PDA

View Full Version : Here is the big change in our recruiting strategy from the outside looking in....

maroonmania
07-21-2014, 10:07 AM
yes, the football facility is great, the stadium expansion is great, retaining our best assistants is great, camp atmosphere is great. All of that is understood, but the BIG change is how we have modified our philosophy from a few years ago to really foster and play up the relationships with guys we have committed with guys we are trying to commit. THAT is WAY different from what it used to be. I can remember just a couple of years ago on MSU boards the moans and groans based on comments from some of our commits that they had barely even heard of some other MSU commits much less have any personal relationship with them. MY how times have changed. Now some of this may have occurred naturally but I think the vast majority of this has been orchestrated and HIGHLY encouraged by our staff and its brilliant. Not only do you get the pressure to come on board with your buds but there is a sense of loyalty there at the end that you are not going to desert them even when other "offers" come your way. It was truly the primary reason we ended up with Corey Thomas this past signing period in the end.

shoeless joe
07-21-2014, 10:13 AM
This is probably the same reason the OM folks rite now are thinking if they can flip just one then others will follow.

SDDawg
07-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Nailed it sir. Big difference at the end of last year and a potential game changer this year. I also think the coaching staff changes have been a huge positive as well, major upgrades on the recruiting front over the past few years. Brewster was a loss, but Townsend, Gonzalez and Johnson are definitely compensating and then some. These guys understand how to relate to the kids and tap into these relationships as well.

Political Hack
07-21-2014, 10:37 AM
our coaches used to go weeks without talking to our main prospects while Coach Nix was playing PS3 against them and chatting them up every night. Some of thats changed.

RougeDawg
07-21-2014, 10:57 AM
I think one factor that everyone is forgetting is the hypocrisy and snake oil salesmanship just north of us has started being outed and the true colors are shining through. From trying to attack his own fan to bashing a recruit for decomitting and giving the proper defonition of "commitment" to him, Bucky's true colors are shining through and turning off big time recruits.

FISHDAWG
07-21-2014, 11:03 AM
plus I think we are getting on them earlier while they are still sophomores and juniors .... when it's done that early it gives them reason to watch or keep up with us

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 11:07 AM
I don't think the stadium expansion can be understated here. I know you touched on it, but now that we have an SEC stadium and not just two big stands, it is making a difference. We've never had a night like we did Friday, and where were those kids? The newly bowled stadium.

maroonmania
07-21-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't think the stadium expansion can be understated here. I know you touched on it, but now that we have an SEC stadium and not just two big stands, it is making a difference. We've never had a night like we did Friday, and where were those kids? The newly bowled stadium.

I know they at least saw the stadium but I thought they were mostly in the Palmeiro Center?

DudyDawg
07-21-2014, 12:02 PM
All of the pics I saw were in DWS. Saw a picture (of Peters, I think) in a stance about to do WR drills and it looked like they were in DWS.

TheRef
07-21-2014, 12:07 PM
They did warmups at Seal complex and did drills at DWS.

maroonmania
07-21-2014, 02:43 PM
They did warmups at Seal complex and did drills at DWS.

Ok, well good, I thought the weather had prevented much of any outside work.

TheRef
07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Ok, well good, I thought the weather had prevented much of any outside work.

Rain held off, actually.