PDA

View Full Version : Scott Field Turf

preachermatt83
07-17-2014, 05:06 PM
maybe I am late on this but just less than 2 weeks ago the grass on the field looked awful and now it looks good. Did we lay new sod or has our grounds guys got it alive and and looking good in that very short time?

mstatefan91
07-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Just curious about why it matters? Not trying to be a dick. I just generally don't understand why anyone worries about what the field looks like during the summer.

messageboardsuperhero
07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
This is another yearly freak out ritual by some of our fans.

Every year in early July, someone losses it about the field looking "terrible"- then suddenly (around this time of the year), the grounds crew actually starts working on the turf. And of course it always looks great by the time the season starts.

Not saying you specifically were freaking out, I'm just saying some people always get worried about the playing surface at Scott Field for some stupid reason...

breazy
07-17-2014, 05:41 PM
probably just fertilized it matt. That'll green it up fairly quickly.

preachermatt83
07-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Just curious about why it matters? Not trying to be a dick. I just generally don't understand why anyone worries about what the field looks like during the summer.

oh, it doesn't matter, it always looks great by game day, I just simply was fascinated by how quickly they got it done. I guess I was just impressed.

FatDrunkandStupidDawg
07-17-2014, 05:56 PM
I think in that image a couple weeks ago they had just aerated the surface and possibly even spread a little sand... It did look bad, but like you said it always looks great by gameday!

oldjoedawg
07-17-2014, 07:45 PM
maybe I am late on this but just less than 2 weeks ago the grass on the field looked awful and now it looks good. Did we lay new sod or has our grounds guys got it alive and and looking good in that very short time?

Scott S posted a pic on twitter earlier this week of late last week showing humongus watering going on...never was a need to worry about out turf....we have the 'goods' to git er done....

TheDogFather
07-17-2014, 08:09 PM

Maybe contrary to popular belief our turf management department knows what the $&@ they are doing.

Weren't there a half dozen posts about how Dudy noble grass looked like shit 6 weeks before season?

RougeDawg
07-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Maybe contrary to popular belief our turf management department knows what the $&@ they are doing.

Weren't there a half dozen posts about how Dudy noble grass looked like shit 6 weeks before season?

Yes. Can't remember which publication did the poll, but Scott Field was rated/voted one of the top playing surfaces in college football. We are one of the only natural grass flat playing surfaces in the nation. Most natural grass fields have a crown and some very noticeable, including LSU's tiger stadium and auburn. Really the only flat playing surfaces are artificial these days. Our French drain system under Scott field is one of the best in all of sports. We can thank our fine PGM and turfs management programs for our design and surface.

War Machine Dawg
07-18-2014, 01:13 AM

Calm down, bruh. No need to be a dick. Preacher clearly said later on he was impressed with how quickly they've gotten it to green up and was just curious how they did it. I didn't get the sense he was in freak out mode about it looking like shit. We all should know by now that they'll have it in ridiculously good condition by Game 1.

spudd21
07-18-2014, 09:56 AM
If I'm not mistaken this type of grass needs a lot of heat and water to "green up". I'm pretty sure the picture everyone saw a few weeks ago the field had been "sanded" and it made it look yellow.

BrunswickDawg
07-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Yes. Can't remember which publication did the poll, but Scott Field was rated/voted one of the top playing surfaces in college football. We are one of the only natural grass flat playing surfaces in the nation. Most natural grass fields have a crown and some very noticeable, including LSU's tiger stadium and auburn. Really the only flat playing surfaces are artificial these days. Our French drain system under Scott field is one of the best in all of sports. We can thank our fine PGM and turfs management programs for our design and surface.
It's some publication that our landscape architect gets here at my agency. Almost every year he drops it by my office and says "At least you guys are #1 at growing grass" - damn UGA fans!

Bubb Rubb
07-18-2014, 12:19 PM
I think in that image a couple weeks ago they had just aerated the surface and possibly even spread a little sand... It did look bad, but like you said it always looks great by gameday!

I was on the field last week and they had put tons of fresh sod down, especially in the areas that the field was burned from last year's logos and lettering. It looked like hell in spots then, but it doesn't take long for fresh sod to explode and look great with plenty of water and a few 90 degree days.

jumbo
07-18-2014, 12:58 PM
fixed it up all nice like for Big Dawg camp

TheRef
07-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Field is soaked right now...let's see how well it'll hold up if they do decide to play on the field.

jumbo
07-18-2014, 01:31 PM
I would assume they'll be in the Palmeiro center tonight

TheRef
07-18-2014, 01:32 PM
I would assume they'll be in the Palmeiro center tonight

Either there or the new practice turf behind Seal Football Complex.

RougeDawg
07-18-2014, 06:06 PM
It's some publication that our landscape architect gets here at my agency. Almost every year he drops it by my office and says "At least you guys are #1 at growing grass" - damn UGA fans!

This may not be a bad #1 when they legalize marijuana.