PDA

View Full Version : Don't Look Now(Wes Rea)...

engie
07-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Up to .214 with a 3 run bomb last night. 12 RBIs in 13 games. Went 5 for 12 this week with a double, homer, 4RBI, 3 walks, and only 2 K's in 3 games. Tied for 5th in the league in homers now. Worth keeping an eye on in the next few weeks to see if this was an outlier or if actual progress has been made...

starkvegasdawg
07-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Just saw a tweet that said he homered and doubled in the same inning last night.

Political Hack
07-19-2014, 11:48 AM
didn't he make the finals in his leagues HR derby too?

He needs to get more bend at the plate. He's too relaxed during the windup. If he'd bend more he could uncork, chase low pitches and breaking balls a little better, and explode with power on the fast ball. I hope they retool his stance this summer.

RAYn_Man
07-19-2014, 11:53 AM

He needs to get more bend at the plate. He's too relaxed during the windup. If he'd bend more he could uncork, chase low pitches and breaking balls a little better, and explode with power on the fast ball. I hope they retool his stance this summer.

Not much instruction goes on in these leagues so any adjustments would be made by himself most likely.

msstate7
07-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Glad to hear it. We need em

engie
07-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Not much instruction goes on in these leagues so any adjustments would be made by himself most likely.

That depends on where you go -- and what your purpose is for being there.

Rea has been working on some pretty major changes to his swing and approach this summer. He came out ice cold -- and is seemingly starting to "find it" now... We'll see...

Political Hack
07-19-2014, 12:16 PM
That depends on where you go -- and what your purpose is for being there.

Rea has been working on some pretty major changes to his swing and approach this summer. He came out ice cold -- and is seemingly starting to "find it" now... We'll see...

to me, that's way bigger news than just him getting on a streak. If it's a result of changing is approach at the plate it could be a huge, huge plus next season.

Todd4State
07-19-2014, 12:20 PM

This may sound weird, but him being in that home run derby might be one of the best things to happen to him in terms of confidence.

I seen it dawg
07-19-2014, 03:50 PM
to me, that's way bigger news than just him getting on a streak. If it's a result of changing is approach at the plate it could be a huge, huge plus next season.

Yeah it doesn't matter what he hits this summer as long as he gets a new approach. What he was doing was obviously not working. This summer is to re-tool

MsStateBaseball
07-19-2014, 11:01 PM
I think his deal is mental. He gets discouraged and it snow balls on him.

engie
07-19-2014, 11:09 PM
I think his deal is mental. He gets discouraged and it snow balls on him.

It's certainly partially mental. But it's mechanical issues that lead to the mental issues with him. He never "sold out" to an approach last year -- leaving him somewhere in between. He tries to yank fastballs -- and can hit for power, but can't hit the offspeed at all. If he adjusts for the offspeed and goes oppo approach, he can't hit for any power at all.

Rea just needs to simplify and find a happy medium. What really needs to happen -- is for him to focus on learning to drive the fastball the other way. Once he can hit for power from center to the right center gap with that approach, he'll be alot closer to timing up the offspeed with power as well.

All that to say -- I think he's beginning to figure it out.

engie
07-19-2014, 11:14 PM
1-5 tonight with a run scored and a stolen base... No K's...

2 K's(3 walks) in last 20 plate appearances...

ShotgunDawg
07-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Wes Rea's swing is too long. Unless he backed off the plate or had a swing reconstruction, he a'int getting better.

War Machine Dawg
07-19-2014, 11:28 PM
It's certainly partially mental. But it's mechanical issues that lead to the mental issues with him. He never "sold out" to an approach last year -- leaving him somewhere in between. He tries to yank fastballs -- and can hit for power, but can't hit the offspeed at all. If he adjusts for the offspeed and goes oppo approach, he can't hit for any power at all.

Rea just needs to simplify and find a happy medium. What really needs to happen -- is for him to focus on learning to drive the fastball the other way. Once he can hit for power from center to the right center gap with that approach, he'll be alot closer to timing up the offspeed with power as well.

All that to say -- I think he's beginning to figure it out.

It's taken long enough. And you'd think our supposed badass offensive HC would know what you just said and be able to teach him how to do that.

War Machine Dawg
07-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Wes Rea's swing is too long. Unless he backed off the plate or had a swing reconstruction, he a'int getting better.

We've had fans/alums, most notably Bruce Castoria, saying this for 2 years. Wes is being robbed of all power by standing so close to the plate. Anything inside, but particularly the fastball, eats him up or jams him. At 6'5", he's tall enough that he can cover the outside corner and be further back from the plate. But crowding the plate makes him lineman sized punch-and-Judy hitter. He backed off a little bit last season, but not enough.

Dawg61
07-20-2014, 01:45 AM
If Rea learned what "back-legging" a baseball meant and only focused on timing that up he'd hit 15+ HR next year. His weight transfer and messed up timing is his biggest issue imo. I think where he stands is fine he just needs to learn the art of when and how to weight shift and the role his legs play in that. Almost every power hitter looks the same waist down from the side at the point of impact. If you look at Rea from the side at point of impact you'd see major flaws in his transfer. Does anyone have access to side shots of Rea's swing? I'd love to see them. I bet Rea moves his head too much forward also.

RBritt
07-20-2014, 02:26 AM
Well if he can't hit. He can work at kolby byrd's new ranch.

I seen it dawg
07-20-2014, 08:23 AM
All these adjustments you guys suggest with all your knowledge of hitting is great. He may just not be able to do what it takes to be a good hitter. He may have hit his ceiling.

RAYn_Man
07-20-2014, 09:22 AM
We have so many hitting coaches on here. How did y'all not get the position after Wells left?

engie
07-20-2014, 09:39 AM
We have so many hitting coaches on here. How did y'all not get the position after Wells left?

Everyone was scared to apply because Rogue was in the running**

Actually, most of us KNOW how good our current "hitting coaches" are -- and don't pretend to be better. The best hitting coaches in baseball history have guys underperform and go mental from time to time.

Also, swing overhauls are basically never attempted in season. Minor tweaks maybe, but not overhauls.

Maroons
07-20-2014, 10:03 AM
He definitely was jumping at the ball last year.

Dawg61
07-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Talking hitting is like talking the golf swing. It's a popular subject. If it isn't Rea's mechanics people talk about it will just be a different hitter.

engie
07-21-2014, 10:18 AM
1-3 yesterday with a walk and zero K's...

2 K's in last 24 plate appearances... 7-20 in that time...

Political Hack
07-21-2014, 10:35 AM
1-3 yesterday with a walk and zero K's...

2 K's in last 24 plate appearances... 7-20 in that time...

nice.

engie
07-21-2014, 07:21 PM
3 run bomb in the first tonight...

Cody Brown just went yack in the 4th as well...

Smitty
07-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Tonight Rea 2-3 with a 2B and HBP. Brown 3-3 with a 2B and BB.

engie
07-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Tonight Rea 2-3 with a 2B and HBP. Brown 3-3 with a 2B and BB.

WOW, that makes Brown 6 for his last 6. He went 3-3 with 3 doubles and 5 RBI yesterday! Rea did K once tonight. So that's 3 K's in 33 plate appearances.

Cody Brown up to 7th in batting average in that league now @.326. Rea is up to .259.

In terms of Isolated Power(SABR for slugging - avg -- essentially making it an "extra bases per at bat" stat), Wes Rea is 2nd in the Cal Ripken League and Cody Brown is 4th among regular players. By all realistic terms, both are slaughtering the ball.

messageboardsuperhero
07-23-2014, 10:16 PM
WOW, that makes Brown 6 for his last 6. He went 3-3 with 3 doubles and 5 RBI yesterday! Rea did K once tonight. So that's 3 K's in 33 plate appearances.

Cody Brown up to 7th in batting average in that league now @.326. Rea is up to .259.

In terms of Isolated Power(SABR for slugging - avg -- essentially making it an "extra bases per at bat" stat), Wes Rea is 2nd in the Cal Ripken League and Cody Brown is 4th among regular players. By all realistic terms, both are slaughtering the ball.

Cohenz hates power hitters. Expect Brown and Rea to just try and "slap it somewhere" next season- if not, they'll be kicked off the team.**

Steakonastick
07-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Sure wish we could use wooden bats all year.

Smitty
07-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Cody has a .434 OBP as well so he's being patient and not just taking wild cuts

Smitty
07-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Does anyone have access to side shots of Rea's swing? I'd love to see them. .

http://bigtrain.org.ismmedia.com/ISM3/thumbcache/0dd62afe58839355272ad1f138d9c9d4.300.jpg

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/640/FC/FCYLFVCPPLDGGXM.20140717163237.jpg

Todd4State
07-23-2014, 11:38 PM

I'm happy to see Wes come around.

headcoach98
07-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Just want him to produce for us his senior year, I'm betting he will because he'll have a chip on his shoulder.