PDA

View Full Version : O.T. Advice for trip to Atlanta.

Saltydog
07-14-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm going got Atlanta for the weekend (going to see the KISS/Def Leppard concert @ Lakewood amphitheater Friday night). I've never been to this venue. Is it safe to stay relatively close to there? Where would be a good, safe place to stay? Should I stay further out?

MS_half-step
07-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Go North, there is nothing near the venue and it's a little skeevy.

FISHDAWG
07-14-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm going got Atlanta for the weekend (going to see the KISS/Def Leppard concert @ Lakewood amphitheater Friday night). I've never been to this venue. Is it safe to stay relatively close to there? Where would be a good, safe place to stay? Should I stay further out?

Lakewood is (or at least used to be) pretty cool .... general area isn't so cool ... stay north of there closer to downtown. Areas South of there aren't so cool either but will work if you remain at properties very close to the interstate ... you might want to stay on the West side outside of the perimeter (I-285) such as Douglasville (close to 6-flags) .... downtown you have the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke, College football hall of fame (not sure if that's opened up yet - should be by now) .... more expensive to stay downtown but more to do and it's a short straight shot down I-75 South to Lakewood ....... stay away from Underground Atlanta

Saltydog
07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
nt

FISHDAWG
07-14-2014, 11:13 AM
nt

Buckhead is THE place to stay around here ... from there head south on 400 to I 75/85 south ... approx 20-25 minutes with no traffic ... but make sure the Braves aren't playing at home. If so then add 40 minutes more to the commute or if during a weekday

dickiedawg
07-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Don't go to a Falcons game wearing a visitor's jersey. You will fear for your life leaving the stadium.

EAVdog
07-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Buckhead is a bit of a haul. Midtown is probably a better place to stay, in my opinion. There are lots of great dining and drinking options in Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, East Atlanta etc...

Don't stay near Lakewood. Good rule of thumb don't get a hotel room south of I-20.

My house is south of I-20 ITP in case anyone accuses me of being OTP.

Saltydog
07-14-2014, 01:43 PM
areas in/around Tech.

FISHDAWG
07-14-2014, 02:10 PM
areas in/around Tech.

almost any part of Fulton Co has some unsafe areas (except Norther Fulton) ... Ga Tech has a few questionable areas but I'm sure your interest probably wouldn't take you in that direction (western side of campus) .... Ga Tech is kinda between downtown & midtown .... Eavdog was right about midtown- nice amenities there close enough for walking to without having worry about the car or parking, ect. For the record, Marta (transit system) is functional but I really dont care for it

Dawghouse
07-14-2014, 02:20 PM
For the record, Marta (transit system) is functional but I really dont care for it

But can you imagine the experience of riding marta right after a KISS/Def Leppard concert? That might be worth the ride. Does marta stop at Lakewood? That's be your best bet. Find a hotel in buckhead/mid town, leave your car at the hotel, walk to martaand take marta down. Then ride that bitch back up after the concert. Won't be any less safe than actually being at a KISS Def Leppard concert. No worries about having a DD, cheaper on gas, no traffic to deal with. That's the route I'd take anyway.

Political Hack
07-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Buckhead is a bit of a haul. Midtown is probably a better place to stay, in my opinion. There are lots of great dining and drinking options in Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, East Atlanta etc...

Don't stay near Lakewood. Good rule of thumb don't get a hotel room south of I-20.

this a million times over. VaHighlands & little five points for restaurants/bars/nightlife. You can go see the original Darkhorse Tavern in the highlands.

Bothrops
07-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Marta stops at Lakewood/Fort McPherson. I saw Metallica and Jerry Cantrell at Lakewood in the summer of '98, and nearly melted in the searing heat. Be prepared for that! I rode with a friend and it wasn't too hard getting back to the interstate, but once on, it was awful-typical Atlanta. I would definitely take the Marta if I were going to Lakewood again. There will be lots of concert goers riding Marta and should be an absolute freak show. Plus, avoid driving in Atlanta if at all possible.

FISHDAWG
07-14-2014, 08:09 PM
I think they have bus routes that go there but no rail service that I know of

Goat Holder
07-14-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm jealous, I wanted to go to that concert. Watched a DL concert on TV the other night and got fired up

Saltydog
07-14-2014, 08:17 PM
get to see these bands tour. Kiss appears to be packing it in and selling out exclusively to Vegas. I haven't seen Leppard since seeing them at the Mid South Coliseum in '87 when I was in college. Can't believe they're warming up for Kiss.

codeDawg
07-15-2014, 08:37 AM

What this guy says. There is a ton to eat and drink in mid-town and lots of nice places to stay.

Buckhead is far away, overcrowded, and lame. That is unless you are looking to eat at Cheesecake Factory.

FISHDAWG
07-15-2014, 08:41 AM
What this guy says. There is a ton to eat and drink in mid-town and lots of nice places to stay.

Buckhead is far away, overcrowded, and lame. That is unless you are looking to eat at Cheesecake Factory.

that just isn't so unless you are over 60 yrs old ... Buckhead is only 10 minutes from Midtown

Bothrops
07-15-2014, 11:57 AM
I think they have bus routes that go there but no rail service that I know of

Lakewood is a rail station for Marta.

FISHDAWG
07-15-2014, 12:04 PM
so a bus from the station to the amphitheater wouldn't be bad at all ....... if they are running enough trains - that's always the question

Political Hack
07-15-2014, 12:08 PM
that just isn't so unless you are over 60 yrs old ... Buckhead is only 10 minutes from Midtown

I like the older section of buck head with the theatre and all that, but it is overly commercialized right around the mall. It's still a lot lf fun to go grab dinner at the tree house and then bar hoo the strip near buckhead theatre though.