PDA

View Full Version : 2014 rushing attack.......do we RS Aeris Williams?

Pokerdawg44
07-21-2014, 10:34 PM
For the experts..........

Im huge on JRob and think he will be the workhorse we expect and more. 5.9 ypc is damn good. Im not sold on Shump being the super star hes supposed to be but waaaay too early to tell. Im pulling for NGriff but hard to come back from what hes been through. I honestly think AWilliams will be the most talented out of this group and thats saying alot bc im a huge believer in JRob. But with all the competition, do we redshirt Aeris Williams? Since we didnt RS Shumpert last year with pretty much the same numbers at RB, Im guessing we dont RS Aeris, Anyone know for certain yet or have a better idea. Aeris is my favorite 2014 recruit and cant wait to see him in maroon and white,

Also, with our weapons at WR and a qb well capable of throwing the ball 30plus times a game, I wonder what our run/pass ratio will be. Personally, with a running qb like Dak, Id like to see 55%run and 45% pass. Im a big believer of setting up the pass off playaction but with Dak working so much on his foot work and throwing the ball down field, i wouldnt be surprised if it was 50/50.

Another thing id like to see is Mullen run the diamond formation. I would love to see a backfield with Dak, JRob, Shump, and A williams. even mix it up with Jameon.

I got a damn good feeling about our running game this year. Last year Dak was the only rushing attack we had and put too much pressure on Dak to make plays with his arm.. I wonder how conservative we will be on running Dak especially with a stable full of rbs that can run between the tackles.

Dallas_Dawg
07-21-2014, 10:38 PM
I think we use him as much as we did Shump last year to get him some carries. Unless he just starts taking them to the house regularly, I bet he gets maybe 40 carries all year.

messageboardsuperhero
07-21-2014, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't redshirt Williams this year. We pretty much always have good RBs, so keeping Williams for an extra year isn't critical. Plus we have several RBs committed in this upcoming class, so we need to keep the rotating backs through our system to make room for the new guys.

Williams should play Shump's role from last year.

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 10:40 PM
with all the guys we are recruiting at the RB position I don't see many RB's ever redshirting. Aeries has the potential to be one of the best we have ever had. I hate to say it but I don't think Shump will ever be a huge impact at RB. Not because he don't have the potential but bc of how good Aeries is.

smootness
07-21-2014, 10:40 PM
No. We will use him this year, RBs good enough to be drafted don't stay 4 years, and we continue to recruit well at RB. There's not much advantage in redshirting him; it just creates even more of a logjam there in the future.

msstate7
07-21-2014, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't redshirt him. I hope he brings some homerun ability

If shump isn't a factor at rb this year, I'd give him look at safety/lb next season. I think shump comes on this year though...

SDDawg
07-21-2014, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't redshirt him. I hope he brings some homerun ability

If shump isn't a factor at rb this year, I'd give him look at safety/lb next season. I think shump comes on this year though...

This is my thought as well. Where do y'all think Griffin ends up? Does he cure his issue with ball security and make an impact this year?

MSUDawg4Life
07-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Depends on how well Nick Griffin plays. If Nick plays well, then it's going to be hard for a fourth or fifth RB to get many touches. He may be better off redshirting.

Pokerdawg44
07-21-2014, 10:52 PM
with all the guys we are recruiting at the RB position I don't see many RB's ever redshirting. Aeries has the potential to be one of the best we have ever had. I hate to say it but I don't think Shump will ever be a huge impact at RB. Not because he don't have the potential but bc of how good Aeries is.

i agree. hes sandwhiched between JRob and Aeris, PLus with all the young talent we have committed for 2015 class. do we ever coonsider Linebacker for him or you think he would transfer before that. But on the other hand, i wouldnt be surprised if he ends up becoming a stud and getting drafted.

Bully041184
07-21-2014, 10:57 PM
I think it's too early to tell with shump or be certain he isn't going to make an impact. If the OL excels and allows the RB stable to be effective, then I see nick or slump given the opportunity to shine. I think if shump was given Jrobs starting opportunity he would really be productive...assume the OL isn't a complete joke.

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 10:59 PM
This is my thought as well. Where do y'all think Griffin ends up? Does he cure his issue with ball security and make an impact this year?

Nick will be a BEAST this year. He is an NFL caliber back.

MSUDawg4Life
07-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Nick will be a BEAST this year. He is an NFL caliber back.

I hope so. Would love to see him shine this year.

msstate7
07-21-2014, 11:09 PM
Shump IMO needs to avoid contact until it's necessary. I love his physicality, but it leads to a lot of short gains. I would rather he finish runs by hitting someone instead of starting runs by hitting people. (This probably only makes sense to me)

SDDawg
07-21-2014, 11:22 PM
msstate7- I know what you mean, Shump runs upright and finds contact quickly instead of eluding it. He's great on the goal line for that reason and his ability to extend, but I don't see him as a mainstream back until his running style changes.

shoeless joe
07-21-2014, 11:31 PM
I will prolly get hammered for this...and let me preface by saying I love Aeris and think he's a hell of a kid. He is the exception to the rule when it comes to elite athletes having outstanding character. Absolutely great kid. However; those of you thinking his running style is going to be any different than what shump did last year are kidding yourself. He is bigger so he may can do more with that style early on but I feel that those type backs could use a red shirt year, tho some of y'all have given good reasons not to red shirt. Shump actually possesses more quickness and better feet. I have also said I wouldn't be surprised of Aeris ended up at safety but who knows. I do think he will have success at state...could be at running back but I'm not expecting him to break out this year.

SDDawg
07-21-2014, 11:35 PM
shoeless- not going to hammer you at all, but just curious. Did you see a lot of West Point football over the past couple of years or are you basing this on film?

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 11:48 PM
shoeless- not going to hammer you at all, but just curious. Did you see a lot of West Point football over the past couple of years or are you basing this on film?

I was about to ask the exact same thing. I am not hammering you either Joe, you certainly have a right to your opinion but shump having better feet than Williams is just not the case. Williams's vision and balance are better than any back we have. He will be a star at State if he can stay healthy.

shoeless joe
07-21-2014, 11:49 PM
To say the least I've seen Aeris play a ton in person for the past 4 years. I've also seen him on the basketball court guarding shump. He is a stud of an athlete but I think acting like he's ahead of some guys we have already, or that he possesses unmatched ability, is unfair to him.

Will also add that his frame could put on a good bit more muscle, which will benefit him with his style of running. But could also make him a killer Safety with great ball skills. I was in school with culberson and saw him develop from his freshman year on and Aeris' build is very similar to him and we all saw how he exploded once he hit a D1 weight room.

Dawg61
07-21-2014, 11:54 PM
No RS let's see what he's got

shoeless joe
07-21-2014, 11:56 PM
I was about to ask the exact same thing. I am not hammering you either Joe, you certainly have a right to your opinion but shump having better feet than Williams is just not the case. Williams's vision and balance are better than any back we have. He will be a star at State if he can stay healthy.

The better feet comment comes from seeing them on the basketball court. I realize that the skills needed to be successful are different but there is zero doubt that shump was quicker, especially with his feet. If you saw them together on the court you would say shump was better as a pure athlete. Again , there's more to being a good running back than having basketball skills but it was quite evident who was ahead of the other.

This is not meant as a slight to Aeris, just wanting folks to be realistic with the young man because he is without a doubt the type of kid we want in our program.

War Machine Dawg
07-22-2014, 12:04 AM
I think Williams will RS. I think he's a bigger version of Shump in a whole lot of ways. Very physical RB who might like contact a little too much but doesn't appear to have breakaway speed. He's a battering ram.

As you pointed out, we're very deep at RB. J-Rob is in line to be the #1 back. That 6.0 YPC for his career will come down some simply due to the increased number of carries, but he's the best pure RB we have on the roster and his hands are underrated. Not as good as LP's, but good enough. And he's got outstanding speed - one of the fastest guys on the team, supposedly. Shump will be the short yardage battering ram. If he'd learn to run to daylight instead of looking for a LB to truck, he could be special. He's going to have a short shelf life if he doesn't change his style. Word is Nick Griffin looks much better. I saw him in the M&W Game. He looked better than last season, but he didn't look 100% either. That said, he'll be a year and a half removed from the injury now, so he should be at 100% of whatever he's going to be. He'll get some short yardage carries and probably see a little time as FB. He's also the best pass blocker amongst our RBs. Then you have to factor in 2-3 carries a game for Holloway as a scatback trying to hit the HR.

Considering the depth chart, I think Williams would have to work his way up the #3 to justify burning his RS. I think he could easily pass Holloway. The question is whether he'll be able to pass one of Shump or Griff. Plus, he'll likely be the worst pass blocking RB we have. Most freshmen RBs in MS haven't really been asked to pass block in HS, so it's a skill they never really developed. Wouldn't be at all surprised for that to be the case for A-Train.

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see us use him like Shump last season. Essentially feature him in the non-con games and give him an increased role in SEC games as the season progresses, should he earn that opportunity with his play. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. You can pretty much never have enough RB depth. But if it were up to me, I'd try to RS A-Train. Just my .02 cents.

Pokerdawg44
07-22-2014, 12:14 AM
I was a pretty good HS athlete. Played football and was 1st team all city metro in memphis playing 5a. Didnt recieve a d1 scholly and im a 5'10 white guy. Ive played pick up games with Deangelo Williams( former 1st rd pick for panthers and current starting rb in nfl) and ive taken him to school on the bball court and Im decent in bball but didnt even play hs ball. bball and football are 2 VERY different sports with 2 VERY different skill sets needed in each. Shump might be the overall better athlete but from what ive seen Aeris looks to be the better runningback.

im sure there were many players that were much better than Dicenzo Miller athletic wise but not many were better runningbacks. Running back has a particular skill set of vision balance speed power speed and decision making. Aeris seems special to me. we shall see. i think Shump could be special too. both are unbelievable talents that im glad to be wearing maroon and white.

shoeless joe
07-22-2014, 12:22 AM
I was a pretty good HS athlete. Played football and was 1st team all city metro in memphis playing 5a. Didnt recieve a d1 scholly and im a 5'10 white guy. Ive played pick up games with Deangelo Williams( former 1st rd pick for panthers and current starting rb in nfl) and ive taken him to school on the bball court and Im decent in bball but didnt even play hs ball. bball and football are 2 VERY different sports with 2 VERY different skill sets needed in each. Shump might be the overall better athlete but from what ive seen Aeris looks to be the better runningback.

im sure there were many players that were much better than Dicenzo Miller athletic wise but not many were better runningbacks. Running back has a particular skill set of vision balance speed power speed and decision making. Aeris seems special to me. we shall see. i think Shump could be special too. both are unbelievable talents that im glad to be wearing maroon and white.

I agree. You reiterated a lot of my points. I said shump had better feet, I've seen him be quicker and look more athletic. Doesn't mean he is or will be a better football player but it does mean he is quicker and has better feet.

I think your second paragraph is almost dead on but the two have very similar styles. I think Aeris' skill set are more apt to be successful with that style in the long run. I think shump running with that style is somewhat holding him back in the long run. Both are immensely talented. And I'm excited to see them develop over the coming seasons.

Todd4State
07-22-2014, 12:31 AM
I don't think Aeries will redshirt. I think he will contribute about as much as Shumpert did last year. Robinson/Shumpert will be our 1-2 punch and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have fans that will think that Shumpert should maybe should get more carries by this time next year. I honestly hope it's about a 50/50 split between the two this year. But more than likely we'll see Robinson get the lion's share of the carries, which is an improvement over last year so, I'm not going to complain too much. We'll work in Aeries some while he learns the offense and adjusts to college. Griffin will probably be used about like last year. I'm thinking Holloway will get 1-2 carries a game and mainly be used in the return game which is where he should be used.

Dawg61
07-22-2014, 12:44 AM
I haven't given up on Holloway like y'all have. Get him in space 5-10 yards from the L.O.S. and he'll break some for long distance. His speed is elite. I think he's tougher than y'all give him credit too. If he catches just 2 passes deep last year everyone would have a totally different view of him than right now.

hailmari
07-22-2014, 01:29 AM

I don't recall Griff ever having issues with ball security, it's been his knees that have the issues. Milton on the other hand..

Todd4State
07-22-2014, 01:37 AM
I haven't given up on Holloway like y'all have. Get him in space 5-10 yards from the L.O.S. and he'll break some for long distance. His speed is elite. I think he's tougher than y'all give him credit too. If he catches just 2 passes deep last year everyone would have a totally different view of him than right now.

I've only given up on him as a WR. Why we kept throwing the ball to him downfield last year and not on screens is beyond me.

At any rate, I wouldn't say I've given up on him as a player. He has value with the ball in his hands on sweeps and plays where he has to run to the outside, and I do think he can be a very good KR guy for us. But he's a role guy for us. We can't use him as an every down back, and running him inside a lot is going to limit us in the running game. The problem is, everyone else that knows football- meaning the other teams coaches- know what he is going to do if he gets the ball and they will adjust accordingly since they know he can't run inside.

Dawg61
07-22-2014, 01:49 AM
I've only given up on him as a WR. Why we kept throwing the ball to him downfield last year and not on screens is beyond me.

At any rate, I wouldn't say I've given up on him as a player. He has value with the ball in his hands on sweeps and plays where he has to run to the outside, and I do think he can be a very good KR guy for us. But he's a role guy for us. We can't use him as an every down back, and running him inside a lot is going to limit us in the running game. The problem is, everyone else that knows football- meaning the other teams coaches- know what he is going to do if he gets the ball and they will adjust accordingly since they know he can't run inside.

Yea they could key in on him if he was the main threat but they will have other higher priorities to defend on the field anytime he's in there. With Dak, JRob, Bear, Jameon, Shump, Brown, AW, RoJo, etc.. Holloway quickly becomes a player they can't key in on and that makes him very dangerous. He's not built to be an every down player and nobody is expecting that from him. I do like him getting 5-10 snaps a game though because with his speed he makes us a more versatile offense even if he doesn't touch it but 1-2 times a game. I still like him running a straight fly a couple times too because it takes a defender completely out of the play. It's a decoy basically. Would really be helpful if he could catch the ball though.

starkvegasdawg
07-22-2014, 05:30 AM

Did you ever score four touchdowns in a single game?

Coach34
07-22-2014, 06:30 AM
There is alot more to playing RB at Miss State than just running the ball. If that was it- JRob would have started last year. Aeris will have to learn alot and like Shump last year- will get about 30 carries and get his feet wet

IBLAMEOBAMA
07-22-2014, 06:48 AM
Experience is key to having a good head at the RB position. Every play that you get an experienced player into, will be huge down the road as far as experience. If they can tote it, play them.

Reason2succeed
07-22-2014, 07:16 AM
I just hope that Nick Griffin and JRob become our 1-2 punch and that Shump and Aeris are just a luxury. I think that both could play some fullback this year like Shump did in the bowl game. Each of these backs should have their opportunity to be the premier back. I just hope they are ready for every phase of the game when their time comes.

Covercorner2
07-22-2014, 08:18 AM
How big is Aeris? Is he really bigger than Shump? Shump is 6'2 218. I just don't think Aeris has looked THAT big when I have seen pictures of him. Granted that's all I've seen...

codeDawg
07-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Well, think about this. We need 2 guys that can play an entire game every game and at least one developmental guy. We've got a guy that didn't get a ton of touches, a guy that has battled injury, and a guy that got a handful of touches. History says one guy will go down and another won't perform. We need one more regardless of talent.

BTW, I love Dontavian Lee's tape in the power running game. I'm excited to see how it translates.

The Croom Diaries
07-22-2014, 08:37 AM
I don't think Aeries will RS, and I hope we run the ball more this year. I'd like to see at least a 60/40 ratio, maybe even more...but that may depend on how well Beckwith and Clayborn do on the line. We have so many offensive weapons, if the line can just be adequate (like I think they will) then we could be dynamic on that side of the ball and it really could be a special year.

mic
07-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Aries will not red shirt. Too many RB in the 2015 class and he is probably too good to RS anyway.
If he picks up and does well on the other things ( pass block ...Ect) he will get more touches..