PDA

View Full Version : The difference b/t MSU and OM in 2014

BeastMan
07-14-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm putting on my maroon glasses for this and I'm going to tell you why MSU will be better in 2014. I'm bout to get my homer on.

I want to start off talking about offense. Last year MSU was 10th in the SEC in scoring and Ole Miss was 9th. Neither offense was that great in 2013 and had major inconsistencies at key positions, MSU's at QB and OM's on the OL. Both teams enter 2014 with OL questions but I think MSU's is more stable. That said, I think the offenses are just about equal. I think they both move up from bottom half in the SEC to top half. I don't think either will crack top third though.

The biggest difference in MSU and OM is going to be on defense. I like MSU's potential to be top tier SEC unit more and I'll tell you why:
-Last year they finished 5th in the league in scoring defense and return 20 of the top 22 from last year.
-DC Geoff Collins is the man. I think he is a young up-and-comer that will be hard to keep after his year. In his first year he was able to improve from a middle-tier SEC scoring defense to top 5. He will make a huge difference.
-It's all about the front 7. In the SEC, all the teams can move the ball on you between the 20's but when you get inside those, you better be elite up front to stop the run and MSU is borderline elite at DL AND LB. The build of this defense is what you want in the SEC.
-They can get off the field on 3rd down (4th in the SEC in 2013).
- The defense drives the turnover margin train (3rd in the SEC in 2013)

Then you look at the Ole Miss defense
-They finished 7th in the SEC in 2014 but return a a lot of young players.
-DC Dave Wommack is a good but not great DC. He's an old retread coach that isn't going to get the Rebel defense to the top tier with his schemes and play-calling. His name is not a hot one in coaching circles for a reason.
-The Rebels front 7 has major holes behind the front 4. The OM DL is borderline elite but they only have 2 LBs and those guys are very undersized (Bird and Denzel). You can also factor in Shackelford as a wild-card but I'm not sure he can give what he used to due to injuries (I'm actually a really big DT fan. Dude is a warrior). They also utilize husky Tony Connor in the box. This defense is built great for between the 20's because it's athletic but inside the 20 when it turns into a power game, they don't have a proven big package. This is a defense built to make big negative plays or turnovers but not consistently getting stops.
-They were 10th in the SEC in opponent 3rd down conversion b/c they struggle stopping SEC teams in short yardage.
-Honestly, it's not all on the Rebel defense. The offensive scheme they run puts a ton of pressure on the defense. Sometimes the best defense is the offense. Even the uber-talented Auburn team that played for a national title's defense was bottom half in the SEC due largely to the HUNH. If you don't have a 4-year recruiting composite of #8 like they do, it can hurt you (OM is in the 20's). The Ole Miss defense will be hung out to dry by way of coaching philosophy on multiple occasions.

In my eyes it all boils down to the defense. I think MSU will be a better team in 2014 because of the reasons I gave. MSU's unit is not without questions (safety) but when you give me that front 7 MSU has paired with Geoff Collins, that's a recipe for success. I think OM will have a good but wildly inconsistent defense in 2014. They'll play lights out for stretches and then play swiss cheese for stretches. Ultimately, I think they finish about the same spot as last year as far as scoring defense and Dave Wommack will start getting some heat. Rebel fans see all that talent on defense and they know their defense should be better than what it will be in 2014. Mark me down for that.

msstate7
07-14-2014, 11:56 AM
5th in defense even after the lsu debacle... Pretty impressive

mic
07-14-2014, 12:06 PM
1. Defense and defense depth better
2. Coaching staff better
3. We have an "IT" factor Dak
4. Starting OL better
5. Chemistry sounds like is off the charts..

Coach34
07-14-2014, 12:10 PM
We will have a top 3 SEC Defense in 2014. I can't wait to watch

msstate7
07-14-2014, 12:12 PM

If we limit 3 and outs and turnovers, I don't see many teams driving on us.

Bubb Rubb
07-14-2014, 12:32 PM

I remember in 99 when you just knew that teams were done. They were throwing the kitchen sink at us and just couldn't move the football on us. I don't know if we will be at THAT level, but it would be awesome. Our front seven is just as good, maybe even a little better than the 99 defense, but while our corners are good, they aren't shutdown like Smoot and Bean were in 99. I think our secondary will be the difference between being great and being best ever at State. They're definitely going to be fun to watch though.

maroonmania
07-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Speaking of safeties, is Hughes back to 100% or close at this time? I would assume so if he is going to SEC media days. We have Cox and Market that should be good to go and if Hughes is fully back that is 3 safeties I feel good about (even though Cox played CB last year). Who are our others? Deonte Evans and Kivon Coman? Who else?

BeardoMSU
07-14-2014, 12:53 PM
I remember in 99 when you just knew that teams were done. They were throwing the kitchen sink at us and just couldn't move the football on us. I don't know if we will be at THAT level, but it would be awesome. Our front seven is just as good, maybe even a little better than the 99 defense, but while our corners are good, they aren't shutdown like Smoot and Bean were in 99. I think our secondary will be the difference between being great and being best ever at State. They're definitely going to be fun to watch though.

That will hinge entirely on the scheme we put them in. I want to see more bump-n-run from our CB's. I know a lot of that also depends on what kind of pressure we can get with the front 7.

mic
07-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Speaking of safeties, is Hughes back to 100% or close at this time? I would assume so if he is going to SEC media days. We have Cox and Market that should be good to go and if Hughes is fully back that is 3 safeties I feel good about (even though Cox played CB last year). Who are our others? Deonte Evans and Kivon Coman? Who else?

Great to have Cox back at safety. It will be an upgrade from Nickoe because he will be able to play some pass coverage.. He could have a huge year...
Having J Huges back is like having a QB in the defensive backfield..
Our secondary will be our weakest link in the defense.. Just tells you how good our front 7 is because the back 4/5 are going to be very good...

maroonmania
07-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Great to have Cox back at safety. It will be an upgrade from Nickoe because he will be able to play some pass coverage.. He could have a huge year...
Having J Huges back is like having a QB in the defensive backfield..
Our secondary will be our weakest link in the defense.. Just tells you how good our front 7 because the back 4/5 are going to be very good...

True, in most years past, a CB group of Calhoun/Love/Redmond and a S group of Cox/Hughes/Market would be the strength of the defense. And that's not even counting guys like Jiles and Evans that have played a good bit.

Coach34
07-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Just think about this:

ESPN rated both our CB's in the top 10 of the SEC- and we consider our Secondary to be the weakest part of our D

DudyDawg
07-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Just think about this:

ESPN rated both our CB's in the top 10 of the SEC- and we consider our Secondary to be the weakest part of our D

Yep, thats a great encouragement. I think a lot of the reason we think that too is that the secondary isn't a dominant one like our front seven is. So while they were solid and made some plays, they didn't dominate like the front line did, making them seem weaker than they were.

Coach34
07-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Off this starting defense- we could have as many as 8 drafted

War Machine Dawg
07-14-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm going to disagree a little bit. While I think you make a good point about the differences between our Ds, I think the separation will come on offense. I have two major reasons for this:

1) OL. Ours will be solid and as deep as we've had under Mullen. Clausell, Clayborn, Day, Beckwith, and Malone will be an impressive unit. UM's, meanwhile, is questionable at best. They've got Tunsil,who's elite. But they don't have a clue who the RT will be with Golson gone to Auburn. Plus, they have literally no depth. One injury, especially if it were to Tunsil, and they'd be toast.

2) RBs. We all know about our stable of backs. J-Rob, Shump, Griffin will be nasty. We'll see how Aeries Williams factors in, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is a RS. Then there's Holloway as a scatback/change of pace HR threat. We're going to be hell to stop on the ground, especially in short yardage. If you can run the ball and stop the run, you can win a lot of games in the SEC. UM? Who knows who's running the ball for them. Supposedly there's some RS FR they're all hyped about, but I'm not buying it. Every back on the roster other than the mystery RS FR is a scatback. And they lost Jeff Scott, who was better than he's given credit for being. They're going to struggle to run and struggle even more in short yardage. It's going to cost them points in the redzone.

That's why I think we're the better team. We're going to be a physical, nasty team that will beat you up and punk you out. UM is going to be a finesse team, and we all know how finesse teams fare in the SEC. I just don't buy them as a 7-win type of team. Respect the hell out of C34 and his football opinions, but he must be seeing something with them that I'm not. Wish he'd enlighten me. Or he's trolling our BearShark lurkers by building them up and planning on giving them serious hell when they inevitably suck this season.

mic
07-14-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm going to disagree a little bit. While I think you make a good point about the differences between our Ds, I think the separation will come on offense. I have two major reasons for this:

1) OL. Ours will be solid and as deep as we've had under Mullen. Clausell, Clayborn, Day, Beckwith, and Malone will be an impressive unit. UM's, meanwhile, is questionable at best. They've got Tunsil,who's elite. But they don't have a clue who the RT will be with Golson gone to Auburn. Plus, they have literally no depth. One injury, especially if it were to Tunsil, and they'd be toast.

2) RBs. We all know about our stable of backs. J-Rob, Shump, Griffin will be nasty. We'll see how Aeries Williams factors in, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is a RS. Then there's Holloway as a scatback/change of pace HR threat. We're going to be hell to stop on the ground, especially in short yardage. If you can run the ball and stop the run, you can win a lot of games in the SEC. UM? Who knows who's running the ball for them. Supposedly there's some RS FR they're all hyped about, but I'm not buying it. Every back on the roster other than the mystery RS FR is a scatback. And they lost Jeff Scott, who was better than he's given credit for being. They're going to struggle to run and struggle even more in short yardage. It's going to cost them points in the redzone.

That's why I think we're the better team. We're going to be a physical, nasty team that will beat you up and punk you out. UM is going to be a finesse team, and we all know how finesse teams fare in the SEC. I just don't buy them as a 7-win type of team. Respect the hell out of C34 and his football opinions, but he must be seeing something with them that I'm not. Wish he'd enlighten me. Or he's trolling our BearShark lurkers by building them up and planning on giving them serious hell when they inevitably suck this season.

They should be good because they will have a good defense.. But they are an injury or 2 away on offense from a .500 season

PassInterference
07-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Here's one difference between MSU and OM. One of these teams is going to win their 5th Egg Bowl in 6 years.

hailmari
07-14-2014, 03:45 PM
I agree. Their defense will be good (and actually fun to watch IMO), but I just have a really hard time seeing how any decent DC can't gameplan for that offense. They'll get off some nice plays in every game because Treadwell is elite and Bo is solid enough to do so (that TE is a playmaker too), but our ceiling is far and away the higher one offensively.

Unless some linemen and a bruiser RB fall out of the sky for them and Pack surprises everybody and is as good as Treadwell, they ain't scary at all.

BeardoMSU
07-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Here's one difference between MSU and OM. One of these teams is going to win their 5th Egg Bowl in 6 years.

And one of us will look like this at season's end....and they won't be tears of joy
http://gifsoup.com/view/960321/crying-o.gif

BulldogBear
07-14-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm putting on my maroon glasses for this and I'm going to tell you why MSU will be better in 2014. I'm bout to get my homer on....

...The biggest difference in MSU and OM is going to be on defense.

I paired down your post to comment on these two statements. I agree with you that the defense will be the real difference this year. Others bring up some good points and I think we are going to be proud of the "O" this year. It will stand out in MSU history. But where we really have a chance POSSIBLY to stand out and be noticed by the whole conference is on "D."

Your first statement above is the difference between MSU (fans/alums) and Ole Miss (fans/alums) any year. We can admit to maroon glasses. They act like you are missing what's obvious if you don't agree how supercalifragilistic they are.

maroonmania
07-14-2014, 04:26 PM

I just hope we are not overselling in our own minds the level of play we will get from our projected OL starters. OM does at least have one elite OL in Tunsil, we don't really have any. With the projected 5 you gave (and I've yet to see anything official that says Malone is moving over to Tackle) I would say we have 5 pretty solid guys but no elite guys. Our one elite lineman went to the NFL in Gabe Jackson. I remember how our line struggled after losing Sherrod in 2011, I just hope we don't experience the same thing this year after losing Jackson. Right now there is noone on our line that we can have major confidence in to run behind and get a yard or two like Jackson. I'm cautiously optimistic about our OL this coming season but I have less pre-season confidence in that group than any other position group we have.

Coach34
07-14-2014, 04:43 PM
I remember how our line struggled after losing Sherrod in 2011, I just hope we don't experience the same thing this year after losing Jackson.

Our offensive line struggled in 2011 because of injuries and we had to insert Clausell and Day into the starting line-up. Guys that are STILL starting now. Big damn difference

mic
07-14-2014, 04:44 PM
I just hope we are not overselling in our own minds the level of play we will get from our projected OL starters. OM does at least have one elite OL in Tunsil, we don't really have any. With the projected 5 you gave (and I've yet to see anything official that says Malone is moving over to Tackle) I would say we have 5 pretty solid guys but no elite guys. Our one elite lineman went to the NFL in Gabe Jackson. I remember how our line struggled after losing Sherrod in 2011, I just hope we don't experience the same thing this year after losing Jackson. Right now there is noone on our line that we can have major confidence in to run behind and get a yard or two like Jackson. I'm cautiously optimistic about our OL this coming season but I have less pre-season confidence in that group than any other position group we have.

I disagree.. Best OL since CDM has been here.. Plus having Dak at QB instead of Tyler will make a huge difference..
Our depth is going to surprise .. The one position we can't have go down is LT. But that's basically true for ever other school as well

Jacksondevildog
07-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Hopefully we can get off the field on third and long consistently pay

Todd4State
07-14-2014, 04:45 PM
5th in defense even after the lsu debacle... Pretty impressive

Good point. LSU looked like a NFL team that night. It's not like we didn't have them covered, they just made perfect throws and circus catches all night long.

Jacksondevildog
07-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Hopefully we can get off the field on third and long consistently.

Todd4State
07-14-2014, 04:51 PM
A small defense in the SEC like Ole Miss has could struggle against teams like Alabama, LSU, and even Arkansas (yes) that are going to pound on them.

messageboardsuperhero
07-14-2014, 05:04 PM
I disagree.. Best OL since CDM has been here.. Plus having Dak at QB instead of Tyler will make a huge difference..
Our depth is going to surprise .. The one position we can't have go down is LT. But that's basically true for ever other school as well

Having Dak at QB makes our line much better.

messageboardsuperhero
07-14-2014, 05:11 PM
A small defense in the SEC like Ole Miss has could struggle against teams like Alabama, LSU, and even Arkansas (yes) that are going to pound on them.

I clearly remember the UM/Arkansas game from last year. Arkansas had UM on their heels and was running down UM's throat at will, looking to tie the game up. Then dumbass Bret tries to run a trick play and it of corse gets stuffed- giving UM back all the momentum at home.

That game could have gone very differently if Bielema just sticks to the plan. Arkansas's physical running game could give UM some very serious problems in Fayetteville this year- mark that down.

War Machine Dawg
07-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Good point. LSU looked like a NFL team that night. It's not like we didn't have them covered, they just made perfect throws and circus catches all night long.

I've never seen a QB & WRs both "on" like those 3 were that night. It was one of the most impressive offensive displays I've ever seen.

War Machine Dawg
07-14-2014, 06:40 PM
I clearly remember the UM/Arkansas game from last year. Arkansas had UM on their heels and was running down UM's throat at will, looking to tie the game up. Then dumbass Bret tries to run a trick play and it of corse gets stuffed- giving UM back all the momentum at home.

That game could have gone very differently if Bielema just sticks to the plan. Arkansas's physical running game could give UM some very serious problems in Fayetteville this year- mark that down.

No kidding. Bielema got cute and it cost his team a W, most likely.

engie
07-14-2014, 07:26 PM
I remember how our line struggled after losing Sherrod in 2011, I just hope we don't experience the same thing this year after losing Jackson.

You remember that we started a converted DT in his spot, correct? And he went down in game 2 - forcing us to play Clausell too early?

We'd have survived 2011 just fine had we not had OL injuries. OM is sitting in the exact same spot right now that we were in 2011. They have no injuries on the OL, and Cooper their JUCO RT is ready to go, they will be salty all around. Lose either tackle and it's a disaster -- and they are fighting for bowl eligibility in the Egg(actually think that would be a bad scenario for us)...

They've got Wilkins and Akeem Judd(JUCO from Georgia Military) that are bruisers now -- but they are going to find out that having a big back wasn't the problem for them last year -- it was Wallace's inability to take the top off the defense. People are going to 8 in the box 'em to death until they burn someone over the top.

Justin Cox will define our season defensively. Both good or bad. If he's far enough along that he isn't having to think and can play instinctively, he is setup to have a MONSTER year at that spot. His athleticism is off the charts. But if he's having to think, it could really throw things into a tailspin if he isn't showing up with our corners playing underneath. Think Nickoe 2012 here. At least Cox has totally elite athleticism to at least partially mask this...

sandwolf
07-15-2014, 01:14 AM

I tend to agree. Their defense has the potential to be very good. And if not for the loss of Austin Golson, I would probably feel like their offense was going to be at least as good as ours.....but him transferring was such a huge loss for them, and I think it will really take its toll as the season progresses.

Todd4State
07-15-2014, 01:33 AM
You remember that we started a converted DT in his spot, correct? And he went down in game 2 - forcing us to play Clausell too early?

We'd have survived 2011 just fine had we not had OL injuries. OM is sitting in the exact same spot right now that we were in 2011. They have no injuries on the OL, and Cooper their JUCO RT is ready to go, they will be salty all around. Lose either tackle and it's a disaster -- and they are fighting for bowl eligibility in the Egg(actually think that would be a bad scenario for us)...

They've got Wilkins and Akeem Judd(JUCO from Georgia Military) that are bruisers now -- but they are going to find out that having a big back wasn't the problem for them last year -- it was Wallace's inability to take the top off the defense. People are going to 8 in the box 'em to death until they burn someone over the top.

Justin Cox will define our season defensively. Both good or bad. If he's far enough along that he isn't having to think and can play instinctively, he is setup to have a MONSTER year at that spot. His athleticism is off the charts. But if he's having to think, it could really throw things into a tailspin if he isn't showing up with our corners playing underneath. Think Nickoe 2012 here. At least Cox has totally elite athleticism to at least partially mask this...

Fortunately, our DC likes mayhem as opposed to Tampa 2 while rushing three guys with Cherrington at NT, so really it was more like rushing two guys and the world's slowest developing most obvious corner blitz ever with our best CB.

I don't know what the hell Nikoe was doing in 2012. It was almost like they just told him to go somewhere and do something.

Reason2succeed
07-15-2014, 01:57 AM
I agree that our defense should be great but I'm not quite as sold on the DL as others. Sure, Chris Jones is the beast incarnate. If Nick James is who Nick James can be then we are set at DT with good depth but who are the DEs that will consistently put pressure on QBs WITHOUT having to blitz? I feel that our DEs have a lot to prove. I believe they can. I hope they can. But they have to do it.

Who are we expecting to create that pass rush OTHER THAN Chris Jones when he faces double teams?

Todd4State
07-15-2014, 02:15 AM
I agree that our defense should be great but I'm not quite as sold on the DL as others. Sure, Chris Jones is the beast incarnate. If Nick James is who Nick James can be then we are set at DT with good depth but who are the DEs that will consistently put pressure on QBs WITHOUT having to blitz? I feel that our DEs have a lot to prove. I believe they can. I hope they can. But they have to do it.

Who are we expecting to create that pass rush OTHER THAN Chris Jones when he faces double teams?

Preston Smith won the defensive MVP at the Liberty Bowl. He's solid to say the least. I've always like AJ Jefferson. And I do think we will play Jones at DE some as well, probably not as much at DT though.

Reason2succeed
07-15-2014, 02:36 AM
I hope that Preston Smith develops into a monster and that his Liberty Bowl performance can translate to SEC games this year but let's be serious, IT WAS RICE. I'm just saying that our DEs need to step up and produce sacks and hurries. If they do, we will be in for a sweet ride and hopefully it goes through Atlanta.

I seen it dawg
07-15-2014, 06:43 AM

Your post is spot on I believe except for this one glaring mistake. They have Kimchee to handle short yardage...

I seen it dawg
07-15-2014, 06:45 AM

With our experience in the system and talent on defense we should be able to do WAY more as far as scheme goes. That will translate to pressure from all over the defense not just the ends or the D tackle. We won't have to depend on one guy or position.

engie
07-15-2014, 07:40 AM

The guy who has already been our best pass rusher up front for 2 years(although he was used more as a runstopper last year)...

And it's going to take more than double teams to prevent Jones from creating pressure...

FISHDAWG
07-15-2014, 08:33 AM
maybe even Liggins

FISHDAWG
07-15-2014, 08:39 AM
I hope that Preston Smith develops into a monster and that his Liberty Bowl performance can translate to SEC games this year but let's be serious, IT WAS RICE. I'm just saying that our DEs need to step up and produce sacks and hurries. If they do, we will be in for a sweet ride and hopefully it goes through Atlanta.

I understand and agree ... but after watching our DE play last yr I would rather they protect the ends instead of being overly aggressive and crashing inside on every play - ie. - Auburn, we win that game if they don't continuously burn us around the sides

thf24
07-15-2014, 08:40 AM
maybe even Liggins

We can laugh at him all we want, but I can see Liggins potentially being very scary in short yardage situations. A guy that big who is both used to running the ball and is at least serviceable throwing it is the type that can easily turn a 4th and 1 into a 40 yard touchdown.

MadisonDawg
07-15-2014, 09:28 AM
We can laugh at him all we want, but I can see Liggins potentially being very scary in short yardage situations. A guy that big who is both used to running the ball and is at least serviceable throwing it is the type that can easily turn a 4th and 1 into a 40 yard touchdown.

Thats what they have kimdechee for*

gtowndawg
07-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Just think about this:

Good point Coach.

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 10:41 AM

tend to agree with you when looking just at the starting defense and not considering depth. The major difference between us and the bears is the physicality of the teams. We will ground and pound the Pittsburgh Steelers into submission while they flick and float down the field with fairy dust. Captain Bubble Screen and that RB crew can't grind like OUR STATE.

hacker
07-16-2014, 06:23 PM

I can't remember where I read this, but just a few days ago I saw an article that said Cox is looking like a beast in his natural position. And I think one of the players at one of the SEC Media Days gave Cox as one of his top 2 players to watch for on the team. I think I'm remembering that correctly.

RedneckFromTech
07-27-2014, 07:27 AM

My feelings are hurt because MSU has made a mockery of our football program in Oxford.

RC3
07-27-2014, 07:40 AM
How can we make this statement when we were the team that had more trouble with Arkansas as we had to go into overtime to beat them. And I hate to even think back on the LSU game. Especially since ole piss beat the same LSU team with third stringers that annihilated us! And let's not forget the BG and Kentucky scare. I'm still having flashbacks of those games!

Smells fishy.

RedneckFromTech
07-27-2014, 08:27 AM
MSU's dominance over my Rebels is killing me. Now you're out recruiting us too. I can't help but troll EliteDawgs out of obsession and display my feminine douchebaggery

RC3
07-27-2014, 08:39 AM
I'm all for the maroon colored glasses but geez! I think your taking it 21.5 times to far. Pound the Pittsburg Steelers into submission? We're still a college team last I checked. This is the kind of statement the black bears jump on to make us sound like children! I feel really good about our starting DL but I also feel that the bad news bears are a lot deeper then we are! If Chris Jones goes down so does our season! If ditchee goes down they have recruited at such a high level since the Rev Freezus has been there that they are closer to Alabama, IMO, than us. Just take last year when he did go down heck there wasn't a drop off in production as evidenced in the LSU game amount a couple of others. This is where I feel we are behind them as a team because they're pretty much like this all over the field with the exception of the OL. Just taking the blinders off for a minute! Ok, there, now they're back on. I still feel like we're the better team as far as starters go.
Jesus mods. Can it be any more obvious?

msstate7
07-27-2014, 08:59 AM
I'm all for the maroon colored glasses but geez! I think your taking it 21.5 times to far. Pound the Pittsburg Steelers into submission? We're still a college team last I checked. This is the kind of statement the black bears jump on to make us sound like children! I feel really good about our starting DL but I also feel that the bad news bears are a lot deeper then we are! If Chris Jones goes down so does our season! If ditchee goes down they have recruited at such a high level since the Rev Freezus has been there that they are closer to Alabama, IMO, than us. Just take last year when he did go down heck there wasn't a drop off in production as evidenced in the LSU game amount a couple of others. This is where I feel we are behind them as a team because they're pretty much like this all over the field with the exception of the OL. Just taking the blinders off for a minute! Ok, there, now they're back on. I still feel like we're the better team as far as starters go.

Funny you say OM is closer to bama. Didnt you guys get blanked 25-0 there after running your mouths?

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 09:15 AM

"pound the steelers" is the same level of hyperbole as OM using "fairy dust." Do you really think I believe that OM uses fair dust too? it's cometary on the styles of play. I think all the State fans got it.

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Jesus mods. Can it be any more obvious?

no, it can't. he's been evicted.

Todd4State
07-27-2014, 09:30 AM
How can we make this statement when we were the team that had more trouble with Arkansas as we had to go into overtime to beat them. And I hate to even think back on the LSU game. Especially since ole piss beat the same LSU team with third stringers that annihilated us! And let's not forget the BG and Kentucky scare. I'm still having flashbacks of those games!

I can make that statement because:

1. Dak didn't play in the Arkansas game. If he did, it wouldn't have gone to OT. Just like the Egg Bowl wouldn't.

2. Our primary RB last year was Perkins. This year it's Robinson who should have been starting last year IMO anyway. It is what it is. On top of that we have Shumpert who will be getting the number two carries that Robinson got last year, along with Griffin mixed in at FB and Aeries Williams getting the touches that Shumpert did.

3. We scored 26 points on LSU. It wasn't like LSU shut down our offense. The problem was LSU played their best game of the year against us. And who cares what "Ole Piss" did against them? We beat Ole Miss. What each of us did against LSU is irrelevant. I was at the game and I don't remember LSU using their third stringers. Unless Mettenberger and Jarvis Landry were running third string for our game. I do remember Les Miles taking a knee on Ole Miss with five minutes left in the game though.

4. Wait a minute. You're having flashbacks over two games that we won? Really? You do realize that Bowling Green won 10 games last year and went 6-0 against their division in the MAC? Of course not. Because you were watching Ole Miss.

Covercorner2
07-27-2014, 09:39 AM
1. State has the better QB
2. State has more of an "identity" on offense
3. State has the better defense. In particular, against the run, which you must have in the SECW
4. State has more depth
5. State has the better coaching staff
6. State has an easier schedule

It's not rocket science, really

Coach34
07-27-2014, 09:49 AM
I feel really good about our starting DL but I also feel that the bad news bears are a lot deeper then we are! If Chris Jones goes down so does our season! If ditchee goes down they have recruited at such a high level since the Rev Freezus has been there that they are closer to Alabama, IMO, than us.

Chris Jones
Nick James
Kaleb Eulls
PJ Jones
AJ Jefferson

5 0f the top 8 on our DL are 4-star or better. And that doesnt include 2-star Preston Smith that is likely to be drafted. Stupid BearShark

Edited to add- NFL draftScout has Smith rated as the 35th best DE headed into 2014- 21 DE's were drafted last April. He has some work to do but its attainable.

ShotgunDawg
07-27-2014, 09:55 AM
MSU's defense is slightly better than Ole Miss', and the rest of both teams is fairly equal, except for...... The QB position. The biggest difference between Ole Miss and MSU this year is talent level each will starting at QB

Bo is a nice SEC QB, but he simply isn't a game changer like Dak.its really that simple. It doesn't mean that MSU will win at Ole Miss because that's a road game and the team that plays the best will win, but MSU has a higher ceiling.

Ole Miss is the Cincinnati Bengals with Andy Dalton and AJ Green. Pretty good but not scary.

MSU is the Colts with Andrew Luck. Perhaps the talent levels of both Cincinnati an Indianapolis are fairly similar but Indianapolis has a much higher ceiling due to Luck.

Not comparing Dak to Andrew Luck. Using the structure of the two teams to show the comparative difference.

bluelightstar
07-27-2014, 09:59 AM

1. Dak didn't play in the Arkansas game. If he did, it wouldn't have gone to OT. Just like the Egg Bowl wouldn't.

2. Our primary RB last year was Perkins. This year it's Robinson who should have been starting last year IMO anyway. It is what it is. On top of that we have Shumpert who will be getting the number two carries that Robinson got last year, along with Griffin mixed in at FB and Aeries Williams getting the touches that Shumpert did.

3. We scored 26 points on LSU. It wasn't like LSU shut down our offense. The problem was LSU played their best game of the year against us. And who cares what "Ole Piss" did against them? We beat Ole Miss. What each of us did against LSU is irrelevant. I was at the game and I don't remember LSU using their third stringers. Unless Mettenberger and Jarvis Landry were running third string for our game. I do remember Les Miles taking a knee on Ole Miss with five minutes left in the game though.

4. Wait a minute. You're having flashbacks over two games that we won? Really? You do realize that Bowling Green won 10 games last year and went 6-0 against their division in the MAC? Of course not. Because you were watching Ole Miss.

It's also funny that we still outgained 488-339, without our "best" QB for our offense. And people always say we got lucky that Arkansas fumbled near the end of regulation, but seem to forget that Milton fumbled away a sure TD early. On top of that, Arkansas had a bye week; we had Alabama before hitting the road to play Arkansas. They had the perfect storm of events to beat us -- and still couldn't do it.

Coach34
07-27-2014, 10:01 AM
another great point- we outgained UPig by 150 yards and they had an offweek to get ready for us- while playing at home. I had also forgotten about the Milton fumble that cost us a TD

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 11:01 AM
another great point- we outgained UPig by 150 yards and they had an offweek to get ready for us- while playing at home. I had also forgotten about the Milton fumble that cost us a TD

I re-watched that game on HSTV a couple of months ago and got pissed at Mullen all over again for that bullshit. If J-Rob was suspended, fine. But Milton hadn't had a carry in weeks. Shump or Griffin should've been the ones toting the rock in that situation, not Milton. Especially when Ray Charles knows that Milton has fumblitis.

CadaverDawg
07-27-2014, 12:32 PM
My feelings are hurt because MSU has made a mockery of our football program in Oxford.

Oh really, fill this out for your case of butthurt...

http://www.surprisinglysane.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/hurt_feelings_report.jpg

JDog13
07-27-2014, 12:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY

And I'll add one for CJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGQ-ISsDm8M

JDog13
07-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Oh really, fill this out for your case of butthurt...

http://i58.tinypic.com/2gt58iq.jpg

Coach34
07-27-2014, 01:05 PM
bravo JDog

Where'sWaldo
07-27-2014, 01:34 PM
I hate to admit this but our problem in the LSU game last year was scheme. I re watched the game recently and our strategy was to stack the box and force the receivers to beat us. This fed right into their strength and they torched us all night. In hindsight we should have made them beat us with the run game. They were able to pass effectively and with the box stacked they got to the second level with the run game a few times and hit on long run plays. It was a nightmare.

Political Hack
07-27-2014, 02:24 PM
I hate to admit this but our problem in the LSU game last year was scheme. I re watched the game recently and our strategy was to stack the box and force the receivers to beat us. This fed right into their strength and they torched us all night. In hindsight we should have made them beat us with the run game. They were able to pass effectively and with the box stacked they got to the second level with the run game a few times and hit on long run plays. It was a nightmare.

coverage was there. they just beat out guys for the ball.

War Machine Dawg
07-27-2014, 02:42 PM
coverage was there. they just beat out guys for the ball.

Exactly. It wasn't scheme. LSU just had an absolutely perfect day throwing and catching. I've never seen anything like it. Mettenberger put the ball where only his WRs were coming down with it or no one was coming down with it all night. And the 2-3 times it wasn't in the perfect spot, Beckham & Landry just jumped up and flat beat our DBs. Like I said in ACQB from that week, our DBs were step for step with them and had hands all over them all night long. They just out-fought us for it every time. There's a reason all 3 of those players are in the NFL and two were off the board by the end of Round 2. They were a better team last season, as they have been for years.

The good news is that gap is closing. Despite them having the best passing day offensively I've ever seen at any level of football, we still managed to hang in there and give them hell for 3 quarters. Then we just ran out of gas and the ridiculous passing day they were having just became too much. Can't wait for the trip to Baton Rouge this season. We owe them some serious payback and have for a long time. And we might finally have the team to make it happen. But I'm not going to hold my breath on it happening, either. /LSUCurse