PDA

View Full Version : Sept 20 - Oct 11

Statefan
07-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Sept 20 @LSU
Oct 4. Texas A&M
Oct 11. Auburn

A lot of talk on ESPN U as this being the stretch of games that defines what type of season we may have. What is everyone's expectations on this three game stretch and how it defines our season?

DudyDawg
07-15-2014, 11:46 AM
2-1. I think we have a great chance to win all three, but its hard for me to be unbiased and bet on it. 2-1 at the worst

starkvegasdawg
07-15-2014, 11:48 AM
3-0 Outstanding. We're getting ready to have a special season
2-1 Very Good. We're in line for a season we can all be proud of with a NYD bowl
1-2 Far from Ideal. Might could still go to a decent bowl game
0-3 Here we go again. All the preseaon hype just got flushed right down the crapper. We're holding our breath for a Liberty Bowl invite.

Pollodawg
07-15-2014, 11:53 AM
3-0 Outstanding. We're getting ready to have a special season
2-1 Very Good. We're in line for a season we can all be proud of with a NYD bowl
1-2 Far from Ideal. Might could still go to a decent bowl game
0-3 Here we go again. All the preseaon hype just got flushed right down the crapper. We're holding our breath for a Liberty Bowl invite.

This. We need to do no worse than 2-1.

DapperDawg
07-15-2014, 12:06 PM
My guess is 1-2. I'm not becoming a believer until I see Mullen beat one of the big boys. Everything up to that point is just hype.

The Croom Diaries
07-15-2014, 12:15 PM
It's funny to watch these ESPN guys talk about how hard our schedule is because we go to LSU and Alabama but we are rejoicing because we figure to lose those anyway so better to get A&M and Auburn at home and see if we can win them.

We have our usual 5% chance to beat LSU - until it happens I'm just not going to even think we have a shot. The real two games is A&M and Auburn. We've got a bye week prior and if it's going to be a "special" season we need to win both games. That would put us in the driver's seat for 10 wins with the Egg Bowl being the likely decider. 1-1 is acceptable I reckon, and 0-2 will make this board and fanbase collapse on itself from Mullen not being able to win a big game.

MarketingBully01
07-15-2014, 12:59 PM
5% to beat LSU with a Freshman QB and Hill and their two bad ass receivers gone??? Riiiiiiiight.

starkvegasdawg
07-15-2014, 01:02 PM
5% to beat LSU with a Freshman QB and Hill and their two bad ass receivers gone??? Riiiiiiiight.

Delete

MarketingBully01
07-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Delete

What? I'd give our chances of beating LSU 50/50 this year. It's a game we should be able to win and for us to turn the corner we have to win. They don't have Hill at RB which is who single handedly beat us on the ground. They don't have Met and don't have the two receivers who are now in the NFL. This would be the season to beat them even if it is on the road. Heck, they may not beat Wisconsin and if that happens odds will be good we would be favored in that game.
I get the woe is us poor MSU attitude but to put the percentage at 5% is just asinine especially with how many question marks they have.

BulldogBear
07-15-2014, 01:13 PM
My guess is 1-2. I'm not becoming a believer until I see Mullen beat one of the big boys. Everything up to that point is just hype.

I think we're gonna beat TAMU and Auburn and probably lose a close one in B.R. just freakin' because of the 0-14 curse. 0-3 is unacceptable barring just stupid ridiculous amount of injuries. 1-2 and I'll feel like we need to make up for it somewhere else by beating Bama or beating Ole Miss very very very very very very very badly in Oxford... the 45-6 type of win.

preachermatt83
07-15-2014, 01:16 PM
3-0... Only lose will be in Tuscaloosa

starkvegasdawg
07-15-2014, 01:26 PM
What? I'd give our chances of beating LSU 50/50 this year. It's a game we should be able to win and for us to turn the corner we have to win. They don't have Hill at RB which is who single handedly beat us on the ground. They don't have Met and don't have the two receivers who are now in the NFL. This would be the season to beat them even if it is on the road. Heck, they may not beat Wisconsin and if that happens odds will be good we would be favored in that game.
I get the woe is us poor MSU attitude but to put the percentage at 5% is just asinine especially with how many question marks they have.

No, I agree with you Marketing. I deleted my commnet because I had typed something in factually incorrect. I thought that Hill had transferred out and was mentioning that, but then I quickly went back and looked the player up and it was someone else that was a receiver/backup QB. I forgot his name again already.

I think this is our best chance in a loooonnnng time to break the curse of the corndog. If it weren't in Death Valley I would say our odds would be 70/30 to pull the upset. In Death Valley I can't go higher than your 50/50.

BeardoMSU
07-15-2014, 01:28 PM
3-0... Only lose will be in Tuscaloosa

http://www.psychoticscrivener.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/LP4KzEF.gif

The Croom Diaries
07-15-2014, 01:32 PM

I just don't know how anyone can say we have a 50/50 shot to beat a team who we've beat just once in the last 22 seasons, especially when we play them on the road. LSU has kicked us in the face so many times it's not funny. We've been within a touchdown one measly time in the last 14 years. In 1998 we won the West and they went 4-7 but they still raped us 41-6. We've beaten them 3 times in 29 years - they have our number. We don't have a 50% shot under any circumstances.

Cancel out everything I just said about the past and we have a 25-30% chance to beat them. They still have superior talent, and they are at home. What's more, they will have potentially played a 4-quarter game vs. Wisconsin and we have three cupcakes to start the year. If Mullen does his typical play a half and sit I have concerns we'll be ready for a war in Baton Rouge.

If we beat LSU I will wet my pants. But I will not from not until that game claim that we have any chance whatsoever. I've been burned way too many times in this series.

BeardoMSU
07-15-2014, 01:35 PM
I just don't know how anyone can say we have a 50/50 shot to beat a team who we've beat just once in the last 22 seasons, especially when we play them on the road. LSU has kicked us in the face so many times it's not funny. We've been within a touchdown one measly time in the last 14 years. In 1998 we won the West and they went 4-7 but they still raped us 41-6. We've beaten them 3 times in 29 years - they have our number. We don't have a 50% shot under any circumstances.

Cancel out everything I just said about the past and we have a 25-30% chance to beat them. They still have superior talent, and they are at home. What's more, they will have potentially played a 4-quarter game vs. Wisconsin and we have three cupcakes to start the year. If Mullen does his typical play a half and sit I have concerns we'll be ready for a war in Baton Rouge.

If we beat LSU I will wet my pants. But I will not from not until that game claim that we have any chance whatsoever. I've been burned way too many times in this series.

http://www.nkayesel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/pointing.gif

preachermatt83
07-15-2014, 01:39 PM
http://www.psychoticscrivener.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/LP4KzEF.gif

http://imgace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/keep-calm.jpg

maroonmania
07-15-2014, 02:58 PM
It's funny to watch these ESPN guys talk about how hard our schedule is because we go to LSU and Alabama but we are rejoicing because we figure to lose those anyway so better to get A&M and Auburn at home and see if we can win them.

We have our usual 5% chance to beat LSU - until it happens I'm just not going to even think we have a shot. The real two games is A&M and Auburn. We've got a bye week prior and if it's going to be a "special" season we need to win both games. That would put us in the driver's seat for 10 wins with the Egg Bowl being the likely decider. 1-1 is acceptable I reckon, and 0-2 will make this board and fanbase collapse on itself from Mullen not being able to win a big game.

Given the history we could play LSU in Dan Mullen's living room with the LSU players blindfolded and wouldn't have an advantage. The Bama game would be nice to have at home but its really no more disadvantage having to play them on the road than it would be if we flipflopped them with having to go to Auburn.

RAYn_Man
07-15-2014, 03:15 PM
I can't wait for the Auburn game. We pretty much dominated them aside from one drive at their place last year and they went on to win the SEC. I think we take care of business with them this year.

starkvegasdawg
07-15-2014, 03:20 PM
I can't wait for the Auburn game. We pretty much dominated them aside from one drive at their place last year and they went on to win the SEC. I think we take care of business with them this year.

I still say Auburn was an 8 win team that caught so many lucky breaks last season they had to have used up about 100 years worth of luck. Now they may be a much better team this year and come out and win 10-11 games this year. I really don't think they will. Karma catches up to them and they settle in with 7-8 wins.

Covercorner2
07-15-2014, 03:29 PM
I will never understand why people "assume" and think we have next to zero chance to beating a team just based upon recent history. When is the last time we won @ Arkansas? Guess what, we did it last year. LSU isn't going to be all that great, especially early on in the year, and who cares if we haven't beaten them in forever. I'm sure our team doesn't.

codeDawg
07-15-2014, 03:43 PM
I keep saying it, but @LSU is the bellwether. A really exceptional MSU team should win that game, even in Red Stick. They are down a lot of guys and this game is early in the season before they can jell. We're coming in with a deep veteran crew and someone that should be a legend at QB. If we can't get it done there, I don't know that we will be any better than 8-4.

Covercorner2
07-15-2014, 03:51 PM
I keep saying it, but @LSU is the bellwether. A really exceptional MSU team should win that game, even in Red Stick. They are down a lot of guys and this game is early in the season before they can jell. We're coming in with a deep veteran crew and someone that should be a legend at QB. If we can't get it done there, I don't know that we will be any better than 8-4.

Not to mention I think it's a great matchup for us. One would think they are gonna struggle throwing the football with inexperienced QBs and WRs. They should rely on their OL and stable of backs in the running game. I just don't see many teams running the ball well on us this year.

Also, in the past they would stack the box and make us run on them. I don't think they have the defense built for that this year, especially with the loss of their top 2 DTs. Also, we are going to be far from one dimensional this year...

maroonmania
07-15-2014, 05:19 PM
I will never understand why people "assume" and think we have next to zero chance to beating a team just based upon recent history. When is the last time we won @ Arkansas? Guess what, we did it last year. LSU isn't going to be all that great, especially early on in the year, and who cares if we haven't beaten them in forever. I'm sure our team doesn't.

Well, it did take a Whitley strip to stop a late Ark drive and OT to beat a 3 win Arkansas team up there last year so I'm not sure your example inspires a lot of confidence for me. LSU will still be a very good team this year and significantly better than Arkansas was last year.

MarketingBully01
07-15-2014, 05:26 PM

I agree with you code. They will lose that game to Wisconsin and come into our game with 1 loss. With as early as it is, stack the box and make them beat you throwing the ball. As talented as that true freshman RB is, he isn't getting through a stacked line. And remember with Met out last year, Arkansas almost beat them last year at Red Stick so there's that.

MarketingBully01
07-15-2014, 05:27 PM
No, I agree with you Marketing. I deleted my commnet because I had typed something in factually incorrect. I thought that Hill had transferred out and was mentioning that, but then I quickly went back and looked the player up and it was someone else that was a receiver/backup QB. I forgot his name again already.

I think this is our best chance in a loooonnnng time to break the curse of the corndog. If it weren't in Death Valley I would say our odds would be 70/30 to pull the upset. In Death Valley I can't go higher than your 50/50.

Ahh I gotcha. Sorry about that tirade there Stark.

MetEdDawg
07-15-2014, 05:29 PM
The big thing here is we finally have the advantage in spots where they have slaughtered us in the past.

1. Their WRs against our DBs has been hard to watch in recent history. We have the upper hand there this time with a deep group of DBs with experience.

2. A physical OL that ends up wearing our DL and front 7 down. This time we have a nasty DL and some LBs to back them up including McKinney. That's at worst a push but I think advantage us.

3. And lastly they usually have a DL that disrupts a lot of what we do in the trenches. They have lost a lot there over the last two years and we have some experience on the OL to do some damage in the run game and hold off the pass rush for Dak. They will be young and inexperienced here and that gives us an advantage.

843dawg
07-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Lsu- L
TA&M- W
Aub- W
Auburn was a fluke last year and had just as much reason to be in the national title game as Notre Dame the year before. They won a few games off of luck and it showed against Fla State. I'm not taking anything away from fsu. I'm sure they would have gone toe to toe with anyone and could have come out on top.

1998Dawg
07-15-2014, 08:31 PM

THIS x 100. Folks got to start understanding that 1. history will change at some point and 2. that win @ Ark is a program type changing W. The normal fan probably doesn't even realize it but we NEVER win @ark, knocking that monkey off our back now leaves the next history changer, @lsu due up.