PDA

View Full Version : PPP Polling adds to MSU Hype

BrunswickDawg
07-17-2014, 11:25 AM
From Public Policy Polling -

-Mississippi State continues to lead the way when it comes to college sports loyalties in the state. 34% say they pull for the Bulldogs to 25% for Ole Miss and 16% for Southern Mississippi. Both major schools have fan bases that are happy with their current football coaches. Dan Mullen has a 60/9 approval rating with Bulldog fans, and Hugh Freeze is at 59/7 with Rebel fans. Mullen's net approval is up 21 points from mid-November when it was 48/18- beating Ole Miss and winning a bowl game emphatically to close the season did a lot to help his standing.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2014/07/mississippi-miscellany.html

My question is - Does Kellenberg write a column about how polls don't matter, or does he focus on PPP being part of the "leftist agenda"?

Political Hack
07-17-2014, 11:56 AM
opinion polls don't throw passes. (neither do crappy clarion ledger beat writers).

Johnson85
07-17-2014, 01:02 PM
From Public Policy Polling -

34% say they pull for the Bulldogs to 25% for Ole Miss and 16% for Southern Mississippi.

That's a much bigger discrepancy than I would have expected. There is as much distance between us and Ole Miss as there is between Ole Miss and USM. We ahve 36% more supporters in the state. I'm guessing it would look a lot closer if you included Memphis and Birmingham, but that's still surprising. MSU athletics really have been incredibly poorly managed for a long time.

ETA: I wonder how much of that is real support and how much of the difference is driven by winning the last 4 out of 5 egg bowls.

War Machine Dawg
07-17-2014, 01:08 PM
That's a much bigger discrepancy than I would have expected. There is as much distance between us and Ole Miss as there is between Ole Miss and USM. We ahve 36% more supporters in the state. I'm guessing it would look a lot closer if you included Memphis and Birmingham, but that's still surprising. MSU athletics really have been incredibly poorly managed for a long time.

ETA: I wonder how much of that is real support and how much of the difference is driven by winning the last 4 out of 5 egg bowls.

I'd imagine a large chunk of that is real support. We've been the bigger school, thus putting out more alumni, for a long time. It's basic math. We have more supporters than them and the gap should continue to widen.

dawgs
07-17-2014, 01:08 PM
My question is - Does Kellenberg write a column about how polls don't matter, or does he focus on PPP being part of the "leftist agenda"?

Why wouldn't it be the conservative tea party agenda?

BrunswickDawg
07-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Why wouldn't it be the conservative tea party agenda?

Because depending on what you read, many times you see the polling company referred to as "Democratic leaning Public Policy Polling..."

curmudgeon
07-17-2014, 01:40 PM

But it adds to a problem we have in Mississippi. 25% identify with an out of state college football team. Put it this way - there's as many fans of out of state teams as there are one of the two premier teams. What that tells the academic in me is this:

There is a significant amount of people who do not identify with a Mississippi university. The vast majority of a number as high as 25% is bandwagon - not moving in. So, a big national run and a Heisman campaign can pick up a good amount of fans - maybe up to a quarter of that 25%. Once you get them in, MSU does a great job of making all fans feel welcome.

Quite simply, a 10-2 or better season with Prescott in New York and a good bowl game could mean a lot for us, this season.