PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter's final All-Star game thread

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:23 PM
man I am not a Yankee fan but it sure sucks seeing these great players I've watched my entire adult life retiring. Jeter is one that I'll miss. Special player. The interview he did with Harold Reynolds was awesome. Hearing him talk about "playing hard" was very cool. He is the epitome of cool.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Great minds think alike.... Feel free to delete my threat mods haha.

I seen it dawg
07-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Why are we having to watch the game from the damn Goodyear blimp?

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Wow what an amazing commercial/tribute Jordan/Nike just did for Jeter. Y'all need to be watching this game

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIDO-8pCMAAzkkU.jpg:large

This is the Colorado Rockies scouting report of Jeter in HS. Look at the bottom.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Aaaaand Jeter hits a double. Haha. Gosh this man is gooood at baseball. Heard Cowherd talking about him today, and he said that he wouldn't put Jeter in the 25 best baseball players of all time, but would put him in the top one or two most impactful

TheRef
07-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Aaaaand Jeter hits a double. Haha. Gosh this man is gooood at baseball. Heard Cowherd talking about him today, and he said that he wouldn't put Jeter in the 25 best baseball players of all time, but would put him in the top one or two most impactful

When Jeter came up to bat, Wainwright came off the mound and applauded him. THAT is respect, gentlemen.

Intramural All-American
07-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Did y'all hear the fan yell "OVERRATED" right as he hit the double? Pretty funny.

TheRef
07-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Mike Trout scores Jeter with a opposite field triple off the wall.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:38 PM
And Trout follows Jeter with a triple. A little handing over the reigns there. Excellent find on that draft summary/grade. Scout was right on but those numbers are still way too low so they weren't that on. Miggy just ripped a HR. Fu@king Wainwright

starkvegasdawg
07-15-2014, 07:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIDO-8pCMAAzkkU.jpg:large

This is the Colorado Rockies scouting report of Jeter in HS. Look at the bottom.

Glad to see had no gasses in high school.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Glad to see had no gasses in high school.
Haha I saw that too. Thought it was odd that they pre wrote that slot in there

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
AL might make this a fireworks show. That lineup is sick.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:45 PM
What do you guys think of the multi colored hats?

Also, I wish they wore the All-Star unis they wear in the homerun derby. I see enough white and grey through 162 games, mix it up a little MLB.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Utley has made one hell of a career out of a glorified check swing. I really enjoy watching him hit

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
What do you guys think of the multi colored hats?

Also, I wish they wore the All-Star unis they wear in the homerun derby. I see enough white and grey through 162 games, mix it up a little MLB.

Some of them are cool, the Angels hat and Lester's Red Sox hat are sweet imo. Utley just barely missed a HR there

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Utley has made one hell of a career out of a glorified check swing. I really enjoy watching him hit

Speaking of Utley, Papelbon ruffled some feathers by saying "it's a no-brainer" to waive his no-trade clause to go to a contender. Many took that to be a digg at Utley and Rollins for not letting the Phillies trade them.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Some of them are cool, the Angels hat and Lester's Red Sox hat are sweet imo. Utley just barely missed a HR there

I like the hats too, but I think it's a huge miss by the MLB not to use the special unis for the game. If the argument against it is they want to highlight the teams, then keep the hats and helmets with the team logo. I just think the MLB is making it less about the league and more about the teams, and I think that's a bad strategy

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Lucroy doubles in Utley. 3-2 AL now. Gonna be some offense tonight it looks like. Gomez almost fell down swinging so hard. lol

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Lucroy doubles in Utley. 3-2 AL now. Gonna be some offense tonight it looks like. Gomez almost fell down swinging so hard. lol

I hate Gomez. I just think he's a punk

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
I like the hats too, but I think it's a huge miss by the MLB not to use the special unis for the game. If the argument against it is they want to highlight the teams, then keep the hats and helmets with the team logo. I just think the MLB is making it less about the league and more about the teams, and I think that's a bad strategy

MLB is focusing on selling the caps only. Which is smart imo. They just popped up a logo talking about buying the ASG hats. People are much more willing to spend $30 on a hat instead of $120 on a jersey. They've used special units before and they are usually ugly as hell.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:58 PM
I hate Gomez. I just think he's a punk

Haha I love Gomez. He's one of my keepers in my fantasy league though so that helps a lot. He plays super hard. He is super flashy and can barely speak a lick of English that you can understand but that doesn't stop him from trying. You should watch/listen to one of his intentional talk interviews he's done. He is hilarious and is actually a really nice guy. Just misunderstood. Love Gomez

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Speaking of Utley, Papelbon ruffled some feathers by saying "it's a no-brainer" to waive his no-trade clause to go to a contender. Many took that to be a digg at Utley and Rollins for not letting the Phillies trade them.

Paps is going to be pro-player and anti-franchise the rest of the time he's in Philly. I wish he'd restructure his contract and just go to a team he wants to play for. I'd like to see him do well down the stretch of his career. 300 saves isn't something to sneeze at and he's got a good but of mileage left in the tank.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:59 PM
MLB is focusing on selling the caps only. Which is smart imo. They just popped up a logo talking about buying the ASG hats. People are much more willing to spend $30 on a hat instead of $120 on a jersey. They've used special units before and they are usually ugly as hell.

I know. But my argument is that this game won't boost the sales of a phillies white home jersey significantly, so why not try to sell some specialty unis? Sell the hats too. I just think they are missing a chance to build the league brand a bit more. That's why the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLS all do it. Just another example of the MLB being slow to adapt IMO.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:59 PM
NL will win if they let Kershaw pitch the entire rest of the game

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Paps is going to be pro-player and anti-franchise the rest of the time he's in Philly. I wish he'd restructure his contract and just go to a team he wants to play for. I'd like to see him do well down the stretch of his career. 300 saves isn't something to sneeze at and he's got a good but of mileage left in the tank.

He has like 22 saves and is top 3 in the NL i think with a sub 2 era this year. He can get to 400 saves before he hangs it up. I hope the Giants trade for him. That'd be awesome for me personally.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:03 PM
I know. But my argument is that this game won't boost the sales of a phillies white home jersey significantly, so why not try to sell some specialty unis? Sell the hats too. I just think they are missing a chance to build the league brand a bit more. That's why the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLS all do it. Just another example of the MLB being slow to adapt IMO.

They've already done that multiple times. I am guessing they have done the math and selling 3 million caps is more money than selling 100,000 jerseys or whatever the math is.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 08:16 PM
@darrenrovell: In his final 2 seasons, Bud Selig will have been paid more than LeBron for his upcoming 2 seasons ($42.1M)

This absolutely blew me away.....

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Jeter with a single. 2-2 tonight. Stud

TheRef
07-15-2014, 08:23 PM

Oldest player to have two hits in an All-Star game.

TheRef
07-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Great sendoff done right for Jeter. He wanted it to be over and the game to move on. That's Jeter.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Lucroy putting in early consideration for MVP, probably impossible to beat Jeter for that though

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Heyyyy we just got mentioned. Announcers talking about Palmeiro and said that he went to Mississippi State. Nice

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Heyyyy we just got mentioned. Announcers talking about Palmeiro and said that he went to Mississippi State. Nice

Heard that!! Awesome

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Max Sherzer has wicked eyes. Sad story about his brother. It's what motivates him now. If you get a chance read up on it.

http://i.imgur.com/lWDAmxf.jpg

1998Dawg
07-15-2014, 09:06 PM
awesome mention while talking about Palmeiro!

TheRef
07-15-2014, 09:20 PM
And a CBS News intern is getting fired tonight.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsoZ2ZrCYAAWcZF.jpg

I seen it dawg
07-15-2014, 09:30 PM
And a CBS News intern is getting fired tonight.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsoZ2ZrCYAAWcZF.jpg

Lol no doubt. Head on back to chikfila kid. Better luck next time.

msstate7
07-15-2014, 09:38 PM

On a night that he was honored it wouldn't surprise me if nl pitchers pitched friendly to him.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 10:24 PM
On a night that he was honored it wouldn't surprise me if nl pitchers pitched friendly to him.

Wainwright already told reporters he served one up for Jeter. Controversy has already begun. Not good. This game determines home field for the WS. Not smart to admit it Waino.

THE DAK KNIGHT
07-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Wainwright already told reporters he served one up for Jeter. Controversy has already begun. Not good. This game determines home field for the WS. Not smart to admit it Waino.

Haha that's what I'd say if I let in those runs.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Haha that's what I'd say if I let in those runs.

Erin Andrews already cleared it up with Wainwright. Gawd Erin Andrews is fu@king hott!! I actually met her once. Super nice and even better looking in person without all the caked on makeup.

THE DAK KNIGHT
07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Erin Andrews already cleared it up with Wainwright. Gawd Erin Andrews is fu@king hott!! I actually met her once. Super nice and even better looking in person without all the caked on makeup.

Damn dude you're lucky. A girl that looks that good and can talk sports? That's wife material