PDA

View Full Version : From what I can tell on 24/7

MetEdDawg
07-18-2014, 11:00 PM
We currently have the most commits in all of college football for the 2015 class at 25. Next closest is SC with 22. We are currently ranked 9th on 24/7. I mean that pretty much speaks for itself right there. Fundamental transformation in the way we do recruiting now and boy is it paying off.

Intramural All-American
07-18-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm very excited in the haul we just brought in, but that also means that as teams get more commits and catch up in number, we will most likely be passed. Getting Adams and Lewis will be big for our ranking, but I'm also one who does not view recruiting rankings as the end all be all either. No matter what are ranking finishes, we have some very solid players. I just hope we can score some more OL.

maroonmania
07-18-2014, 11:28 PM
At this point, if we can add Lewis and Adams and find a few high quality OL willing to commit to us (that still seems to be a struggle) to add to what we already have then I don't know how you can be anything other than delighted over this class no matter what ranking we end up with.

missouridawg
07-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Sounds like we made up some good ground on Javon Patterson and Darren Payne tonight too.... Both very highly touted guys who we need on both sides of the ball.

DudyDawg
07-18-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm very excited in the haul we just brought in, but that also means that as teams get more commits and catch up in number, we will most likely be passed. Getting Adams and Lewis will be big for our ranking, but I'm also one who does not view recruiting rankings as the end all be all either. No matter what are ranking finishes, we have some very solid players. I just hope we can score some more OL.

Completely agree. IMO if we are under 30th I'm happy. If we are much higher than that, we made some mistakes. Around there, we had a good class, and with our recent history of development I feel like it's a solid class. Rankings don't mean much to me once we get past a certain point. Obviously number one in the country would be nice and all, but that's not really my concern either

SDDawg
07-19-2014, 12:00 AM
With the guys we have in the boat now, both in the overall quality in addition to quantity, this class is a lock to be a top 20 class, quite possibly top 15. It's also made up of the RIGHT type of players for MSU, not a bunch of bought and paid for prima donnas that will give us headaches for years. Couldn't be happier with the progress we're making, just need to keep driving, get it done on the field and close out next February.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 12:02 AM
What's awesome is that we have Highschool players raving about a football camp. No bars, booze, women, or cash...a football camp. Think about that.

Intramural All-American
07-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Sounds like we made up some good ground on Javon Patterson and Darren Payne tonight too.... Both very highly touted guys who we need on both sides of the ball.

If we could somehow pull Patterson, I would be ecstatic.

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 12:22 AM
If we could somehow pull Patterson, I would be ecstatic.

Lewis, Adams and Patterson would make this the best class in the history of our program

BeardoMSU
07-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Lewis, Adams and Patterson would make this the best class in the history of our program
Word.
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Bully13
07-19-2014, 12:30 AM
as much bitching as I do regarding OL recruiting, one thing that can't be denied is that Mullen sure as hell knows how to recruit attitude.

smootness
07-19-2014, 08:05 AM

Even without Patterson, it would definitely be the best in our history. Adding Patterson would make it a top 6 or so class in the country.

ShotgunDawg
07-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Many of our current commits will be upgraded to 4 star or high 3s. Mississippi evaluation lags.

Jacksondevildog
07-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Patterson will be a tough pull. We need to focus more on landing Danley from EMCC. We are now even with Oklahoma after Big Dawg Camp. Some even feel that we are the leader.

msstate7
07-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Patterson will be a tough pull. We need to focus more on landing Danley from EMCC. We are now even with Oklahoma after Big Dawg Camp. Some even feel that we are the leader.

I agree. How do we stand with rankin?

Political Hack
07-19-2014, 08:45 AM
recruiting rankings are for people who are unable to watch and understand highlight film for themselves.

PassInterference
07-19-2014, 08:53 AM
What's awesome is that we have Highschool players raving about a football camp. No bars, booze, women, or cash...a football camp. Think about that.

Great point. I'm not sure I've ever heard croots talk about a football camp at OM. I don't know if I've heard a OM fan talk about a camp at OM. Over there it's all about the party.

GreenheadDawg
07-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Does camp last all weekend?

CadaverDawg
07-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Great point. I'm not sure I've ever heard croots talk about a football camp at OM. I don't know if I've heard a OM fan talk about a camp at OM. Over there it's all about the party.

Yep. If any of you looked at twitter last night, it was constant chatter from the players at the camp talking about how Big Dawg Camp is the greatest camp in the country. One player said something like, "I've been to Alabama camp and several others, and MSU has the best camp out there hands down".

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-19-2014, 09:53 AM

No. You guys clearly werent around the jackie years.

smootness
07-19-2014, 09:55 AM
No

You're telling me we've had a better class than one with Lewis, Peters, Adams, Patterson, Dear, and Washington with guys like Kendell Jones, Maurice Smitherman, and Chris Stamps at or near the bottom? That would be absurd for us. We would essentially sweep the state in one of its best years ever.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Youre telling me you dont remember jackie signing top 10 classes with multiple all americans every year?

smootness
07-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Youre telling me you dont remember jackie signing top 10 classes with multiple all americans every year?

Uh, yeah, he did not do that.

We definitely had some serious talent at the top of some of those classes, and a couple of them were top-15, but I'm almost positive he never landed a top-10 class, and most of them were pretty weak at the bottom.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Uh, yeah, he did.

Weak at the bottom? How do you know this one isnt? The fact is, at this point, we can only go off rankings. Based on that, it isnt our best. We dont even have an all american commit, much less several.

It COULD be our best class ever.
It COULD be the best class in college football history.

As far as rankings, it isnt though.

woozman
07-19-2014, 10:44 AM

You mean with guys like the 5* LB from TX who sucked, all the AZ JUCO guys, Dontae Walker, Nick Turner, etc.? Look where those classes got us...

smootness
07-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Uh, yeah, he did.

Weak at the bottom? How do you know this one isnt? The fact is, at this point, we can only go off rankings. Based on that, it isnt our best. We dont even have an all american commit, much less several.

It COULD be our best class ever.
It COULD be the best class in college football history.

As far as rankings, it isnt though.

Sherrill did not even come close to signing a top-10 class every year. In terms of rankings, arguably his two best classes were the 02 and 03 classes. I went back and looked at rivals and scout, who were the primary two sites then. In 02, both had our class ranked 17th. In 03, rivals had us 9 but scout had us 20.

Sherrill recruited very well considering what he inherited, but he built his success on guys who weren't ranked as high. His best classes, in terms of rankings, were the biggest busts. But State fans seem to overrate how well they were ranked looking back. We'd generally have a couple of 5-star guys but a good chunk of the classes were 2- or 3-star guys. That's my point.

If Mullen landed all those guys, this would easily be a top-10 class and would almost certainly be our best ever in terms of rankings.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-19-2014, 11:00 AM
You mean with guys like the 5* LB from TX who sucked, all the AZ JUCO guys, Dontae Walker, Nick Turner, etc.? Look where those classes got us...

Exactly. recruiting rankings. These guys havent played so we dont know if they are good. Peters could be an all american or quit the first day. That is the point.

Jackie had some badass classes in the late 90s. If yall remember scuttlebutt, they were top 10ish. He had highly ranked classes in the early 2000s too. Whether they turned out worth a shit doesnt matter. We are talking about rankings.

In the end, it really doesnt matter until 3 years later.

MarketingBully01
07-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Not necessarily, some of our guys committed will get a star bump in the fall. If we sign the guys we have committed right now, this will be a top 15 class. If we can add Lewis, Danley and a couple of our other top targets, this will be top 10.

MarketingBully01
07-19-2014, 11:08 AM
I think some State fans just feel the need to argue about anything....

dickiedawg
07-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Yeah, we don't know where the 2015 class will get us either. We were on top of the world headed into 2001.

Dawgface
07-19-2014, 12:05 PM
recruiting rankings are for people who are unable to watch and understand highlight film for themselves.
Or for the ones like me who do not have the desire to follow recruiting as close as most on here. Looking at a number gives me a general idea how well we are doing as compared to others.

1bigdawg
07-19-2014, 12:14 PM
I agree. How do we stand with Rankin?

I believe we get Rankin if we make a push. He is from Mendenhall and there is a gold plated scholarship to Ole Miss for any Mendenhall High graduate with an 18 or above ACT. To my knowledge, there are zero students at Ole Miss. It is just not their kind of town.

Political Hack
07-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Or for the ones like me who do not have the desire to follow recruiting as close as most on here. Looking at a number gives me a general idea how well we are doing as compared to others.

I get that... like I said though, it's for those who can't evaluate film on their own, or in your case those who don't feel like spending the time to do it. I rarely do it anymore, but I'll go spend 3 minutes to watch a kids tape before I spend any time looking at stars or counting another teams stars. I just get more out of it and still don't spend much time on it.

engie
07-19-2014, 12:55 PM
This isn't going to be a top 10 class on paper, Smootness. Not unless we pull multiple totally unexpected rabbits out of our hats in the nature of Daron Payne AND Javon Patterson. Doesn't mean it's not an awesome class -- with a lot of guys that are still very underrated.

Lewis and Adams will put us in the #17 to #20 range, based on final point totals of the past 4 years. With our numbers, no one that isn't a mid-level 4* moves the needle appreciably on that. Adding Danley, Bates, Campbell, etc doesn't likely even jump us a spot at their current ratings...

msstate7
07-19-2014, 01:24 PM
This isn't going to be a top 10 class on paper, Smootness. Not unless we pull multiple totally unexpected rabbits out of our hats in the nature of Daron Payne AND Javon Patterson. Doesn't mean it's not an awesome class -- with a lot of guys that are still very underrated.

Lewis and Adams will put us in the #17 to #20 range, based on final point totals of the past 4 years. With our numbers, no one that isn't a mid-level 4* moves the needle appreciably on that. Adding Danley, Bates, Campbell, etc doesn't likely even jump us a spot at their current ratings...

Let's just add Danley, bates, Campbell, Lewis, and rankin. I'll be happy wherever we end up if we gets these guys

engie
07-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Let's just add Danley, bates, Campbell, Lewis, and rankin. I'll be happy wherever we end up if we gets these guys

I agree totally... Plus Adams.

msstate7
07-19-2014, 01:40 PM
I agree totally... Plus Adams.

Esp Adams...can't believe I left em out

PMDawg
07-19-2014, 01:47 PM

This is true if everyone stays rated where they currently are. Don't forget these guys haven't even played their senior seasons yet. I know rankings don't change as much as they used to, but folks are going to move up or down some during the season. Some of the 3 stars could show out and shoot up the rankings pretty good. All I'm saying is we really have no idea where we will end up, but it should be top 20 for sure.

I seen it dawg
07-19-2014, 03:53 PM
If we are getting the players we want I don't give a shit what number is stuck to them. We develop talent.

Coach34
07-19-2014, 03:57 PM
If we are getting the players we want I don't give a shit what number is stuck to them. We develop talent.

The Denver Airport Director is dead on.

We are getting the top guys we have identified on our board. And with the way we develop players- it will be a great group. This is why our rivals are freaking out. They know our staff develops talent and if we are getting more talented players- they know their job just got harder.

RougeDawg
07-19-2014, 04:28 PM
The Denver Airport Director is dead on.

We are getting the top guys we have identified on our board. And with the way we develop players- it will be a great group. This is why our rivals are freaking out. They know our staff develops talent and if we are getting more talented players- they know their job just got harder.

What exactly are the Bama fans saying about our Class?**