PDA

View Full Version : Dan Uggla NOOOOOOOOOO

Dawg61
07-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Giants signed INF Dan Uggla.

Uggla was batting just .162/.241/.231 with 40 strikeouts in 145 plate appearances this season for the Braves and showed up late to the second-to-last game of the first half, resulting in a one-game suspension and then his release. The 34-year-old is a shell of his former self, but he could actually see a decent amount of playing time at second base in San Francisco.

msstate7
07-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Just who y'all needed. Dodgers beware***

Really though I hope uggla can get it going again. I like him

Dawg61
07-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Just who y'all needed. Dodgers beware***

Really though I hope uggla can get it going again. I like him

2b has been such a nightmare for the Giants this year. Scutaro has been out the entire year and has only played two games and looks like he should retire, Brandon Hicks hit .160, then they tried Ahdrianza and Panik and none of them can hit. Maybe the change of scenery and clubhouse can bring Uggla back from the dead. It's happened before in SF.

engie
07-21-2014, 01:05 PM
What's the terms on the deal?

I'm sure the Braves are eating the vast majority of it...

msstate7
07-21-2014, 01:05 PM
I already know how this will end. Substitute uggla for uribe this year in the playoffs. Dan will send us home. Sucks being a brave fan...

Dawg61
07-21-2014, 01:12 PM
What's the terms on the deal?

I'm sure the Braves are eating the vast majority of it...

He was released by the Braves and cleared waivers so it's got to be for the league minimum I'd assume. Uggla gets 18 million still from the Braves for the life of his contract and has now signed a league minimum contract with the Giants at a prorated amount. Pretty sweet deal for Uggla. He gets put in as most likely a starter on a 1st place team far away from his turned ugly situation and he ends up getting a raise in pay for the year.

Dawg61
07-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Update: The Braves are on the hook for the $19 million remaining on his contract. His minor league deal with the Giants comes with an August 1 opt-out.

FISHDAWG
07-21-2014, 01:27 PM
the guy farts and then it ends up smelling like roses ... there's no justice
he must be related to the most interesting man in the world

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Saw a tweet saying its a minor league deal. That right?

Dawg61
07-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Saw a tweet saying its a minor league deal. That right?

Yea he reports to triple AAA Fresno but he'll be in SF in a week. Giants are desperate at 2b. Scutaro still ain't right. He'll have to retire unfortunately I think.

shoeless joe
07-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Uggla can hit... I know that sounds stupid, esp as a braves fan but the guy can hit. For some reason he became hard headed about his approach. Word was he worked to correct it but didn't take it to the game. If he coulda been a .220 hitter with 30+ homers he woulda been valuable to the braves and will be an asset to giants. And him coming around and approaching those rob Deer numbers isn't really an outlandish prediction.

Just ask Reggie sanders what leaving Atlanta will do for your offense.

Thrill1
07-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Giants fan here too - was pissed about this at first, then read details and it's no skin off of Giants' back. Uggla has two weeks to prove himself at Fresno or it's adios with pennies spent. Personally, I think Panik is best option bc of his range and will hit enough if Scutaro can't play. Panik was hitting well over .300 when called up from Fresno. The key, though is getting Pagan healthy and none of this will matter.

Dawg61
07-21-2014, 05:30 PM
Giants fan here too - was pissed about this at first, then read details and it's no skin off of Giants' back. Uggla has two weeks to prove himself at Fresno or it's adios with pennies spent. Personally, I think Panik is best option bc of his range and will hit enough if Scutaro can't play. Panik was hitting well over .300 when called up from Fresno. The key, though is getting Pagan healthy and none of this will matter.

Panik and Duvall need to be on the roster and getting occasional starts but the Giants need to go out and get another leadoff CF, a dependable veteran 2b like Zobrist/Murphy/Utley, another RP or 2 and another SP. Lot's of needs to be met if the Giants are seriously trying for another WS this year. Pagan can't be trusted at this point and Cain is showing lots of signs of having elbow/arm problems including just being put on the DL for it. Giants are wounded right now just trying to keep their heads above water. I do like Pence in the leadoff spot but Pagan and then Pence was more effective 1-2. Giants have issues and already too high a payroll really with 60 million per season tied into 4 SP.

Thrill1
07-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Panik and Duvall need to be on the roster and getting occasional starts but the Giants need to go out and get another leadoff CF, a dependable veteran 2b like Zobrist/Murphy/Utley, another RP or 2 and another SP. Lot's of needs to be met if the Giants are seriously trying for another WS this year. Pagan can't be trusted at this point and Cain is showing lots of signs of having elbow/arm problems including just being put on the DL for it. Giants are wounded right now just trying to keep their heads above water. I do like Pence in the leadoff spot but Pagan and then Pence was more effective 1-2. Giants have issues and already too high a payroll really with 60 million per season tied into 4 SP.

One thing is for sure, Sabean will do something. Just not sure the SF farm system has enough prospects to pull off all the needs you listed.