PDA

View Full Version : Malik newman why do you give me hope? (Link inside)

Rayburn8
07-17-2014, 05:46 PM
In an interview for a Kentucky page he said a few things that gave me a little hope.

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/201...diamond-stone/

If you don't want to read it here are the questions and his responses.(That were MSU related)

Does your dad (former Mississippi State player Horatio Webster) want you to go to Mississippi State?

He kind of favors them a little bit. But he knows, at the end of the day, its still my decision.

Do they have a good shot?

Yeah, they do.

Intramural All-American
07-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Come on, man. You know Dawg61 has more insight on Malik Newman's recruitment than Malik Newman does. Dawg61 has already told us he's not coming, so we shouldn't believe anything Malik says.

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Come on, man. You know Dawg61 has more insight on Malik Newman's recruitment than Malik Newman does. Dawg61 has already told us he's not coming, so we shouldn't believe anything Malik says.

Believe all you want. I don't. We've been down this path many a time before with the elite of the elite recruits. I'd rather we focus on being a better team this year and filling all the needs as best we can each year than spending all our time chasing the magical lotto ticket. Whatever. Still have an open spot not filled from the Davis departure.

Schultzy
07-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Believe all you want. I don't. We've been down this path many a time before with the elite of the elite recruits. I'd rather we focus on being a better team this year and filling all the needs as best we can each year than spending all our time chasing the magical lotto ticket. Whatever. Still have an open spot not filled from the Davis departure.

You don't want to go after the best player in the country who is a legacy because you think the thirteenth roster spot is important.
Your basketball posts achieve a level of stupidity that is difficult to imagine.

engie
07-17-2014, 06:15 PM
You don't want to go after the best player in the country who is a legacy because you think the thirteenth roster spot is important.
Your basketball posts achieve a level of stupidity that is difficult to imagine.

+1

His position will change constantly -- as long as it allows him to keep irrationally bitching.

msstate7
07-17-2014, 06:30 PM
We really need to get to the nit this season. Being a much improved team would certainly help

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 06:37 PM

You don't read so well do you. At no point did I say we shouldn't go after Newman at all. That would be stupid. I said we shouldn't be spending all our time going after Newman especially when we have open roster spots yet to be filled for a season that Newman will be a senior in HS anyways.

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 06:38 PM
+1

His position will change constantly -- as long as it allows him to keep irrationally bitching.

Cohen made it to the NC game. Give Ray an extension.

Schultzy
07-17-2014, 06:44 PM
People still don't understand the deep hole we were in when Ray took over. It's compounded by the idea we should recover like a national power one and done program like Kentucky, which is fantasy.

We will be good in hoops again and Ray is doing a much better job of getting us back than he is being credit for.

engie
07-17-2014, 06:54 PM
You don't read so well do you.
He certainly reads better than you post.

At no point did I say we shouldn't go after Newman at all.
You said 100% chance that we ARE NOT getting him. It's real easy to infer that "If we're not getting a player, we are wasting our time by chasing him -- and therefore shouldn't".

That would be stupid.
You are one step closer to self-awareness.

I said we shouldn't be spending all our time going after Newman
Please link me to this proof that Rick Ray and our staff is spending all of their time going after Newman?
Ah -- just more crap you made up...

especially when we have open roster spots yet to be filled
We have open roster spotS? When did we drop to 11?

for a season that Newman will be a senior in HS anyways.
Yeah -- that way we can only sign 2 next year(which we already have committed) -- and will have to cut someone or break commitments to make room for Newman. Yippee. Great plan. All so we can redshirt a "13th scholarship player". While totally ignoring the Elijah Staley factor.

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 07:00 PM
People still don't understand the deep hole we were in when Ray took over. It's compounded by the idea we should recover like a national power one and done program like Kentucky, which is fantasy.

Careful now you are starting to agree with me. Funny that you mention Kentucky as they are going after Newman themselves. How many times have we beaten out Kentucky for top 5 overall players in the nation?

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 07:08 PM
He certainly reads better than you post.

You said 100% chance that we ARE NOT getting him. It's real easy to infer that "If we're not getting a player, we are wasting our time by chasing him -- and therefore shouldn't".

You are one step closer to self-awareness.

Please link me to this proof that Rick Ray and our staff is spending all of their time going after Newman?
Ah -- just more crap you made up...

We have open roster spotS? When did we drop to 11?

Yeah -- that way we can only sign 2 next year(which we already have committed) -- and will have to cut someone or break commitments to make room for Newman. Yippee. Great plan. All so we can redshirt a "13th scholarship player". While totally ignoring the Elijah Staley factor.

Nice jacket J.P.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln5ekliwTP1qir083o1_400.gif

Schultzy
07-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Of course you go after Newman! And, to your "I'd rather...than spending all our time going after the magical lotto ticket." statement, yes I comprehend the gist of posts pretty well even though you do a good job of leaving yourself rhetorical outs.

Just because we've missed on the lottery picks in the past it doesn't mean we shouldn't go after the local big timers today. Just one can change the dynamic dramatically.

And he is indicating MSU has a real chance! I just don't understand you at all.

Big4Dawg
07-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Careful now you are starting to agree with me. Funny that you mention Kentucky as they are going after Newman themselves. How many times have we beaten out Kentucky for top 5 overall players in the nation?

How many 5* players are from Mississippi? Two I can think of. Good and Ellis. Both signed with us

TheRef
07-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Here's the thing. If he says that MSU has a good shot at getting him, THEN WHY WOULDN'T YOU???? 61, don't you dare say "we shouldn't be wasting our time on someone we will never get," because you and I both know that if we have a 5* football recruit from the State of Mississippi with a former player as a Father say in an interview that MSU has a "good chance" of getting him then you wouldn't be reacting the same way. Now sit down, good Sir.

HailState39110
07-17-2014, 07:22 PM
How many 5* players are from Mississippi? Two I can think of. Good and Ellis. Both signed with us

Othela Harrington (Georgetown) and Al Jefferson ( straight to NBA but signed with Arkansas) are two 5* stars I can think of that didn't sign with us

Schultzy
07-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Othela Harrington (Georgetown) and Al Jefferson ( straight to NBA but signed with Arkansas) are two 5* stars I can think of that didn't sign with us

Then, shortly after, four star Erick Dampier led us to the Final Four. That Harrington decision worked out pretty well for us but I digress.

None of those had fathers that played for MSU and it seems we are being aggressive in trying to win here.

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Here's the thing. If he says that MSU has a good shot at getting him, THEN WHY WOULDN'T YOU???? 61, don't you dare say "we shouldn't be wasting our time on someone we will never get," because you and I both know that if we have a 5* football recruit from the State of Mississippi with a former player as a Father say in an interview that MSU has a "good chance" of getting him then you wouldn't be reacting the same way. Now sit down, good Sir.

Again, I am not saying don't go after Newman at all. Of course we go after him along with the rest of the top players in this region. I am saying we aren't going to get him and we should be fixing the holes in the boat before it completely sinks instead of wasting all our time trying to find a radio to call for help.

TheRef
07-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Again, I am not saying don't go after Newman at all. Of course we go after him along with the rest of the top players in this region. I am saying we aren't going to get him and we should be fixing the holes in the boat before it completely sinks instead of wasting all our time trying to find a radio to call for help.

Who's saying that we aren't lining up a back-up plan just in case?

Coach34
07-17-2014, 07:40 PM

We have all the players on our roster that are going to help us in 2014-2015. There is nobody out there to help us now

TopDog58
07-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Yeah, he thinks there's an undiscovered 40% 3pt shooting phenom out there that is just dying to transfer that Coach Ray is just too lazy to go out and identify.

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 07:58 PM
We have all the players on our roster that are going to help us in 2014-2015. There is nobody out there to help us now

Tennessee added eight players since Martin quit. Auburn has added 6 new players since Pearl took over. We have added zero since Davis left. What's our problem? Why can't we add a single player? Y'all are being way way way too lenient on Ray. Which leads me to believe there's other motives for your leniency.

With only four months to work with, hired mid-March to replace the fired Tony Barbee, Pearl took advantage of the open market and put together a strong recruiting effort despite personally not being able to recruit any himself with a still-active show cause penalty, which expires Aug. 24.
"We had to recruit the best players that fit our needs as quickly as we could," Pearl said. "And I think the other thing was toughness and high-character guys, guys that want to win and train like pros."
Which is why, for the most part, Pearl and his staff focused largely on the transfer market as it sought to turnaround a roster relatively bereft of elite players.
And this offseason, there were plenty to work with "521" players according to ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman's annual transfer list.
While many top players are opting for the one-and-done approach to the NBA, Mason and Ross-Miller were the inverse, a rapidly growing trend of players seeking greener pastures for their final year of college basketball. Mason and Ross-Miller are two of more than 60 redshirt-seniors that have officially transferred to another program this summer according to a database on verbalcommits.com.
"The fifth-year senior transfer, like most rules and regulations, are put in for the best interest of the student-athlete," Pearl said. "For me, it sort of runs parallel with the one-and-done. The difference is, a fifth-year guy has already graduated from college, he's earned his degree, he's done it in four years and he still has a year of eligibility left."
The opportunity to add players with only one year remaining could prove to be a major benefit to Auburn's rebuilding effort. By adding players like Bowers, Mason and Ross-Miller, Pearl's made the team better without mortgaging the future.
"Scholarships are precious, and you don't waste them," Pearl said. "One of the advantages of having a junior college player or a fifth-year senior is it's a one- to two-year commitment. If you have more seniors in the program, then you have more scholarships to give next year."
But while the act of relying on transfers to turn around a team is risky and stressful, especially when it comes to qualifying them, the opportunity to have guys with college experience already under their belt can sometimes outweigh the negatives.
"I just think the maturity factor (is important), when you have a guy that?s been there and done that," Pearl said.
For players like Mason, Ross-Miller and Bowers , all three of whom will likely warrant major minutes next season, their only worry was when they could get started at Auburn.
"This summer session is very important to get close with my teammates, on and off the court, make sure everyone is comfortable with me and I'm comfortable with them," Mason said. "Me, personally, I just need to step up and treat it like I treated it last year, like this is my last year.
"(But) this is actually my last year of college."

Coach34
07-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Tennessee added eight players since Martin quit. Auburn has added 6 new players since Pearl took over. We have added zero since Davis left. What's our problem? Why can't we add a single player? Y'all are being way way way too lenient on Ray. Which leads me to believe there's other motives for your leniency.

It's too late NOW...I really dont give a shit if we have 13 players or not. We have our team for this year

Rayburn8
07-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Ohh and Diamond stone said the package deal is about a 50% chance of happening as of right now.

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 08:07 PM
It's too late NOW...I really dont give a shit if we have 13 players or not. We have our team for this year

Yea might just be too late now but it's not like I haven't been saying this fu@king shit for months now. Is Black qualified? Is Houston practicing with the team yet? Is Bloodman still hurt? Quickly our 12 could suddenly be 8. And that's an 8 that includes Ndoye and Dunlap. We are fu@ked if that's the case.

TheRef
07-17-2014, 08:08 PM

There's a difference between Ray and Pearl. We know this. It's been slammed into the ground. There's a difference between Tennessee and Mississippi State. We know this. It's been slammed into the ground. You're comparing Apples to Oranges right now. Pearl, even though he was given a show-cause by the NCAA, is a much better coach and recruiter than Ray. Tennessee is getting off of a trip to the Sweet 16. It's a lot easier to recruit off of a Sweet 16 run than a non-bid run. We know this. But I am still willing to support Ray in the manner in which he DESERVES. He is our Head Coach. We should support him until the day he is no longer our Head Coach. Any person who doesn't support Ray and this team are asinine and have an agenda, in my opinion.

And before you say anything, I supported Stansbury until the day he was no longer Head Coach of our Men's Basketball Team. So I'm not anti-Stansbury/pro-Ray and I'm not Pro-Stansbury/Anti-Ray. I am a Mississippi State University athletics fan that knows what he's talking about and is tired of people assuming that if you like A then you hate B, or vice-versa.

HoopsDawg
07-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Yea might just be too late now but it's not like I haven't been saying this fu@king shit for months now. Is Black qualified? Is Houston practicing with the team yet? Is Bloodman still hurt? Quickly our 12 could suddenly be 8. And that's an 8 that includes Ndoye and Dunlap. We are fu@ked if that's the case.

Just ****ing stop! Shut up!!!!!

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 08:23 PM
There's a difference between Ray and Pearl. We know this. It's been slammed into the ground. There's a difference between Tennessee and Mississippi State. We know this. It's been slammed into the ground. You're comparing Apples to Oranges right now. Pearl, even though he was given a show-cause by the NCAA, is a much better coach and recruiter than Ray. Tennessee is getting off of a trip to the Sweet 16. It's a lot easier to recruit off of a Sweet 16 run than a non-bid run. We know this. But I am still willing to support Ray in the manner in which he DESERVES. He is our Head Coach. We should support him until the day he is no longer our Head Coach. Any person who doesn't support Ray and this team are asinine and have an agenda, in my opinion.

And before you say anything, I supported Stansbury until the day he was no longer Head Coach of our Men's Basketball Team. So I'm not anti-Stansbury/pro-Ray and I'm not Pro-Stansbury/Anti-Ray. I am a Mississippi State University athletics fan that knows what he's talking about and is tired of people assuming that if you like A then you hate B, or vice-versa.

Look man I have no problems with Ray being the head coach if he'd just get off his fu@king ass and get us some damn good players. That's it. Get us players that are worth a shit. Fill the roster with bad ass basketball players. One's that can shoot and will beat the piss out of anyone that tries to beat them. Until the coach of the basketball team is doing that consistently I will be screaming from the mountain tops to get it done. It's nothing personal against Ray. He just isn't getting it done. I am not going to sit on my hands and goly gee shucks our coach to death. He isn't getting it done. He is losing every recruiting battle he attempts. How do I know that? Because he hasn't signed a single fu@king basketball player in the top 100 in any season he's been here. We aren't Tennessee? Ok fine they signed 8 new players, how about just signing one to replace Davis then? One measily little basketball transfer. ONE Not 6. Not 4. Not even two. Just ONE.

ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE ONE

Here's Nelly to remind Ray

"what does it take to sign just one"

http://youtu.be/Vt-96_byt68

Schultzy
07-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Replace Davis? A 5-10 shooting guard? The program is not hinging on this. Nice try with that straw man argument.

Intramural All-American
07-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Look man I have no problems with Ray being the head coach if he'd just get off his fu@king ass and get us some damn good players. That's it. Get us players that are worth a shit. Fill the roster with bad ass basketball players. One's that can shoot and will beat the piss out of anyone that tries to beat them. Until the coach of the basketball team is doing that consistently I will be screaming from the mountain tops to get it done. It's nothing personal against Ray. He just isn't getting it done. I am not going to sit on my hands and goly gee shucks our coach to death. He isn't getting it done. He is losing every recruiting battle he attempts. How do I know that? Because he hasn't signed a single fu@king basketball player in the top 100 in any season he's been here. We aren't Tennessee? Ok fine they signed 8 new players, how about just signing one to replace Davis then? One measily little basketball transfer. ONE Not 6. Not 4. Not even two. Just ONE.

Yea guys, until we are winning national championships, Dawg61 is not going to be happy. You realize that's basically what you just said, right? My gosh, you are a terrible basketball poster, even though some of your gripes are actually valid.

Dawg61
07-17-2014, 10:04 PM
even though some of your gripes are actually valid.

Explain further please