PDA

View Full Version : MSU should leave the SEC before our principles are compromised

codeDawg
07-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Thinking over everyone's objections to giving players the right to negotiate the conditions under which they play, I've decided the only answer is for MSU to leave the SEC for a non-big 5 conference or division II.

With Mike Slive pushing for division IV so that the big 5 conferences can set their own rules around player benefits, I don't believe that MSU will be able to survive in the SEC when so many fans quit supporting football. I understand our fans' perspective that the purity of the game will be lost when these kids get handouts big enough to cover all of their expenses. We should not discount the value of an MSU education simply because the sport is popular enough to generate millions of dollars. There are principals at stake here.

Moving out of the SEC will allow MSU the independence to run a football program with dignity. The athletes that wear the maroon and white will be kids who only really want to be at MSU. These will be kids who don't mind working 40 hours a week on top of their school schedule because they value their education and play football for the love of the game. These will be kids who entertain thousands of adoring fans each week because the opportunity to do so is more valuable than money. Fans can watch football with the satisfaction of knowing that these kids are not making any more money than they did when they attended MSU.

Making this move now relieves MSU of many burdens. We will not have to invest time or effort in developing a negotiation framework, which many feel is just too complicated and hard to do anyway. Boosters will get to keep more of their hard earned dollars. Sidewalk fans will no longer be a problem. Ticket prices will not increase, and may even decrease, but I think the most important thing will be that the game will stay the same for fans.

In summary, I believe leaving the SEC is in the best interest of MSU fans. With division IV looming for the SEC, private school players being allowed to unionize, and rulings forthcoming in the O'Bannon lawsuit, change is coming to the collage game. I think MSU should protect what is most important to MSU and MSU fans, the purity of the student athlete and the game of college football.

FISHDAWG
07-18-2014, 11:05 AM
you forgot the ** didn't you ?

codeDawg
07-18-2014, 11:41 AM
you forgot the ** didn't you ?

Nope. I just don't see any other way. If the O'Bannon case is ruled in O'Bannons favor, some of these kids could be making as much money as I did after I graduated. Do you think that is fair to me? Do you want to watch football in a system that supports that kind of thing?

War Machine Dawg
07-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Thinking over everyone's objections to giving players the right to negotiate the conditions under which they play, I've decided the only answer is for MSU to leave the SEC for a non-big 5 conference or division II.

With Mike Slive pushing for division IV so that the big 5 conferences can set their own rules around player benefits, I don't believe that MSU will be able to survive in the SEC when so many fans quit supporting football. I understand our fans' perspective that the purity of the game will be lost when these kids get handouts big enough to cover all of their expenses. We should not discount the value of an MSU education simply because the sport is popular enough to generate millions of dollars. There are principals at stake here.

Moving out of the SEC will allow MSU the independence to run a football program with dignity. The athletes that wear the maroon and white will be kids who only really want to be at MSU. These will be kids who don't mind working 40 hours a week on top of their school schedule because they value their education and play football for the love of the game. These will be kids who entertain thousands of adoring fans each week because the opportunity to do so is more valuable than money. Fans can watch football with the satisfaction of knowing that these kids are not making any more money than they did when they attended MSU.

Making this move now relieves MSU of many burdens. We will not have to invest time or effort in developing a negotiation framework, which many feel is just too complicated and hard to do anyway. Boosters will get to keep more of their hard earned dollars. Sidewalk fans will no longer be a problem. Ticket prices will not increase, and may even decrease, but I think the most important thing will be that the game will stay the same for fans.

In summary, I believe leaving the SEC is in the best interest of MSU fans. With division IV looming for the SEC, private school players being allowed to unionize, and rulings forthcoming in the O'Bannon lawsuit, change is coming to the collage game. I think MSU should protect what is most important to MSU and MSU fans, the purity of the student athlete and the game of college football.

http://i.imgur.com/uELm4Gv.gif

http://i.imgur.com/23LdRLe.gif

codeDawg
07-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Do you have a reason why you think this is dumb or do you just like to post silly gifs?

ScoobaDawg
07-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Do you have a reason why you think this is dumb or do you just like to post silly gifs?

I'm tempted to lock it because this is the stupidest thing someone has ever wrote on here. But the fact noone is responding to it says how stupid people think it is.

Homedawg
07-18-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm tempted to lock it because this is the stupidest thing someone has ever wrote on here. But the fact noone is responding to it says how stupid people think it is.

+1

engie
07-18-2014, 01:51 PM
ED remembers?

Political Hack
07-18-2014, 01:53 PM
people who say we shouldn't pay players and continue to view major college football as an amateur sport are essentially advocating the same thing... they're just not clued in enough to realize it.

32 Dive
07-18-2014, 01:58 PM
"I think MSU should protect what is most important to MSU and MSU fans, the purity of the student athlete and the game of college football."

Who else, besides party of one, thinks THAT is most important to MSU and its fans? If you want purity, buy yourself one of these (http://www.amazon.com/CB6000s-Clear-Male-Chastity-Belt/dp/B008WTX82S), and a sweatshirt for your favorite D-III school. Scholarships were once seen as an extra benefit, back in the dark ages.

dawgs
07-18-2014, 02:03 PM

I think you are missing the sarcasm. Go read the thread about paying players and how several posters said they'd stop supporting msu and college sports if players get paid more than scholarships.

mstatefan91
07-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I think this has to be one of the worst posts I've ever had the displeasure of reading as an ED poster. Please lock this

Coach34
07-18-2014, 02:09 PM
The OP is being a smartass guys

codeDawg
07-18-2014, 02:18 PM
people who say we shouldn't pay players and continue to view major college football as an amateur sport are essentially advocating the same thing... they're just not clued in enough to realize it.

I think this went over some heads. The point is that the college football world is moving forward including the SEC. People ask why not create a semi-pro league. We are just about to do that in college football if Division IV gets created.

Amateur football in the big 5 conferences is over. There is too much money involved. If you like your football players poor and studious, Division II is full of student athletes that would love your support.

Political Hack
07-18-2014, 02:39 PM
I think this went over some heads. The point is that the college football world is moving forward including the SEC. People ask why not create a semi-pro league. We are just about to do that in college football if Division IV gets created.

Amateur football in the big 5 conferences is over. There is too much money involved. If you like your football players poor and studious, Division II is full of student athletes that would love your support.

agree. I don't think most people caught that you were making light of anyone who's not recognizing the trend.

State82
07-18-2014, 03:01 PM

You caught some folks napping on that one. Kinda funny though.

War Machine Dawg
07-18-2014, 03:17 PM

You got me. Well played, Code.

http://i.imgur.com/k7iIOPw.gif

SDDawg
07-18-2014, 03:41 PM
I didn't think SEC football players were "poor and studious" 30 years ago, much less today. This ship has sailed, and it was long before "Division IV". Vote with your feet and your wallets, folks. This thread is unnecessary.

FISHDAWG
07-18-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the satire ... swear I don't see it but maybe I was blinded by leaving the SEC thing

LiterallyPolice
07-18-2014, 04:15 PM
For what it's worth... I think it's a brilliant post codeDawg. It's sad that some people need *******'s to recognize good sarcasm.