PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Brewing Co.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Anyone know when they are due to make the move to MS. I went to their brewery with a distributor for a testing party and the blue immediately became my favorite beer. Anyone been there or know about the move. I've seen online that they plan to be here this year, but then I saw this tweet today so I'm not sure. Lemme know if you guys do

@SweetWaterMS: Hey Mississippi, it's 4:19...you got a minute?

TheRef
07-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Anyone know when they are due to make the move to MS. I went to their brewery with a distributor for a testing party and the blue immediately became my favorite beer. Anyone been there or know about the move. I've seen online that they plan to be here this year, but then I saw this tweet today so I'm not sure. Lemme know if you guys do

@SweetWaterMS: Hey Mississippi, it's 4:19...you got a minute?

I'll talk to my contacts around here.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Re reading, 420 is one of their beers, so the 419 got a minute probably has to do with that. Originally thought it meant they would be here on 4-19-15, so it scared me haha. Hopefully they mean it's on the way!

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 09:38 PM
@SweetWaterMS: ?@ginaleigh4: @sweetwaterbrew When???? Hint: The same day someone famous graduated from Ole Miss; just 51 yrs later...

WHO KNOWS THIS ANSWER IM BEGGING YOU

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
James Meredith, August 18, 1963. Bang.

C222
07-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Blue. 420. Road Trip. All 3 are great. IPA...not good.

TheRef
07-15-2014, 09:44 PM

I'm not a big IPA man myself. I'm more of a stout guy. Maybe it's just because I love my dark beers.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 09:50 PM

agreed. The blue was orgasmic on draught. Absolutely amazing. I hope the bin and other Starkville bars carry it, bottles at the least. I'm a happy man tonight haha

TheRef
07-15-2014, 09:52 PM
agreed. The blue was orgasmic on draught. Absolutely amazing. I hope the bin and other Starkville bars carry it, bottles at the least. I'm a happy man tonight haha

I can almost guarantee you that Halfway House will carry at least one on drought. Dave's might too.

hailmari
07-15-2014, 09:55 PM
420 is solid. The only other one I've had of their's was something with a fruit twist to it, I can't remember what exactly. Blueberry wheat, maybe.. But it tasted like straight up artificial flavoring.

Joedawg
07-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Sweet water is ok but nothing beets a cold blue moon
Hands down best craft beer

TheRef
07-15-2014, 10:11 PM

I'm not a fan of blue moon. Crooked Letter's Mystery Romp is my favorite beer of all time.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 10:13 PM

A blue moon with an orange slice in a nice tall glass is pretty damn good. Hard to still call them a craft beer as far as size haha.

Hell, let's turn this into a beer thread. What other breweries like sweetwater do you guys know of in MS or Tennessee that is can't miss? I'm in Texas right now, and had a beer called Moa. Don't know if it's a craft or not but i had never heard of it and it was spectacular

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm not a fan of blue moon. Crooked Letter's Mystery Romp is my favorite beer of all time.

Never heard of that, what is it. Is it in Starkville?

TheRef
07-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Never heard of that, what is it. Is it in Starkville?

It was in Starkville, not anymore. It's from Crooked Letter Brewing in Ocean Springs. It's a coffee stout and I am literally addicted to that brew.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 10:21 PM
One of the best "beers" I've ever had is the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Be warned this beer will knock you on your ass.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/120-minute-ipa.htm

Joedawg
07-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Is craft beer really worth it? For the same price as mystery romp you can load up on Miller.
That's why I like blue moon, it's a fair price for great beer

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Is craft beer really worth it? For the same price as mystery romp you can load up on Miller.

Miller tastes like piss. I can drink cheap beer, but sometimes, yes it's worth it

TheRef
07-15-2014, 10:30 PM

I drink for taste, not to get f***ed up. I like to try new beers. When I'm feeling cheap, I'll get a bud. That's as low as I'll go.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 10:32 PM
I drink for taste, not to get f***ed up. I like to try new beers. When I'm feeling cheap, I'll get a bud. That's as low as I'll go.

You need to work on your multi tasking ref!!

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Miller tastes like piss. I can drink cheap beer, but sometimes, yes it's worth it

Do sell your Pissweiser stock in GTAV tho

Joedawg
07-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Miller is an honest American beer. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to come after me. Have even ever tasted piss anyway?

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 10:34 PM
And this thread has turned into beer snobbery haha that didn't take long

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Miller is an honest American beer. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to come after me. Have even ever tasted loss anyway?

Hey bro I'll drink a High-Life with you anytime. Pay no attention to these beer snobs. Haha

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Hey bro I'll drink a High-Life with you anytime. Pay no attention to these beer snobs. Haha

Whoa whoa whoa. First off, he said miller. Not Highlife. I love highlife haha. Just hate miller (By the way I didn't come after joe). I buy more bud/natty/keystone than anything else. Just reallllly love sweetwater and wanna know what you guys think haha

THE DAK KNIGHT
07-15-2014, 10:40 PM
James Meredith, August 18, 1963. Bang.

Is the "Bang" referring to him being shot at? That joke is in poor taste.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. First off, he said miller. Not Highlife. I love highlife haha. Just hate miller (By the way I didn't come after joe). I buy more bud/natty/keystone than anything else. Just reallllly love sweetwater and wanna know what you guys think haha

Miller, Miller High-Life. Same company. Tits, bigger tits. Same tits. Right?** I just think Sweetwater was making a joke about their beer and about the popular time to smoke weed at 4:20 and asked if MS has a minute. Idk

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Someone asked about when it was coming and they mentioned the ole miss graduation and James Meredith fits it

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Is the "Bang" referring to him being shot at? That joke is in poor taste.

If you seriously think that's what I was talking about, you're an idiot. It's pretty clear I was talking about figuring out the hint that their twitter sent out.

Then again, a lot of us think you're a troll so I'm not surprised you would try to come in and boost your reputation by slandering others. Nice try though

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 10:45 PM
If you seriously think that's what I was talking about, you're an idiot. It's pretty clear I was talking about figuring out the hint that their twitter sent out.

Then again, a lot of us think you're a troll so I'm not surprised you would try to come in and boost your reputation by slandering others. Nice try though

Haha I took it as a poor joke. I laughed though which is not difficult to achieve.

hailmari
07-15-2014, 10:46 PM

It is for me. Not everybody develops a taste for it, though. I just enjoy the unique flavors (especially the ones that punch me in the face) and if you're interested enough, there's some cool history behind beer styles. It's a different type of buzz too. Light beer just makes me feel dehydrated since it takes so many to catch a buzz, but a few good IPAs at 9% ABV will have me in a great mood quick. (makes sense bc you're more than doubling the alcohol from a light)

It actually might be cheaper for me to drink craft if I want a buzz. But I rarely drink for buzz these days and that's where the great flavors of craft make a difference.

THE DAK KNIGHT
07-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Haha I took it as a poor joke. I laughed though which is not difficult to achieve.

Haha yeah man I was kidding around but it got taken way more seriously than I intended it. But for craft beers, I like Jefferson Stout by Lazy Magnolia.

TheRef
07-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Haha yeah man I was kidding around but it got taken way more seriously than I intended it. But for craft beers, I like Jefferson Stout by Lazy Magnolia.

Jeff Stout is a good one from Lazy Magnolia.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Lazy magnolia is pretty good too. I don't know how craft it is, but flat tire is good too

bgdog
07-15-2014, 10:55 PM

I mean it depends on what you want out of your beer I guess. Is any liquid besides free water "worth it?"

I love good food and good drink so I always want to try new things and I want to drink what the most accomplished and most ambitious people in their respective fields are making.

THE DAK KNIGHT
07-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Definitely. I like Indian Summer from Lazy Magnolia too

Joedawg
07-15-2014, 10:56 PM

Thanks bro,I guess I'm being a little sensitive but I feel like people are being kinda hostile,maybe because I'm a new member. They trashed my Dan Facts thread. They said I'm a troll because of grammar errors on my part but my fingers are too big for this kindle. Also for me high life is definitely top 5

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks bro,I guess I'm being a little sensitive but I feel like people are being kinda hostile,maybe because I'm a new member. They trashed my Dan Facts thread. They said I'm a troll because of grammar errors on my part but my fingers are too big for this kindle. Also for me high life is definitely top 5

I think it was more of the general lameness of the thread..... But I won't bash you anymore, it just came off as trying too hard. Some friendly advice.

For the price highlife is pretty good for what would I guess fall into the shit beer category bc of it's price

hailmari
07-15-2014, 11:08 PM
It was in Starkville, not anymore. It's from Crooked Letter Brewing in Ocean Springs. It's a coffee stout and I am literally addicted to that brew.

It's only served on tap, I think. So it basically requires a bar to have a popular demand for it. It's usually a regular at Blue Canoe in Tupelo (great food and beer selection, btw).

Try Mocha Porter by Rogue if you haven't already. Similar style. You should be able to find it in bombers at Brewski's.

TheRef
07-15-2014, 11:09 PM
It's only served on tap, I think. So it basically requires a bar to have a popular demand for it. It's usually a regular at Blue Canoe in Tupelo (great food and beer selection, btw).

Try Mocha Porter by Rogue if you haven't already. Similar style. You should be able to find it in bombers at Brewski's.

Yeah I've had the Rogue Mocha Porter. Good beer. Dave's did have it on tap at one time. I loved it, sad to see it go but it's the nature of the draft beast.

LC Dawg
07-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Sweetwater coming to MS is great news to me. I don't know if you guys know it but the owners of Lazy Magnolia are State grads and at least a couple of the owners of Lucky Town are State grads so we have some Bulldogs making an impact on the craft beer industry in Mississippi.

DudyDawg
07-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Nice. It would be really cool to have a beer with the walking bully on the logo. That is a craft I would willingly spend money on

fishwater99
07-16-2014, 10:04 AM

The IPA is good and the Rye IPA is great. I guess you are not an IPA Beer fan at all...

dawgs
07-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Ugh that post makes my brain hurt. Blue moon? Really?

dawgs
07-16-2014, 10:16 AM
One of the best "beers" I've ever had is the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Be warned this beer will knock you on your ass.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/120-minute-ipa.htm

Yeah it's delicious. I get 1 a year or so. You are eating that thing more than drinking it.

DudyDawg
07-16-2014, 10:18 AM
I cannot drink annoy of those coffee-like beers, Ref. For one, I don't like coffee, and I can only go so dark. My philosophy is if I can't see through it even a little bit, I probably won't like it. Just my tastebuds

dawgs
07-16-2014, 10:20 AM

Absolutely. Spend a month drinking good beer and you'll wonder how you spent all those years drinking crap.

Well I know, it's called being a poor college kid getting wasted every weekend.

But now, I'll occasionally drink cheap beer depending on circumstances, but even if I'm drinking on a hot afternoon at a cookout or tailgating, give me a saison or kolsch or something over bud/millers/coors/pbr.

fishwater99
07-16-2014, 10:20 AM

Heading to 30A Saturday for a week.. Can't wait to drink some better beers.
We are missing so many craft breweries here in MS.
Lagunitas(supposedly coming to MS), Grayton (going to tour the brewery), Dogfish, Oskar Blues, Odells, Bells, Cigar City, Founders, and Stone to name a few.

TheRef
07-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Lagunitas(supposedly coming to MS), Grayton (going to tour the brewery), Dogfish, Oskar Blues, Odells, Bells, Cigar City, Founders, and Stone to name a few.

Lagunitas is already here. Dave's has their IPA on draft.

dickiedawg
07-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Sweetwater coming to MS is great news to me. I don't know if you guys know it but the owners of Lazy Magnolia are State grads and at least a couple of the owners of Lucky Town are State grads so we have some Bulldogs making an impact on the craft beer industry in Mississippi.

I'm not questioning you, but if they are State guys why would they make beers specific to Ole Miss and Hattiesburg but not Starkville? Looks like "Reb Ale" has been rebranded but they still have "Southern Gold" that you can only buy in Hattiesburg.

dawgs
07-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Does ms get any sours? I haven't been back in almost 2 years, so last time I was back, the beer scene was just barely getting going. Sours are all the rage on the left coast.

Also, if you don't like dark beers (porters, stouts), have you tried bourbon barrel aged beers? Those are some of my favorites. Granted they are not summer beers and usually clock in at 10+% alcohol, so you want to split a bottle with a couple of friends.

TheRef
07-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Does ms get any sours? I haven't been back in almost 2 years, so last time I was back, the beer scene was just barely getting going. Sours are all the rage on the left coast.

Also, if you don't like dark beers (porters, stouts), have you tried bourbon barrel aged beers? Those are some of my favorites. Granted they are not summer beers and usually clock in at 10+% alcohol, so you want to split a bottle with a couple of friends.

Lazy Magnolia is releasing a barrel aged beer that is 9.3% alcohol (illegal to sell in the State of MS)

dawgs
07-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Lazy Magnolia is releasing a barrel aged beer that is 9.3% alcohol (illegal to sell in the State of MS)

How much of a premium are y'all willing to pay for some barrel-aged and sour stuff when I come back for a game this fall?

LC Dawg
07-16-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm not questioning you, but if they are State guys why would they make beers specific to Ole Miss and Hattiesburg but not Starkville? Looks like "Reb Ale" has been rebranded but they still have "Southern Gold" that you can only buy in Hattiesburg.

I emailed them about seven years ago and kind of blasted them for this. They (I can't remember exactly who it was) emailed me back fairly quickly and their explanation was that they didn't think Starkville could support a beer just for Starkville and they couldn't rely only on students to buy their beer because of the premium price. I emailed back and told them I would support them but I would never drink a Reb Ale. The sales manager them emailed me and said they appreciate my business and gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him if I ever had a problem with their beer or if I needed help finding their beer.
They later changed Reb Ale to Deep South Pale Ale but left the label red & blue. I guess the colors alone turned people off because they recently discontinued the beer which I find hilarious.

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Crooked letter chocolate stout is the best stout I have ever drank. Just moved to Atlanta so maybe I can hit up a brewery tour of Sweetwater. I have tried a couple and they are good.

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2014, 12:17 PM

I read about them, husband and wife both are engineers. One is mechanical and one chemical.

SheltonChoked
07-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Too bad it's not a craft beer. It's a moulsoncoors product.

hailmari
07-16-2014, 01:27 PM

Lazy Magnolia had a seasonal that was supposedly a sour recently. I don't remember the name or if it's still out, but it was interesting. It had a lemonade twist to it. I don't know if I've ever had any others.

Straight To Ale out of Alabama might be my favorite local microbrewery, fwiw. Monkeynaut IPA and Lily Flag Milk Stout are great.

hailmari
07-16-2014, 01:30 PM

Not anymore. The limit has been moved up to 10%.

If it's Southern Gentleman, it's absolutely great if you like having a whiskey aftertaste from beer. It's Southern Pecan aged in oak barrels.

DudyDawg
07-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Crooked letter chocolate stout is the best stout I have ever drank. Just moved to Atlanta so maybe I can hit up a brewery tour of Sweetwater. I have tried a couple and they are good.

You should. Nice place, can bring a dog and hang outside even. And the beer is great

Vandownbytheriver
07-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Romp is in bottles on the Coast and should be in the Jackson area in the next two weeks. It's a chocolate coffee porter. Best beer made in Mississippi hands down.

Yuengling is hitting Mississippi soon as well. Followed by Southern Tier. I'm not a fan of Sweetwater. Terrapin is where it's at in Georgia.

LC Dawg
07-16-2014, 01:48 PM
Not anymore. The limit has been moved up to 10%.

If it's Southern Gentleman, it's absolutely great if you like having a whiskey aftertaste from beer. It's Southern Pecan aged in oak barrels.

Southern Prohibition Brewery out of Hattiesburg recently tried a barrel-aged barley wine that came out of the barrel at 11.4%. They sent it all to Louisiana because they couldn't sell it in Mississippi. We are still behind on our beer laws but we are light years ahead of where we were just a couple of years ago. Also, I agree on the Southern Gentleman. It's a nicely made beer.

Vandownbytheriver
07-16-2014, 01:48 PM
The limit in Mississippi is now 10.3% ABV. As far as sours go, you can get La Folie, Kriek, and several other Lips of Faith beers. Duchess is here now as well. Yalobusha released a really solid barrel aged milk stout called Testify. I know the guy from Oxford Brewing as well and he's planning on rocking some stouts and saisons once his brewery gets ramped up in Oxford.

dawgs
07-16-2014, 01:53 PM
If any of y'all ever find yourselves on the west coast and have a chance to drink a barley brown's pallet jack ipa, it's hands down the best ipa I've ever had. Despite the name, it is a very smooth ipa that does not in fact jack up your pallet.

Also, if you like sours, you can buy some cascade sours online (not sure on whether ms allows beer to be mailed to your residence though?). The cascades are pricey (think of it like a decent bottle of wine), but arguably the best sour brewery in the country.

TheRef
07-16-2014, 02:17 PM
If any of y'all ever find yourselves on the west coast and have a chance to drink a barley brown's pallet jack ipa, it's hands down the best ipa I've ever had. Despite the name, it is a very smooth ipa that does not in fact jack up your pallet.

Also, if you like sours, you can buy some cascade sours online (not sure on whether ms allows beer to be mailed to your residence though?). The cascades are pricey (think of it like a decent bottle of wine), but arguably the best sour brewery in the country.

Yeah I don't think you're allowed to ship alcohol directly to a residence, if I remember correctly.

TimberBeast
07-16-2014, 04:23 PM

We were in Rosemary about 3 weeks ago and could not find any Dogfish beers, the liquor store next to Publix said the distributor hadn't been able to get them any lately. One of my favorites I tried for the first time on that trip was the Detour Double IPA from Unita, maybe from Salt Lake City. That was delicious.

dawgs
07-16-2014, 04:58 PM
We were in Rosemary about 3 weeks ago and could not find any Dogfish beers, the liquor store next to Publix said the distributor hadn't been able to get them any lately. One of my favorites I tried for the first time on that trip was the Detour Double IPA from Unita, maybe from Salt Lake City. That was delicious.

Before I moved from DC, we went over to the Delaware/Maryland coast and stopped at the dogfish head brewery along the way. Pretty sure they said they were pulling out of some states because they were struggling to meet demand. And they were in the process of nearly doubling their production capacity.

Does ms get deschutes?

DudyDawg
07-16-2014, 05:03 PM
No, I don't think we do. I had my first Deschutes the other night and really liked it. It was the IPA version I think? Can't remember the name but it was very smooth

dawgs
07-16-2014, 05:10 PM
No, I don't think we do. I had my first Deschutes the other night and really liked it. It was the IPA version I think? Can't remember the name but it was very smooth

Of the more widely distributed oregon beers (deschutes, rogue, full sail, ninkasi), deschutes is by far my favorite. Mirror pond pale ale (maybe this is what you had? It's their most commonly found beer) is one of my go to everyday beers, but they also have a ton of rare special releases throughout the year that are great too.

Vandownbytheriver
07-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Of the more widely distributed oregon beers (deschutes, rogue, full sail, ninkasi), deschutes is by far my favorite. Mirror pond pale ale (maybe this is what you had? It's their most commonly found beer) is one of my go to everyday beers, but they also have a ton of rare special releases throughout the year that are great too.

Fresh Squeezed is one of the best IPAs I've had in a long, long time. Red Chair is really tasty as well.

If you're into sours and farmhouse ales, try to get anything from New Glaurus and Jester King. Both make some exceptional wild ales.

hailmari
07-16-2014, 06:29 PM
I've seen the Lips of Faith beers around, I just haven't dished out the cash for one yet.

I really like Yalobusha's IPA. I gotta get after that barrel aged milk stout soon. Sounds great.

dawgs
07-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Fresh Squeezed is one of the best IPAs I've had in a long, long time. Red Chair is really tasty as well.

If you're into sours and farmhouse ales, try to get anything from New Glaurus and Jester King. Both make some exceptional wild ales.

How did I forget about fresh squeezed? I've been drinking the shit out of that this summer.

hailmari
07-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Yeah, Dogfish Head pulled out of TN a few years ago and just recently came back. I've bootlegged some of it and Stone from Memphis a time or two.

Joe Schmedlap
07-22-2014, 06:31 PM

Tell me about Road Trip please. What other beers are comparable to this offering from Sweetwater?

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 06:47 PM

I've never seen Dogfishhead on 30A. I always hit up that public and that liquor store and haven't seen DFH at either.

fishwater99
07-30-2014, 10:04 AM
I've never seen Dogfishhead on 30A. I always hit up that public and that liquor store and haven't seen DFH at either.

The Wine World in Watercolor and the Chan's Wine World next to SanDestin both DFH.
Chan's Wine World next to Publix in SanDestin has the best selection of beer I have seen in that area.

http://chanswineworld.com/

Bullmutt
08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
The Chan's across from Destin Commons just opened a craft beer shop next door to the wine store. Got an e-mail announcement.