PDA

View Full Version : Wes Rea

messageboardsuperhero
07-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Rea just hit another home run tonight. He's been crushing the ball since that HR derby.

If Rea can turn the corner for us this year, that would be a huge boost.

msstate7
07-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Really nice to hear.

Todd4State
07-21-2014, 07:58 PM
I think it was a combination of trying to do too much, missing Hunter Renfroe in front of him, and than having to deal with criticism.

You had fans telling him to go be a grad assistant for Heaven's sakes.

messageboardsuperhero
07-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Cody Brown also hit one tonight. He's had several this summer.

shoeless joe
07-21-2014, 08:04 PM
If we can have rea hitting well and hitting 6th-7th in the order then we are goin to have a very solid offensive season.

CadaverDawg
07-21-2014, 08:07 PM
I think it was a combination of trying to do too much, missing Hunter Renfroe in front of him, and than having to deal with criticism.

You had fans telling him to go be a grad assistant for Heaven's sakes.

Freaking Goat

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 08:09 PM
whats he up to now... .215?

http://i.imgur.com/5zKXz.gif

engie
07-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Brown and Rea are both tied for 2nd in HR in their league...

Ingram leads his league in RBI and is tied for 5th in HR....

Rooker tied for 2nd in HR...

engie
07-21-2014, 08:12 PM

Uhhh -- he just hit another 3 run bomb. Second on the day.

Now tied for the league lead in HR in under half the ABs -- and he hasn't struck out in a week.

CadaverDawg
07-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Brown and Rea are both tied for 2nd in HR in their league...

Ingram leads his league in RBI and is tied for 5th in HR....

Rooker tied for 2nd in HR...

Maybe we need to sticky this for those that keep saying "until Cohen quits recruiting only slap/singles hitters...."

msstate7
07-21-2014, 08:15 PM

Now tied for the league lead in HR in under half the ABs -- and he hasn't struck out in a week.

Hit a pause button on his swing right now until the season starts. Wish it was that easy

engie
07-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Maybe we need to sticky this for those that keep saying "until Cohen quits recruiting only slap/singles hitters...."

Yeah, I almost started a new thread as I was getting caught up on them today...

Side note -- Swinarski is beyond struggling this summer...

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 08:21 PM

.218 then?

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 08:23 PM

maybe it's not that they can't hit for power... maybe its all about who they are playing for... maybe they are being encouraged to be a power hitter by their summer coach while they are encouraged to just "slap it somewhere" by Cohen? I have no idea and not being facetious.. its a legitimate scenario

engie
07-21-2014, 08:25 PM
.218 then?

Is he going to get 10 ABs tonight? That's the only possible way his average will regress to .218. What is Josh Donaldson and David Ortiz' average?!?11

He's 7 for his last 20 since he seemingly started to find it. Before tonight.

engie
07-21-2014, 08:27 PM
maybe it's not that they can't hit for power... maybe its all about who they are playing for... maybe they are being encouraged to be a power hitter by their summer coach while they are encouraged to just "slap it somewhere" by Cohen? I have no idea and not being facetious.. its a legitimate scenario

Yeah -- that's got to be it. Hunter Renfroe was a helluva slap hitter while here. As was Connor Powers and countless others.

You are too friggin stupid for me to waste my energy explaining this to for the 25th time.

KB21
07-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Yeah -- that's got to be it. Hunter Renfroe was a helluva slap hitter while here. As was Connor Powers and countless others.

You are too friggin stupid for me to waste my energy explaining this to for the 25th time.

Or how about those slap hitters he had at Kentucky? Sean Coughlin, Ryan Strieby, Collin Cowgill, Sawyer Carroll.....

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Is he going to get 10 ABs tonight? That's the only possible way his average will regress to .218. What is Josh Donaldson and David Ortiz' average?!?11

He's 7 for his last 20 since he seemingly started to find it. Before tonight.

So before that he was 4 for 30? I didn't even realize it was that bad.

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 08:35 PM

Countless others?

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Or how about those slap hitters he had at Kentucky? Sean Coughlin, Ryan Strieby, Collin Cowgill, Sawyer Carroll.....

My 6 yr old would be power hitter in that park.

messageboardsuperhero
07-21-2014, 08:38 PM

Considering he was hitting about .100 a week ago, I'd say .215 is very encouraging. I'm much more concerned about what he's doing now, as he's supposedly been making some adjustments at the plate this summer. Who knows, Rea could be turning the corner.

And since when is batting average the end all, be all stat? The guy's leading his league in home runs with fewer ABs than anyone else on the list in what is a pretty solid summer league (it's no Cape Cod league, but it's not a bad one either)- I'd say that's good progress.

The Federalist Engineer
07-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Keep raking big fella

engie
07-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Countless others?

Ryan Duffy
Cody Freeman
Russ Sneed
Jet Butler
Ryan Collins
Nick Vickerson
Luke Adkins
Johnathan Ogden
Wes Thigpen
Jaron Shephard
Jared Parks
Trey Porter
Hunter Renfroe
Wes Rea
off the top of my head...

I could include COUNTLESS more that weren't "slap hitters" -- although that does the better part of our power guys.

What "natural power hitter" have we EVER turned into a slap hitter? I'd love to know...although you will fail to tell me...

I seen it dawg
07-21-2014, 09:14 PM
If hitters could go to the plate and do exactly what the coach tells them to do every time it would be nice wouldn't it.

engie
07-21-2014, 09:19 PM
If hitters could go to the plate and do exactly what the coach tells them to do every time it would be nice wouldn't it.

That would sux cause then we'd only hit singles and sac bunts**

.236 now after a 2-5 performance tonight that, again, saw ZERO K's.

He's tied for the league lead in HR. 5 in 55 ABs.
10th in RBIs in HALF the games of everyone in front of him.
10 Walks or HBP to 14 K's on the ENTIRE SUMMER.

In the last week(5 games):
8-21 with 6R, 1Dou, 3HR, 10RBI, 4BB, 1K

That's 1 K in last 25 plate appearances for those keeping count at home. 2 in his last 30.

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Ryan Duffy
Cody Freeman
Russ Sneed
Jet Butler
Ryan Collins
Nick Vickerson
Luke Adkins
Johnathan Ogden
Wes Thigpen
Jaron Shephard
Jared Parks
Trey Porter
Hunter Renfroe
Wes Rea
off the top of my head...

I could include COUNTLESS more that weren't "slap hitters" -- although that does the better part of our power guys.

What "natural power hitter" have we EVER turned into a slap hitter? I'd love to know...although you will fail to tell me...

Can't have it both ways... either Cohen is not recruiting power hitters or either something is happening once they get here that is causing them to not be effective in the power dept. Just take a look at our slugging pct. and Hr's this year for example. What was the problem? Either 1)No power hitters or 2) Something happened that caused them to not produce power.. So which is it? Again, you can't have it both ways.

smootness
07-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Can't have it both ways... either Cohen is not recruiting power hitters or either something is happening once they get here that is causing them to not be effective in the power dept. Just take a look at our slugging pct. and Hr's this year for example. What was the problem? Either 1)No power hitters or 2) Something happened that caused them to not produce power.. So which is it? Again, you can't have it both ways.

We weren't recruiting a lot of power because in recent college baseball, the best approach was through pitching, defense, and running. Recently, we've begun to recruit more power as Cohen anticipated the change in rules/equipment. Those guys haven't yet filled the roster out. This is not that difficult.

engie
07-21-2014, 09:33 PM

There's no way you are really this stupid. No way. You are a well-played troll. And you still didn't answer my question. Show me ONE player that entered as a power hitter that Cohen turned into a slap guy? Just one. Since he's "coaching them to do that" -- this should be easy as hell. Almost as easy as the laundry list of actual power hitters he's had here which I already listed for you.

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Starting to see why preach was nominated for both sunshine and whatever the negative nancy award.

How can you hate this. He started slow, and is raking AND ISNT STRIKING OUT NOW. Don't see a negative

engie
07-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Starting to see why preach was nominated for both sunshine and whatever the negative nancy award.

How can you hate this. He started slow, and is raking AND ISNT STRIKING OUT NOW. Don't see a negative

Preach hates it because it shows his previous position to be stupid.

It's a well-played troll, set up to get reactions -- both positive and negative. That's why he's polar opposite from one day to the next -- and goes outlandish both ways.

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 09:41 PM
There's no way you are really this stupid. No way. You are a well-played troll. And you still didn't answer my question. Show me ONE player that entered as a power hitter that Cohen turned into a slap guy? Just one. Since he's "coaching them to do that" -- this should be easy as hell. Almost as easy as the laundry list of actual power hitters he's had here which I already listed for you.

I didn't say "slap hitters" I said they didn't produce power. And about half your list failed in that area. If our "Power Hitters" are hitting 3-4 HR's a year we don't really have any power hitters do we?

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 09:43 PM

""Slap it somewhere""

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Preach hates it because it shows his previous position to be stupid.

It's a well-played troll, set up to get reactions -- both positive and negative. That's why he's polar opposite from one day to the next -- and goes outlandish both ways.

It's easy to see through if you look. He's JUST subtle enough to get by overall though..

You are an idiot. I am not being negative. My simple point is this... We either have not had much in the "power hitting" dept or they haven't been power guys here under cohen. Its that simple. I don't have the answer. I don't know that Cohen coaches to just poke it in play or if we have not really had power guys but what I do know is that we have not been a team with power guys under cohen... PERIOD. Looking at the HR and SLG numbers. They are not very good.

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 09:45 PM
""Slap it somewhere""

EXACTLY my point.. .Read the post. It is a question? That little crooked line with a dot under it lets us know that its a question.

engie
07-21-2014, 09:49 PM
I didn't say "slap hitters" I said they didn't produce power. And about half your list failed in that area. If our "Power Hitters" are hitting 3-4 HR's a year we don't really have any power hitters do we?

Just do everyone a favor and quit talking baseball. Lot more reading, lot less posting. Your ignorance of the topic is glaring -- and I'm alot less patient with it than others.

Power isn't only defined in home runs. Every guy I listed was a constant homerun/extra base threat. And, yes, you said Cohen was turning them into "slap hitters" right here.

None of the guys I listed were "hitting 3 or 4 homeruns".

How does this summer not prove, CONCLUSIVELY, that we do, INDEED, have power hitters? Ever heard of a transition year? Probably not huh? They should just walk out of highschool and hit 10-15/yr in the SEC according to your version of all this.

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
EXACTLY my point.. .Read the post. It is a question? That little crooked line with a dot under it lets us know that its a question.

You suggested, basically, that Cohen is turning power hitters into "slap it simewhere" hitters, which is far from the case.

engie
07-21-2014, 09:57 PM
You are an idiot. I am not being negative. My simple point is this... We either have not had much in the "power hitting" dept or they haven't been power guys here under cohen. Its that simple.
And it's stupid. "Haven't been power guys here under Cohen?" You just start watching our teams this year?

I don't have the answer. I don't know that Cohen coaches to just poke it in play or if we have not really had power guys but what I do know is that we have not been a team with power guys under cohen... PERIOD. Looking at the HR and SLG numbers. They are not very good.
DUMB.AS.HELL.

engie
07-21-2014, 10:00 PM

First -- your punctuation is incomprehensible.

You've also got one of those little crooked lines with a dot under it in this quote. Where there should be a period(.)

You made an implication -- that you have ARGUED now. It was not a question -- it was your belief of what is happening -- reinforced by your subsequent argument

State82
07-21-2014, 10:02 PM
That's 1 K in last 25 plate appearances for those keeping count at home. 2 in his last 30.

This is the most encouraging stat. I'm not concerned about the homers. If he can minimize the K's like this then everything else will come around. Keep it up Big Wes!

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Just do everyone a favor and quit talking baseball. Lot more reading, lot less posting. Your ignorance of the topic is glaring -- and I'm alot less patient with it than others.

Power isn't only defined in home runs. Every guy I listed was a constant homerun/extra base threat. And, yes, you said Cohen was turning them into "slap hitters" right here.

None of the guys I listed were "hitting 3 or 4 homeruns".

How does this summer not prove, CONCLUSIVELY, that we do, INDEED, have power hitters? Ever heard of a transition year? Probably not huh? They should just walk out of highschool and hit 10-15/yr in the SEC according to your version of all this.

are you sure? None? Not even one? I was thinking atleast half..

Trey Porter- MSU career= 5 HRs- Avg of 2.5 per year
Cody Freeman- MSU career= 13 HRs- Avg of 3.1 per year
Jet Butler- MSU career= 10 HRs- Avg of 2.3 per year
Ryan Collins- MSU career= 7 HRs- Avg of 1.7 per year
Wes Thigpen- MSU career= 5 HRs- Avg of 2.5 per year
Jaron Shepherd- MSU career= 5 HRs- Avg of 2.5 per year
Jarrod Parks- MSU Career= 3 HRs- Avg of 1.5 per year

This is why you do not deserve to even be responded to on the subject. This proves very vividly that you have no idea what you are talking about .

justwin
07-21-2014, 11:08 PM
America loves the "comeback". He could go from one of the most beloved to hated to beloved over his final 3 years @ MSU.

Todd4State
07-22-2014, 12:44 AM
Yeah- Preacher- we're telling guys to not hit the ball too hard. Seriously?

You do realize that we have the top power prospect in the country committed right now? We also have the top power hitter in Mississippi committed in Austin Riley. We currently have Gavin Collins and Reid Humprheys who are both going to be power guys for us this year in addition to Rea.

There's a big difference between those guys and Brett Pirtle, Seth Heck, CT Bradford, and Alex Detz.

Cohen has said that we are going to have speed and that we are going to build our team according to the ballpark- and people like you assume that means we're going to get a bunch of singles hitters. What you are missing is the guys that have speed and power like Rooker and Humphreys.

engie
07-22-2014, 08:38 AM
are you sure? None? Not even one? I was thinking atleast half..

Trey Porter- MSU career= 5 HRs- Avg of 2.5 per year
Cody Freeman- MSU career= 13 HRs- Avg of 3.1 per year
Jet Butler- MSU career= 10 HRs- Avg of 2.3 per year
Ryan Collins- MSU career= 7 HRs- Avg of 1.7 per year
Wes Thigpen- MSU career= 5 HRs- Avg of 2.5 per year
Jaron Shepherd- MSU career= 5 HRs- Avg of 2.5 per year
Jarrod Parks- MSU Career= 3 HRs- Avg of 1.5 per year

This is why you do not deserve to even be responded to on the subject. This proves very vividly that you have no idea what you are talking about .

For the last F'n time -- "Power" IS NOT simply measured in HRs.

Hunter Renfroe isn't a power hitter either!11!1 He only averaged 2 HR/Yr over his first 2 years here. We obviously turned him into a slap hitter!!1!1

Porter - EVERY HR under Cohen. And that was basically ONE YEAR. He SMOKED everything he hit. You are a friggin moron if you call him a "slap hitter". It's not Cohen's fault he didn't handle his contacts correctly and messed up his eyes for most of his sr year.
Freeman - 9 HR under Cohen 1 full season as starter
Butler - 7 HR and 25 2B in 2 yrs under Cohen 1.5 yrs as starter
Collins - 3 HR and 14 2B 1.25 yrs as starter
Thigpen - 5 HR yr 1.25 yrs as starter
Shepherd - 16 2B 5 HR in 1.5 yrs as a starter
Parks - 3 HR and 13 2B in one yr as a starter

It's convenient that you are changing the argument to about "power hitters" -- when you started the argument by being a moron about "slap hitters". But you are probably too dumb to realize the difference.

It's pointless to even bother explaining all this to you though. Your mind is made up -- and once someone is determined to be a moron, there's no talking them out of it.

SFloridaDawg
07-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Preacher,
I don't normally involve myself in these arguments, but I have to agree with the other side. Take a look at college baseball as a whole and you will see power numbers have dropped significantly over the past several years. Take a look at Omaha. I watched nearly every game of this year's CWS and all it seemed the announcers were talking about was the lack of home runs in the new ballpark. To me it's not only home runs, but how many balls actually were even hit into a gap for extra bases? I think a total of 2 home runs for the ENTIRE CWS. If you looked at doubles numbers, I am sure they were way down as well.

You complain about our lack of power, but look around. It's not just us. We'll see what the new baseball with lower seems brings about this year. I'm hoping for more big flies across the game. If that happens I guarantee you our numbers will be up as well!

preachermatt83
07-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Preacher,
I don't normally involve myself in these arguments, but I have to agree with the other side. Take a look at college baseball as a whole and you will see power numbers have dropped significantly over the past several years. Take a look at Omaha. I watched nearly every game of this year's CWS and all it seemed the announcers were talking about was the lack of home runs in the new ballpark. To me it's not only home runs, but how many balls actually were even hit into a gap for extra bases? I think a total of 2 home runs for the ENTIRE CWS. If you looked at doubles numbers, I am sure they were way down as well.

You complain about our lack of power, but look around. It's not just us. We'll see what the new baseball with lower seems brings about this year. I'm hoping for more big flies across the game. If that happens I guarantee you our numbers will be up as well!

I hope your right big dawg. I also want to say that you earned a lot of respect with this post and here is why... Most newbies around here want to make a big spectacle that they have joined with a whole thread letting everyone know who they are... you chose rather, to just slide in a post and it was informative (weather I agree or not) and it was bold in that you challenged an Old Head's thinking. Welcome aboard SFloridaDawg. Keep up the good posting.

messageboardsuperhero
07-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Preacher,

This guy gets it.

People who complain about our power numbers don't seem to realize that we are far from the only team with these problems. Hopefully the new ball and the young power we have on campus and committed will help us in the future.