PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about the QB situation?

capofirstfret
07-18-2014, 04:31 PM
I apologize if this has been covered but I'm just curious.

Right now, for 2014, we're on board with:

Dak Prescott
Damian Williams
Nick Fitzgerald
Elijah Staley

We've already received verbals from:

Nick Tiano
Chason Virgil

Add to that Jonnas Spivey heading to BDC and who is favored to pick the Bulldogs...come 2015 (barring draft entry, injury, transfers, etc) we have the potential for 7 scholarship quarterbacks on the roster. That seems like a lot of QB. Who goes, who stays?

dawgs
07-18-2014, 04:34 PM
We'll see if staley or Fitzgerald feels too buried if one is clearly outpacing the other. And Virgil/tiano aren't signed yet, shit can happen before February.

capofirstfret
07-18-2014, 04:36 PM
We'll see if staley or Fitzgerald feels too buried if one is clearly outpacing the other. And Virgil/tiano aren't signed yet, shit can happen before February.

It's true. I definitely think one of them jumps ship, especially if Spivey signs. I can't imagine a QB feeling very confident with just 1 other QB in the signing class, let alone two others.

CadaverDawg
07-18-2014, 04:40 PM
It's true. I definitely think one of them jumps ship, especially if Spivey signs. I can't imagine a QB feeling very confident with just 1 other QB in the signing class, let alone two others.

Why are we talking about having players leave? It's a big weekend, let's worry about the QB depth chart once it is crowded with kids with signed LOI's. Just my opinion.

capofirstfret
07-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Why are we talking about having players leave? It's a big weekend, let's worry about the QB depth chart once it is crowded with kids with signed LOI's. Just my opinion.

It's just something that's bounced around my mind for a while. Thought I'd get an opinion besides my own on the subject. It is a big weekend, one of my favorite all year.

Political Hack
07-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Fitz or Staley will start by 2016 as a Jr or RSo. The kids in this class will be slated to take the reigns as Jrs. That's how it should usually work out unless someone is a complete stud. Think about how good Dak is and it's his Jr season before he took the reigns and he's truly 100% ready now and everyone knows it. The QB situation is finally working the way it should. The kids coming in will be educated on what it takes to succeed very quickly, learn from the best, and take over as upperclassmen.

Of course they could do it like OM and just promise kids starting spots or #2 on the depth chart as a freshman only to go grab a transfer or Juco kid the following season. Look at what they did to Buchanan. He had an offer from Florida and now he's #4 in terms of getting reps behind two other 1st year QBs.

CadaverDawg
07-18-2014, 04:43 PM
It's just something that's bounced around my mind for a while. Thought I'd get an opinion besides my own on the subject. It is a big weekend, one of my favorite all year.

I mean, I understand that it's relevant...i just don't like the idea of announcing we have a ton of great QB depth on a big recruiting weekend. Because I wouldn't be surprised if these players will be looking at who's talking about them later tonight online. But whatever.

TexasDawg
07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Spivey will be playing either WR or Safety at the next level so that is of no concern.

CadaverDawg
07-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Fitz or Staley will start by 2016 as a Jr or RSo. The kids in this class will be slated to take the reigns as Jrs. That's how it should usually work out unless someone is a complete stud. Think about how good Dak is and it's his Jr season before he took the reigns and he's truly 100% ready now and everyone knows it. The QB situation is finally working the way it should. The kids coming in will be educated on what it takes to succeed very quickly, learn from the best, and take over as upperclassmen.

Of course they could do it like OM and just promise kids starting spots or #2 on the depth chart as a freshman only to go grab a transfer or Juco kid the following season. Look at what they did to Buchanan. He had an offer from Florida and now he's #4 in terms of getting reps behind two other 1st year QBs.

Excellent points. It does feel like we finally have the QB situation setup the right way to succeed for several years straight.

capofirstfret
07-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Spivey will be playing either WR or Safety at the next level so that is of no concern.

I had not hear this but watching his film I can absolutely see it. His athleticism is without question.

capofirstfret
07-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Excellent points. It does feel like we finally have the QB situation setup the right way to succeed for several years straight.

I remember hearing Matt Wyatt on H2H a few weeks back talking about the Mississippi State QB depth and how he thinks it's easily the deepest in quality that he's ever seen it and I can't say that I disagree in any way. I've been watching highlight reels of every quarterback we've offered and I think we've got some fantastic guys incoming. Perhaps the thing I'm most excited about is the fact that these guys in this class as well as Staley and Fitzgerald will have a role model like Dak Prescott to learn from not only in the way he carries himself on the field, but off.

thunderclap
07-18-2014, 04:54 PM
Mike Henig
Tray Rutland
Ty Evans

By the way, we are in such good shape I'm not going to recruit a quarterback in this year's class.

Remember those days?

DragonDawgZ
07-18-2014, 04:56 PM
I was surprised we took 2 Qbs in this class. I thought we would be done with Virgil. But Tiano is a QB Mullen loves. Big, strong, can run well and is a downhill power runner. Wouldn't be surprised to see some packages for him in a few years behind fitz or staley. Or whoever is the #1. Might be way off but my two cents.

But this is a good problem to have.

starkvegasdawg
07-18-2014, 05:00 PM
How far we've come. Five years ago if somebody told me MSU may have so many talented qb's on the roster some may end up transferring I would have laughed till I ruptured my spleen.

EAVdog
07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
I mean, I understand that it's relevant...i just don't like the idea of announcing we have a ton of great QB depth on a big recruiting weekend. Because I wouldn't be surprised if these players will be looking at who's talking about them later tonight online. But whatever.

Yeah how about we start a huge 'what if Mullen leaves' thread. Just in time for Dig Dawg Camp....

Todd4State
07-18-2014, 05:13 PM

Home run post.

Sadly for Buchanan I think if things were neutral with his family, I think he probably would have come to MSU. He was pretty much born into Ole Miss.

I seen it dawg
07-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Take me all and let em fight it out. Can't have enough great athletes.

SDDawg
07-18-2014, 06:19 PM
I still have a feeling that either Staley or Fitzgerald will end up switching positions. They're too good of athletes to sit behind one another and not play at some point. It will be interesting to see if we redshirt both or give one of them a little bit of experience this year. I agree with Hack though, this is the way it should look. We should have 4 - 6 guys at all times in the pipeline (3 on the roster and 2 - 3 pending) that we know can start in the SEC. Because at some point, you need every one of those guys to produce to be a consistent winner (especially with a QB running game).