PDA

View Full Version : What do you think made this years Big Dawg Camp so successful?

NorCalDawg
07-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Personally, I think a very energetic, motivated, young coaching staff along with new facilities and stadium expansion that will at least put us on par with every other SEC programs facilities, 4 bowl games in a row, 4 out of 5 Egg Bowls, putting players in the NFL, and our current roster of star power all combined to help make this years Big Dawg Camp the success it was.

But I am curious, was something done in this years camp that was not done in years past?

All the interviews of the players in attendance can't say enough about what a great experience it was and how much energy there was around this years camp. I've lost count of the players that said it was "crazy" or "the best one they've been to." I'm sure some of that energy came from all the verbal commitments that were made, the media attention, and it seems that many of the players are close friends that genuinely like being around one another. I think Farrod Green has a lot to do with that. He seems like he's been the Class of 2015's VIP social coordinator.

However, I don't recall hearing this kind of talk about any of the previous Big Dawg Camps. What made this camp so crazy? Why is this one been hailed as the best one they've ever been to? I've never been around any of these camps at this level, but was there a format or program change that contributed to its success? What factors do you think made this years Big Dawg Camp the success it was?

Leroy Jenkins
07-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Reading between the lines a lot of last nights commits were committed privately before now. The staff wanted them to hold their announcement until the camp so the undecideds could get on board and caught up in the momentum.

I think. I wasn't there.

PassInterference
07-19-2014, 04:03 PM
http://on.thec-l.com/1k0mLkU

There's a CL video from camp.

Coach34
07-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Our staff made sure they had an exciting camp
Our staff got with Addidas to make sure some precious SWAG was available

Mullen has finally accepted the perception part of all this and is doing a great of job listening to his younger coaches. That loss in Oxford in 2012 changed alot of things and we are just starting to really see the effects

mstatefan91
07-19-2014, 04:10 PM
http://on.thec-l.com/1k0mLkU

There's a CL video from camp.

Great video. Love the end for sure

Dawg61
07-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Not sure we should be putting down a blueprint for success here. JS

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 04:15 PM

I agree, but at the same time, whatever recruits don't end up at State can tell whatever team they go to.

Dawg61
07-19-2014, 04:27 PM
I agree, but at the same time, whatever recruits don't end up at State can tell whatever team they go to.

I think it's best we leave the real reasons for success out of this thread and fill it with horseshite instead

TheRef
07-19-2014, 04:29 PM
I think it's best we leave the real reasons for success out of this thread and fill it with horseshite instead

We fed them BK from campus the whole time. Gave them all the milkshakes they would like.

Dawg61
07-19-2014, 04:34 PM
It's obvious we gave the cruits Zumba pants to match the Adidas swag

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/zubaz.jpg
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mNMMdE4SQm4JBuGKpmruHeQ.jpg

mstatefan91
07-19-2014, 04:35 PM
We fed them BK from campus the whole time. Gave them all the milkshakes they would like.

Gave them a tour of the renovated academic building Lee on the drill field.

Also, showed them the schematics to the new dining facility where the tennis courts used to be. All good things

NorCalDawg
07-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Mullen has finally accepted the perception part of all this and is doing a great of job listening to his younger coaches. That loss in Oxford in 2012 changed alot of things and we are just starting to really see the effects

I definitely feel like our young coaching staff knows how to make a connection with these guys. It's cool to watch Collins run around with those guys like a madman!

The Egg Bowl loss certainly was motivational; but, for Mullen, I think something that has been even more motivational than that has been OM's recruiting antics.

Motivation is one thing, but you still have to have a good plan. It seems like they have put together a good plan. Whatever it is they're doing, I like it.

Homedawg
07-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Geoff Collins has an electricity like no other. He gets it!

NorCalDawg
07-19-2014, 04:47 PM

I was just asking for opinions, not top secret shit. Thanks for sharing.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-19-2014, 04:53 PM
I was just asking for opinions, not top secret shit. Thanks for sharing.

Titties and Beer

mstatefan91
07-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Titties and Beer

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/134184/thumbs/s-MISSISSIPPI-STATE-STRIP-CLUB-RECRUITS-PONY-large.jpg

Dawg61
07-19-2014, 05:04 PM
New commercial already bringing in recruits

http://youtu.be/qA208P_veOg

smootness
07-19-2014, 05:12 PM
A lot of different factors have gone into it, and Hughes deserves a lot of credit. But don't forget that Collins was a well-respected recruiting coordinator, and he did great things at GT specifically. He was known for being ahead of the game and giving guys tons of attention early. And it seems like every year he's been here, we've done a little better than the year before in making waves early, then this year exploded.

We need to make absolutely sure that only a decent head-coaching gig could pull him away.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Really wish we couldve kept brewster

NorCalDawg
07-19-2014, 05:41 PM
A lot of different factors have gone into it, and Hughes deserves a lot of credit. But don't forget that Collins was a well-respected recruiting coordinator, and he did great things at GT specifically. He was known for being ahead of the game and giving guys tons of attention early. And it seems like every year he's been here, we've done a little better than the year before in making waves early, then this year exploded.

We need to make absolutely sure that only a decent head-coaching gig could pull him away.

Agree with this. I love the way he recruited Marlon Humphrey last year. His new contract should be enough to make most of the lower tier head coaching jobs unattractive, but even some CUSA, MWC, and AAC coaching jobs are paying $1MM+, now. I doubt he would leave for one of those jobs, but I still think it's only a matter of time before one of the big boys comes knocking.

chef dixon
07-20-2014, 11:01 AM
I think the stadium expansion is a highly underrated factor.

TheRef
07-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Here you go, guys. THIS is the type of people we have produced

The QuarterBack!!!
@ChasonVirgil5
Me and my role model @15_DakP pic.twitter.com/j3blWX25zt

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtAQSj6CEAAEb3w.jpg

engie
07-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Watch Deddrick Thomas make the diving catch on the last play of this video. Watch Dak's reaction to it. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2014/07/19/mississippi-state-now-among-javon-pattersons-leaders/12884541/

That explains what made the camp special in 5 seconds.

smootness
07-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Watch Deddrick Thomas make the diving catch on the last play of this video. Watch Dak's reaction to it. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2014/07/19/mississippi-state-now-among-javon-pattersons-leaders/12884541/

That explains what made the camp special in 5 seconds.

Wow, that's amazing to see our current players that involved and into it.

Also, the second most impressive thing on that video was the explosiveness of Leo Lewis. My gosh.

AlSwearengen
07-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Lot's of energy. If I were a recruit and made a good play and the coaches and current players came running and celebrating, I would probably notice that.

the59dawg
07-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Personally, I think a very energetic, motivated, young coaching staff along with new facilities and stadium expansion that will at least put us on par with every other SEC programs facilities, 4 bowl games in a row, 4 out of 5 Egg Bowls, putting players in the NFL, and our current roster of star power all combined to help make this years Big Dawg Camp the success it was.

But I am curious, was something done in this years camp that was not done in years past?

All the interviews of the players in attendance can't say enough about what a great experience it was and how much energy there was around this years camp. I've lost count of the players that said it was "crazy" or "the best one they've been to." I'm sure some of that energy came from all the verbal commitments that were made, the media attention, and it seems that many of the players are close friends that genuinely like being around one another. I think Farrod Green has a lot to do with that. He seems like he's been the Class of 2015's VIP social coordinator.

However, I don't recall hearing this kind of talk about any of the previous Big Dawg Camps. What made this camp so crazy? Why is this one been hailed as the best one they've ever been to? I've never been around any of these camps at this level, but was there a format or program change that contributed to its success? What factors do you think made this years Big Dawg Camp the success it was?

I think starting in the new Seal FB facility helped. They all met there and dressed, etc. Then the first hour or so warmup drills were conducted outside Seal, after which all boarded buses and went over to the newly expanded FB stadium. The expansion was obvious. Add in the current FB team members that were there and active in teaching, supporting, etc, as well as our 4 NFL members that were back there to also help out with support/advice. I think all that just snowballed. All were fed afterward, probably back at the Seal bldg, which has two different dining areas. I think I would have been excited by it all. They had to be impressed based on much BS they have heard and for those who never had been to MSU.
I also agree with the poster that most of the commitments were known ahead of time and our coaches orchestrated doing all commitments at the Big Dawg. It just snowballed then.