PDA

View Full Version : In the words of Samuel Jackson....allow me to retort

gravedigger
07-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Yesterday or last night was no different for me, MSU football wise, than any other non game day.

First, it is fine to be happy about yesterday. It appears we have some good athletes who are impressed with the idea of playing at MSU.

However...

1. It's July 2014......... February 2015 is when these young men get to make it somewhat official (sign a binding letter). August 2015 when they show up it is official (be cleared to play). AND THEN THEY ACTUALLY HAVE TO PUT ON THE PADS AND DO IT. (perform)

2. Yea, yea....the crocodile tears from Yancy, Nafoom, and half of the posters on sixpack make it funny to watch. But their fanbase seems more enamored with players who eventually FAIL to pan out. I hope their current and coming infatuation with our kids isn't a sign those kids are more hype than help.

3. Sorry but yesterday does not qualify as 'the kind of day' I'VE been waiting for. Nor do I think we made any sort of a statement except that MSU made a great impression on some very talented athletes. Yesterday qualifies as a media stuntto get attention and maybe it will cause other kids to come join the party. Unless of course the real party is about money and fellatio. Then yesterday effectively put a bulls eye on the wallets and crotches of every kid that spoke up.

IF all the non binding verbal commits made your world last night, then it's obvious the Lebron James love fest on signing day 2013 for ole miss was your worst nightmare. NEITHER are all that significant.

The best, and really the ONLY indication is performance. If these kids pan out and lead us to better things, then Friday was as big as many have thought. The date we should be finding that out is no earlier than September of 2015 and most likely September 2016.

It seems like getting attention is more important than actually getting football players.

Shame, that.

Leroy Jenkins
07-19-2014, 10:34 AM
http://hotmeme.net/media/i/5/8/fKR-someone-belittled-my-wife-beating-2048.jpg

Raytoraid83
07-19-2014, 10:35 AM
We're on the way to signing the best class in mississippi state history. Sit back and enjoy it.

smootness
07-19-2014, 10:36 AM
I don't think most State fans loved yesterday because of the attention. I couldn't care less if anyone gives us attention over it. I loved yesterday because we got a bunch of good football players who said they want to play at State to go along with the bunch of good football players we already had who said they wanted to play at State.

Obviously the actual games are all that matters, and none of us know how any of these kids will develop. But we're starting in a very good spot, which is having a lot of talent to work with. And that talent level continues to improve.

I've never understood those who care so much about the players who play on Saturdays yet try to pretend they don't care about recruiting. What is happening now in recruiting directly impacts who steps on the field to play for us on Saturdays. That's why I care about recruiting.

If Jamal Peters is an All-American 4 years from now wreaking havoc on opposing receivers, then that process started yesterday. Just like the process of Johnthan Banks becoming the Thorpe Award winner started the day he committed to State. And I, like many others, was excited about him as a prospect before he ever stepped on campus. Sure, you have some who won't amount to much and others who will fly under the radar. But being invested now allows me to be even more invested later, because I watched the entire process unfold.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 10:39 AM
If we had done it with money, bars, drugs, and women....I would agree with you a little bit. But we didn't. We impressed these kids with a family atmosphere at a football camp. No night life was needed. Yesterday was a big deal in the perception of our program to current and future recruits. Does it mean anything in the win/loss column? Not right away....but to act like it was nothing is also not true. I understand your overall point, and I agree that some may take last night a little too far in terms of importance since it's early...but IMO, you are a little extreme on the other side if you don't think it was a very big deal for our program.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 10:41 AM
I don't think most State fans loved yesterday because of the attention. I couldn't care less if anyone gives us attention over it. I loved yesterday because we got a bunch of good football players who said they want to play at State to go along with the bunch of good football players we already had who said they wanted to play at State.

Obviously the actual games are all that matters, and none of us know how any of these kids will develop. But we're starting in a very good spot, which is having a lot of talent to work with. And that talent level continues to improve.

I've never understood those who care so much about the players who play on Saturdays yet try to pretend they don't care about recruiting. What is happening now in recruiting directly impacts who steps on the field to play for us on Saturdays. That's why I care about recruiting.

If Jamal Peters is an All-American 4 years from now wreaking havoc on opposing receivers, then that process started yesterday. Just like the process of Johnthan Banks becoming the Thorpe Award winner started the day he committed to State. And I, like many others, was excited about him as a prospect before he ever stepped on campus. Sure, you have some who won't amount to much and others who will fly under the radar. But being invested now allows me to be even more invested later, because I watched the entire process unfold.

Good post, I agree

Gordon Gekko
07-19-2014, 10:43 AM
It seems like getting attention is more important than actually getting football players.

Shame, that.

I'll be honest I don't follow recruiting, but did we get commitments from guys we don't really want? Did we get a bunch of known non-qualifiers or bad attitudes just for the star rating like the bears do?

If we got players we want and attention its a huge win-win for State. I don't know why some of our fans can't be happy and have to look for a rain cloud every time something goes our way.

woozman
07-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Link issues...

godlluB
07-19-2014, 10:51 AM
If we got players we want and attention its a huge win-win for State. I don't know why some of our fans can't be happy and have to look for a rain cloud every time something goes our way.

Because a significant portion of our fans aren't happy unless they are complaining about something.

MarketingBully01
07-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Yesterday or last night was no different for me, MSU football wise, than any other non game day.

First, it is fine to be happy about yesterday. It appears we have some good athletes who are impressed with the idea of playing at MSU.

However...

1. It's July 2014......... February 2015 is when these young men get to make it somewhat official (sign a binding letter). August 2015 when they show up it is official (be cleared to play). AND THEN THEY ACTUALLY HAVE TO PUT ON THE PADS AND DO IT. (perform)

2. Yea, yea....the crocodile tears from Yancy, Nafoom, and half of the posters on sixpack make it funny to watch. But their fanbase seems more enamored with players who eventually FAIL to pan out. I hope their current and coming infatuation with our kids isn't a sign those kids are more hype than help.

3. Sorry but yesterday does not qualify as 'the kind of day' I'VE been waiting for. Nor do I think we made any sort of a statement except that MSU made a great impression on some very talented athletes. Yesterday qualifies as a media stuntto get attention and maybe it will cause other kids to come join the party. Unless of course the real party is about money and fellatio. Then yesterday effectively put a bulls eye on the wallets and crotches of every kid that spoke up.

IF all the non binding verbal commits made your world last night, then it's obvious the Lebron James love fest on signing day 2013 for ole miss was your worst nightmare. NEITHER are all that significant.

The best, and really the ONLY indication is performance. If these kids pan out and lead us to better things, then Friday was as big as many have thought. The date we should be finding that out is no earlier than September of 2015 and most likely September 2016.

Shame, that.

I have to say us doing good in recruiting and picking up four big commits has really brought out the chicken littles. Jeez dude, MSU is getting 1) a lot of good press, 2) a lot of great recruits because of said press and being known as the school that has a family atmosphere and where you can get better as a player and a person and 3) we are embarking on possibly one of the best seasons in our history. I guess I don't get this pessimistic bullshit attitude when there is really no reason to have one. I think it's dumb and shortens a person's lifespan when they see all good things happen to them and then think wait a minute something bad is going to happen...

MSUDawg4Life
07-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Speaking of Samuel L. Jackson and Pulp Fiction:

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

How appropriate.

Political Hack
07-19-2014, 11:07 AM
I think recruiting rankings are ridiculous. It means nothing. Kids transfer, don't make grades, get injured, flunk out, etc... Classes should be graded and ranked 5 years later.

The good thing to celebrate about yesterday is that a lot of very talented kids decided they want to be a part of the MSU family. That's worth celebrating. The fact that CDM attracted football players with a football camp is a little crazy given OM's recruiting tactics, but apparently it works out well for us in November.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 11:17 AM
I think recruiting rankings are ridiculous. It means nothing. Kids transfer, don't make grades, get injured, flunk out, etc... Classes should be graded and ranked 5 years later.

The good thing to celebrate about yesterday is that a lot of very talented kids decided they want to be a part of the MSU family. That's worth celebrating. The fact that CDM attracted football players with a football camp is a little crazy given OM's recruiting tactics, but apparently it works out well for us in November.

^This^

http://replygif.net/i/861.gif

SDDawg
07-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Hack has nailed this one at every turn, in the end it's all about November. And we're delivering in November, I don't expect it to be easy this year, but I expect us to deliver again at VH in 4 months and quite probably embarrass Ole Miss in a big way. Here's the part that I think we should be really excited about: Mullen intends to run the best program in this State in every respect and he's delivering on that vision. We will not only win on the field, but we'll win on the recruiting trail and in the quality of our camps, engagement with the high school coaching community, and in creating a POSITIVE impression of our program, etc. We're building something sustainable that doesn't require Matt Luke or Hugh Freeze-types to sell their souls in order achieve our ultimate goal. It also doesn't require cash, loose women or alcohol/drugs on the party scene to get the impact we want. The goal here is to represent Mississippi State University in a positive way and to bring positive attention to the whole school. Mullen is doing that in a way that Freeze can't ever do, because Mullen is just a better person than Freeze. I know some people will disagree with that, but I know people and if you can't see it then you never will.

Any time that MSU gets positive recognition for doing things the right way, I'm very excited about it. Yesterday was a huge step for our program. And it has nothing to do with Ole Miss, I only point out the comparison because that's the one that we live with day to day in our State and I'm proud to stand out in a positive way.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Hack has nailed this one at every turn, in the end it's all about November. And we're delivering in November, I don't expect it to be easy this year, but I expect us to deliver again at VH in 4 months and quite probably embarrass Ole Miss in a big way. Here's the part that I think we should be really excited about: Mullen intends to run the best program in this State in every respect and he's delivering on that vision. We will not only win on the field, but we'll win on the recruiting trail and in the quality of our camps, engagement with the high school coaching community, and in creating a POSITIVE impression of our program, etc. We're building something sustainable that doesn't require Matt Luke or Hugh Freeze-types to sell their souls in order achieve our ultimate goal. It also doesn't require cash, loose women or alcohol/drugs on the party scene to get the impact we want. The goal here is to represent Mississippi State University in a positive way and to bring positive attention to the whole school. Mullen is doing that in a way that Freeze can't ever do, because Mullen is just a better person than Freeze. I know some people will disagree with that, but I know people and if you can't see it then you never will.

Any time that MSU gets positive recognition for doing things the right way, I'm very excited about it. Yesterday was a huge step for our program. And it has nothing to do with Ole Miss, I only point out the comparison because that's the one that we live with day to day in our State and I'm proud to stand out in a positive way.

Exactly. And at the end of the day, Teams and fans of other SEC schools know how tough we play, how well we develop, and how big and physical we are, with lesser talent. NOW, they see us having a night like last night and getting a big buzz from top talent, and it worries them, because if we make McKinney's and Banks' out of 2 stars.....what are we capable of doing with a Jamal Peters, Leo Lewis, Nick Gibson, Justin Johnson, etc. this is why you're seeing the panic among OM fans, and more comments about MSU from beat writers of other SEC programs.

We're rolling right now, and don't let anything anybody says or tries to imply tell you otherwise. What we are witnessing right now, is MSU taking a next step. It started at the end of last year, and it will build this season, and we'll plant our foot on that next step after the season and with the signing of this recruiting class.

HailState

engie
07-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Why do our fans constantly feel the need to give us a "reality check" every time something good happens? It drives me crazy. News flash: Sports ISN'T reality. For most of us, it's an escape from it. If we want to be happy about last night, consider it symbolic of the improvements we've made as a program, and dream of a day where we're able to "be more than we are", why would we NOT want to do that? Because some of you are so damn scared that the bubble will burst at some point that you have to wallow in pessimism and refuse to truly buy in and enjoy the ride? Do you play everything that safe?

"Reality" is what's held our program back for so many years. We just spent $100 mil, built a palace, have the facilities, have the QB, the defense, the leadership, swag, coaching staff, recruiters, money, etc... If we can't dream bigger RIGHT NOW -- when will we ever be able to? Carpe Diem. It's time to grind and go all in -- and ride the wave for as long as we possibly can. I imagine those people in Blacksburg, Va -- who "couldn't" -- have been enjoying the hell out of their ride for the last 20 years.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Why do our fans CONSTANTLY feel the need to give us a "reality check" every time something good happens? It drives me crazy. News flash: Sports ISN'T REALITY. For most of us, it's an escape from it. If we want to be happy about last night, consider it symbolic of the improvements we've made as a program, and dream of a day where we're able to "be more than we are", why would we NOT want to do that? Because some of you are so damn scared that the bubble will burst at some point that you have to wallow in pessimism and refuse to truly buy in and enjoy the ride? Do you play everything that safe?

"Reality" is what's held our program back for so many years. We just spent $100 mil, built a palace, have the facilities, have the QB, the defense, coaching staff, etc... If we can't dream bigger RIGHT NOW -- when can we?

Welcome back, engie. (This wasn't an engiNe post)

Bravo. I agree

FISHDAWG
07-19-2014, 12:01 PM
take this crap back to SPS

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 12:03 PM
take this crap back to SPS

It's "SDS" now, haven't you heard? "SixDakSpeak". I love it, brilliant move by DS bc I know it grinds on OM nerves.

dawgs
07-19-2014, 12:55 PM

Recruiting rankings aren't perfect, but they definitely give you a decent gauge for where you stand.

PassInterference
07-19-2014, 01:29 PM

Restaurant quality post.

I also don't care what our class is ranked. I might even prefer a lot of these guy stay 3 stars and then kick the other teams' 5 star asses all over the field.

I also am just glad to see a lot of really good player coming to MSU. The quality of these players is obvious from their videos.

PMDawg
07-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Recruiting rankings aren't perfect, but they definitely give you a decent gauge for where you stand.

Unless we're talking about Ole miss, right?

I seen it dawg
07-19-2014, 04:01 PM

However...

Shame, that.

Booooooooooooooooooooooo

Todd4State
07-19-2014, 05:20 PM
About the recrutiing rankings- funny thing is, I'm just as pumped about a guy like Mixon who isn't a 4 star as I am about Peters. Why? Because both are really good players.

poposay
07-19-2014, 06:41 PM
If we had done it with money, bars, drugs, and women....I would agree with you a little bit. But we didn't. We impressed these kids with a family atmosphere at a football camp. No night life was needed.

I've had a hell of good past 24 hours, but this is probably the best laugh I've gotten in a while. Shirley you don't believe that. Shirley.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 07:39 PM
I've had a hell of good past 24 hours, but this is probably the best laugh I've gotten in a while. Shirley you don't believe that. Shirley.

I'm 100% serious, and it's a fact. The players were there for a camp. They were raving last night about a CAMP. They didn't all spend the night up there, and most if not all didn't go out in Starkville last night. So I'm 100% serious, and if you think otherwise you're wrong. I'm not saying we won't use those things during the process of recruiting them...but we didn't use any of those things THIS weekend. Do you disagree, Colonel?

Dawg61
07-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Why do our fans constantly feel the need to give us a "reality check" every time something good happens? It drives me crazy. News flash: Sports ISN'T reality. For most of us, it's an escape from it. If we want to be happy about last night, consider it symbolic of the improvements we've made as a program, and dream of a day where we're able to "be more than we are", why would we NOT want to do that? Because some of you are so damn scared that the bubble will burst at some point that you have to wallow in pessimism and refuse to truly buy in and enjoy the ride? Do you play everything that safe?

"Reality" is what's held our program back for so many years. We just spent $100 mil, built a palace, have the facilities, have the QB, the defense, the leadership, swag, coaching staff, recruiters, money, etc... If we can't dream bigger RIGHT NOW -- when will we ever be able to? Carpe Diem. It's time to grind and go all in -- and ride the wave for as long as we possibly can. I imagine those people in Blacksburg, Va -- who "couldn't" -- have been enjoying the hell out of their ride for the last 20 years.

Best post you've had in like ever. Who stole your laptop?

War Machine Dawg
07-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm 100% serious, and it's a fact. The players were there for a camp. They were raving last night about a CAMP. They didn't all spend the night up there, and most if not all didn't go out in Starkville last night. So I'm 100% serious, and if you think otherwise you're wrong. I'm not saying we won't use those things during the process of recruiting them...but we didn't use any of those things THIS weekend. Do you disagree, Colonel?

C'mon, Cadaver. You know you want to.

http://i.imgur.com/8r4qr9J.gif

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 10:29 PM
C'mon, Cadaver. You know you want to.

http://i.imgur.com/8r4qr9J.gif

Want to bad. Ha

TheRef
07-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Want to bad. Ha

If I were a Mod, this would have been my ban image

http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/engine-performance-56/113748d1400692118-turbo-exhaust-5470d1384830626-just-another-intro-banhammer_forecast1-jpg

War Machine Dawg
07-19-2014, 11:24 PM
If I were a Mod, this would have been my ban image

http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/engine-performance-56/113748d1400692118-turbo-exhaust-5470d1384830626-just-another-intro-banhammer_forecast1-jpg

That one is great too.

TheRef
07-19-2014, 11:25 PM
That one is great too.

Fits with my role here.

mic
07-20-2014, 07:57 AM

However...

Shame, that.

Ever how long it took you to come up with and type this was a complete waste of time...

Bully13
07-20-2014, 08:45 AM
couldn't disagree more with gravedigger. in order for our program to improve, we've got to be able to sway some players to us that have options with the big boys. we are starting to see this which means those in charge of the show are making our program more appealing than it was before. doing it with facility upgrades and exciting camps for the croots gets us players with better attitudes than by doing it with wild parties, whores and cash. which I think is one of the main reasons the egg bowl trophy has been in vegas 4 out of the last 5 years.

BulldogBear
07-20-2014, 09:56 AM

I imagine he's not made to Colonel yet. Probably just Corporal Rebel.