PDA

View Full Version : CBB Hijack--Malik Newman

Miss. Stake
07-15-2014, 04:13 PM
So since yesterday 3 247sports columnists just put their crystal ball prediction of Malik Newman to MSU. One is the director of basketball scouting, one is a Duke insider, and one is another recruiting analyst. Anyone know whats changed? This is intriguing..

engie
07-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Zero chance cuz Ray sucks**

Thanks for pointing this out. We've still got work to do here, but it is reassuring to know we're in the game...

curmudgeon
07-15-2014, 04:15 PM
The only thing that saves Rick Ray is signing Newman. College basketball is becoming more like the NBA - its not about the coach so much as it is about the star. There's lots of chatter that it might happen.

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 04:15 PM
So since yesterday 3 247sports columnists just put their crystal ball prediction of Malik Newman to MSU. One is the director of basketball scouting, one is a Duke insider, and one is another recruiting analyst. Anyone know whats changed? This is intriguing..

You talk about flipping the script. If Ray lands Newman....

http://charmcitywire.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Carlton-Dance-GIF.gif

Le Big Mac
07-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Did he just visit or somethin?

engie
07-15-2014, 04:19 PM
If we're going to grab Newman, we really need to do it pretty quickly -- so he can help recruit a couple of guys to come with him.

I really think the "2 year minimum" rule may get done between now and then, which would work tremendously to our advantage...

Todd4State
07-15-2014, 04:20 PM
The only thing that saves Rick Ray is signing Newman. College basketball is becoming more like the NBA - its not about the coach so much as it is about the star. There's lots of chatter that it might happen.

He needs to realize that if he brings his posse to Starkville that they can still win big.

curmudgeon
07-15-2014, 04:21 PM
He needs to realize that if he brings his posse to Starkville that they can still win big.

and someone needs to make sure the Juicy Jumbos are stocked.

Coach34
07-15-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm gonna laugh and laugh if Ray pulls this off

C222
07-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Malik said only 5 schools are recruiting him and Stone as a package deal: UK, NC State, Kansas, UCONN, Miami.

Miss. Stake
07-15-2014, 04:23 PM
If we're going to grab Newman, we really need to do it pretty quickly -- so he can help recruit a couple of guys to come with him.

I really think the "2 year minimum" rule may get done between now and then, which would work tremendously to our advantage...

My thoughts have been that our best shot is if Malik holds out and waits to sign until after December and Ray shows marked improvement in our team. Thus the "you're our missing piece" tactic.

C222
07-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Did he just visit or somethin?

I think the last time he visited was end of last year. Ray visited him a few months ago.

curmudgeon
07-15-2014, 04:28 PM
The son of a former player needs not make an official visit to be considering a school. He has probably been on campus a lot more than some students.

maroonmania
07-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Dang, had already mentally accepted we weren't getting him. Now reading this thread gotta start the process all over again.

Brad Stevens
07-15-2014, 04:38 PM

As will I. And then yell hysterically with utter joy.

Todd4State
07-15-2014, 04:40 PM

I hope he does so I can watch the fallout.

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 04:42 PM
just when I thought I could give up all give a damn about MSU basketball, I get drawn back in.

Coach34
07-15-2014, 04:42 PM
I hope he does so I can watch the fallout.

CoastGeezer and Crew gonna burn down the old folks home if we sign him

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 04:44 PM
just when I thought I could give up all give a damn about MSU basketball, I get drawn back in.

http://i.imgur.com/45WW0wy.gif

Homedawg
07-15-2014, 04:47 PM

I don't think the 2 year minimum rule will be changed until the new collective bargaining agreement goes into effect. Which, I think, is a year too late for Malik but could be wrong.

dawgs
07-15-2014, 04:52 PM

I'd rather have Malik than be Internet right about rick ray.

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Yep

Coach34
07-15-2014, 05:03 PM

not everybody shares your sentiment

BeardoMSU
07-15-2014, 05:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/45WW0wy.gif

Awesome .gif, cadaver!!!

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Awesome .gif, cadaver!!!

Just trying to keep up with gif-King Beardo

BullDog
07-15-2014, 05:16 PM

It's been a minute. But let me remind you RR is the man!

HoopsDawg
07-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Malik knows he can fire up 30 shots a game at MSU. And his dad and uncle detrick want to watch him play.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-15-2014, 05:20 PM
I can already see us at the SECT like this
http://edge.ilpvideo.com/img/2013/06/06/froggy-fresh-dunked-on.png

maroonmania
07-15-2014, 05:21 PM
I believe Rick Ray is a very sharp basketball coach. To me, for him, its all about his ability to get top line players. If he can do that my whole mindset on his ability to be successful at MSU changes.

Todd4State
07-15-2014, 05:22 PM
I just looked at our roster. If he came to MSU, he would have a LOT of seniors surrounding him his freshman year. Gavin Ware, Fred Thomas, Craig Sword, and maybe that Zuppardo guy that Ray just signed. I could see his friend Stone starting for us along with Newman and that would be a pretty solid team.

BullDog
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Laughing? Guys RR IS smarter than you. He knows what he's doing! I'm embarrassed that dawgs claiming TO BE "elite" really are not all that.

MarketingBully01
07-15-2014, 05:33 PM

Why do you say that? I would think MSU fans would be ecstatic if we sign the #1 player in the country. Would be our best player we have ever signed. With that said if he signs Newman, fans would stop bitching and it would give him one more year of leeway with the masses. Actually, it helps Stricklin almost as much as it does Ray from the fans perspective since he is getting two more years no matter what happens.

engie
07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Laughing? Guys RR smarter than you. He knows what he's doing! I'm embarrassed that dawgs claiming "elite" really are not all that.

He's going to laugh because it will likely mean that he's right about Rick Ray while being called a sunshine pumper -- after being right about Rick Stansbury -- and a portion of our fanbase that have sabotaged Ray's every step while slamming coach and still supporting Stansbury heads are going to explode

MarketingBully01
07-15-2014, 05:34 PM
I just looked at our roster. If he came to MSU, he would have a LOT of seniors surrounding him his freshman year. Gavin Ware, Fred Thomas, Craig Sword, and maybe that Zuppardo guy that Ray just signed. I could see his friend Stone starting for us along with Newman and that would be a pretty solid team.

May be the biggest draw IMO. He is only staying one year.

MetEdDawg
07-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Laughing? Guys RR smarter than you. He knows what he's doing! I'm embarrassed that dawgs claiming "elite" really are not all that.

I think he means he's going to be laughing at all of the people who said Rick Ray could never get Newman and that Rick Ray was an awful recruiter. Getting Newman is a bit of a reason to laugh at all of those people who couldn't shut up about how terrible Ray is back during basketball season.

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 05:37 PM

Hahahahaha. "Thank you" would probably be a more appropriate way to address "Coastgeezer and crew" if he goes to State.

smootness
07-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Wow. This is huge news. I'm getting puuuuuuuumped right now.

TexasDawg
07-15-2014, 05:48 PM
If we sign Newman I am all aboard the Ray bandwagon. Automatic tourney team with Malik

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 05:49 PM

Hahahahahaha lol at all y'all so bloodthirsty to be right about Ray. Hahaha this guy has a total of 8 posts and y'all are eating it up faster than Renardo at Barnhills. Newman is listed on 247 as having a 9% chance of going to MSU. Pat down your boners boys. We still only have 12 players and zero transfer-ins after 27 months on the job.

http://247sports.com/Player/Malik-Newman-20985

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Hahahahaha. "Thank you" would probably be a more appropriate way to address "Coastgeezer and crew" if he goes to State.

Exactly. IF, and that's a big IF, Newman comes to State...you can likely thank those boosters that jumped on board, rather than laugh at them.

MetEdDawg
07-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Hahahahahaha lol at all y'all so bloodthirsty to be right about Ray. Hahaha this guy has a total of 8 posts and y'all are eating it up faster than Renardo at Barnhills. Newman is listed on 247 as having a 9% chance of going to MSU. Pat down your boners boys. We still only have 12 players and zero transfer-ins after 27 months on the job.

http://247sports.com/Player/Malik-Newman-20985

That doesn't mean his information isn't accurate, which if you would have checked is. It may be 9%, but that doesn't change the fact that 3 guys, the ones he mentioned, did pick Malik to commit to us yesterday.

The rest of your post is accurate, but don't try and flip this around to show that you are right by trying to discredit someone else's info, which happens to be correct. Getting Malik would be huge and even YOU would have to admit that it would give you at least a little more favorable opinion of Ray going forward.

engie
07-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Exactly. IF, and that's a big IF, Newman comes to State...you can likely thank those boosters that jumped on board, rather than laugh at them.

The funny thing is that Geezer has said none of his group was on board and none of them support Ray. Richard Williams and Ray have been working well together for awhile now -- and many of us have been saying for awhile that he isn't nearly as bad of recruiter as those with a clear agenda have tried to project. Just like Cohen isn't nearly the abrasive asshole that he was projected as for 2 years.

No -- us getting Newman doesn't preclude us from laughing at people that have attempted to sabotage our success -- especially when they were the same people that helped make the baseball rebuild so damn difficult...

engie
07-15-2014, 06:12 PM
That doesn't mean his information isn't accurate, which if you would have checked is. It may be 9%, but that doesn't change the fact that 3 guys, the ones he mentioned, did pick Malik to commit to us yesterday.

The rest of your post is accurate, but don't try and flip this around to show that you are right by trying to discredit someone else's info.

One of which is the director of scouting for 24/7 NATIONAL basketball and the #1 rated basketball CB'er on the site by ALMOST DOUBLE points. The other 2 pundits that predicted him to us? #6 and #11 on all of 24/7. The #6 guy is 21 of 24 thusfar in this class.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Ill be shocked but Wow

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 06:15 PM
The funny thing is that Geezer has said none of his group was on board and none of them support Ray. Richard Williams and Ray have been working well together for awhile now -- and many of us have been saying for awhile that he isn't nearly as bad of recruiter as those with a clear agenda have tried to project. Just like Cohen isn't nearly the abrasive asshole that he was projected as for 2 years.

No -- us getting Newman doesn't preclude us from laughing at people that have attempted to sabotage our success -- especially when they were the same people that helped make the baseball rebuild so damn difficult...

Not sure where baseball came in, but again, you have no way of knowing who all is behind Newman coming to State IF that ever even happens. It COULD be guys like Coastdoglover which is who Coach brought up. So yea, you can laugh all you want, but it could be the very ones that draw in Newman that you're laughing at in the end.

I hope we get him. And I would live nothing more than for cdl and company to be part of what gets him here. And I hope you guys are laughing, bc it means our bball team is getting better.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 06:15 PM

The rest of your post is accurate, but don't try and flip this around to show that you are right by trying to discredit someone else's info, which happens to be correct. Getting Malik would be huge and even YOU would have to admit that it would give you at least a little more favorable opinion of Ray going forward.

Why do this to yourself man? He's not coming here. Know why? CAUSE HE'S A LOCK FOR THE LOTTERY. He's not going to risk that by coming to MSU. Just stop. EngiNe throwing out crap to make Ray look better. Now he can say "look how close Ray was with Newman". Hahahaha y'all are ridiculous

MetEdDawg
07-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Why do this to yourself man? He's not coming here. Know why? CAUSE HE'S A LOCK FOR THE LOTTERY. He's not going to risk that by coming to MSU. Just stop. EngiNe throwing out crap to make Ray look better. Now he can say "look how close Ray was with Newman". Hahahaha y'all are ridiculous

Doesn't matter whether he comes here or not and I'm not getting my hopes up. All I had a problem with was bashing the guy's information even though it was correct. If he doesn't get him, finishing 2nd doesn't matter and won't all of a sudden make me feel like we need to keep him because he got close. There are only two things: get him or don't get him. Not close or almost. He gets graded on whether he got him or not.

Like engie said, the director for national basketball scouting for 24/7 crystal ball picked us to get a commit from Newman. That's news. Guys like that don't just throw out random ass picks for a top 5 guy to a school like MSU. He's going to have some information to back that up, which means we are at least pretty squarely in the game. If he does come here though, you and your Rick's Dicks crowd will have your world rocked because he will have pulled off something you guys said was 100% impossible.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Doesn't matter whether he comes here or not and I'm not getting my hopes up. All I had a problem with was bashing the guy's information even though it was correct. If he doesn't get him, finishing 2nd doesn't matter and won't all of a sudden make me feel like we need to keep him because he got close. There are only two things: get him or don't get him. Not close or almost. He gets graded on whether he got him or not.

Like engie said, the director for national basketball scouting for 24/7 crystal ball picked us to get a commit from Newman. That's news. Guys like that don't just throw out random ass picks for a top 5 guy to a school like MSU. He's going to have some information to back that up, which means we are at least pretty squarely in the game. If he does come here though, you and your Rick's Dicks crowd will have your world rocked because he will have pulled off something you guys said was 100% impossible.

Haha and this board has now talked more about 24/7 bball recruiting news today than it has in every single day of the last year combined. There's your reason MetEdDawg. Newman isn't coming here but nice try on giving Ray some fake cred. The sooner y'all admit what a bunch of us already know we can finally get on with fixing the bullshit in the hump. I'm guessing that will be the year immediately after the baseball palace is finished.

Harrydawg
07-15-2014, 06:32 PM
I have said it before on this board (or SP)...... There are people very close to the situation that say

Malik will be a dawg. Ray will have the last laugh on this one.

engie
07-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Not sure where baseball came in, but again, you have no way of knowing who all is behind Newman coming to State IF that ever even happens. It COULD be guys like Coastdoglover which is who Coach brought up. So yea, you can laugh all you want, but it could be the very ones that draw in Newman that you're laughing at in the end.
Is this is the "let's spin it in a way that those who have (unfairly for the most point at this point) criticized Ray don't have to catch grief" thread?

It would take a shocking change of heart for what you say here to be the case -- something that faction our bluehairs have proven time and again to have a very hard time doing. That obviously doesn't apply to all of them -- but CDL definitely fits that criteria.

We aren't laughing at the people that we've been telling you for awhile are already on board and have made us a legitimate threat here. We're laughing at the ones that are still sabotaging things with their thumbs up their asses. They are two different groups of people.

Now -- if CDL decides he wants to get on board with our current coach -- he'll definitely be welcomed and appreciated. Doesn't mean we won't give him a little grief on the front end because of past stances -- but ultimately, we all(prettymuch) want the same thing.

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Is this is the "let's spin it in a way that those who have unfairly criticized Ray don't have to catch grief" thread?

It would take a shocking change of heart for what you say here to be the case -- something that faction our bluehairs have proven time and again to have a very hard time doing. That obviously doesn't apply to all of them -- but CDL definitely fits that criteria.

We aren't laughing at the people that we've been telling you for awhile are already on board and have made us a legitimate threat here. We're laughing at the ones that are still sabotaging things with their thumbs up their asses. They are two different groups of people.

Now -- if CDL decides he wants to get on board with our current coach -- he'll definitely be welcomed and appreciated. Doesn't mean we won't give him a little grief on the front end because of past stances -- but ultimately, we all(prettymuch) want the same thing.

I'm sure he'll let the almighty Engine know if/when he decides to get on board.

This isn't a post to spin anything (unlike you adding baseball to the discussion for some strange reason). Im simply saying, be careful who you laugh at, because they could very well be behind the Newman decision...even if....gasp....they don't tell you beforehand.

Should have known you would get all defensive when all I did was add to the discussion. Wanna laugh at people that bash Ray on a messageboard, go for it...whatever makes you feel good.

I'm not in either camp, so I felt I could add a little perspective for a different point of view.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 06:40 PM
but ultimately, we all(prettymuch) want the same thing.

No we all don't want to continue paying dead last coaching salaries for dead last basketball results until the baseball palace is finished. Some of us would like some serious money spent on the basketball problem and have it fixed ASAP.

Coach34
07-15-2014, 06:48 PM

After CoastGeezer has repeatedly said Ray cant croot and we wont get Newman- you want me to thank him? Seriously???

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 06:51 PM
After CoastGeezer has repeatedly said Ray cant croot and we wont get Newman- you want me to thank him? Seriously???

If he changes his ways and helps us land Newman....hell yes.

Goat Holder
07-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Just shows how incredibly important this season is. Consider him to be sort of our Nkemdashian. His family probably wants him at MSU, IF they know he can succeed there. If Ray shows he can win this next season, I think we can get him. I said months ago that Ray's early tenure would be graded by Newman. Every coach has that one player who helps them skyrocket if they can land them.

Coach34
07-15-2014, 06:54 PM
If he changes his ways and helps us land Newman....hell yes.

Dawggeezer has done alot for our program over the years- I've always acknowledged that and thanked him for it. But he aint helping us do much of anything right now. I know who is though

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Dawggeezer has done alot for our program over the years- I've always acknowledged that and thanked him for it. But he aint helping us do much of anything right now. I know who is though

Well in that case, I would join you in laughing at him. Hopefully he likes MSU basketball more than a former MSU coach and can finally see the light and start helping. If not, I'm just thankful for whoever has decided to step up.

engie
07-15-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm sure he'll let the almighty Engine know if/when he decides to get on board.
You can bet he will want us to know when he's on board to alleviate the grief he's going to catch IF things work out with Newman. Unless things have changed very recently, he's very far the opposite of "on board".

This isn't a post to spin anything (unlike you adding baseball to the discussion for some strange reason).
Establishing the previous(and thus likely future) patterns of the same blue hairs. That have conveniently forgotten the extent they were against Cohen for the first 4 years -- and you seem to have as well if you aren't getting the analogy...

Im simply saying, be careful who you laugh at, because they could very well be behind the Newman decision...even if....gasp....they don't tell you beforehand.
Ok

Should have known you would get all defensive when all I did was add to the discussion.
How am I defensive?

Wanna laugh at people that bash Ray on a messageboard, go for it...whatever makes you feel good.
I do. A whole bunch of these people have constantly beat me over the head with how we don't have a chance with Newman, while I've constantly argued that we did based on more than a hunch. Pardon me if I want to gloat a bit as evidence begins to emerge that we're squarely in the game for him...

I'm not in either camp, so I felt I could add a little perspective for a different point of view.
You gave your perspective -- I did as well. No big deal. That doesn't mean I'm defensive or anything else.

engie
07-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Exactly

And he'll be welcomed back with open arms when things turn for the better too....

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 07:10 PM
mostly two different groups.

C222
07-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Jerry Meyer knows his stuff. Hope he's right about this one.

TheDogFather
07-15-2014, 07:24 PM

And when others laugh and laugh if he doesn't you'll belittle them.

Intramural All-American
07-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Dawg61 to the rescue to spread his infinite basketball knowledge and to save anyone from being slightly optomistic. So y'all just shutup and listen to him, he is the second most knowledgeable basketball poster on this board.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Dawg61 to the rescue to spread his infinite basketball knowledge and to save anyone from being slightly optomistic. So y'all just shutup and listen to him, he is the second most knowledgeable basketball poster on this board.

No reason to get people all excited for something that isn't going to happen. I don't think that is fair for MSU fans that are hurting right now basketball wise. It's unnecessary really. If Ray wants us to get behind him more he should stop striking out on every single transfer in the college basketball world and maybe add an assistant that will develop better skilled players. We are an SEC school right? Feeding Bulldogs fluffy cred for a player that isn't coming here doesn't help this team. Just sign a damn transfer already. Ain't that tough.

Intramural All-American
07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
The thing is, you have no idea. And I guarantee the national recruiter for 247 has better sources than you do. And why should we be forbidden from excitement? We need a little excitement for the basketball program, and this is a positive development. How you can spin this new info into a negative to slam Ray again is beyond me.

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 07:50 PM
The thing is, you have no idea. And I guarantee the national recruiter for 247 has better sources than you do. And why should we be forbidden from excitement? We need a little excitement for the basketball program, and this is a positive development. How you can spin this new info into a negative to slam Ray again is beyond me.

+1

War Machine Dawg
07-15-2014, 07:51 PM

A-G-E-N-D-A

engie
07-15-2014, 07:53 PM

+2

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:18 PM

It is empty excitement come NSD that ends up turning into disappointment. When I ask you IAA what are your thoughts about building the new softball/tennis complex now with the possibility of the baseball palace being delayed 6 months or whatever it would be you and everyone else most likely would not be for that. Baseball should never get delayed for softball. I agree. Softball coach doesn't but that's not my point. My point is that a lot of the Ray apologists are just wanting extra time added to Ray's clock so that the baseball palace can be finished first before MSU goes spending money on a new basketball hire. So they add time to Ray's "clock" by any and all ways they can because if I ask you the same question about "should basketball take a back seat till baseball is done with the new park" they are concerned that you answer might be "no". This portion of the fan base looks at men's basketball in almost the same light that they do softball or tennis. It is behind in their pecking order to baseball. My argument is that we don't get to make that choice. The competition in men's basketball has made the choice for us. There is no choice. Men's basketball has to be treated as an equal #1 along with football and baseball in order to be successful. It is the only answer. Even though football makes so much more money it does not matter. If you ever in your lifetime want to see a basketball program that is a peer to the annual NCAA tourney participants and top 25 programs you have to understand that our competition has already decided basketball must be treated as an equal. We have zero chance to compete with them till we get that and more importantly DO THAT.

BiscuitEater
07-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Puts State up to 9% of the 33 predictions. Meanwhile UK has 67%.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-15-2014, 08:21 PM
What back seat are you talking about? Baseball has nothing to do with basketball. Funds are completely separate. One has no impact on the other. Take that to the bank.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:26 PM
What back seat are you talking about? Baseball has nothing to do with basketball. Funds are completely separate. One has no impact on the other. Take that to the bank.

How can that be? They are all working under the same umbrella. If MSU invests $100 million into a baseball palace how can they not be resistant to invest $8-10 million in a new basketball hire? It has to be considered together in some way. There must be a pecking order since we don't have Bill Gates checkbook.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Because when they pick up a call to a certain booster for 5 million, said booster will give it for a sport they played. Said booster doesnt care about basketball. There are a lot of said boosters. Raising money for baseball is a problem we dont have.

100 million? We arent the cleveland indians.

Brad Stevens
07-15-2014, 08:32 PM
No reason to get people all excited for something that isn't going to happen. I don't think that is fair for MSU fans that are hurting right now basketball wise. It's unnecessary really. If Ray wants us to get behind him more he should stop striking out on every single transfer in the college basketball world and maybe add an assistant that will develop better skilled players. We are an SEC school right? Feeding Bulldogs fluffy cred for a player that isn't coming here doesn't help this team. Just sign a damn transfer already. Ain't that tough.

So much inconsistency -- where to start?

1. There are three people who get paid to do this who think this will happen, but you say with absolute certainty that "it isn't going to happen." Most people with average IQs can come to the conclusion that it may or may not happen. No man can say with absolute certainty what a 17 year old kid WILL do in a few months.
2. Do you have any evidence that Ray has attempted to sign a transfer? I am not against it - many times it is a good move for a program, but here you go again using phrases like "Ray struck out again" insinuating that he has tried and failed.
3. To remind you from last year, most kids develop their skills long before they become college basketball players. But this point is moot anyway because you proceed and follow it up by asking for transfers. So which is it -- develop players or recruit better transfers?
4. With all your pleas, why would you not welcome the idea of the possibility of gaining a player of the caliber of Malik Newman? He would be exponentially better than a transfer, anyway.
5. I don't know why I continue to have rational conversations about basketball with you, but I do. If Malik does commit and sign with MSU, I promise I will not belittle you. I just ask you let the process play out without hysterically laughing at all predictions you don't agree with like a 6 year old.

msstate7
07-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Puts State up to 9% of the 33 predictions. Meanwhile UK has 67%.

18 of the Kentucky predictions were made in '13.

In '14, Kentucky has 4 with the latest being in April. Kansas has 5 with the latest being in June. During July, uconn and us are tied with 3 a piece. Ours are the last 3

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Because when they pick up a call to a certain booster for 5 million, said booster will give it for a sport they played. Said booster doesnt care about basketball. There are a lot of said boosters. Raising money for baseball is a problem we dont have.

I'm not implying that raising money for baseball is a problem. It clearly isn't. What I am saying is that there is a certain portion of our fan base that doesn't want the MSU fans getting all uppity towards making a new basketball hire till the new ballpark is finished and we are playing actual games on that field. Numbers in dollar amounts being thrown around this site and others is between $60-$100 million for a brand new ballpark that is unlike any other in college baseball that will be the absolute best ballpark in all of college baseball no doubt about it. Just what has been said multiple times.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-15-2014, 08:38 PM
It wont be cloSe to 60 million. It wont even be 50 million. It may be 40 tops.

Brad Stevens
07-15-2014, 08:38 PM
18 of the Kentucky predictions were made in '13.

In '14, Kentucky has 4 with the latest being in April. Kansas has 5 with the latest being in June. During July, uconn and us are tied with 3 a piece. Ours are the last 3

Well what do you know? I'm glad someone can analyze more than one set of numbers and come to a conclusion. Nice job, sir. Listen up, 61 and biscuiteater

Big4Dawg
07-15-2014, 08:39 PM
I've messaged Meyer and asked if he could share what he knows. I'll post his reply.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:40 PM
I'd be ecstatic if we win the Newman lotto and I want MSU to do both by recruiting better transfers AND developing better basketball players. Basketball isn't women's gymnastics where you peak at 16 and can't possibly develop into a better player after high school. Where you get this idea is mind-boggling to me.

engie
07-15-2014, 08:41 PM

It's like he thinks this is a checking account -- and all funds have to be deposited without earmarks or any demand for where it actually goes. It's ignorant -- even for him. Nevermind that this hardcore viewpoint of his is refuting a straw man argument that actually doesn't exist. Ray will be gone when it's time for him to be gone -- and money won't be an issue there either.

When people talk about "let's handle basketball after baseball" -- they are talking about the forthcoming renovation to the Hump, which I suspect will be expensive when the time comes in the future.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-15-2014, 08:45 PM
The hump, even though old, is in great shape. It needs some updates but whoever designed it did a great job. It is still a great facility that can be used for years and years.

messageboardsuperhero
07-15-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm not implying that raising money for baseball is a problem. It clearly isn't. What I am saying is that there is a certain portion of our fan base that doesn't want the MSU fans getting all uppity towards making a new basketball hire till the new ballpark is finished and we are playing actual games on that field. Numbers in dollar amounts being thrown around this site and others is between $60-$100 million for a brand new ballpark that is unlike any other in college baseball that will be the absolute best ballpark in all of college baseball no doubt about it. Just what has been said multiple times.

Where in the hell are you seeing $60-$100 million being thrown around? Now we probably need to spend $40-45 million to do what needs to be done- but I have yet to see anyone say $60 million, let alone $100 million.

TheRef
07-15-2014, 08:47 PM
The hump, even though old, is in great shape. It needs some updates but whoever designed it did a great job. It is still a great facility that can be used for years and years.

And it's shaped just right so that there isn't a bad seat in the house and regardless of how many people are in there or where they are sitting, with enough work the place can get pretty loud.

msstate7
07-15-2014, 08:50 PM
And it's shaped just right so that there isn't a bad seat in the house and regardless of how many people are in there or where they are sitting, with enough work the place can get pretty loud.

How bout ED doing their part this year? The hump was an embarrassment last year. I didn't attend 1 game last year, but I will this season. It's time to actually show some support. I'm sure Malik will be there plenty and an empty hump won't help

TheRef
07-15-2014, 08:52 PM
How bout ED doing their part this year? The hump was an embarrassment last year. I didn't attend 1 game last year, but I will this season. It's time to actually show some support. I'm sure Malik will be there plenty and an empty hump won't help

I'll be there as long as I'm a student. After that, I'm not sure I'll be able to. But while I can, I'll do my part.

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 08:52 PM
I've heard $60M mentioned as a top end number for what they'd like, but I don't think that's realistic. It's certainly not realistic since several people have removed State from their will. I know of a few million that they've lost just because the screwed some of the long term donors out of their seats at DWS in favor of a 1-time promise for $25k. Meanwhile, these folks have all donated 6-figures and more throughout the last 20-30 years.

When y'all hear people say "this football season is huge" when discussing the future of MSU athletics, it's a massive understatement. This season is EVERYTHING. We have to win to get the money flowing like it should from the boosters. Relying too much on the TV money won't separate us from the other schools in conference. It's going to take booster money to do that.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Where in the hell are you seeing $60-$100 million being thrown around? Now we probably need to spend $40-45 million to do what needs to be done- but I have yet to see anyone say $60 million, let alone $100 million.

Does Engie care to link some posts here for you?

engie
07-15-2014, 09:06 PM

I agree that it's in excellent shape for it's age and was well-designed internally -- but it lacks premium options that MSU fans seem to be buying in a mushrooming number and the exterior is beyond dated. It's on the backburner currently with support down -- but when that comes back -- it'll be on the agenda. I believe there's room to renovate in skyboxes between the decks with relative ease, which is the main thing that needs to happen with the interior...

Here's the master plan on the Hump. This is a new East Side Plaza adjacent to the Mize Pavilion to the south. The Master Plan shows a virtual mirror image of this on the West Side, while there isn't room to do much on the north side next to Dudy Noble. I'd be extremely happy with these additions to go along with skyboxes. But we're still talking alot of money here most likely...

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140716-vlqp-15kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140716-vlqp-15kb)
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20140716-9aq4-68kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20140716-9aq4-68kb)

engie
07-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Does Engie care to link some posts here for you?

I don't -- because those posts do not exist.

Every time I click "view post" next to your name, I feel like I get dumber.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I don't -- because those posts do not exist.

Every time I click "view post" next to your name, I feel like I get dumber.

Excellent! That is a feeling you need more of. It'd do you some good.

engie
07-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I've heard $60M mentioned as a top end number for what they'd like, but I don't think that's realistic. It's certainly not realistic since several people have removed State from their will. I know of a few million that they've lost just because the screwed some of the long term donors out of their seats at DWS in favor of a 1-time promise for $25k. Meanwhile, these folks have all donated 6-figures and more throughout the last 20-30 years.

When y'all hear people say "this football season is huge" when discussing the future of MSU athletics, it's a massive understatement. This season is EVERYTHING. We have to win to get the money flowing like it should from the boosters. Relying too much on the TV money won't separate us from the other schools in conference. It's going to take booster money to do that.

My thing is -- IF these are people that are willing to give MSU SEVEN figures upon their passing, what in the hell were they doing balking at $25k to assure they maintain or improve the status of their seats in what could easily be the best year we've ever seen? You are talking 2.5% or less of willed money. Pocket change to that group.

I've heard this line a few times personally myself -- and while I CERTAINLY appreciate their contributions in the past, I find the complaint mostly to be a crock on this. That group was mad about Stans or Strick -- decided to "punish" MSU for it by not pledging to TTF -- rightly got bumped in priority according to guidelines CLEARLY laid out -- and are "taking their ball and going home" now or crying foul about something that was very, very evident -- and that they basically willed on themselves for the most part. A whole bunch of the younger demographic are fired up about their new seats -- and rightly so.

I agree with you that harnessing momentum and not "testing" the loyalty of our "new" base is absolutely paramount though... We've got to continue to grow the base. I'm disappointed that we haven't yet sold out season tickets...

ScottH
07-15-2014, 09:24 PM
It wont be cloSe to 60 million. It wont even be 50 million. It may be 40 tops.

Correct.
Most expensive college park ever - yes.
Above 40 - no way. Just shy of there by 2.5 mill unless something changes.

Brad Stevens
07-15-2014, 09:27 PM
This thread changed quickly. Does anyone have any inside information why the 3 most recent predictions have him to us? That can't be a coincidence. Would be real interesting to see an explanation from those guys on 247.

msstate7
07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
This thread changed quickly. Does anyone have any inside information why the 3 most recent predictions have him to us? That can't be a coincidence. Would be real interesting to see an explanation from those guys on 247.

All 3 were yesterday too. I'd like to know myself

THE DAK KNIGHT
07-15-2014, 09:44 PM
You're correct, it wouldn't be able to affect Newman. But regardless, this guy could be a program changer, even if he's only here for a year. Him playing here then going pro would be a huge sell in recruiting future prospects.

Todd4State
07-15-2014, 09:57 PM

If we get Newman, I'll for sure go to some. Especially with the projected lineup basically being Newman and his posse and a bunch of seniors.

Heck, I'm already hoping that they do a game in Jackson again.

Schultzy
07-15-2014, 10:01 PM
My Crystal Ball says it's gonna be hard for the Agendanistas to watch Ray succeed.

Todd4State
07-15-2014, 10:04 PM
My Crystal Ball says it's gonna be hard for the Agendanistas to watch Ray succeed.

As we saw with Cohen, winning heals a lot of wounds.

Todd4State
07-15-2014, 10:05 PM
It also yields some pretty funny moments- like the people bitching about Cohen cussing in the dugout from their box seats and my personal favorite- Steve Gendron saying Cohen wasn't as good as Polk because he hadn't swept LSU in Baton Rouge.

engie
07-15-2014, 10:21 PM
It also yields some pretty funny moments- like the people bitching about Cohen cussing in the dugout from their box seats and my personal favorite- Steve Gendron saying Cohen wasn't as good as Polk because he hadn't swept LSU in Baton Rouge.

Fire Butch Thompson!11!1!
Fire the hitting coach!!1!1
Fire the 3B coach!1!1
Who is this 1B coach on HGH?!1?

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Fire Butch Thompson!11!1!
Fire the hitting coach!!1!1
Fire the 3B coach!1!1
Who is this 1B coach on HGH?!1?

Yea cause this has to do with men's basketball so much. Cohen was in the NC series though so give Ray a 5 year extension.**

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 10:32 PM
My thing is -- IF these are people that are willing to give MSU SEVEN figures upon their passing, what in the hell were they doing balking at $25k to assure they maintain or improve the status of their seats in what could easily be the best year we've ever seen? You are talking 2.5% or less of willed money. Pocket change to that group.

I've heard this line a few times personally myself -- and while I CERTAINLY appreciate their contributions in the past, I find the complaint mostly to be a crock on this. That group was mad about Stans or Strick -- decided to "punish" MSU for it by not pledging to TTF -- rightly got bumped in priority according to guidelines CLEARLY laid out -- and are "taking their ball and going home" now or crying foul about something that was very, very evident -- and that they basically willed on themselves for the most part. A whole bunch of the younger demographic are fired up about their new seats -- and rightly so.

I agree with you that harnessing momentum and not "testing" the loyalty of our "new" base is absolutely paramount though... We've got to continue to grow the base. I'm disappointed that we haven't yet sold out season tickets...

I can promise you the gentleman who told me this and pulled money from his will could care less about Stans or MSU basketball in general. In fact, his health hasn't allowed him to attend games in several years and he gave his tickets away to his family members until now. He bleeds maroon as much or more than anyone I know and gave up his tickets because of the principle of the situation. Been a BDC member since there was a BDC. It's disheartening and a lot of people feel this way. Most fixed income retired people don't have an expendable 25k in cash year in and year out that they want to spend to keep their current tickets even if they do have a large lump sum available for msu after they pass.

engie
07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
I can promise you the gentleman who told me this and pulled money from his will could care less about Stans or MSU basketball in general. In fact, his health hasn't allowed him to attend games in several years and he gave his tickets away to his family members until now. He bleeds maroon as much or more than anyone I know and gave up his tickets because of the principle of the situation. Been a BDC member since there was a BDC. It's disheartening and a lot of people feel this way. Most fixed income retired people don't have an expendable 25k in cash year in and year out that they want to spend to keep their current tickets even if they do have a large lump sum available for msu after they pass.

The $25k is a one-time pledge payable in $5k installments over 5 years, so it wasn't $25k year in and year out. Like I said -- 0.5% of "willed" per year for 5 years. Couch change. Now -- maybe he decided that his tickets weren't worth that -- which I can't fault when you put a pencil to it. But I don't really see how ANY of that is actuall MSU's fault...

Bottom line -- people with that kind of skin in the game should make a call and set something up. No way MSU doesn't bend over backwards to accommodate people that have that kind of "pledge" in place once they have something in writing. He could have talked to Scott personally easily enough. It would be really easy for MSU to not even know the terms of most of these people's wills -- and for many of these "wills" which I'm sure are constantly used for leverage -- to fall on deaf ears if they don't communicate with MSU and put numbers in front of the people that need to see them.

sbcmortgageman
07-16-2014, 05:01 AM
As we saw with Cohen, winning heals a lot of wounds.

This is the best comment on this whole thread.

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 07:47 AM
The $25k is a one-time pledge payable in $5k installments over 5 years, so it wasn't $25k year in and year out. Like I said -- 0.5% of "willed" per year for 5 years. Couch change. Now -- maybe he decided that his tickets weren't worth that -- which I can't fault when you put a pencil to it. But I don't really see how ANY of that is actuall MSU's fault...

Bottom line -- people with that kind of skin in the game should make a call and set something up. No way MSU doesn't bend over backwards to accommodate people that have that kind of "pledge" in place once they have something in writing. He could have talked to Scott personally easily enough. It would be really easy for MSU to not even know the terms of most of these people's wills -- and for many of these "wills" which I'm sure are constantly used for leverage -- to fall on deaf ears if they don't communicate with MSU and put numbers in front of the people that need to see them.

that's even worse. they dumped on lifetime contributors of 6 figures for a one-time promise of 25k over five years? Out with the old, in with the new, huh? It's the equivalent of kicking all your regulars out of your bar for life because Lebron James wants to party with you one night. Better hope it's a hell of a party and they all want to stay. loyalty amongst the newer age donors isn't what it was with the older crew. Hope they understand that... although with the SEC money coming in I don't know if they have the foresight to understand that it's still booster money that will dictate the arms race within the SEC.

engie
07-16-2014, 08:07 AM
that's even worse. they dumped on lifetime contributors of 6 figures for a one-time promise of 25k over five years? Out with the old, in with the new, huh? It's the equivalent of kicking all your regulars out of your bar for life because Lebron James wants to party with you one night. Better hope it's a hell of a party and they all want to stay. loyalty amongst the newer age donors isn't what it was with the older crew. Hope they understand that... although with the SEC money coming in I don't know if they have the foresight to understand that it's still booster money that will dictate the arms race within the SEC.

It was clearly shown for 2 years in advance EXACTLY what they were going to do. Why should someone be entitled to the best seats in the house because they gave a bunch of money 25 years ago? Fact is -- MSU didn't abandon the group you are talking about -- the group basically decided to abandon MSU. When it needs them most. I'm sure our administration doesn't understand what you are saying -- since they are going on a fundraising tear like we've never seen before -- while you are complaining because of old donors that choose not to give? Look, no one wants to "bump" anyone -- but the rules for the reseating were CLEARLY laid out there. And the younger generation DESERVES THE CHANCE to move up. How much $$ has MSU been leaving on the table by not offering my generation that opportunity?

As for the arms race? I'm sure LSU and Alabama let you keep the best seats in in their stadiums for life if you gave a bunch of money 30 years ago -- while refusing to pledge $5k/yr for 5 years to actually help bring the stadium into the modern era. Loyalty? How would you pretend to know where loyalty among age groups lie?

And the bar analogy is a bad one -- because there isn't a bar in MS that wouldn't shut down for a night for Lebron James.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Back to the Malik Newman topic. Diamond Stone had a recent article where he backed off the package deal stuff. Basically said they're best friends & would love to play with each other but they have to do what's best for each other.

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 08:18 AM
It was clearly shown for 2 years in advance EXACTLY what they were going to do. Why should someone be entitled to the best seats in the house because they gave a bunch of money 25 years ago? Fact is -- MSU didn't abandon the group you are talking about -- the group basically decided to abandon MSU. When it needs them most. I'm sure our administration doesn't understand what you are saying -- since they are going on a fundraising tear like we've never seen before -- while you are complaining because of old donors that choose not to give? Look, no one wants to "bump" anyone -- but the rules for the reseating were CLEARLY laid out there. And the younger generation DESERVES THE CHANCE to move up. How much $$ has MSU been leaving on the table by not offering my generation that opportunity?

As for the arms race? I'm sure LSU and Alabama let you keep the best seats in in their stadiums for life if you gave a bunch of money 30 years ago -- while refusing to pledge $5k/yr for 5 years to actually help bring the stadium into the modern era. Loyalty? How would you pretend to know where loyalty among age groups lie?

And the bar analogy is a bad one -- because there isn't a bar in MS that wouldn't shut down for a night for Lebron James.

We're pissing off the wrong people. If you think that's ok, then so be it... but it will come back to haunt us. And yes, I think the younger generation is going to be less loyal to MSU with their annual donations than the older alumni had been for 30 years.

There's a certain way to reward loyalty and then there's a way to piss all over it. We're about to see round 2 take place with Dudy Noble.

engie
07-16-2014, 08:27 AM
We're pissing off the wrong people. If you think that's ok, then so be it... but it will come back to haunt us. And yes, I think the younger generation is going to be less loyal to MSU with their annual donations than the older alumni had been for 30 years.

There's a certain way to reward loyalty and then there's a way to piss all over it. We're about to see round 2 take place with Dudy Noble.

How can you say the younger generation will be less loyal -- when fundraising is at an all-time high and has been for 5 years now? These people have been giving all this money for so long -- yet we had a terribly dated football stadium, let the palace of Dudy Noble rot, etc? Made Stans raise his own damn money to get a basketball practice facility? There were years Templeton raised under $5mil total in donations.

Yeah round 2 is at Dudy Noble -- and then we will have round 3 at the Hump. Then we can call ourselves a modernized athletics department where everyone is actually getting what they pay for -- and more people have incentive to join the BDC, give what they can, and move up and get better seats. They don't have that opportunity right now at Dudy Noble.

But I'm guessing that a $250, $500, or $1000 payment in 1986 SHOULD continue to entitle people to the best seats at Dudy Noble -- despite only paying $200/yr for tickets and being exempt from ANY yearly PSL on those seats that are actually worth $1500/yr in many cases?

notsofarawaydawg
07-16-2014, 08:29 AM
I think he means he's going to be laughing at all of the people who said Rick Ray could never get Newman and that Rick Ray was an awful recruiter. Getting Newman is a bit of a reason to laugh at all of those people who couldn't shut up about how terrible Ray is back during basketball season.

Back during basketball season? It hasn't stopped since the season ended and won't as long as Rick Ray is the coach. They will never admit their old selves were wrong and that's because their heads are still stuck up Stansbury's ass.

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 08:37 AM
How can you say the younger generation will be less loyal -- when fundraising is at an all-time high and has been for 5 years now? These people have been giving all this money for so long -- yet we had a terribly dated football stadium, let the palace of Dudy Noble rot, etc? Made Stans raise his own damn money to get a basketball practice facility? There were years Templeton raised under $5mil total in donations.

Yeah round 2 is at Dudy Noble -- and then we will have round 3 at the Hump. Then we can call ourselves a modernized athletics department where everyone is actually getting what they pay for -- and more people have incentive to join the BDC, give what they can, and move up and get better seats. They don't have that opportunity right now at Dudy Noble.

But I'm guessing that a $250, $500, or $1000 payment in 1986 SHOULD continue to entitle people to the best seats at Dudy Noble -- despite only paying $200/yr for tickets and being exempt from ANY yearly PSL on those seats that are actually worth $1500/yr in many cases?

the people who kept the lights on during the 70's and 80's and some of 90's when we sucked in football are pretty loyal. we didn't get the influx of money until we started winning (after Croom left) with the younger generation. As Todd says, winning cures all... but I'm worried we've pissed the loyalist off. I think there was a better way to handle it. "We now have more seats to allocate so we're kicking people out of their seats they've been in forever to make more money" doesn't add up. MSU has always prided itself on being more of a family atmosphere than some of the other schools. That's gone, but at least we're admitting it's a big business now and either "pay up or shut up because we don't give a damn about what you've done for our programs historically".

Will it be smart when the people who have made MSU baseball what it is get pushed out of left field because they don't commit 25k over five years?

engie
07-16-2014, 08:48 AM
the people who kept the lights on during the 70's and 80's and some of 90's when we sucked in football are pretty loyal. we didn't get the influx of money until we started winning (after Croom left) with the younger generation. As Todd says, winning cures all... but I'm worried we've pissed the loyalist off. I think there was a better way to handle it. "We now have more seats to allocate so we're kicking people out of their seats they've been in forever to make more money" doesn't add up. MSU has always prided itself on being more of a family atmosphere than some of the other schools. That's gone, but at least we're admitting it's a big business now and either "pay up or shut up because we don't give a damn about what you've done for our programs historically".

Will it be smart when the people who have made MSU baseball what it is get pushed out of left field because they don't commit 25k over five years?

We've pissed off what I believe to be a pretty small percentage of the loyalists -- most of which are already upset about Stans, thus not giving to TTF, thus getting bumped, thus changing wills, etc. And what you said is exactly how a reseating works. Most of them understood our vision and agreed to the stipulations -- and are keeping their seats or moving to new/better ones.

What about the people who have had season tickets for the past 10+ years -- that were split but we now consolidated them? What about all the people that improved their standing in the reseating? Premium seating is premium seating. Just because we made more of it doesn't mean that people should get to keep the old(sideline) forever on the cheap.

If we did what you are implying should have been done here(let people stay in their current seats at current price), you would be leaving FORTY THREE MILLION, SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS on the table JUST IN THE EAST CLUB LEVEL -- just over the next 5 years -- just in TTF funding. Put a pencil to it if you'd like.

That's big boy Athletics Dept money. That's "move MSU forward" money. That's stadium-building money. It's a shame that some of those that helped build the foundation have decided they didn't want to stick around to see the rest of the framework going in...

Johnson85
07-16-2014, 09:08 AM

I think it means exactly that he shouldn't catch any grief on the front end. I don't care if somebody acts like a bitch 4 out of every 5 years (not saying that's CDL), if they give enough money in the 5th year to make up for it they're a-ok with me as long as they are not actively harming MSU, as opposed to simply not giving, which simply makes them like a lot of other alumni. I'm never going to drop even $1000 on a recruit, so anybody that does has my gratitude.

DudyDawg
07-16-2014, 09:11 AM
This is a prime example of why you don't put "hijack" in the threat title.....

maroonmania
07-16-2014, 09:15 AM

They are getting pissed off because they've been spoiled. MSU, unlike a lot of other SEC schools, has had to cater to a lot of fans in the past whether for seats at DWS or grandstand seats at PDS or longtime season ticket holders in basketball because we didn't have a very large fanbase and made promises (like lifetime grandstand seats for baseball) that should have never been made. Yes, moving into the modern world of the way SEC schools operate is going to piss some of those folks off because they had it made in the shade and didn't have to compete with an influx of new fans and corporate dollars. We started the "pissing off" process with the reseating process at the Hump and it certainly is following suit in football and baseball. But its life in the modern big time SEC and as long as we remain competitive and grow the fanbase we will be much better off in the long run even with some older alumni unhappy that they aren't catered to like they were in the old Templeton days and before. And yes, its longer term revenue driven but that is life in the SEC and there is no going back at this point.

Miss. Stake
07-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Wow I have to say, You guys take it to a whole nother level on this board. I made a simple, factual post and have been bashed by my post count and claimed to be leading misinformation by some. Obviously there is still an outside shot of us getting him, but I can't understand some of the extreme pessimism and bashing of Ray and/or our basketball program. Some of you do realize this is a public board that anyone can read right

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 09:17 AM
until those seats don't sell at that price... sort of like what's currently happened. Right now we've kicked people out of their seats for empty seats. We HAVE NOT SOLD OUT, so you may want to recalculate that number in bold. And keep this in mind, this is the most anticipated season potentially in MSU football history, and we haven't sold out with less than 2 months until kick off. We've either got too many seats to build on a construction project that is past schedule or can't sell them at their current price... but yes, everything is fine because at least we're acting like a big boy athletic department.

tcdog70
07-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Is Hack the only one with a Brain? nicely done.

Do I think Ray is pitiful and over his head-- Yes I do. But would love for Him to prove Me wrong, hope we sign Websters Son, Hope , hope we go to the Dance. then I'll be a RR fan. At this point I'm still looking for something He has done to make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Has Oliver Black ever qualified ?

engie
07-16-2014, 09:36 AM
until those seats don't sell at that price... sort of like what's currently happened. Right now we've kicked people out of their seats for empty seats. We HAVE NOT SOLD OUT, so you may want to recalculate that number in bold. And keep this in mind, this is the most anticipated season potentially in MSU football history, and we haven't sold out with less than 2 months until kick off. We've either got too many seats to build on a construction project that is past schedule or can't sell them at their current price... but yes, everything is fine because at least we're acting like a big boy athletic department.

I only presented to you the EAST SIDE CLUB LEVEL in what I said. It is and has been sold out. The $25k is not a requirement for general season tickets, which along with the gridiron is all that's still available. We sold out all of the TTF "seats" in Davis Wade -- and we did it pretty damn quickly.

FORTY.FOUR.MILLION. Just in the 1750 seat east club.
And you are gnashing teeth over 2.5% because those people are gnashing teeth over 2.5%?

TheRef
07-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Wow I have to say, You guys take it to a whole nother level on this board. I made a simple, factual post and have been bashed by my post count and claimed to be leading misinformation by some. Obviously there is still an outside shot of us getting him, but I can't understand some of the extreme pessimism and bashing of Ray and/or our basketball program. Some of you do realize this is a public board that anyone can read right

You haven't been reading this board long have you, buddy? It's pretty much like this all the time. You get used to it and accept it.

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Yea derp derpy derp had no clue again. 9 posts and no clue what you'd start. Derp

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 09:50 AM
I only presented to you the EAST SIDE CLUB LEVEL in what I said. It is and has been sold out. The $25k is not a requirement for general season tickets, which along with the gridiron is all that's still available. We sold out all of the TTF "seats" in Davis Wade -- and we did it pretty damn quickly.

FORTY.FOUR.MILLION. Just in the 1750 seat east club.
And you are gnashing teeth over 2.5% because those people are gnashing teeth over 2.5%?

I don't want another annual report coming out with the title saying "We're in the Black!". I want one that says "We're in the Sugar Bowl." I don't care how much money the athletic department makes off the blood, sweat, and tears of 18-22 year old students. I care about the community of all the people involved and whether our teams win. The business side of college athletics is what's ruining it, but by all means let's just continue to count beans in a jar and make sure that's the only thing that matters. Soon enough we'll be selling seats to corporations only and individuals and alumni and students won't be able to attend because of the cost of he tickets... we're walking a very dangerous line in pricing our fans out of the game and if you don't think that'll hit MSU before it hits LSU, Bama, Auburn, etc... you're sadly mistaken. Overpricing game day at the expense of long term relationships is a TERRIBLE short term business model in damn near any business.

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 09:52 AM
are we going to be able to have new members without people calling them trolls? I don't see what Miss Stake did that we as so bad, but I haven't read all his posts. Is he a hell mongering she devil?

TheRef
07-16-2014, 09:59 AM
are we going to be able to have new members without people calling them trolls? I don't see what Miss Stake did that we as so bad, but I haven't read all his posts. Is he a hell mongering she devil?

I don't see anything that causes him to be thought of as a troll.

engie
07-16-2014, 10:07 AM
So, do you want to do what it takes to compete -- or do you want "the community to keep all of their premium seats together"? Because those are two different contrasting ideals that have been shown over the entirity of our history not to work together.

It's just really odd to me that you are arguing for the abandonment of poor ole MSU -- while championing several of the very foundational ideals of the poor ole MSU mindset...

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 10:11 AM

I haven't called him a troll I just don't buy that he had no clue he'd spark a 7 page long thread by dropping some Newman news on here. I also don't like his username. Just being honest. I find zero humor in the name Miss Stake. That is a troll name. Now I've called him a troll and in case you didn't notice we had a whole bunch of them on here last night. Sorry if I'm not so sure about the one with Mistake for a username.

DudyDawg
07-16-2014, 10:16 AM
I haven't called him a troll I just don't buy that he had no clue he'd spark a 7 page long thread by dropping some Newman news on here. I also don't like his username. Just being honest. I find zero humor in the name Miss Stake. That is a troll name. Now I've called him a troll and in case you didn't notice we had a whole bunch of them on here last night. Sorry if I'm not so sure about the one with Mistake for a username.

In his defense, I doubt he knew it would turn into an argument over football seating and a new baseball stadium cost…..

I also hate that user name

Political Hack
07-16-2014, 10:18 AM
So, do you want to do what it takes to compete -- or do you want "the community to keep all of their premium seats together"? Because those are two different contrasting ideals that have been shown over the entirity of our history not to work together.

It's just really odd to me that you are arguing for the abandonment of poor ole MSU -- while championing several of the very foundational ideals of the poor ole MSU mindset...

the LFL and our baseball program would suggest you can accomplish both, but we'll probably crap on that too in the name of dolla' bills y'all!!!

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 10:23 AM
In his defense, I doubt he knew it would turn into an argument over football seating and a new baseball stadium cost…..

I also hate that user name

Not sure Engine's purpose here with 4 pages of this bullshit. I haven't read any of his posts since page 4.

engie
07-16-2014, 10:42 AM
the LFL and our baseball program would suggest you can accomplish both, but we'll probably crap on that too in the name of dolla' bills y'all!!!

The baseball program is a whole different can of worms than football -- and you already know that.

But, yes, there are going to be a whole bunch of lifetime seatholders removing MSU from their will...

engie
07-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Not sure Engine's purpose here with 4 pages of this bullshit. I haven't read any of his posts since page 4.

To help re-educate people that got dumber after reading your posts.

What's your purpose here? Other than speaking in absolutes on a topic your f'n clueless on?

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 10:52 AM
To help re-educate people that got dumber after reading your posts.

What's your purpose here? Other than speaking in absolutes on a topic your f'n clueless on?

Nobody reads your posts when you go in full Engie mode. Do you realize this yet? You write books and books of text that nobody but you is reading. Congrats. Wall of Text

maroonmania
07-16-2014, 11:00 AM
dropping some Newman news on here.

Even mentioning the word "troll" in this is ridiculous. I mean 3 24/7 credible basketball guys switch their CB prediction for Newman to MSU and you think their is some underlying agenda to starting this thread? That's crap. Now if a guy with 9 posts came on here and said "I have a source that is telling me MSU is getting MSU" then there might be some reason to believe someone was getting their chain yanked but a guy just reported what he saw off the 24/7 recruiting site. And if he hadn't done it someone else would have and they should because its hopeful positive MSU related news whether you want to believe it or not. You can spout over and over we won't get him but you've offered nothing on why anyone should believe you have the inside scoop on the situation other than your perpetual disdain for RR and his hiring.

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Guy starts thread and then doesn't reply in his own thread till the next day. That's odd. Why start a thread and then just leave the site immediately right after? Odd to me but whatever. I am not offering up some secret scoop on Newman. I don't need to. He's ranked top 5 in the country. That means there isn't a shot in hell he's coming to MSU. Ever. Ray loses 2* recruits to Georgia State and Delaware. He hasn't been able to get a single transfer-in after 27 months on the job. You keep on with the "give him a chance" speech though. We'll just keep on sucking ass till y'all finally fu@king see it. Getting real tired of this crowd. Put up with losing losers not me.

maroonmania
07-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Guy starts thread and then doesn't reply in his own thread till the next day. That's odd. Why start a thread and then just leave the site immediately right after? Odd to me but whatever. I am not offering up some secret scoop on Newman. I don't need to. He's ranked top 5 in the country. That means there isn't a shot in hell he's coming to MSU. Ever. Ray loses 2* recruits to Georgia State and Delaware. He hasn't been able to get a single transfer-in after 27 months on the job. You keep on with the "give him a chance" speech though. We'll just keep on sucking ass till y'all finally fu@king see it. Getting real tired of this crowd. Put up with losing losers not me.

Uh, there are times where people actually have obligations in life that don't allow them to monitor and reply on a sports message board. So no, I don't find it odd that someone would not be able to reply back for a while on something even if they started the thread.

Intramural All-American
07-16-2014, 11:36 AM

And this is why you are the worst, most unknowledgeable basketball person on this board. How people actually voted on you being the most knowledgeable poster still baffles me. You don't know a dang thing about this situation, but you will come out swinging with piss and vinegar that you are right. There is not a "crowd" right now. This is not a "pro- Rick Ray" thread that you are acting like it is. Every single MSU fan is slightly intrigued at this recent development, except for you. And that's because you don't know crap about basketball recruiting or basketball in general, and you are blind from hate.

Big4Dawg
07-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Jerry responded to my PM:

Main reasoning is desire to stay close to home and not buying package deal talk.

Miss. Stake
07-16-2014, 12:10 PM

Who's the troll again? Sorry I don't live on the message board. I was wondering if anyone had any info as to why in a 1-2 day span 3 reputable 247sports guys made their crystal ball prediction of Malik Newman to MSU. I guess not. My screen name comes from a joke with my friends. Malik may not and probably not come to MSU, but you have no clue whether he is or not. It is a possibility he will, but yes I am cautiously optimistic. By the way, the number 2 recruit in 2014 is committed to SMU (yes they have Larry Brown, and because of the players choice to go to a new prep school may not be eligible.) Please continue with your wreckless bashing of MSU's basketball coach and program, it helps so much.

Miss. Stake
07-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Jerry responded to my PM:

Interesting. I really do believe that if you are a true one and done it doesn't really matter where you play. NBA drafts on potential a lot of the time. I could be wrong, and data could prove me otherwise, but I just don't see how 1 year of college ball, regardless of where you play, could influence your draft position that much. In fact, it could potentially accentuate your talents more on a non perennial power since you would be the main guy.

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
I am aware of your opinion of me Intramural. You've told it to me 75 times already. You'll like me just fine when we have a winning basketball program. Till then I give two fu@king shits if you like me. You are a golly gee shucks all is gravy type. You'd of been Croom's biggest fan. You buy the bullshit up in bulk and store it in your basement for rainy days so you can break it back open and eat more bullshit while watching Hump Highlight Videos of the baby Giraffe. Has Oliver Black qualified yet? Is Houston able to practice with us yet? Have 2 of the 4 signees been allowed to practice one minute of basketball for MSU yet? Have we filled the spot left open way back in April? Doesn't matter. We had a recruiting website predict Newman to MSU. ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED!!! It's a miracle guys!!! Let's hang a banner in the Hump.

Intramural All-American
07-16-2014, 12:41 PM
I am aware of your opinion of me Intramural. You've told it to me 75 times already. You'll like me just fine when we have a winning basketball program. Till then I give two fu@king shits if you like me. You are a golly gee shucks all is gravy type. You'd of been Croom's biggest fan. You buy the bullshit up in bulk and store it in your basement for rainy days so you can break it back open and eat more bullshit while watching Hump Highlight Videos of the baby Giraffe. Has Oliver Black qualified yet? Is Houston able to practice with us yet? Have 2 of the 4 signees been allowed to practice one minute of basketball for MSU yet? Have we filled the spot left open way back in April? Doesn't matter. We had a recruiting website predict Newman to MSU. ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED!!! It's a miracle guys!!! Let's hang a banner in the Hump.

Huh? You are such an idiot, ha. You are the only person that is turning this thread into something about Ray. I and no one else has said anything about Ray's ability as a coach. You are just too dumb to realize that you are arguing something that no one is arguing with you about.

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Who's the troll again? Sorry I don't live on the message board. I was wondering if anyone had any info as to why in a 1-2 day span 3 reputable 247sports guys made their crystal ball prediction of Malik Newman to MSU. I guess not. My screen name comes from a joke with my friends. Malik may not and probably not come to MSU, but you have no clue whether he is or not. It is a possibility he will, but yes I am cautiously optimistic. By the way, the number 2 recruit in 2014 is committed to SMU (yes they have Larry Brown, and because of the players choice to go to a new prep school may not be eligible.) Please continue with your wreckless bashing of MSU's basketball coach and program, it helps so much.

You started a thread asking a question and then disappeared for 17 hours. Your life is so damn cool that you must immediately log out after posting a thread or else you'd be living on the internet huh? Your user name is Mistake. Not funny. Don't care if it's some joke with your buddies. You need new buddies if you allow them to call Mississippi State "Miss Stake" in front of you and you laugh. Grow a sac. Guess whose the butt end of the joke? MSU. You just compared Rick Ray to Larry Brown. I'll check back in 17 hours to read your response.

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Huh? You are such an idiot, ha. You are the only person that is turning this thread into something about Ray. I and no one else has said anything about Ray's ability as a coach. You are just too dumb to realize that you are arguing something that no one is arguing with you about.

How bout you go back and read the entire first two pages of this thread and then read what you just typed again. Do you read anything else in these threads or just my posts? Brad your girlfriend is getting clingy with me again.

coastdoglover
07-16-2014, 04:31 PM
You are as full of shit as coach34. Nobody has sabotaged anybody and I never said anything about me or anybody else being a group. I did say many folks have never even been approached by Rick Ray. If we sigh Malik, Ray gets the credit no matter how it is done and most people will change their opinion about Ray's recruiting. Why would anybody give Richard Williams any credit for recruiting anybody, he couldn't recruit when he was MSU's head coach. When and if Newman signs with MSU, all MSU fans will be happy. Until then, nothing has changed.

shannondawg
07-16-2014, 04:36 PM
When I first saw this thread. The word "Why" just popped up. I am not in the know by any means, but the last I heard , was that Ray had no money backing, but that has got to have changed, and good for him if it has. (not that its needed for Malik to sign with us)

Now it was brought up earlier about reseating and I was always confused exactly how this new pledge system worked. Wasn't it based on bdc rankings? If so, say I pledged the 25K but have not paid any on it, would my rank increase. On the same token, if I did not pledge would my rank decrease because others pledged but had also not paid toward it?

I passed my bdc legacy on to my daughter and son in law. While they have not contributed at the same level that I have , the ranking has slowly trickled up and last I heard was still mid 40. I don't think he pledged the 25k, but he kept my chairbacks on the westside that I have had since they were installed many years ago, even added two seats to them, for a friend that had them , but had fallen on hard times and would not have been able to retain them otherwise.. So with that in mind, I don't see how the 25k is affecting so many, unless they just weren't taking care of business before that and just using the pledge for an excuse..

coastdoglover
07-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Shannondawg you and Hack are about the only folks posting here who make any sense. The thread went from signing Newman all the way to coach and Engie attacking anybody who has ever disagreed with them. Stricklin has decided to piss on the folks who brought him to the dance based on nothing more than pledges. I know for a fact that a donor was told if he would show them he had a substantial donation for MSU in his will, he would get a higher rating for football seats. I am not sure if that has to be irrevocable or not, but if it isn't, then that is about as dumb as what they did to the longtime supporters in football. Some of those folks are going to simply say, the hell with it, and watch the SEC Network every weekend. God forbid MSU has some bad seasons in football, because Hack is right, a lot of these folks will disappear. Now, to answer Cadever's comments, I have not been approached by anybody to "assist" in Malik's recruitment but I would welcome the signing. I will believe it however, when I see it.

When I first saw this thread. The word "Why" just popped up. I am not in the know by any means, but the last I heard , was that Ray had no money backing, but that has got to have changed, and good for him if it has. (not that its needed for Malik to sign with us)

Now it was brought up earlier about reseating and I was always confused exactly how this new pledge system worked. Wasn't it based on bdc rankings? If so, say I pledged the 25K but have not paid any on it, would my rank increase. On the same token, if I did not pledge would my rank decrease because others pledged but had also not paid toward it?

I passed my bdc legacy on to my daughter and son in law. While they have not contributed at the same level that I have , the ranking has slowly trickled up and last I heard was still mid 40. I don't think he pledged the 25k, but he kept my chairbacks on the westside that I have had since they were installed many years ago, even added two seats to them, for a friend that had them , but had fallen on hard times and would not have been able to retain them otherwise.. So with that in mind, I don't see how the 25k is affecting so many, unless they just weren't taking care of business before that and just using the pledge for an excuse..

smootness
07-16-2014, 07:59 PM
On 247, the things to pay attention to are the trends, not the overall %s. Yes, we're sitting at 9%. But all of the last 3 have been us. There has to be a reason for that, and it has to be at least somewhat credible if the top guy on the site suddenly switched his pick to State.

Those percentages don't mean that they just took a poll of all CB'ers and 91% still think he won't come to State. It just so happens that all of the first 21 CBs were for Kentucky; since then, only one. That means everyone at one point thought he was going to Kentucky, but recently that thought has changed. It was Kansas for a little while, but suddenly people are starting to pick us. That is a very, very good sign. No one can say we won't sign him. Of course, all things considered, it isn't highly likely. But if the top basketball guy on the entire site thinks he'll end up at State, then there's at least a chance.

Coach34
07-16-2014, 08:19 PM
But if the top basketball guy on the entire site thinks he'll end up at State, then there's at least a chance.

The top guy on the recruiting site projected him to State. If this was done about anybody else for any other team- nobody would even doubt it. But because of the Ray hate by many- we have so many "I will believe it however, when I see it."

Bully13
07-16-2014, 08:31 PM
this thread fires me up. God would it be great. 61 and the other guy suck. if we were to pull it off, they would leave or comeback as someone else. I just hope we pull it off.

Brad Stevens
07-16-2014, 08:46 PM
On 247, the things to pay attention to are the trends, not the overall %s. Yes, we're sitting at 9%. But all of the last 3 have been us. There has to be a reason for that, and it has to be at least somewhat credible if the top guy on the site suddenly switched his pick to State.

Those percentages don't mean that they just took a poll of all CB'ers and 91% still think he won't come to State. It just so happens that all of the first 21 CBs were for Kentucky; since then, only one. That means everyone at one point thought he was going to Kentucky, but recently that thought has changed. It was Kansas for a little while, but suddenly people are starting to pick us. That is a very, very good sign. No one can say we won't sign him. Of course, all things considered, it isn't highly likely. But if the top basketball guy on the entire site thinks he'll end up at State, then there's at least a chance.

Good post. The fact you even have to explain that seems unnecessary, but I guess I have learned not to overestimate IQ levels around here.

engie
07-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Good post. The fact you even have to explain that seems unnecessary, but I guess I have learned not to overestimate IQ levels around here.

Exactly.

shannondawg
07-16-2014, 09:08 PM
I believe the only hate on this board is fostered by you , Engie and a few others.

I just don't believe in miracles like I use to.

Dawg61
07-16-2014, 09:20 PM
this thread fires me up. God would it be great. 61 and the other guy suck. if we were to pull it off, they would leave or comeback as someone else. I just hope we pull it off.

Yea I am so sure Ray and his batting average of 0% are going to hit a homerun with Newman. Yup that's definitely going to happen. 24/7 said it.**

shannondawg
07-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Yea I am so sure Ray and his batting average of 0% are going to hit a homerun with Newman. Yup that's definitely going to happen. 24/7 said it.**

Perzackly!

Goat from MSU
07-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Since Ray has been here .these are the players of his that he signed Applewhite and Davis both gone, Daniels and Ndoye could not play due to grades Ready,Borchect,Bloodman played. There a chance Black and Houston may not play due to grades.I know I might be called a Ray Hater . But his track record on getting players well let just say is not steller. I hope Newman comes but I am not holding my breath.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Where is this Houston may not play stuff coming from?

Goat from MSU
07-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Where is this Houston may not play stuff coming from?
What I have been told Black or Houston has not start school yet due to grades .I hope I am wrong on this believe you me.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Yea Houston has been on campus for a couple of weeks. He's in class & working out with the team. Black is just waiting from clearance from the NCAA but considering 2nd term has started he could get it anyday & wouldn't be able to enroll til August.

Goat from MSU
07-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Good , Thanks By the way I did leave out Dunlap and the Juco from Jones .I believe they are on campus now.
Yea Houston has been on campus for a couple of weeks. He's in class & working out with the team. Black is just waiting from clearance from the NCAA but considering 2nd term has started he could get it anyday & wouldn't be able to enroll til August.