PDA

View Full Version : Dak on the new Strength Coach...

engie
07-20-2014, 01:50 PM
http://www.supertalk.fm/audio-dak-prescott/

Starts about 2:15

Basically says that it's alot more running now, which I feel like we already knew by the drop in bodyfat among much of our team... Also good to hear, when it seemed we struggled late at times last year...

maroonmania
07-20-2014, 02:17 PM
That's probably a good thing. I felt some of our players were just getting too bulky. LDP lost some effectiveness and speed because of gaining too much bulk while still never becoming much of a factor as an interior runner.

DownwardDawg
07-20-2014, 02:29 PM
I want to see Chris Jones in MUCH better shape than he was in last year. He was sucking wind in the Egg Bowl and still dominated the game. Imagine him in top physical condition. Wow!

MabenMaroon
07-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Tremendously happy to hear the running and endurance emphasis. As been posted by myself and others, our first team players and most of our second team can go toe to toe with Alabama, LSU, etc. for 2 1/2 or 3 quarters and have been for the past several years. Then later in the game, a mental lapse or physical breakdown (often due to fatigue) occurs and the door is opened for our opponent to take control of the game and a subsequent loss ensues. If our current roster of 1st and 2nd team players can get two or three more plays executed at that highest level of both mental and physical execution in the later stages of the game (or the later part of the 1st half for that matter) it may translate into a few more wins, which would get us to that next level. Then our improvements in recruiting depth and higher talent levels can kick in and get the program to the point where we all want it to be. We have got the horses to run with biggest boys, just not enough of them at this point in time, so it is imperative to get the absolute most out the ones we got.

MarketingBully01
07-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Tremendously happy to hear the running and endurance emphasis. As been posted by myself and others, our first team players and most of our second team can go toe to toe with Alabama, LSU, etc. for 2 1/2 or 3 quarters and have been for the past several years. Then later in the game, a mental lapse or physical breakdown (often due to fatigue) occurs and the door is opened for our opponent to take control of the game and a subsequent loss ensues. If our current roster of 1st and 2nd team players can get two or three more plays executed at that highest level of both mental and physical execution in the later stages of the game (or the later part of the 1st half for that matter) it may translate into a few more wins, which would get us to that next level. Then our improvements in recruiting depth and higher talent levels can kick in and get the program to the point where we all want it to be. We have got the horses to run with biggest boys, just not enough of them at this point in time, so it is imperative to get the absolute most out the ones we got.

Another key in the running game will be to get more touches to all three backs we have (Robinson, Shumpert and Williams). We may have one of the best stable of backs in the SEC with Dak. If we can keep them fresh, we will be in great shape in the fourth quarter. I would like to see Dak run it less and throw it more. I'd like to see him utilized like Cam Newton where he will run also if the play breaks down. We need more longevity from him. It sounds like he has really improved in the passing game. Sounds very promising to being a true dual threat. If they stack the box, I'd like to see us take advantage of it by going deep to Lewis, Ross or Holloway. I think this offense will score a lot of points. Dak has a lot of weapons around him.

Edited to add I think Jamoral Graham could be a difference maker this year. Will be fun to see Preskott to Graham a few times.

starkvegasdawg
07-20-2014, 04:21 PM
The only spot I might slightly disagree with all of you is offensive line. From what I have seen the truly elite offensive lines in college and the nfl just have absolute road graders. They are not slim and trim. They all have the gut to a degree. There's something to be said for being a massive offensive lineman. Just all that mass leaning against the typically smaller defensive lineman can serve to wear them down over the course of a game. Think back to when JWS had those huge lines. By the end of the game they're just blowing holes in the defensive front of the other team.

Todd4State
07-20-2014, 04:34 PM
The only spot I might slightly disagree with all of you is offensive line. From what I have seen the truly elite offensive lines in college and the nfl just have absolute road graders. They are not slim and trim. They all have the gut to a degree. There's something to be said for being a massive offensive lineman. Just all that mass leaning against the typically smaller defensive lineman can serve to wear them down over the course of a game. Think back to when JWS had those huge lines. By the end of the game they're just blowing holes in the defensive front of the other team.

You want mass, but you want it to be good mass. A guy that is 350 but not conditioned well is different from a guy that is 350 and is conditioned well.

What I'm trying to say is we want Randy Thomas and not one of the guys we had in 2002 or 2003.

CadaverDawg
07-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Another key in the running game will be to get more touches to all three backs we have (Robinson, Shumpert and Williams). We may have one of the best stable of backs in the SEC with Dak. If we can keep them fresh, we will be in great shape in the fourth quarter. I would like to see Dak run it less and throw it more. I'd like to see him utilized like Cam Newton where he will run also if the play breaks down. We need more longevity from him. It sounds like he has really improved in the passing game. Sounds very promising to being a true dual threat. If they stack the box, I'd like to see us take advantage of it by going deep to Lewis, Ross or Holloway. I think this offense will score a lot of points. Dak has a lot of weapons around him.

Edited to add I think Jamoral Graham could be a difference maker this year. Will be fun to see Preskott to Graham a few times.

You won't see Dak running it less...that's our offense. I think he will be much improved in the passing game. I would disagree on who to go deep to....I would like to see DeRunnya and some of the tall WR's on fly patterns. If people want to bring the heat on our run game, beat em deep with guys that will win a jump ball in 1 on 1 coverage. Lewis, Holloway, and Ross may be able to break away, but they won't win any jump balls (Holloway may not catch it if it hits him in the hands, but hopefully he has improved). Just my opinion.

starkvegasdawg
07-20-2014, 04:43 PM
You want mass, but you want it to be good mass. A guy that is 350 but not conditioned well is different from a guy that is 350 and is conditioned well.

What I'm trying to say is we want Randy Thomas and not one of the guys we had in 2002 or 2003.

Can't really argue that. I just want our linemen no lighter than 315. A 6'5" 285lbs offensive lineman will wear down. Regardless of which side of the ball you're on, if every single play you're hitting someone who outweighs you by 30lbs then by the end of the game when it is crunch time you're going to be spent and they have the advantage.

Coach34
07-20-2014, 04:45 PM

People were saying this about Ross last year...I dont see Graham having much of an impact with what we already have at WR. He'll be getting mostly 3rd team reps if he doesnt RS

War Machine Dawg
07-20-2014, 06:44 PM
You won't see Dak running it less...that's our offense. I think he will be much improved in the passing game. I would disagree on who to go deep to....I would like to see DeRunnya and some of the tall WR's on fly patterns. If people want to bring the heat on our run game, beat em deep with guys that will win a jump ball in 1 on 1 coverage. Lewis, Holloway, and Ross may be able to break away, but they won't win any jump balls (Holloway may not catch it if it hits him in the hands, but hopefully he has improved). Just my opinion.

Holloway probably has worse hands than Morrow. And that's saying something. But not in a good way. We've discussed it here ad nauseum, but Holloway is a slot WR with terrible hands. We're giving him a shot as a scatback this year. If it's more than 2-3 touches per game, though, I'm going to lose my mind.

War Machine Dawg
07-20-2014, 06:46 PM
People were saying this about Ross last year...I dont see Graham having much of an impact with what we already have at WR. He'll be getting mostly 3rd team reps if he doesnt RS

Agree, Coach. Ross will definitely be ahead of Graham on the depth chart. Barring someone who's an absolute freak that forces our hand like Gerri Green, assuming he's over his injury, I expect almost our entire FR class to RS. We're that deep.

blacklistedbully
07-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Holloway probably has worse hands than Morrow. And that's saying something. But not in a good way. We've discussed it here ad nauseum, but Holloway is a slot WR with terrible hands. We're giving him a shot as a scatback this year. If it's more than 2-3 touches per game, though, I'm going to lose my mind.

Please, Sweet Baby Jesus, don't let Mullen think it's a great idea to run Holloway between tackles time-after-time! I think I will lose what's left of my hair if we see that again this year.

archdog
07-20-2014, 08:41 PM

I will have to disagree, Ross and Graham are going to light it up.

thedawg
07-20-2014, 08:44 PM
If it were me I would make Holloway catch punts for about an hour a day... make him a kick returner only and be done with it

engie
07-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Ross moved back outside... Expected to spell RoJo...

Coach34
07-20-2014, 09:05 PM
I will have to disagree, Ross and Graham are going to light it up.

who are they going to take reps from? Bear, RoJo, or Tubby? Gabe Myles is one of the fastest on the team and had a great Spring- gonna be hard to get past him as Tubby's back-up. Ross and Fred gonna back up RoJo and Bear.

starkvegasdawg
07-20-2014, 09:13 PM
who are they going to take reps from? Bear, RoJo, or Tubby? Gabe Myles is one of the fastest on the team and had a great Spring- gonna be hard to get past him as Tubby's back-up. Ross and Fred gonna back up RoJo and Bear.

What's this? Depth at a skill position? This ain't yo daddy's MSU. Dare I say we might actually present some matchup problems?

bulldawg28
07-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Ross moved back outside... Expected to spell RoJo...

That's great news. If Rojo has the droppies he can be subbed with quality.

War Machine Dawg
07-20-2014, 11:03 PM

Not to mention Shelby Christy looked damn good in the spring game. No one is talking about him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a factor in the WR rotation.