PDA

View Full Version : This is what we've been waiting for

MetEdDawg
07-18-2014, 10:06 PM
This is the kind of day we've been waiting for at MSU. A clear effort to make today a special day and find a way to stand out and make a statement. I guarantee some of these kids wanted to commit earlier than today. But what did we do? We blew shit up. We had them wait and then we let it play out. 7 2015 commits in one day and all of them are big time guys. We also got a decommit from Leo Lewis, we got a 2016 commit, and we really made a statement that we are doing the things necessary to take the next step.

Congratulations to all involved tonight. Couldn't have gone any better and we did EXACTLY what we needed to do. We rode our momentum and took advantage of the situation. Nice job by all involved and I can see this being a big time thing every year going forward.

Coach34
07-18-2014, 10:13 PM
yep...alot of things I have complained about and chastized people over is improving. Glad to see the Bulldog family doing their job

MetEdDawg
07-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Agreed. This is the one big complaint I've had. We've not been setting ourselves up for the publicity in recruiting like other schools. But we made this a big time deal tonight and it's really got people looking at us. Today was a game changer for us and the view of our program. We've got 25 commits in July. Now obviously that will change between now and February, but you can clearly see the difference between our recruiting now and our recruiting 3 years ago.

Todd4State
07-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Dan may make mistakes. But he's not stupid. Right or wrong, recruiting can cause a perception, and I think Dan has seen that and he has done things to acknowledge that.

thunderclap
07-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Now go win 10

CadaverDawg
07-18-2014, 10:24 PM
This is the kind of day we've been waiting for at MSU. A clear effort to make today a special day and find a way to stand out and make a statement. I guarantee some of these kids wanted to commit earlier than today. But what did we do? We blew shit up. We had them wait and then we let it play out. 7 2015 commits in one day and all of them are big time guys. We also got a decommit from Leo Lewis, we got a 2016 commit, and we really made a statement that we are doing the things necessary to take the next step.

Congratulations to all involved tonight. Couldn't have gone any better and we did EXACTLY what we needed to do. We rode our momentum and took advantage of the situation. Nice job by all involved and I can see this being a big time thing every year going forward.

Excellent post, MetEd...Agree with everything you said. Great night

RC3
07-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Big step in the process of actually being a contender. Consistent top 20 recruiting with this coaching staff could yield some amazing results

SDDawg
07-18-2014, 11:47 PM
We're ranked ahead FSU tonight in the 247 team rankings, and they just won a Natty. I'm not confused, it's a long recruiting season and FSU will get their guys. But think about how far Mullen and this group has come. We were FIGHTING HARD for guys that wanted to commit to UAB, Southern and similar schools on 7 or 8 years ago. Today, we landed 8 commits and most of them are ELITE players, with a couple of potential 5 star players in that group as rankings get bumped this year. I can't think of an off-season day in a LONG time that has made me this proud to be a Bulldog. Awesome day!

QuadrupleOption
07-18-2014, 11:50 PM

One thing that defines Mullen is his ultra-competitive nature. He wasn't going to let Freeze keep that spotlight forever.

sbcmortgageman
07-19-2014, 05:56 AM
Dan got pissed off. Sometimes that's all it takes to see greatness.

dickiedawg
07-19-2014, 06:36 AM
One other thing to remember, and I don't say this to "rain on the parade" because all the recruits we landed today are big time gets, but as far as team rankings go we are and will be helped out by sheer numbers. That's something that hurt us last year rankings wise and now the script has flipped.
We are raking in some too-notch stud guys, though, and could potentially land some more that would really move the needle.

MetEdDawg
07-19-2014, 07:19 AM
I think honestly this class is underrated. Farrod Green in the composite rankings is a .8026. That's horse crap. He's better than that and it will show this year. Others that I think will get decent bumps in the 24/7 composite rankings:

Johnathan Calvin: .8381
Keith Mixon: .8456
Jonnas Spivey: .8489
Justin Johnson: .8494
Jarvis Wilson: .8514
Chris Stamps: .8594
Kendall Jones: .8595 ( I think he gets a 4th composite star before this is over)
Cameron Myers: .8604
Dontae Jones: .8730 ( I think he gets a 4th composite star before this is over)
Maurice Smitherman: .8857 ( I think he gets a 4th composite star before this is over)

All of these guys should get at minimum a 2 point bump in their composite star rating between now and February. We've got talent, but a lot of it hasn't been accurately evaluated by other sites. Some of these guys have composite scores 2-4 points below their 24/7 rating. There will be a lot of arrows pointing up on composite scores with these guys once the season gets underway.

smootness
07-19-2014, 07:44 AM
MetEd, you're definitely right. Here's a quote from Murphy:

"I called (head) Coach (Can) Mullen (to tell him I wanted to commit) and he said he was happy about me being part of the family," said Murphy. "We talked about what day and we both settled on this day (Big Dawg Camp). One big thing about doing it today was because we were going to have a lot of other top recruits here. If I committed, I wanted it to have a ripple effect and have other recruits possibly commit. And we got a lot of commits today."

Raytoraid83
07-19-2014, 09:19 AM
I have always been a big believer in Mullen and our staffs evaluation and trusting them to develop lower ranked players into the next Bmac or Jbanks but being on this side of recruiting is more fun. Let's see what happens to Peters, Gibson, and Leo when they are on the same development track as our 3* athlete from tunica and 2* cb from maben. Gonna be fun to watch...