PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Quay really should have gone to Ole Miss......

Goat Holder
07-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Was reading nafoom and saw where he's not even at West Georgia anymore. Maybe he should have attended his first love and been a black bear. I'm a big believer in your first instinct being the correct one, and that dude committed to them in like 6th grade. And after we got a glimpse of him, was there any real doubt that he would have fit in better up there? Don't get me wrong, Mullen did a great job recrootin him, but similar to C.J. Johnson.....sometimes you just make stupid choices.

I bet most of these guys, deep down, know where they want to be. And I really believe that 8 times out of 10, you won't reach your potential unless you follow your gut. The ones who don't, flame out. Talking to you Pat Pat. Is this a hard and fast rule? Of course not.

What would have happened if Johnson and Brassell had come to MSU? I bet they'd be superstars by now. Channing Ward probably would have fared better too. Wouldn't be surprised to see more of this type shit in Oxford, especially from guys like Tunsil, who we all know they bought. Believe it or not, I think Nkemdashian and Paidwell really just like Ole Miss. They fit right in with the 'show'.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Quay is a head scratcher.
Ability, smart, nice, etc.

Some guys just dont like football.

TUSK
07-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Was reading nafoom and saw where he's not even at West Georgia anymore. Maybe he should have attended his first love and been a black bear. I'm a big believer in your first instinct being the correct one, and that dude committed to them in like 6th grade. And after we got a glimpse of him, was there any real doubt that he would have fit in better up there? Don't get me wrong, Mullen did a great job recrootin him, but similar to C.J. Johnson.....sometimes you just make stupid choices.

I bet most of these guys, deep down, know where they want to be. And I really believe that 8 times out of 10, you won't reach your potential unless you follow your gut. The ones who don't, flame out. Talking to you Pat Pat. Is this a hard and fast rule? Of course not.

What would have happened if Johnson and Brassell had come to MSU? I bet they'd be superstars by now. Channing Ward probably would have fared better too. Wouldn't be surprised to see more of this type shit in Oxford, especially from guys like Tunsil, who we all know they bought. Believe it or not, I think Nkemdashian and Paidwell really just like Ole Miss. They fit right in with the 'show'.

Or, if Jimmy J had stayed in state...

I'm gonna say (most times) "****ed is, as ****ed up does"... most of the cats we mentioned probably had character flaws that NO coach could overcome... it's sad.

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 08:12 PM
I think changing venues could've helped in some cases. Pat Pat allegedly hit a coach (I think it was him). That's a major issue and is alarming regardless of where he's going to school. OM saved the maroon and white faithful some headaches with that purchase.

I believe CJ would've been better at State and Quay would've probably been happier at OM. I think Brassell would've had a chance at State, but he was reportedly going back and forth to batesville a lot and that where some of his troubles could've come from. CJ is doing well at OM though despite some less than flattering moments on twitter.

Goat Holder
07-15-2014, 08:25 PM
most of the cats we mentioned probably had character flaws that NO coach could overcome... it's sad.

No doubt about it. That's why I mentioned the 8 out of 10. 1 of those is like you describe, and the other is like this:

CJ is doing well at OM though despite some less than flattering moments on twitter.

Guys like Johnson are good enough to overcome loyalties. Tunsil may be like that too, who knows. Cam Newton sure was. Of course JUCO is a different animal.....those guys are 2 years behind the 8-ball and they just want opportunities. They just want to play.

hacker
07-16-2014, 02:00 AM
hey, Goat made a good post

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 02:06 AM
Was reading nafoom

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0Lo9_FKpHqQzFHn1nLoitmnt_1ITjC kh4n-RxNijZeSnBz3u-

AlSwearengen
07-16-2014, 07:27 AM
From the sounds of the different descriptions of Quay, it sounds like he just didn't like football enough to stick with it. You hear that he is smart, nice, etc. I have also heard head case, but that could easily mean that he just didn't care about football. He would probably turn it up and try to succeed, but he would then fall back into his usual habits of not trying hard because football wasn't important to him. olemiss or alabama or wherever would not have changed the outcome. He might have stuck around at olemiss longer, but he probably wouldn't be starting on their line either.

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 07:59 AM
From the sounds of the different descriptions of Quay, it sounds like he just didn't like football enough to stick with it. You hear that he is smart, nice, etc. I have also heard head case, but that could easily mean that he just didn't care about football. He would probably turn it up and try to succeed, but he would then fall back into his usual habits of not trying hard because football wasn't important to him. olemiss or alabama or wherever would not have changed the outcome. He might have stuck around at olemiss longer, but he probably wouldn't be starting on their line either.

he liked what came with football. He didn't LOVE the game enough to work at it and make it his life. He would've been allowed to party with his entourage in Oxford without repercussion and may have "survived" there long enough to get to his Sr season and make a push for a paycheck. That was his only hope IMO. I really wish he would've been able to stick it out until his Sr year just to have a chance to make one push for the league.

thf24
07-16-2014, 08:16 AM
he liked what came with football. He didn't LOVE the game enough to work at it and make it his life. He would've been allowed to party with his entourage in Oxford without repercussion and may have "survived" there long enough to get to his Sr season and make a push for a paycheck. That was his only hope IMO. I really wish he would've been able to stick it out until his Sr year just to have a chance to make one push for the league.

Even if that scenario had played out, if he doesn't love football, I doubt he would have made it out of a pro camp. Definitely wouldn't have made it more than a year in the league.

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 08:20 AM
I agree. I just wish he would've had the chance. Would've liked to have seen him succeed.

FISHDAWG
07-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Even if that scenario had played out, if he doesn't love football, I doubt he would have made it out of a pro camp. Definitely wouldn't have made it more than a year in the league.

maybe so, but you have to admit that he could play ... the times he actually played - he played well

thf24
07-16-2014, 08:52 AM
maybe so, but you have to admit that he could play ... the times he actually played - he played well

More or less the same can be said for Renardo Sidney (just substitute "tried" in place of "played"). Without the desire, there's no long-term for an athlete no matter how talented he is.

hacker
07-16-2014, 09:05 AM

Disagree. Some people just don't care until there's a paycheck involved and then they turn it on. He could still make a practice squad or something next year on pure talent alone and work his way up if it's the paycheck he's after.