PDA

View Full Version : Let's play a hypothetical game

DistrictDawg92
07-14-2014, 03:11 PM
What would it take between now and the spring of 2016 for Chris Jones to be drafted as the #1 overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft?

TheRef
07-14-2014, 03:15 PM
What would it take between now and the spring of 2016 for Chris Jones to be drafted as the #1 overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft?

Basically dominate the SEC.

Dawg61
07-14-2014, 03:24 PM

He'd have to do something special in a very big game or put up ridiculous numbers to really get the conversation started. After that he would have to dominate even more. Clowney was a 5* out of HS that had already built a big name for himself in the football world and then he had that absolutely sick play vs Michigan in the bowl game that really opened everyone's eyes to the real possibility that he should be the #1 pick. Chris will have to do something very special to open the eyes. It's possible though. He could do something like get 5 sacks vs Bama and win the game basically and that would put him in top 10 pick overall conversation.

BeardoMSU
07-14-2014, 03:37 PM
He'd have to do something special in a very big game or put up ridiculous numbers to really get the conversation started. After that he would have to dominate even more. Clowney was a 5* out of HS that had already built a big name for himself in the football world and then he had that absolutely sick play vs Michigan in the bowl game that really opened everyone's eyes to the real possibility that he should be the #1 pick. Chris will have to do something very special to open the eyes. It's possible though. He could do something like get 5 sacks vs Bama and win the game basically and that would put him in top 10 pick overall conversation.

Agreed. He would need to have a good year, but he needs a statement game (or two) where he lives in the opposing team's back field and essentially does this....
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1503610/rick-james-o.gif

ShotgunDawg
07-14-2014, 03:47 PM
There hasn't been a defensive tackle go as the number 1 overall pick since 1994. So in order for GMs to value Jones as a number 1 overall type impact player, he is either going to need be the best college DT in the past 20 years or prove himself as a lethal DE, a position GMs value as a number 1 pick. Pass rusher!

BeardoMSU
07-14-2014, 04:01 PM
There hasn't been a defensive tackle go as the number 1 overall pick since 1994. So in order for GMs to value Jones as a number 1 overall type impact player, he is either going to need be the best college DT in the past 20 years or prove himself as a lethal DE, a position GMs value as a number 1 pick. Pass rusher!

Yeah, I agree. I'm hoping that the coaches moving him inside last year had more to do with his "rawness" in terms of DE technique and whatnot, so hopefully now that's he's more polished, maybe we'll see him on the outside more.

JDog13
07-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Agreed. He would need to have a good year, but he needs a statement game (or two) where he lives in the opposing team's back field and essentially does this....
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1503610/rick-james-o.gif

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BeardoMSU again.

sigh.

awesome gif f yo couch

BeardoMSU
07-15-2014, 12:51 AM
awesome gif f yo couch

Gracias, Jdog.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltpshw0CLm1qhpxkxo1_500.gif

Reason2succeed
07-15-2014, 02:56 AM
He would need to dominate and intimidate both physically, mentally, and emotionally. He would have to become an OC worst nightmare like Jadeveon was for a while. Also, Mississippi State as a team would have to go to the SEC Championship game to provide the national media exposure and introduce him to NFL fan bases that are not CFB fans. Remember, that JJ Watt was not a #1 pick and he is a beast. He has to prove that he alone can change a game, a season, and a team AND I HOPE LIKE HEAVENS HE DOES!!!

msstate7
07-15-2014, 06:17 AM
No top notch qb or lt available

FISHDAWG
07-15-2014, 08:25 AM

a big determining factor would be who had the #1 pick that year and what their biggest defensive need would be

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 09:19 AM
if he can play inside out in a 4-3 and 3-4 it will damn near double his chances to be taken high. He has to "fit" all teams. Clowney could play in both and that's one of the reasons he was a potential pick at any top 2-3 spots. For example, I think BMac is going to be spotted as an OLB in a 3-4 more so than a 4-3, and I think it's going to take a specific defense to take him off the board... but I also think he's possibly the 1st 3-4 OLB plucked after this year. He's that talented IMO, but those cats who said I was stupid for saying he's a better LB than CJ Johnson when they were coming out of high school may be right. Who knows?

Coach 57
07-15-2014, 09:58 AM
I haven't been around in a while but I'll give my two pennies for what it's worth to the board. I think he's on the RIGHT track as far as a freshman to sophomore. He's garnered media attention by being selected to the accolades he's been added to. And in all honesty he's played WELL verses the big boys (LSU & Bama) which most scouts will REALLY watch. Blowing up an OG Vs USM a scout isn't going to really take notice of, but brutally battering Bama or LSU interior line is a fast track to attention. And honestly he brings something to the table that Clowney doesn't or that most DTs don't. He is so dad gum explosive he can play any technique on the DL. Out him at the 0 his first step is too explosive like JPP from the Giants, put him at the 1 or 2 same result. Place him at the 3 or 4 he's too strong and will throw a TE or OT to the ground. Guys there's NEVER been a talent like this we've seen wear maroon. But again it's really hard to get that #1 pick in today's NFL. Mix in an elite QB not being there, him continuing his assent in development, some good games Vs top tier talent and a nudge from The Lord and this kid can do it.

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 10:37 AM
I haven't been around in a while but I'll give my two pennies for what it's worth to the board. I think he's on the RIGHT track as far as a freshman to sophomore. He's garnered media attention by being selected to the accolades he's been added to. And in all honesty he's played WELL verses the big boys (LSU & Bama) which most scouts will REALLY watch. Blowing up an OG Vs USM a scout isn't going to really take notice of, but brutally battering Bama or LSU interior line is a fast track to attention. And honestly he brings something to the table that Clowney doesn't or that most DTs don't. He is so dad gum explosive he can play any technique on the DL. Out him at the 0 his first step is too explosive like JPP from the Giants, put him at the 1 or 2 same result. Place him at the 3 or 4 he's too strong and will throw a TE or OT to the ground. Guys there's NEVER been a talent like this we've seen wear maroon. But again it's really hard to get that #1 pick in today's NFL. Mix in an elite QB not being there, him continuing his assent in development, some good games Vs top tier talent and a nudge from The Lord and this kid can do it.

Agreed. I don't think the NFL will see him as a 0, but he can play there if needed. His versatility is what makes him so special in my mind. He has, by far, the highest ceiling of any player to ever put on maroon and white... and that may be for any of the big 3 sports too.