PDA

View Full Version : So we have two Oline commits?

RC3
07-19-2014, 09:56 AM
How many more and who can we reasonably expect to land? Two kind of makes me nervous

maroonmania
07-19-2014, 10:02 AM
We need 2 more minimum. Wouldn't hurt to get 3 more but with the other guys we are still after at other positions gonna be hard to find the room.

RC3
07-19-2014, 10:03 AM
We need 2 more minimum. Wouldn't hurt to get 3 more but with the other guys we are still after at other positions gonna be hard to find the room.

Exactly what I was thinking. Good problem to have but we have taken commitments from a ton of skill guys

smootness
07-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Yep, I think we have to land at least 2 more to close out, with at least one of them being a HS guy.

We're going to bring in only 3 HS OL from the last class, and they're all guys we went after late - Deion Calhoun, Elgton Jenkins, and Ronald Cochran. Bringing in only 2 for this class after that, to me, would be very bad. We only brought in 3 guys in the 2013 class as well.

I think both Champion and Moon are legitimate T prospects, so that's good. And Jenkins is a T prospect as well. But to me, we desperately need to grab some interior OL help to close out the class.

I just think we need to average something like 4 HS OL in most classes, and we're lagging quite a bit behind that right now. Grab 2 more HS guys in this class and I'll breathe easier.

codeDawg
07-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Yep, I think we have to land at least 2 more to close out, with at least one of them being a HS guy.

We're going to bring in only 3 HS OL from the last class, and they're all guys we went after late - Deion Calhoun, Elgton Jenkins, and Ronald Cochran. Bringing in only 2 for this class after that, to me, would be very bad. We only brought in 3 guys in the 2013 class as well.

I think both Champion and Moon are legitimate T prospects, so that's good. And Jenkins is a T prospect as well. But to me, we desperately need to grab some interior OL help to close out the class.

I just think we need to average something like 4 HS OL in most classes, and we're lagging quite a bit behind that right now. Grab 2 more HS guys in this class and I'll breathe easier.

Croom's failure to sign the big boys in his last couple of years was a HUGE issue for us when Mullen took over. That's a position that just doesn't fill well from JUCO.

Todd4State
07-19-2014, 01:24 PM
O-linemen take longer to develop typically. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we sign a couple of guys that we don't know about right now just so we can see who emerges. At this time last year, no one was talking about Elgston Jenkins, James Cochran, and I think people were just starting to hear about Sean Rawlings.

SDDawg
07-19-2014, 01:37 PM
It's July 19th. We'll sign 3 more and have a line on 5 solid targets. The key is that we need a JUCO transfer ready to go for next year if at all possible and the math isn't great there. Still plenty of time though.

smootness
07-19-2014, 01:48 PM
It's July 19th. We'll sign 3 more and have a line on 5 solid targets. The key is that we need a JUCO transfer ready to go for next year if at all possible and the math isn't great there. Still plenty of time though.

There's plenty of time, but there are not plenty of spots unless we start dropping guys. All the early talk was about what a priority we were making the OL, yet here we sit with 2 commits in a class that isn't far from being full.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I expect us to sign a couple more, but I felt like we needed a ton of OL in this class, yet we're filling up on RBs and slots. I still trust the staff, it's just interesting and fairly unexpected.

SDDawg
07-19-2014, 01:52 PM
smootness- completely agree and I think we're basically done at this point, we'll hold a couple of spots for folks that are must take (Leo) and then it's all OL from here on out. I don't see another way for the numbers to work. But I think that's a good problem to have, we have 6 months to figure it out and can focus solely on those guys. I would pitch a tent in Patterson's yard to start and find a GA to be Danley's personal butler/valet for the next 6 months.

msstate7
07-19-2014, 01:53 PM
There's plenty of time, but there are not plenty of spots unless we start dropping guys. All the early talk was about what a priority we were making the OL, yet here we sit with 2 commits in a class that isn't far from being full.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I expect us to sign a couple more, but I felt like we needed a ton of OL in this class, yet we're filling up on RBs and slots. I still trust the staff, it's just interesting and fairly unexpected.

Perhaps the staff feels much better about where we stand with our current o'linemen than our fans do.

smootness
07-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Perhaps the staff feels much better about where we stand with our current o'linemen than our fans do.

Even if that's the case, you have to have the numbers. You can't consistently sign 5-6 HS OL over a 2-year span and be ok, regardless of how they end up developing.

msstate7
07-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Even if that's the case, you have to have the numbers. You can't consistently sign 5-6 HS OL over a 2-year span and be ok, regardless of how they end up developing.
Maybe we like the juco approach to fill needs as needed.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Coach say "all is well" with OL recruitimg. Nothing to see here.***

I agree with you Smoot. We need to have at least 5 OL recruits this class.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-19-2014, 02:40 PM
We will take 2 or 3 more OL. We're waiting on 2 big time guys to decide in August (Darryl Williams & Jamal Danley). If you can lock up those 2 then you wait out Rankin who won't decide til November or December. Once he decides you're either done or adjust & go to next in line. We also have several OL who if we pushed we could get. Trey Derouen, Donovan Welch, Lowell Furlow, Kenny Thomas, Darion Debrossard, etc. The OL has been a sore spot but we're in a position to wait on the big names & then adjust accordingly.

msstate7
07-19-2014, 02:48 PM
We will take 2 or 3 more OL. We're waiting on 2 big time guys to decide in August (Darryl Williams & Jamal Danley). If you can lock up those 2 then you wait out Rankin who won't decide til November or December. Once he decides you're either done or adjust & go to next in line. We also have several OL who if we pushed we could get. Trey Derouen, Donovan Welch, Lowell Furlow, Kenny Thomas, Darion Debrossard, etc. The OL has been a sore spot but we're in a position to wait on the big names & then adjust accordingly.

Are we a likely possibility for Williams or is this a longshot at best?

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Looks like there is an OL named wommack from MS that has a few offers. Are we after him?

Bothrops
07-19-2014, 02:53 PM
We also need some true DT's in this class. We take a big hit there after the season, losing like 4 players.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-19-2014, 02:59 PM
With Williams it's looking like he may be ours to lose. He really likes Auburn but he's not a take right now for them. We could be the beneficiary there. Womack is OM bound. DT wise we only lost 1 last year (Quay) & signed 2. This year we'll lose 3 & will prolly sign 2. Kendell Jones will slide inside & you get Adams the #'s are ok.

thedawg
07-19-2014, 03:15 PM
The good news about where we are with OL recruiting is that both the commits are Tackle prospects. Tackles are usually hard to find because they are longer and more athletic so therefore in higher demand. You really can find Deion Calhouns and Kent Flowers and Tobias Smiths every year late. Quality interior guys are just more abundant. Not to mention the tackles that show up and prove to be not athletic enough for the edge can bump inside and be fine.

dickiedawg
07-19-2014, 03:28 PM
There was a thread on Womack this week that said David Johnson said we're out of the picture. Take that fwiw.

Coach34
07-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Coach say "all is well" with OL recruitimg. Nothing to see here.***

I agree with you Smoot. We need to have at least 5 OL recruits this class.

OL recruiting is the hardest thing to judge and we are talking 17 year olds that are still developing. There will be tons of OL guys to emerge during their Sr year.

Nothing to worry about right now

Todd4State
07-19-2014, 05:00 PM

We have 25 commits right now unless my math is off and two of those are o-linemen. As you know, we are going to sign 30+. I know Paul has been saying 31 I think. Me personally- I think it could be as high as 34. So, we're talking roughly 5 on the low end to 9 on the high end spots for three guys. We have space.

Noxdog
07-19-2014, 05:11 PM
We have 25 commits right now unless my math is off and two of those are o-linemen. As you know, we are going to sign 30+. I know Paul has been saying 31 I think. Me personally- I think it could be as high as 34. So, we're talking roughly 5 on the low end to 9 on the high end spots for three guys. We have space.

What PJ just wrote, then the # will be either 30 or 31. Cochran made it this summer. It's 30 or 31. Gray shirts? That's a whole nother question.

smootness
07-19-2014, 05:19 PM

We have space now, but we obviously want Adams, Campbell, and Lewis at least who are not OL. I'm just saying that spots are getting tight and that we might have to drop 1 or 2, not necessarily that the staff won't get it done.

Todd4State
07-19-2014, 05:23 PM
What PJ just wrote, then the # will be either 30 or 31. Cochran made it this summer. It's 30 or 31. Gray shirts? That's a whole nother question.

Yes, there are always going to be a couple of sign and place type guys but as far NSD in February I think we'll see probably a little bit higher than that.

Todd4State
07-19-2014, 05:27 PM
We have space now, but we obviously want Adams, Campbell, and Lewis at least who are not OL. I'm just saying that spots are getting tight and that we might have to drop 1 or 2, not necessarily that the staff won't get it done.

Correct and then there is McLaurin as well who I would imagine that we would take as well. So, if we got all of those guys, it would bring us up to 29 assuming things stay as they are. We sign 3-4 o-linemen then we are up to 32-33. Which is kind of where my thinking is as far as my number. I suspect Paul is probably talking in terms of how many would actually get in school, which probably is 30-31.

Noxdog
07-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Yes, there are always going to be a couple of sign and place type guys but as far NSD in February I think we'll see probably a little bit higher than that.

Always works itself out. I'm not worried about it honestly. Although, so far I don't see any real drop candidates. Certainly a few sign and place.

smootness
07-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Correct and then there is McLaurin as well who I would imagine that we would take as well. So, if we got all of those guys, it would bring us up to 29 assuming things stay as they are. We sign 3-4 o-linemen then we are up to 32-33. Which is kind of where my thinking is as far as my number. I suspect Paul is probably talking in terms of how many would actually get in school, which probably is 30-31.

But the only way we could get 30-31 in would be if we had 5 or 6 JUCOs. My guess is that he's saying 30-31 total with 2-3 sign-and-place included in that number.

Todd4State
07-19-2014, 06:25 PM
But the only way we could get 30-31 in would be if we had 5 or 6 JUCOs. My guess is that he's saying 30-31 total with 2-3 sign-and-place included in that number.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe we have some Dec. enrollees like Malik Dear that will count back to our last class. I'll have to look back and see what the numbers were for last year, but I believe we undersigned.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-19-2014, 06:26 PM
HS guys count back if they're mid year guys too. So we can sign back 5 right now. Could go as high as 7 depending on what happens with Cooper & Pierce.

smootness
07-19-2014, 09:43 PM
HS guys count back if they're mid year guys too. So we can sign back 5 right now. Could go as high as 7 depending on what happens with Cooper & Pierce.

I'm almost positive this isn't true, unless it changed recently. When they initially instituted the 25-signing limit, you could only count mid-year JUCOs back.

engie
07-19-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm almost positive this isn't true, unless it changed recently. When they initially instituted the 25-signing limit, you could only count mid-year JUCOs back.

That's incorrect. You have always been able to count all mid-year enrollees back, highschoolers included. That's one reason the really elite programs sign a bunch of EEs every year.

Why would they differentiate this from HS/JUCO? For all intents and purposes, they are the same in this case. The recruiting calendar just actually runs from Jan 1-Dec31. EEs can sign Financial Aid Agreements(not LOIs for EEs) starting Dec 18, both HS and JUCO. Ones that can count back sign on Dec 18. Ones that can't sign Jan 1. I'm sure there's not an exact way it works(FAA's are crazy anyway) -- but that's the gist of it.