PDA

View Full Version : Matt Womack

sbcmortgageman
07-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Per David Johnson, we are completely out of the picture.

msstate7
07-16-2014, 08:34 AM
The 2 juco guys just got more important

Ifyouonlyknew
07-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Those 2 were always more important than Womack.

msstate7
07-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Those 2 were always more important than Womack.

So what's your prediction 2-2, 1-2, or 0-2?

HancockCountyDog
07-16-2014, 09:55 AM
So what's your prediction 2-2, 1-2, or 0-2?

I like our chances with Danley the best. I haven't heard anything positive on the Perk kid in a long time. I can check with someone that should know today and see if he has any positive news on Rankin.

mic
07-16-2014, 10:15 AM
What ground breaking news from DJ
We have been out of the picture now with him for weeks
Kind of like OM is with Adams and Peters

Big4Dawg
07-16-2014, 10:36 AM
This isn't news at all. been this way since he got his OM offer.

HancockCountyDog
07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
This isn't news at all. been this way since he got his OM offer.

The bears may have screwed the pooch though, Womack earned offers from LSU and SC. And these aren't Josh Winchell offers (some guys that follow recruiting too closely will get this reference), these are legit offers and apparently the kid has really developed.

This happened to us in the past, and I think the kid should just go where he always wanted to go and not get wowed by out of state programs. We are dealing with this with Adams and Peters right now. They both like AL, but they should just go where their heart is and that is MSU.

EAVdog
07-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Momma went to Ole Miss and wants him at Ole Miss. Daddy said Momma will get what she wants.

He's going to Ole Miss.

AlSwearengen
07-16-2014, 11:09 AM
This guy could end up being all world nfl, but the more I hear, the more I think "baby huey".

BeastMan
07-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Wommack was never a likely get for MSU all along. LSU is his dream school. If they let him commit at any point, that's where he goes. If not, OM is close to home.

Regarding Danley, I'm not sure MSU gets him. Make me pick today and I say OU and it has absolutely nothing to do with Hevesy. Martinas Rankin is very much considering MSU. The talk of him being a big OM lean was just talk. Basically, Yancy thought Danley was going to MSU so he hyped Rankin to OM. In actuality, MSU has a much better depth chart for a juco OT with Clausell graduating. OM will return Tunsil and Fahn Cooper. Honestly, I'm eyeing the Rankin recruitment more closely as of now.

HancockCountyDog
07-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Wommack was never a likely get for MSU all along. LSU is his dream school. If they let him commit at any point, that's where he goes. If not, OM is close to home.

Regarding Danley, I'm not sure MSU gets him. Make me pick today and I say OU and it has absolutely nothing to do with Hevesy. Martinas Rankin is very much considering MSU. The talk of him being a big OM lean was just talk. Basically, Yancy thought Danley was going to MSU so he hyped Rankin to OM. In actuality, MSU has a much better depth chart for a juco OT with Clausell graduating. OM will return Tunsil and Fahn Cooper. Honestly, I'm eyeing the Rankin recruitment more closely as of now.

Here is what I believe happened - I could be wrong, but I think this is close : Danley is target number 1 for MSU and he wants to come to MSU so we don't go after Rankin that hard. The bears know that they aren't getting Danley so they push hard for Rankin who I think had MSU number 1, but wasn't feeling the "love" as much as from the bears.

Danley gets starry eyed about Oklahoma, and is considering going there so we pick back up with Rankin who has been seriously considering the bears now. The issue that I see is that we aren't going to give up on Danley until the ink is dry. I would guess we will sign two Juco OT's this year, or at least try to since we really missed last year on the OL and my bet is that we go all out on Rankin.

BeastMan
07-16-2014, 11:22 AM
That scenario sounds about right. If Danley goes to OU, it's not b/c he star eyed though.

cpilkenton
07-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Does he look a little like the mom from the goonies?

hailmari
07-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Last I heard was Danley won't have to take some extra classes for the Big 12 and that'll allow him to go there in January. But the SEC requires that extra class or two and that'd push him to another semester of JUCO. Total bull crap considering he was academically eligible out of high school, but SEC's JUCO rules are the rules we're stuck with.

maroonmania
07-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Last I heard was Danley won't have to take some extra classes for the Big 12 and that'll allow him to go there in January. But the SEC requires that extra class or two and that'd push him to another semester of JUCO. Total bull crap considering he was academically eligible out of high school, but SEC's JUCO rules are the rules we're stuck with.

Yep, we are losing important JUCO recruits to the Big 12 over that rule repeatedly now. I don't see this happening with the ACC, apparently they must have the more stringent rule as well.

CadaverDawg
07-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Yep, we are losing important JUCO recruits to the Big 12 over that rule repeatedly now. I don't see this happening with the ACC, apparently they must have the more stringent rule as well.

Which is even more reason that we need Hevesy and company to get their shit together with our high school OLine recruiting, IMO. Not just Hevesy, but our entire staff needs to put emphasis on OL in their recruiting territories. Hevesy just needs to start making a better impression on these studs.

Bully13
07-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Which is even more reason that we need Hevesy and company to get their shit together with our high school OLine recruiting, IMO. Not just Hevesy, but our entire staff needs to put emphasis on OL in their recruiting territories. Hevesy just needs to start making a better impression on these studs.

what the 17 happened with Womack? Hevesy and Co need to be kicked in the balls for losing this guy. I'm growing real tired of this pussified OL recruiting that's been going on since Mullen's arrival. never have we sucked this bad. croom did a better job for 17's sake. being in the lower tier of SEC recruitment of OL is one thing, but doing it on a MTSU level is another. what is the excuse of not even being on a lower tier SEC level of OL recruitment with where we are now? hevesy needs to be fired so he can go jack off elsewhere like memphis of hattisburgh.

Coach34
07-16-2014, 07:50 PM
what the 17 happened with Womack? Hevesy and Co need to be kicked in the balls for losing this guy. I'm growing real tired of this pussified OL recruiting that's been going on since Mullen's arrival. never have we sucked this bad. croom did a better job for 17's sake. being in the lower tier of SEC recruitment of OL is one thing, but doing it on a MTSU level is another. what is the excuse of not even being on a lower tier SEC level of OL recruitment with where we are now? hevesy needs to be fired so he can go jack off elsewhere like memphis of hattisburgh.

I'm gonna say this as nicely as I can:

You're a ****ing idiot

This will be our best OL in a long damn time at Miss State

Bully13
07-16-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm gonna say this as nicely as I can:

You're a ****ing idiot

This will be our best OL in a long damn time at Miss State

I hope you are right Coach. but this shit is getting 17ing ridiculous. year after 17ing year. what the 17 is up? the question demands an answer. but I'm not an idiot for questioning our lack of OL recruitment since Mullen's arrival.

Bully13
07-16-2014, 08:21 PM
your confidence begs a question as well. why couldn't we open any meaningful holes against quality DL'S last year? do you think the number of 0, 1, & 2 yrd gaines on 1st and 2nd downs against quality competition was acceptable last year?

Coach34
07-16-2014, 08:29 PM
I hope you are right Coach. but this shit is getting 17ing ridiculous. year after 17ing year. what the 17 is up? the question demands an answer. but I'm not an idiot for questioning our lack of OL recruitment since Mullen's arrival.

4 of our 5 starters in 2014 will be in an NFL training camp- thats pretty strong and I dont see a lack of OL recruitment

People have been bitching about our lack of recruiting for awhile now- yet here we are in 2014 with people saying we are one of the most talented in the SEC.

Coach34
07-16-2014, 08:32 PM
your confidence begs a question as well. why couldn't we open any meaningful holes against quality DL'S last year? do you think the number of 0, 1, & 2 yrd gaines on 1st and 2nd downs against quality competition was acceptable last year?

The same reason we had 40 yards rushing in the 1st half with Perkins vs UPig but over 100 in the 2nd half with JRob carrying the ball. Not to mention the problem of having Russell at QB the last 2 years.

Our running attack in 2014 will be much improved

Bully13
07-16-2014, 08:35 PM
4 of our 5 starters in 2014 will be in an NFL training camp- thats pretty strong and I dont see a lack of OL recruitment

if that is true, then you win. and I hope your assessment is accurate. who are these 4 you speak of? I know of 2 who have a chance. AND, were you satisfied with our ability to run on 1st and 2nd down against legit D'S last year?

Bully13
07-16-2014, 08:40 PM
The same reason we had 40 yards rushing in the 1st half with Perkins vs UPig but over 100 in the 2nd half with JRob carrying the ball. Not to mention the problem of having Russell at QB the last 2 years.

Our running attack in 2014 will be much improved

that is a legit statement. concur. having less predictability can open some holes. more options makes the D less likely to "T Off" on the offense. I just want to see us open some holes up on D's other than Arky. we will see soon. no?

but we still can't seem to sign any elite OL's. we need improvement there.

DudyDawg
07-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Gabe wasn't a stud signing. He was a two star right? Now he's a high draft pick. I think that is a good enough example to tell you to give our coaches a bit of leeway as far as OL recruits go. I trust them

Coach34
07-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Gabe wasn't a stud signing. He was a two star right? Now he's a high draft pick. I think that is a good enough example to tell you to give our coaches a bit of leeway as far as OL recruits go. I trust them

Gabe was a 3-star nobody special signing...

DudyDawg
07-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Gabe was a 3-star nobody special signing...

3*. Y'all get the point

Bully13
07-16-2014, 09:04 PM
we sure seem to miss out on a lot though. it seems we are not selling these examples good enough right now and in the last 5 years.

HoopsDawg
07-16-2014, 09:22 PM
3*. Y'all get the point

3 star with an AU offer. Also, he was an early commit not a last second signee out of nowhere.

mic
07-16-2014, 09:37 PM
It's not like Womack is a 5*.... If he was in the 2013 class he wouldn't been in the top 6 of OL taken.. He may turn out to be an All -American , but some of you all just want to bitch to be bitching..
And the run game will be much better because of Dak. Surely everyone knows that..

NCDawg
07-16-2014, 11:56 PM
we sure seem to miss out on a lot though. it seems we are not selling these examples good enough right now and in the last 5 years.

I agree we do miss out on just about all the top OL we go after. Something is obviously wrong with our OL recruiting somewhere.

Todd4State
07-17-2014, 01:10 AM

Womack's Mom being an Ole Miss fan is what the 17 happened. We're going to offer the top guys in the state even if it's Archie's son that was adopted by Sean Tuohy. Private school kids in general are a little different than most public school kids because they are typically loyal to their allegiances that they had growing up whereas a larger percentage of public school prospects are neutral.

On top of that, the star rankings are by far the least accurate for o-linemen. I wouldn't even pay attention to them. Case in point? Who is our highest rated o-lineman? Damien Robinson. In the meantime, we're starting a 2 star center who will be up for the Rimington Award, a 2 star guard from a private school who was able to hold his own as a true freshman last year, a walk-on at the other guard spot who is solid and will be the only one not in a NFL camp next year, a 2 star left tackle who will be in the NFL, and a RT who was also a 2 star private school kid that will be in the NFL in a couple of years.

And don't get down on guys like Cole Carter, Devon Desper, Jake Thomas, Kent Flowers, etc. because they haven't played a lot. O-line is a developmental position group probably moreso than any of the others except for possibly QB. At this point, those guys have only been in our program for a year or two. By this time next year, they will have another year and another spring under their belt, and that's going to make a HUGE difference. I remember Dan and Hevesey cussing Clausell out so bad against UAB that people had to scatter their kids from behind the sideline. Beckwith was a blocking TE for us at one point. A couple of years ago, we had fans that were wondering if Day was going to be able to put enough weight on to play in the SEC even though we all liked his nastiness.

I don't know why the recruiting web site evaluators have so much trouble evaluating o-linemen. I know you look for them having a mean streak and athleticism ("good feet"). I guess they have a hard time seeing a guy like Addison Lawrence go from 250 to 300 during the course of his career or something.

Todd4State
07-17-2014, 01:16 AM

What do you want Dan to do? Trust his evaluation skills and take a 3 star guy like Gabe or take a 4 star guy that isn't as good in their professional opinion to make our recruiting class look better?

I just don't understand how you can say we are "missing" when Hevesey has recruited every o-lineman we have and as Coach said- 4 of them are going to the NFL and the other guy is a quality SEC player. That's the recruiting people missing- not us.

Dak was a three star too. Should we be mad at Dan for not getting Ryan Buchanan who was a four star guy?

Johnson85
07-17-2014, 08:16 AM

How is that even possible? If somebody was eligible after high school but sat around for two years, they could play immediately as a true freshman, but if they attend JUCO, they somehow lose their eligibility? That seems crazy. I could understand if their GPA made them ineligible, but it seems 17ing crazy to say somebody was academically qualified to come to a four year school after high school but to assume that attending JUCO makes them less qualified.

maroonmania
07-17-2014, 10:50 AM
What do you want Dan to do? Trust his evaluation skills and take a 3 star guy like Gabe or take a 4 star guy that isn't as good in their professional opinion to make our recruiting class look better?

I just don't understand how you can say we are "missing" when Hevesey has recruited every o-lineman we have and as Coach said- 4 of them are going to the NFL and the other guy is a quality SEC player. That's the recruiting people missing- not us.

Dak was a three star too. Should we be mad at Dan for not getting Ryan Buchanan who was a four star guy?

Its apples and oranges you are talking. Yes, we have done well developing a number of guys (including what looks to be 3 starters this year from MS private schools). No question about that and I give props to Hevesy for that. However, we are still offering and not getting a high percentage of what appears to be our top targets on our own recruiting board during the recruiting phase specifically for OL. THAT is the concern here. I mean our OL is pretty decent but how much better would it be if we were getting a few guys that could be developed a little more quickly and who might have higher ceilings. YES, Clausell is a pretty dang good LT now but he was a big liability in his RFR and SO years. A Tunsil type comes in and he doesn't take 3 years to be a solid SEC OL. So we are doing well with the OL recruiting we are doing but if we could just have added 1 or 2 more highly touted guys to put into the mix (that had other legit big time SEC offers) with what we already have we could be a good bit better. And as we are seeing, if getting good JUCO OL into school is going to continue to be an issue, its even that much more important on HS OL recruiting.