PDA

View Full Version : MHSAA State Title Games

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Will now be held at the stadium of the non-host of the Egg Bowl, from the looks of things. Think thats a great idea, both for MSU and OM, as well as for these students, the majority of which will never play in an SEC stadium.

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Check Scott's twitter for more info

chef dixon
07-21-2014, 03:04 PM
And Jackson continues to get shittier. Not a big fan of this move.

mic
07-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Great move
They are already doing this in Alabama.. With bama and Aub

Drugdog
07-21-2014, 03:25 PM

Jackson was shitty before this move. I know I May actually go see a few games knowing that I will not get Robbed, stabbed, car stolen, knifed, raped, or kidnapped.

dickiedawg
07-21-2014, 04:28 PM
I look forward to it. Haven't seen an official release yet but the last I saw said that Southern was expected to host some too (less frequently) as well as host the MS-AL game some also.

ETA: Just read that the deal is 2014-2017, and USM hosts the MS-AL game in 15 and 17.

TheRef
07-21-2014, 04:32 PM
I look forward to it. Haven't seen an official release yet but the last I saw said that Southern was expected to host some too (less frequently) as well as host the MS-AL game some also.

Nope. USM is only hosting the MS-AL game and it's on alternate years with the original location in Alabama.

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 04:37 PM

I don't think losing this damages the Jackson economy, if that's what you meant

ShotgunDawg
07-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Nope. USM is only hosting the MS-AL game and it's on alternate years with the original location in Alabama.

Just FYI, it's good that USM I hosting the MS/AL all star game. If MSU and OM got involved in that, Bama and Auburn would as well.

dickiedawg
07-21-2014, 04:43 PM
I don't think losing this damages the Jackson economy, if that's what you meant

According to this article from the CL last week, it will cost the city @2.7MM.
No idea how they formulated that but it seems awfully high.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/07/13/costly-loss-jackson-lose-millions-mhsaa-football-championships-leave-city/12613233/

ETA: It also said that 2.7MM figure was from 2013, which was the lowest attended set of games in a while due to weather. It also said USM was expected to get the 2018 state championships, but that was not official and could have changed.

chef dixon
07-21-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't really care what the economics look like. Its the capitol of the state, its supposed to host events like this. I realize the leadership kinda sucks and there's not much effort as far as progress goes, but moves like this are still disappointing for a lifetime resident of the state.

TheRef
07-21-2014, 05:50 PM
I don't really care what the economics look like. Its the capitol of the state, its supposed to host events like this. I realize the leadership kinda sucks and there's not much effort as far as progress goes, but moves like this are still disappointing for a lifetime resident of the state.

As a lifetime resident of the State I see both sides of this argument. One one hand, you want to keep it in the State Championships in the State Capitol. On the other hand, you want them to play in the best facilities that your state has to offer. I can see both sides, and I don't mind it personally. Don't be surprised to see the State Championship games of baseball to potentially be played in Biloxi when the new stadium opens.

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Don't mind it at all. It's a showcase for the state when you put it on tv, you should put it in the best facilities in the state.

Bo Darville
07-21-2014, 06:41 PM

That's a big hit. They will have to find money elsewhere to steal, waste, squander, misappropriate, .........

BulldogBear
07-21-2014, 07:40 PM
I go almost every year because I live in the metro area and it's neat but I won't be driving to Oxford or Starkville to watch MHSAA championships unless I really have a compelling reason to which will be almost never. You might be surprised at how many of the attendees of these games are local people who like HS football. So, don't be surprised at the big drop off in attendence for these games. It will be fans of those schools and practically NO ONE else after the novelty of the first year or two. It's simple demographics. It is also very much NOT centrally located. This is dumb dumb dumb from an attendence point of view. Go ahead and flame me if you want to but I'll just agree to disagree. Casual fans of high school ball still will not be going to these games outside of the local population. When local population is higher, so is attendence. This is not college or pro football.

TheRef
07-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Here is my article with a few of my thoughts about the MHSAA moving the state championships to Starkville and Oxford for the next four years.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/07/21/davis-wade-stadium-host-2014-2016-mhsaa-football-state-championships/

Todd4State
07-21-2014, 07:45 PM
What I would like to see them do is rotate between the three D-I schools and Jackson.

So, MSU, Ole Miss, USM, and Jackson State on a rotational basis and then play the MS/AL All-Star Game in Jackson every other year.

That to me seems to be the "most fair" thing to do.

Personally, I've always preferred it be in Jackson because it's centrally located. I can't see how the South schools aren't pitching a fit because for the foreseeable future, the state championship will always be in the North. Like South Panola needs another advantage- like playing the Championship Game in Oxford.

I think the big issue is the press box at the Vet is behind the times to say the least, plus I'm pretty sure State and Ole Miss cut them a better deal. We've seen how JSU does business- "Equipment was the wrong color" and them complaining about how much we paid them to play football in 2009 until Byrne came out and called them out on it.

And yeah- you do have some fans from other parts of the state that are "scared" to go to Fondren. The funny thing is the UMC parking lot is probably one of the safest places to go and has security 24/7 that is visible and I think most of the people that were using that excuse were hoping that the State Championships would get moved to Hattiesburg. And now it's going to stay in the North for now.

Oh yeah- and good luck finding parking near Davis Wade and Vaught-Hemingway. There's a reason why all of us covet parking passes. And Ole Miss's parking situation is worse than ours.

Todd4State
07-21-2014, 07:50 PM
No idea how they formulated that but it seems awfully high.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/07/13/costly-loss-jackson-lose-millions-mhsaa-football-championships-leave-city/12613233/

ETA: It also said that 2.7MM figure was from 2013, which was the lowest attended set of games in a while due to weather. It also said USM was expected to get the 2018 state championships, but that was not official and could have changed.

It is a big hit. If the entire town of Kosciousko comes to Jackson, they're going to buy food, gas, and some of them probably hotels for the night depending on when their game is played. And even moreso if a 5A or 6A school like Gulfport makes it. You have potentially 12 towns bringing a lot of people over that weekend.

Todd4State
07-21-2014, 07:56 PM
I go almost every year because I live in the metro area and it's neat but I won't be driving to Oxford or Starkville to watch MHSAA championships unless I really have a compelling reason to which will be almost never. You might be surprised at how many of the attendees of these games are local people who like HS football. So, don't be surprised at the big drop off in attendence for these games. It will be fans of those schools and practically NO ONE else after the novelty of the first year or two. It's simple demographics. It is also very much NOT centrally located. This is dumb dumb dumb from an attendence point of view. Go ahead and flame me if you want to but I'll just agree to disagree. Casual fans of high school ball still will not be going to these games outside of the local population. When local population is higher, so is attendence. This is not college or pro football.

I agree with you. I always would go no matter what because I like high school football and recruiting. Heck, working at UMC I would sometimes catch some of the 1A game during my lunch break. I go to the MAIS championships at Mississippi College too.

I don't know what I will do yet. If it's Madison Central, I'll probably go. If it's in Starkville, I might go, but probably not. If it's in Oxford, probably not unless it's Madison Central and then it's a maybe.

Now for me to go, I'm probably going to have to take at least a day of work off.

Reason2succeed
07-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Not a Mississippi resident but doesn't this give an advantage to northern schools every year? I'm sure the schools on the coast don't like this at all.

M.Fillmore
07-21-2014, 11:03 PM
They will have to find money elsewhere to steal, waste, squander, misappropriate, .........

Are you talking about Jackson or the MHSAA? The later has some real problems.

BulldogBear
07-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Alabama and Auburn are on opposite ends of the state

Pinto
07-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Kind of a thread hijack, but if your child is playing in the state football championship what stadium do you want them to experience?

DudyDawg
07-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Kind of a thread hijack, but if your child is playing in the state football championship what stadium do you want them to experience?

State and OM. Think that's a legitimate question as well