PDA

View Full Version : SEC Teams

preachermatt83
07-20-2014, 04:52 PM
I am not like most from the south, I am not always a fan of the SEC teams just to be an SEC fan. I consider two things when choosing who to root for... 1) What outcome is best for MSU and 2) What outcome is worst for OM... that's usually they deciding factor on who I root for.. Having said that there are 2 teams in the SEC other than MSU that I usually pull for.

UGA and SCarolina... UGA being my fav of the two.

I love Richt and they are bulldogs by the way. They seem to have a level headed fan base. As for SC I guess it's just coach spurrier. I have always been a fan of his and I see the ideal way to build a program in the way he has built SC...

So, who is everyone's favorite SEC team outside of MSU?

thedawg
07-20-2014, 05:00 PM
I grew up in Memphis and whole family are UT fans... I grew up a UT Gan until my buddies convinced me to move to Starkville with them... I don't pull hard for them but if they arnt playing the Dawgs and their winning doesn't hurt the Dawgs I'll lightly cheer for them...

It_Could_Happen
07-20-2014, 05:01 PM
Being from arkansas, I find myself pulling for them (except against state). Other than that I've always liked vandy. Smart kids deserve to win every now and then.

SDDawg
07-20-2014, 05:08 PM
I like the other Bulldogs: they field competitive teams, they have spirited fans, but they don't seem to have the arrogance that I see from Bama fans. If I was forced to pick a SEC West team, I'd take A&M because I haven't found a reason to hate them yet. Watching JFF was fun for a couple of years as well. I hope we beat them this year (not expecting them to be very good), but that they still find a way to punish OM.

shoeless joe
07-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Prolly Georgia also. Lot of respect for richt.

There is zero doubt who I find to be the best "character" in the SEC and who I love to watch... Les Myles. That being said I rarely find myself pulling for LSU.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-20-2014, 05:11 PM
I like the other Bulldogs: they field competitive teams, they have spirited fans, but they don't seem to have the arrogance that I see from Bama fans. If I was forced to pick a SEC West team, I'd take A&M because I haven't found a reason to hate them yet. Watching JFF was fun for a couple of years as well. I hope we beat them this year (not expecting them to be very good), but that they still find a way to punish OM.

Move to Texas, they will give you hundreds of reasons to hate them.

AFDawg
07-20-2014, 05:20 PM
I casually pull for Vandy since I went to grad school there. But my emotional investment is minimal, and I'll be the first to acknowledge that some of thier undergrads are just terrible. I had positive feelings about TAMU before they joined the conference, and I like their kooky traditions. But I thought JFF was a douche, and I can't really pull for them since were fighting over the same territory in the SECW. I think Spurrier and Miles are a riot, but I like them as coaches better than their teams.

Pollodawg
07-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Florida or South Carolina.

starkvegasdawg
07-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Georgia here too. Maybe UT if I had to pick a second.

PassInterference
07-20-2014, 05:45 PM
aTm - I've always liked them.

USC East - Been a Spurrier fan a long time

Smitty
07-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Rocky Top. Family ties.

cbrunt29
07-20-2014, 05:57 PM
I like Mizzou. They're always a pretty solid football team and they haven't played MSU yet so I have no reason to dislike them.

mstatefan91
07-20-2014, 06:05 PM
I'm kinda with Preach here. If it doesn't affect MSU or has the potential to upset OM, then I'm pulling for that team in whatever game.

If I had to pick a 2nd....probably Florida. Dunno why but always liked the Gators when we aren't playing them.

Edit: If it's a game in the East, then I just want to watch a good game

LC Dawg
07-20-2014, 06:21 PM
If forced to pick I'd probably pick Florida. I liked Spurrier's teams and Meyer's teams and they also gave us Dan Mullen. As for A&M I think once people really get to know their fans they may become the most disliked team in the league.

Dawgcentral
07-20-2014, 06:38 PM
I could adopt UT as my second team because I like the Smokey Mountains and am considering retirement in East TN. I think Mark Richt is a pretty decent fella, and can appreciate GA at times. USC hasn't really pissed me off yet. The rest can go to hell.

War Machine Dawg
07-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Jawja for me. Love the way Richt runs his program. Always been a big Spurrier fan, too. Other than that, piss on the SEC. When is the last time they did anything for us?Even when we were undefeated in '99 and Bama was sucking ass, the conference screwed us over. Sure, it's fun to give other fans hell about SEC dominance. But it doesn't hurt my feeling to see the conference have its nose bloodied a little. If we have the kind of season we think we could have, it'll be interesting to see if we start getting the infamous protection the other big boys have gotten the last 8 years. A whole lot is riding on the outcome of the LSU game.

BulldogBear
07-20-2014, 07:56 PM
I always pull for whomever I've determined produces the best possible scenario for the advancement of MSU so to speak. When it's too muddled or trivial I tend to go with tradional underdogs like Vandy and Kentucky. This is likely because I relate having seen so many years that we were underdogs. As long as Spurrier is at Sakerlina I tend to pull for them as well. I couldn't stand him at Florida, but once he took his lumps in the NFL, and returned with his tail between his legs I've been for him. I've no particular love for USCe. It'll only last whilst he remains. I loved SWC football second only to SEC growing up and this means sometimes Arkansas gets the nod when I've no particular reason to pull against them.

RTO Dawg
07-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Texas A&M...I like their colors....nm

mcain31
07-20-2014, 08:35 PM
I pull for LSU when they aren't playing MSU. I became a MSU fan when my cousin played here. Outside of the SEC, I watch teams from all over because of guys I used be stationed with.

gravedigger
07-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Then don't ever move to Nashville and meet them. Some are cool. Some.

DragonDawgZ
07-20-2014, 09:09 PM
As someone stated. Live in Texas and you'll hate the Aggiess. Damn school is a cult. Least favorite school behind OM. Gotta go with UT though as my #2. Was able to go to the '98 champ game. Always liked them. Makes it easy since they're in the East.

dickiedawg
07-20-2014, 09:16 PM
I almost always cheer for East teams to beat West teams (MSU excluded, obviously).
Beyond that, usually cheer for the worse team to pull the upset or play it close.

Dawgpile
07-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Vandy... My wife works at the Med Center, and they're going to send my kid to college so I kinda feel obligated.

Coach34
07-20-2014, 10:04 PM
State
LSU
Whomever OM is playing that week.

yjnkdawg
07-20-2014, 10:12 PM
State
LSU
Whomever OM is playing that week.

I agree, 100% on this one, Coach.

FISHDAWG
07-21-2014, 08:34 AM
heard on the radio this am that UGA just got a commitment from a 15yr old in Toccoa, Ga. Off left tackle .... 6'-7" & 326 lbs . The show said as a 14 yr old he could pick up the rear end of a truck ...... also recvd commitment from a 5-star QB from the state of Washington

TheRef
07-21-2014, 08:57 AM
heard on the radio this am that UGA just got a commitment from a 15yr old in Toccoa, Ga. Off left tackle .... 6'-7" & 326 lbs . The show said as a 14 yr old he could pick up the rear end of a truck ...... also recvd commitment from a 5-star QB from the state of Washington

6'7 326 as a 15 y/o? Good Lord what are they feeding that kid!

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Ever since I was a kid, Ive liked Florida. I guess I pull for Vandy. I live by the stadium and have season tickets but their fans are pricks.

I go to a lot of Ole Miss games but dont cheer for them. I dont have the hatred that others seem to have though. There are a lot of good people in Oxford and good Ole Miss fans. Yes, there are plenty of pricks but I find that most of them didnt grow up in MS. As I get older, wins/losses/rivalries generally effect me less and less.

BulldogBear
07-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Ever since I was a kid, Ive liked Florida. I guess I pull for Vandy. I live by the stadium and have season tickets but their fans are pricks.

I go to a lot of Ole Miss games but dont cheer for them. I dont have the hatred that others seem to have though. There are a lot of good people in Oxford and good Ole Miss fans. Yes, there are plenty of pricks but I find that most of them didnt grow up in MS. As I get older, wins/losses/rivalries generally effect me less and less.

I may have done the opposite to a degree. I've also been to a good number of Ole Miss games as can be seen in my watch list but I've found it harder and harder to pull for them and almost never do the last 6-7 years. Ennis, I am an SEC homer in general unlike our friend PreacherMatt (and Matt, I'll continue to have an inside cat heheh) and have tried to stay with that line of thinking concerning the Bears. But in the last decade the general douchebaggery has been ramped up. Now, as the idea goes, we know that a person is reasonable while people are not. In other words, an individual is usually rational but the mob mentality is not. So, as I like to tell folks, it's not so much that I have any kind of problem with the University of Mississippi or it's athletic programs...but the fanbase has really gotten under my skin. Now, I mean the mob, not an individual that one can isolate. My best friend in the whole world is a Bearshark. He's a top notch down to earth fellow that would have more in common relating to a stereotypical MSU fan than the Red and Blue Mob. He does struggle to relate to them but he loves Ole Miss. Outside of my wife and my father, there's no one I admire more. We've gone to Egg Bowl every year since 2002 (also went 1999) with the "home" person providing tickets and dinner and we often go to another Ole Miss game each season while I go to 5-7 State games and he'll come to one on occasion. He's an executive and got invited by a vendor to sit in a Georgia dome box with free food and drinks for the Boise State game and he's bringing me and one other. Free football, drinks and food...you bet I'm going (then have to hightail it back here Friday so I don't miss MSU-USM) but the truth is that I want to support him and the SEC but I will really in my heart be for the Broncos. I won't openly cheer for Boise State because I don't wanna be the a$$hole that ruins his chances of a similar invite in the future. Like I said I don't really hate/dislike UofM, it's the douchebaggery of the fanbase I can't stand. So, while I'd like the University of Mississippi to win, I don't wanna listen to the bs and crowing of the fanbase. So, I prefer them to lose and cheer accordingly. No group of people can turn a win over Memphis into a great accomplishment and/or turn an MSU win over the #1 ranked team (here's hopin') into nothing like that unrealistic bunch.

Political Hack
07-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I like ULaLa (not SEC, I know). I also like LSU and UGA. Have always liked the Ole ball coach too. Despise OM, Auburn, GaTech, and a few more.

preachermatt83
07-21-2014, 11:31 AM

http://themightybooshfansite.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/6/2/166266/2245240.gif

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Obviously Ill be cheering for boise. I just dont generally hate people. Most fanbases are the same to me. They mostly look and act alike, minus lsu and florida fans. There isnt much difference in a bama , om, msu or uga fan.

BulldogBear
07-21-2014, 12:15 PM
http://themightybooshfansite.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/6/2/166266/2245240.gif

I laughed out loud literally

dawgs
07-21-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm with you on not always cheering for other sec teams just because they are sec.

I never ever cheer for ole miss unless it helps msu (i.e. an OM W moves us ahead of the team they beat in the standings - but there's other factors here too, for instance if the W jumps OM into contention but only moves us up from 5th to 4th, I'd still rather OM lose and is stay 5th).

I rarely if ever cheer for Bama or auburn or tenn. Only title game those 2 played in that I cheered for te sec was the Bama-ND game.

The rest of the sec I don't mind. I'm definitely not going out of my way to root for them or touting their Ws like my own (like many sec fans do), and usually it's a case by case basis whether I'll cheer for them in a big game. Depends on who they play, whether I like their current coach/players, if it helps msu one way or the other, etc.

thf24
07-21-2014, 12:25 PM
I bled orange and white up until the day I decided on State, so UT is still my "second team." And not SEC, but as a Memphian I also pull for the Tigers because a good Memphis team is good for the city.