PDA

View Full Version : Derek Mason - "We don't believe in redshirting at Vanderbilt."

Big4Dawg
07-14-2014, 04:22 PM
He said that he expects 17-18 freshmen to play. Interesting.

preachermatt83
07-14-2014, 04:24 PM
recruiting tactic that almost always brings early recruiting success but never ends well.

jumbo
07-14-2014, 04:27 PM
yep

Bothrops
07-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Interesting but understandable. Vandy goes 0-8 or 1-7 in the conference this year.

MSUDawg4Life
07-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Wow. Famous last words. He doesn't have the talent or the depth to play straight up with anybody in this conference. If any team needs to redshirt, it's Vanderbilt.

Todd4State
07-14-2014, 04:42 PM
That sounds like something Croom say. It's out of touch with reality.

Coach34
07-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Vandy lost alot of starters last year. Young guys will have to play.

CadaverDawg
07-14-2014, 04:48 PM
"Derek Mason has been fired"

-Vandy in 3-4 years

HoopsDawg
07-14-2014, 04:49 PM
That sounds like something Croom say. It's out of touch with reality.

Yes, that's a very careless statement. If a freshmen can't crack the 2 deep, he needs to redshirt.

thunderclap
07-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Did he also bang his fist on the podium and declare we are going to run the West Coast offense I don't care what anybody says?

Dawg61
07-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Why would you not believe in redshirting? That is a very odd comment. It doesn't matter if you don't believe in it when the other 13 SEC schools do. You have no choice. Well I guess you do have a choice but you're then choosing to get your ass kicked. Vandy has no chance. The talent they sign is already less than the rest and now they will be younger less experienced and not as physically strong as their direct competition. This is suicide. Good luck with that Vandy. Bet you redshirt next year.

CadaverDawg
07-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Did he also bang his fist on the podium and declare we are going to run the West Coast offense I don't care what anybody says?

Yeah, He said "Gulf Coast Offense" though.*

Todd4State
07-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Why would you not believe in redshirting? That is a very odd comment. It doesn't matter if you don't believe in it when the other 13 SEC schools do. You have no choice. Well I guess you do have a choice but you're then choosing to get your ass kicked. Vandy has no chance. The talent they sign is already less than the rest and now they will be younger less experienced and not as physically strong as their direct competition. This is suicide. Good luck with that Vandy. Bet you redshirt next year.

Because he's obviously an idiot. The only team in the SEC that could maybe make that kind of comment is Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, and maybe Texas A&M. And guess what ALL of them do? Redshirt people.

But Vanderbilt....hell no.

I can't figure out why they are so devoid of talent because I thought Vandy was recruiting better under Franklin?

Pollodawg
07-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Vandy gone be Vandy again. 2-10 here they come.

msstate7
07-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Didnt OM play most their freshmen freezes first year?

starkvegasdawg
07-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Why would you not believe in redshirting

He's trying to get as many good recruits as possible that want to play immediately and not work for playing time.

Dawg61
07-14-2014, 08:17 PM
He's trying to get as many good recruits as possible that want to play immediately and not work for playing time.

I mean I get that but from the sounds of it he actually is serious and doesn't believe in redshirting. This isn't the Pac-12. Believe has nothing to do with it. Haha. There is no choice here. And even if he is just saying that to get recruits he just tied himself into actually doing that or everyone else will just point out how he's full of shit to every recruit from then on. He won't last long.

poposay
07-14-2014, 08:18 PM
I like it. Franklin proved you can win at Vandy. And a strong argument can be made that Bama redshirts and then processes you out for younger five star players. If I'm Vandy, I tell those recruits you can play for a good coach with nationwide respect, play early, get an education at damn fine private school for free, and start making money in the NFL sooner.

SDDawg
07-15-2014, 12:26 AM
It's a train wreck waiting to happen, Vandy gone be Vandy again indeed.

Reason2succeed
07-15-2014, 02:05 AM
Derek Mason was unimpressive at his first SEC media day. After the first 100 umms he uttered it was obvious that he does not have the media polish that he needs to follow up James Franklin.

In other news, did y'all see Muschamp looking like a deer caught in the headlights? The look in his eyes spoke volumes. That dude knows he's fired and there is nothing that he can do about it. He is just showing up and collecting a paycheck for as many games as he can make it to this year. Gator nation is going to chomp him up and spit him out a la Ron Zook. Let's start working on Muschamp now as a replacement at DC after the big boys throw big money to Geoff Collins. Just a thought.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 08:38 AM
After the first 100 umms he uttered it was obvious that he does not have the media polish that he needs to follow up James Franklin.

Can not get past all the "uhhh". He must of said it 500 times. Clean it up Mason. Crooked bow tie, metal business cards, no red-shirts and 7 million "uhhh". Derek Mason is going going back back to Cali Cali…in 4 years.

PendingTransaction
07-15-2014, 02:58 PM
It's no surprise that some of you have deemed Mason a failure....same old song. A no coach has "speech ticks" worst than Mullen.

Dawg61
07-15-2014, 03:08 PM
It's no surprise that some of you have deemed Mason a failure....same old song. A no coach has "speech ticks" worst than Mullen.

Bear troll so easy to spot

PendingTransaction
07-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Bear troll so easy to spot

Not a bear. Just stating the obvious. Now you can go back to celebrating the failure of Croom and Joker.

CadaverDawg
07-15-2014, 06:28 PM

The race card? Seriously? Take that shit somewhere else.

msstate7
07-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Not a bear. Just stating the obvious. Now you can go back to celebrating the failure of Croom and Joker.

Why are you accusing him of being racist?

PendingTransaction
07-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Why are you accusing him of being racist?

Sometimes reading between the lines can result in a misreading.