PDA

View Full Version : Kellenberger on Dak

dickiedawg
07-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Here's a shocker: Not everyone at the CL thinks Dak hype is deserved.

http://http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2014/07/16/kellenberger-heisman-talk-just-july-talk/12719069/ (http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2014/07/16/kellenberger-heisman-talk-just-july-talk/12719069/)

RossDawg82
07-16-2014, 08:54 AM
doesn't he have some ole miss players to write about?

State82
07-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Just read it. Typical crap journalism from the CL. I don't know why I even waste time reading it. Kellenberger asks the question regarding the Heisman talk: "But was it also necessary at all?" I ask the exact same question about his article.

TXDawg
07-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Any bets on whether Bonner will have a similar article downplaying Bo?

I'm betting not.

TrueMaroon
07-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Kellenberger gets a hard-on from taking jabs at Mississippi State. He's careful with how he does it so that it is not obvious, but he definitely will slip in snide comments about our uniforms, or references to how someone "cheered" for Dan Mullen at media days, etc.

He's basic premise for the article is fine- none of the talk matters until he puts the numbers on the field. But him pointing out Dak only having 2500 total yards when he played a shell of a season isnt exactly a fair either.

I believe Engie put together a projection of what Dak's numbers would have been had he played the whole year and it was close to that 4,000 yard/40 TD mark; not exactly there, but comparable to Tebow's #'s when he won the Heisman.

07-16-2014, 09:10 AM
http://media0.giphy.com/media/X3DQ0d9QJVEpa/200_s.gif

msstate7
07-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Kellenberger gets a hard-on from taking jabs at Mississippi State. He's careful with how he does it so that it is not obvious, but he definitely will slip in snide comments about our uniforms, or references to how someone "cheered" for Dan Mullen at media days, etc.

He's basic premise for the article is fine- none of the talk matters until he puts the numbers on the field. But him pointing out Dak only having 2500 total yards when he played a shell of a season isnt exactly a fair either.

I believe Engie put together a projection of what Dak's numbers would have been had he played the whole year and it was close to that 4,000 yard/40 TD mark; not exactly there, but comparable to Tebow's #'s when he won the Heisman.

I wonder how dak's yard per play looks.

engie
07-16-2014, 09:11 AM
It pisses me off when people try to use last year's stats against him. Percentages are fair game -- but for the actual numbers to be fair game, you have to extrapolate them out over a full season with him getting a natural percentage of snaps as a starting QB to actually get ANY IDEA about "how good he actually was last year".

- 2769(actually 2822 including the receptions) and 25.

- Dak was involved in 401 of 620 "plays" from the QB position last year which include passes and runs. While this isn't an accurate reflection of total snaps(Russell was obviously far more likely to actually hand the ball off than Dak -- thus not accounting for a "play" when he was in the game), it's as accurate a representation as we have at our disposal.

- 401/620 = 65% total snaps. A number that was probably really closer to 57-62%. Elite/Pure starting QBs get 95%.

- Assuming 30% more snaps as a fulltime starter(he'll get more than 30% more IMO because we're going to go alot faster with him in comparison to Russell), his stats are now 3668 yards and 33 TDs. Suddenly we're alot closer to Kellenberger's 4k yards and 40 TD number for consideration...

LC Dawg
07-16-2014, 09:22 AM
So Dak's so hurt that he's not supposed to play and then he leads a comeback in the Egg Bowl over the far superior**** Bears and all Kellenberger can say is that he nearly threw an interception and made some bad decisions? What a dick.
The only bad decision I remember from that game is Bo trying to stand up with Nickoe's balls in his face.

messageboardsuperhero
07-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Can someone explain to me why Kellenberger is writing an article on Dak in the first place? Isn't he the UM beat writer?

messageboardsuperhero
07-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Any bets on whether Bonner will have a similar article downplaying Bo?

I'm betting not.

Exactly. They should have Bonner write an article calling Bo overrated- that would be fair.

engie
07-16-2014, 09:25 AM
I wonder how dak's yard per play looks.

Overall
Dak YPP - 6.91
Tebow YPP - 7.47 in his best(Heisman) year

Passing
Dak - 7.93 YPA, 58.4%, 12.5YPC
Tebow - 9.4 YPA, 66.9%, 14.0YPC

Running
Dak - 6.19YPA, TD every 10.3 rushes
Tebow - 4.26YPA, TD every 9.13 rushes

In the above categories, it shows that Dak doesn't require a very great improvement to get on the same page as Tebow in his best statistical year.

Now -- here's where we're miles behind -- and a place I can't see us making a big enough jump to be in legit contention to win it.

Dak - TD pass every 26.7 throws, INT every 38.1.
Tebow - TD pass every 10.9 throws, INT ever 58.3.

TrueMaroon
07-16-2014, 09:28 AM
The only bad decision I remember from that game is Bo trying to stand up with Nickoe's balls in his face.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Bill-Haders-Sudden-Clarity-Of-Approval.gif

dickiedawg
07-16-2014, 09:29 AM

I agree with that. I got a little miffed when I saw the tweet (which was leading), but reading the article it seemed to be more about Heisman hype in general being pointless right now, which is valid. Then I got to the bottom where he actually did discount Dak as a candidate, and went back to being annoyed.

Here's that tweet:

The Clarion-Ledger ‏@clarionledger ? 48m
Why #Heisman talk about @15_DakP is just that. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2014/07/16/kellenberger-heisman-talk-just-july-talk/12719069/ ? via @HKellenbergerCL

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 09:35 AM
It pisses me off when people try to use last year's stats against him. Percentages are fair game -- but for the actual numbers to be fair game, you have to extrapolate them out over a full season with him getting a natural percentage of snaps as a starting QB to actually get ANY IDEA about "how good he actually was last year".

- 2769(actually 2822 including the receptions) and 25.

- Dak was involved in 401 of 620 "plays" from the QB position last year which include passes and runs. While this isn't an accurate reflection of total snaps(Russell was obviously far more likely to actually hand the ball off than Dak -- thus not accounting for a "play" when he was in the game), it's as accurate a representation as we have at our disposal.

- 401/620 = 65% total snaps. A number that was probably really closer to 57-62%. Elite/Pure starting QBs get 95%.

- Assuming 30% more snaps as a fulltime starter(he'll get more than 30% more IMO because we're going to go alot faster with him in comparison to Russell), his stats are now 3668 yards and 33 TDs. Suddenly we're alot closer to Kellenberger's 4k yards and 40 TD number for consideration...

this was the first thing that went through my mind. He didn't play like a starting QB and still got 25 TDs. If you take the last 5 quarters and OT, he's averaging close to a TD per quarter. Let's use that instead.... He's going to have at least 52 TDs over 13 games. That's about as reasonable as the OM's trolls math, right?

thunderclap
07-16-2014, 09:38 AM
The closer it gets to kick off, the more deflection. January through June is the best time of the year for Ole Miss football.

FISHDAWG
07-16-2014, 09:41 AM
I noticed he referenced AJ McCarron as his example of what preseason hype should be about on the Heisman .... someone refresh my memory- how many Heismans did that guy win ? .... nevermind

Bigedawg
07-16-2014, 09:50 AM
I normally abstain, but I felt the need to tweet him on this one. He should know how MSU people feel, and God forbid if he ever gets switched to our beat.

@HKellenbergerCL you do realize that no one from MSU has mentioned a Heisman "campaign"? All of the Heisman talk is coming from national guys. You reference Dak's lack of stats while completely glossing over the amount of time split with Russell when both were healthy. I know you are pandering to the OM faithful with your tweets and articles; so, I guess I can hold my breath on you writing an article questioning the unwarranted hype of the OM team as a "dark horse" sec west contender. Oh, I almost forgot the "almost interception" reference. Do you know how many times that could be said in every game? If you want to play that game, Bo should have had 10 to's in the egg bowl. Come on, Hugh. You're a better writer than that.

TheRef
07-16-2014, 09:55 AM
I normally abstain, but I felt the need to tweet him on this one. He should know how MSU people feel, and God forbid if he ever gets switched to our beat.

@HKellenbergerCL you do realize that no one from MSU has mentioned a Heisman "campaign"? All of the Heisman talk is coming from national guys. You reference Dak's lack of stats while completely glossing over the amount of time split with Russell when both were healthy. I know you are pandering to the OM faithful with your tweets and articles; so, I guess I can hold my breath on you writing an article questioning the unwarranted hype of the OM team as a "dark horse" sec west contender. Oh, I almost forgot the "almost interception" reference. Do you know how many times that could be said in every game? If you want to play that game, Bo should have had 10 to's in the egg bowl. Come on, Hugh. You're a better writer than that.

That's a bit over 140 characters.****

But in all seriousness, well thought out.

deltadawg99
07-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Why is an OM beat writer writing an article about an MSU player?

SDDawg
07-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Kellenberger is homer scum. Bonner is a journalist. Huge difference between the two. CL has been in the can for OM forever and until they shut the doors forever that's not going to change. Sad.

msstate7
07-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Just shows the dak hype is real and so is the concern by OM.

thf24
07-16-2014, 10:08 AM

Dear god I lost count of how many times I heard that "almost interception" bit from rebs in the office during the weeks following that game. I finally shut them up by reminding them about Richie Brown's interception that would have put us inside their 10 if he hadn't fumbled it back to them, among many other potential OM turnovers.

Bigedawg
07-16-2014, 10:20 AM
That's a bit over 140 characters.****

But in all seriousness, well thought out.

What can I say? I tried to make it fit but was impossible considering all of the bs in his article that needed to be addressed.

DudyDawg
07-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Ive never liked the CL. Even their game summaries and stuff that purely show stats and such seem to show more stats for one team than the other, usually OM. I just don't even read it now

Martianlander
07-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Overall
Dak YPP - 6.91
Tebow YPP - 7.47 in his best(Heisman) year

Passing
Dak - 7.93 YPA, 58.4%, 12.5YPC
Tebow - 9.4 YPA, 66.9%, 14.0YPC

Running
Dak - 6.19YPA, TD every 10.3 rushes
Tebow - 4.26YPA, TD every 9.13 rushes

In the above categories, it shows that Dak doesn't require a very great improvement to get on the same page as Tebow in his best statistical year.

Now -- here's where we're miles behind -- and a place I can't see us making a big enough jump to be in legit contention to win it.

Dak - TD pass every 26.7 throws, INT every 38.1.
Tebow - TD pass every 10.9 throws, INT ever 58.3.

Good stuff. The coaches should keep a running total on this (and they may) to see how it's progressing from game to game.

pdawg10msu
07-16-2014, 10:39 AM
So Dak's so hurt that he's not supposed to play and then he leads a comeback in the Egg Bowl over the far superior**** Bears and all Kellenberger can say is that he nearly threw an interception and made some bad decisions? What a dick.
I nominate this for "Line Of The Year".

TheRef
07-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Robbie Faulk is SLAMMING Hugh for this.

Robbie Faulk
@Rivals_Robbie
"Dak Prescott is a good person and all but, come one, he didn't even complete a pass a media days. Stop talking heisman" #jornalism

10:48am ? 16 Jul 2014 ? TweetDeck

Robbie Faulk
@Rivals_Robbie
From my view, the word "Heisman" hasn't been uttered by a single person in media relations/marketing at MSU. So what's the story here?

10:53am ? 16 Jul 2014 ? TweetDeck

Coach34
07-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Kellenberger is a little baby back bitch. He gets all riled up when I tweet at him once every 6 months

CadaverDawg
07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Kellenberger is nothing but an Ole Miss fan with a microphone. He's scared shitless about us and Dak, and he's upset that we own the wins and the headlines over them, so he's doing his part to try and change it. He needs to realize that the typhoon known as Dak Prescott and MSU is far greater than anything his sorry as can change in his little propaganda trash rag known as the CL. Because unlike any OM hype...ours wasn't self generated. Ours is being created by the ESPN's of the world without our help. Better take cover Rebs

Bully041184
07-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Lol! I agree

Homedawg
07-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Dear god I lost count of how many times I heard that "almost interception" bit from rebs in the office during the weeks following that game. I finally shut them up by reminding them about Richie Brown's interception that would have put us inside their 10 if he hadn't fumbled it back to them, among many other potential OM turnovers.

So take away Cam newton's heisman bc Broomfield dropped a pick 6. Makes sense.***

preachermatt83
07-16-2014, 11:36 AM
everyone on here outta blow up his twitter feed.

preachermatt83
07-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Robbie Faulk is SLAMMING Hugh for this.

Robbie Faulk
@Rivals_Robbie
"Dak Prescott is a good person and all but, come one, he didn't even complete a pass a media days. Stop talking heisman" #jornalism

10:48am ? 16 Jul 2014 ? TweetDeck

Robbie Faulk
@Rivals_Robbie
From my view, the word "Heisman" hasn't been uttered by a single person in media relations/marketing at MSU. So what's the story here?

10:53am ? 16 Jul 2014 ? TweetDeck

so, ive been wondering.. is the user on here called HailMary , Robbie?

mic
07-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Maybe Kellenberger can do a follow up article on the lawsuit against the Nkdemechie brothers. That story seemed to have died out.

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 12:13 PM
has States beat writer ever written an unflattering story about OM?

messageboardsuperhero
07-16-2014, 12:22 PM
That's the thing. There has been absolutely ZERO Heisman campaign coming from our administration. It is all coming from people in the national media, like Jesse Palmer and Sallee. THEY are the ones behind all this talk in the media- not MSU or its administration.

So why is he trying to shame MSU for something that our AD isn't even doing?

Leroy Jenkins
07-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Sports Editor: 601-961-7293 zcreglow@Jackson.gannett.com
Kellenberger: 601-961-7291 hkellenber@Jackson.gannett.com

http://ww.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2010/09/17/ul_hugh_kellenberger+Z.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aWtwvd9dU9k/Rp7PCv1_bNI/AAAAAAAAACE/vAhCDR1MTZ8/s1600/JuSw-Pat.jpg

maroonmania
07-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Sports Editor: 601-961-7293 zcreglow@Jackson.gannett.com
Kellenberger: 601-961-7291 hkellenber@Jackson.gannett.com

http://ww.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2010/09/17/ul_hugh_kellenberger+Z.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aWtwvd9dU9k/Rp7PCv1_bNI/AAAAAAAAACE/vAhCDR1MTZ8/s1600/JuSw-Pat.jpg

Is that top picture really him? He looks like he should be playing tuba in some HS band.

PassInterference
07-16-2014, 05:16 PM
That's an insult to Pat's teeth.

Todd4State
07-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Here's a comparison he won't like: Touchdowns in this case refers to Passing, rushing, and receiving.

Eli Manning- 34 TD's entering his junior year.

Dak Prescott- 33 TD's entering his junior year.

Nevermind the fact that Dak missed some of his sophomore year with an injury.

TheRef
07-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Well here is M&WN's response to the Kellenberger article: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/07/16/clarion-ledger-publishes-worst-article-ever/

BeardoMSU
07-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Here's a comparison he won't like: Touchdowns in this case refers to Passing, rushing, and receiving.

Eli Manning- 34 TD's entering his junior year.

Dak Prescott- 33 TD's entering his junior year.

Nevermind the fact that Dak missed some of his sophomore year with an injury.

And that Dak was a situational QB his freshman year. This is the "great Eli" we're talking about, lol, how is it he only had 1 more TD at this time?

mstatefan91
07-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Surely his engaging personality would dazzle interviewers, who would immediately join college football analyst Jesse Palmer in discussing Prescott alongside Tim Tebow.

Did he seriously type that? F*** this dude

mstatefan91
07-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Dude's an idiot. I wish I hadn't read it.

Objective journalism at its finest**

CadaverDawg
07-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Well here is M&WN's response to the Kellenberger article: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/07/16/clarion-ledger-publishes-worst-article-ever/

Well done, CroomDiaries....well ****ing done

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/stratocaster-discussion-forum/38543d1263169399t-building-guitar-my-g-f-what-do-you-think-hell-yes-jpg

Todd4State
07-16-2014, 06:32 PM
To be fair, Eli was a back-up his freshman year as well. But Dak was better as a redshirt freshman. Prescott had 4 TD's and 0 INT's in only 29 attempts while Eli had 3 TD's with 2 INT's in 53 pass attempt. Not including Dak's 4 rushing TD's.

Now, Eli had the better sophomore year, but Eli was the unquestioned starter and did not miss a game due to injury. And despite that, Dak held his own pretty well accounting for 25 total TD's- 13 TD passes with 7 INT's, one "near INT"**, 10 rushing TD's and 2 TD receptions.

Eli actually declined his junior year, but if Dak can stay healthy and account for a little over 2 TD's a game for the rest of his career, he will statistically have a better career than Eli.

Leroy Jenkins
07-16-2014, 06:49 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsr3GiaCQAAhzOs.jpg:large

BulldogBear
07-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Kellenberger is nothing but an Ole Miss fan with a microphone. He's scared shitless about us and Dak, and he's upset that we own the wins and the headlines over them, so he's doing his part to try and change it. He needs to realize that the typhoon known as Dak Prescott and MSU is far greater than anything his sorry as can change in his little propaganda trash rag known as the CL. Because unlike any OM hype...ours wasn't self generated. Ours is being created by the ESPN's of the world without our help. Better take cover Rebs

This This Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis^

Dak4Heisman
07-16-2014, 10:36 PM
I would comment about Hugh is an idiot and slightly less a homer as Yancy but apparently over here I will get called a troll.

BulldogBear
07-16-2014, 10:36 PM

Seconded. I'm borrowing it!

messageboardsuperhero
07-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Someone should watch UM game film from this past year and see how many "near INTs" Bo Wallace had- then they should e-mail that information to the CL sports editor and demand that Michael Bonner write a headline story about how Bo Wallace sucks because he almost threw a bunch of INTs.

BeardoMSU
07-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Guys, I normally don't like to recycle .gifs/videos, but even though I had to use this last night on a confederate troll, and as I don't have a twitter account, someone should really tag this clip to Mr. Douche. I mean, what else sums up the deserved response? #checkmate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvMYPF-gnQU

BeardoMSU
07-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Even better.....

In this clip, imagine Dak is Ser Ben Kingsley and Hugh is Ray Winstone, and the topic of their conversation is whether or not Hugh will agree to write an apology article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izuGqIi_-vc

hailmari
07-16-2014, 11:25 PM
That's awesome. I've never seen that movie, I'm gonna have to now.

yjnkdawg
07-16-2014, 11:30 PM

I was going to ask the same question. I guess OM has no news, but true he is a writer, but not a journalist. So Kellenberger is smarter than the national media? I think he has snorted too much Hotty Toddy. Now I'm really wondering why I'm still subscribing to the online version of that crap of a so-called newspaper.

BeardoMSU
07-16-2014, 11:35 PM
That's awesome. I've never seen that movie, I'm gonna have to now.

It's a good one, Mari.

BulldogBear
07-16-2014, 11:48 PM
Someone should watch UM game film from this past year and see how many "near INTs" Bo Wallace had- then they should e-mail that information to the CL sports editor and demand that Michael Bonner write a headline story about how Bo Wallace sucks because he almost threw a bunch of INTs.

Did Hugh forget the unfumble? What about the offense that couldn't get in the endzone? Blocked punt? Because every game is decided by one play and one play only right?***

I am actually ashamed to have this pass for journalism in our state's "flagship" newspaper. This just sounds like a whiney little kid saying "nuh uh" not a professional journalist.

No wonder I don't subscribe to this rag.

843dawg
07-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Just shows the dak hype is real and so is the concern by OM.

This X1000! Hugh was trolling us with that article. Bo Bounds put him on the spot about Dak in his interview last week or whenever it was and I guess he wanted to answer. Hugh Hamburger is nothing. The CL is a joke.

RossDawg82
07-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Every state fan that subscribes to that paper should immediately cancel their subscription.

DudyDawg
07-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Every state fan that subscribes to that paper should cancel their subscription two years ago.

Fixed it

rtdawg
07-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Seriously, just cancel your subscription. Did it a year ago and wish I would have done it sooner....

ScoobaDawg
07-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Seriously, just cancel your subscription. Did it a year ago and wish I would have done it sooner....

Don't read it online either... and actually this whole thread got the response he wanted I'm sure.. 4 pages of his name being mentioned.