads that still have friends in school, girlfriends.

TheRef
07-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Sell outs and packed out are different things. The Kentucky game last year was a sell out, and i would say 60% full. If they were to sell on a game to game basis, you could have an accurate count of attendance for the student section and what doesnt sell at the ticket office can be made into GA tickets. This would be targeted at the recent grads that still have friends in school, girlfriends.

What they're doing this year are having the ability for you to buy a limited amount of guest tickets for the game. You will buy the guest tickets at the ticket office the Monday prior to the game. So the Monday of gameweek, you will be able to buy a guest ticket. They will come in with your ID and they will have a physical ticket.

ETA: This is students, btw.

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 09:27 PM

Bad example considering the Kentucky game was fall break for students.

And if you're selling student section tickets as GA, that presents a whole other problem. What 55 year old with two kids will sit in a student section? Grad students/recent grads can already buy special tix and the ones that don't won't make up any significant difference

TheRef
07-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Bad example considering the Kentucky game was fall break for students.

And if you're selling student section tickets as GA, that presents a whole other problem. What 55 year old with two kids will sit in a student section? Grad students/recent grads can already buy special tix and the ones that don't won't make up any significant difference

People already do it and I just look at them like they're crazy. Young kids under the age of 10 sitting in the student section and I just shake my head and think to myself "You do realize that you're exposing your kid to a section full of drunks, right?"

ETA: Same thing happened to me in basketball. Was standing up and cheering and got yelled at by a father with two young kids saying "Can you sit down so that my sons and I can watch the game?" I just looked at him like he was crazy and kept standing. If you want to be able to sit and watch, don't sit in the student section. (I do realize that he probably couldn't tell it was the student section during the season and I'm saying that before any of you say "Well if attendance wasn't so crappy he would've known it was the student section)

JDog13
07-22-2014, 10:25 PM

That's a great name. The other one I liked was "This is our Section." I know it's a horrible name, but it made me chuckle.

mstatefan91
07-22-2014, 11:02 PM

This just won't work. I don't know why you think it will...

You would be trying to sell 11,000 (may have increased now?) tickets each week. The blitz on an 11 am game would be insane.

Barking 13
07-22-2014, 11:43 PM
North Dakota made me snicker...

RougeDawg
07-23-2014, 12:07 AM
And it's somehow a bad thing that some of our students haven't experienced what you call "miserable" msu football?

Are you insinuating that those born with a silver spoon know what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck?

For reference: this is the same analogy.

TheRef
07-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Are you insinuating that those born with a silver spoon know what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck?

No no. Not the same analogy. One is for your well-being. The other...well I could see how this is similar.....carry on.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-23-2014, 07:15 AM
This just won't work. I don't know why you think it will...

You would be trying to sell 11,000 (may have increased now?) tickets each week. The blitz on an 11 am game would be insane.

Well how about loading the tickets onto your ids similar to a meal plan. Now you can track who is buying the tickets and how many they are using.

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 09:07 AM

It isn't the same but I know what you're getting at. But no I'm not. My point is, how on earth is it a good thing for a football fan to suffer from years and years of bad teams. I would much rather our fans never see a losing season bc that means we had a great program.

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Well how about loading the tickets onto your ids similar to a meal plan. Now you can track who is buying the tickets and how many they are using.

By my understanding they will be done thru student ids, so maybe now they'll track who buys/comes/leaves

mstatefan91
07-23-2014, 09:11 AM

That could work to see who is going to which games but your gonna have a hard time justifying not allowing that student to purchase tickets the next season even if they only went to half of the games.

If you are talking about using this system to keep track of how many general admission tickets you could sell based on how many student id's have been scanned going in for a particular game, that could potentially work assuming MSU has the technology to keep up with the numbers real time. Also, when would the cutoff time be?

HereComesTheSpiral
07-23-2014, 09:52 AM
That could work to see who is going to which games but your gonna have a hard time justifying not allowing that student to purchase tickets the next season even if they only went to half of the games.

If you are talking about using this system to keep track of how many general admission tickets you could sell based on how many student id's have been scanned going in for a particular game, that could potentially work assuming MSU has the technology to keep up with the numbers real time. Also, when would the cutoff time be?
If you do single games , you could set up sales areas in the union and at the ticket office by the sanderson. Tickets could go on sale on Monday of the week of the game and run through Thursday, and then the tickets will go into an open to the public pool. Option 2, keep the season tickets as is but digitally track on the id's and scan/swipe at the gates. This will put names next to games attended. All of this is throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks. In all likelihood, they will go through several year to year experiments to see what works the best if they are truly trying to solve the leaving early problem. My real solution, just sell alcohol at the games.

Smitty
07-23-2014, 10:19 AM

That doesn't address the issue with students leaving, which is why the blocks are needed.

Any mass leave before halftime is forbidden.
Unless we are up or down at least 24 DURING the 3rd qtr you have to stay or be punished
Any point in the 4th we are up or down 21 you may leave unpunished
With 7:30 seconds left in the 4th any leaving will not be punished (who will leave en masse at this time of a close game?)

I can't fathom leaving unless its just a slaughter against us but damn if the students don't get it we will make them get it. Police your block or lose it.

TheRef
07-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Look. Here is what is happening this season as far as students are concerned. All tickets will be bought ONLINE and will be put on the student's ID. Online buying will be done by classification. So Seniors/Grad first, then Juniors, etc. At the beginning of each week (Monday), students will be able to buy a guest ticket of a certain amount (I believe that will be determined by the amount of student tickets that are sold). These will be on a first-come, first-serve basis and it will cost face value. Each student is only allowed to buy ONE guest ticket and they will come in on their ID.

Now the problem that y'all will experience if you want students to "clock out" of football games is that you're going to have to have a man at every gate throughout the game. EOG (who is in charge of security and taking up tickets) dramatically drops the number of people at the gates after a certain point in the game. I seriously doubt that they will want to have all of those people manning the gates at all times, or else they will be standing there doing nothing for the majority of the time.

Let's be honest here, guys. Kentucky wasn't a good example of the student section being bad because the University was on Fall Break. Most students went home during that time. Sometimes, you're going to have people that will ALWAYS leave early in games. Case in point, all of the people who leave to "beat the traffic".

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 10:55 AM
So only one guest ticket no matter what per student? That's kind of a bitch. What if I have two friends come up, I can't get them in?

TheRef
07-23-2014, 10:56 AM
So only one guest ticket no matter what per student? That's kind of a bitch. What if I have two friends come up, I can't get them in?

You get another friend to get a guest ticket.

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Say I have to go out of town and can't make a game. I can't sell my ticket can I? If I don't actually have a physical ticket

TheRef
07-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Say I have to go out of town and can't make a game. I can't sell my ticket can I? If I don't actually have a physical ticket

Nope. They're pretty much doing away with the ticket exchange because there were people who would buy season tickets and then immediately turn around to sell them all at ridiculous prices.

mstatefan91
07-23-2014, 12:08 PM
That doesn't address the issue with students leaving, which is why the blocks are needed.

Any mass leave before halftime is forbidden.
Unless we are up or down at least 24 DURING the 3rd qtr you have to stay or be punished
Any point in the 4th we are up or down 21 you may leave unpunished
With 7:30 seconds left in the 4th any leaving will not be punished (who will leave en masse at this time of a close game?)

I can't fathom leaving unless its just a slaughter against us but damn if the students don't get it we will make them get it. Police your block or lose it.

Again I ask. Who's going to be policing the regular season ticket holders? They leave en masse as well but again, nobody wants to bitch about them because they donate money.

mstatefan91
07-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Nope. They're pretty much doing away with the ticket exchange because there were people who would buy season tickets and then immediately turn around to sell them all at ridiculous prices.

So there's going to be no way to digitally transfer tickets?

TheRef
07-23-2014, 12:10 PM
So there's going to be no way to digitally transfer tickets?

Not that I'm hearing. But who knows, maybe the University/SA will establish an online ticket exchange.

mstatefan91
07-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Not that I'm hearing. But who knows, maybe the University/SA will establish an online ticket exchange.

If anything, this is going to make attendance worse.. (if there is no way to exchange tickets)

DudyDawg
07-23-2014, 12:20 PM
If anything, this is going to make attendance worse.. (if there is no way to exchange tickets)

Completely agree. Every single game my friends have at least one little brother/cousin/high school buddy etc with us the student section. Now it looks like we can't do that. Sure, we can buy one guest a piece, but we can buy more if we have two with us. That seems like a bad idea unless they make a way to sell student tix

Bubb Rubb
07-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Bone Yard was my suggestion. It's the best suggestion, but they probably won't use it since I said it first.

I'm still partial to The Endzone Up North.

1998Dawg
07-23-2014, 01:21 PM
The Rowdy Raw Dawgs

RAYn_Man
07-23-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm still partial to The Endzone Up North.

Ha I chuckled

archdog
07-23-2014, 01:39 PM
You get another friend to get a guest ticket.

fn genius.

archdog
07-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Again I ask. Who's going to be policing the regular season ticket holders? They leave en masse as well but again, nobody wants to bitch about them because they donate money.

Why is everyone worried about the students leaving. It happens everywhere. Win the game and stop putting ads on the jumbotron every time the play stops for more than 8 seconds and people will stay.
Our jumbotron should be used for live plays, replays, and pumping up the crowd only. Put the advertisements on the sidebars, no sound.
Advertise at the beginning of halftime prior to the band getting on the field and before 15 minutes before the opening kickoff only.

How about this, during pre game put up a current live game. When they go to commercial, we go to commercial.

Thread hacked.