PDA

View Full Version : Saints guy interviewed Dakota at the Manning Camp

Coach34
07-13-2014, 11:47 AM
http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/news-manning-passing-academy-mike-detillier-326273/#.U8JnWlgcqUQ.twitter

One-on-One with Dak Prescott

I spoke to Mississippi State quarterback Dakota "Dak" Prescott on his recruitment to Mississippi State, dealing with injuries and the death of his mother to colon cancer in 2013, his great arm strength and expectations for 2014 for the Bulldogs.

While Prescott was praised for his running skills a lot in 2013 he was throwing some real football "smoke" at the Manning Passing Academy on the campus of Nicholls State University.

Recruitment to Mississippi State: "I committed early to Mississippi State and then LSU offered late. I am a Louisiana guy, but I gave my word to Mississippi State and they were with me from the start. Playing at Haughton High School in Louisiana you feel some pressure to go to LSU, but my word was important. LSU is a great school, but my word means a lot and it really worked out for me at Mississippi State. It's like family here in Starkville."

Dealing with injuries and the death of his mother: "Injuries are a part of the game and you have to deal with it and do everything you can to come back on the field physically. I love to play football, so it was tough to miss some time, but my elbow and shoulder are fine and I am ready to go. It's hard to lose a parent at any age and I am so fortunate to have had her for the time I did, but she wanted me to continue and play out my dream. I had so much support from so many and the folks at Mississippi State and my teammates became family fast for me. It was a tough time for me, but it also opened up a window to me to show that there were so many that really cared about me as a person."

Arm Strength and Expectations in 2014: "Yes, I can hum it pretty good, but what I worked on in the off-season was throwing the ball better on balance and also working with my receivers. Trying to get my timing down. I split time with Tyler Russell and so now I am the "guy" here and it is so important for all of us to be on the same page. I feel as though because of my arm strength I can get the ball in a tight window, but accuracy is the key. I got pretty good foot speed and I can run away from the pressure pretty well too, so it puts pressure on the defense. I just want to become a smarter quarterback throwing the ball. Expectations are high for us because we return 18 starters. But we know all about LSU, Auburn and Alabama and they are bringing back a lot of people too. Very excited about the season and I just want to win. It doesn't matter if I throw 5 throws and we win 7-6 or I have to throw 35 times and we win 35-34, I just want to win games.?

Saltydog
07-13-2014, 12:03 PM
spokesman or representative for MSU. He will become a MSU legend before his work is done here.

Dawg61
07-13-2014, 12:07 PM
What a bad ass

FISHDAWG
07-13-2014, 12:12 PM
spokesman or representative for MSU. He will become a MSU legend before his work is done here.

I don't think it could be said any better than that .... I love this guy's character and integrity as much as his talent and will

LeakyD
07-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Phil Savage also reports that Dak showed one of the most explosive arms at the MPA.

CadaverDawg
07-13-2014, 12:23 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3378809/Prescott75ydTD.gif

Covercorner2
07-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Love how he didn't even mention Ole Miss

Pinto
07-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Funny thing is they interviewed Bo last night and asked was he picking Eli's brain for tips and he said no. They just talk like buddies and don't discuss football. That's a way to get better.

msstate7
07-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Whether this guy is a qb in the nfl or not, he'll be a very successful, young man. I love this kid

The Federalist Engineer
07-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Love it, the kid is clearly a War Horse, good post

BankerDog
07-13-2014, 01:47 PM
I love this guy. And was it just me or did anyone else, when reading that, thought that it sounded like something Mullen would say? "Very excited about the season and we just want to win." I was told at the end of last year, Mullen was pissed off and that in turn the team became pissed off. He even made the comment "I'm tired of them and I'm not playing nice anymore. I will dominate them on the field and in recruiting this year and every year after that."...I'll let you figure out who he was talking about.

hells bells
07-13-2014, 03:10 PM
How fortunate Miss State is to have Dak. What really stood out to me is he is a Man of his Word.in this day and age, he is already a legend to me.

War Machine Dawg
07-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Haven't seen anyone else mention it, but something that jumped out to me was Dak's comment "accuracy is the key." He clearly understands you may have a cannon for an arm, but it doesn't do you a damn bit of good if you can't put the ball where you want it. I won't mention the intangible stuff, as everyone else has touched on it already. But looking at what he said from a football perspective, that one phrase alone makes my wool grow that much more.

thf24
07-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Funny thing is they interviewed Bo last night and asked was he picking Eli's brain for tips and he said no. They just talk like buddies and don't discuss football. That's a way to get better.

Probably figures he already knows everything there is to know about throwing the ball out to 15 yards, so why bother with anything more.

yjnkdawg
07-13-2014, 08:13 PM

Interviewing Dak and Bo Wallace is like comparing day (Dak) and night (Bo). One shines and the other is stumbling through the Grove in the dark.

starkvegasdawg
07-13-2014, 08:22 PM
How fortunate Miss State is to have Dak. What really stood out to me is he is a Man of his Word.in this day and age, he is already a legend to me.

He understands what the word commitment means.

WinningIsRelentless
07-13-2014, 09:51 PM
The one point that is huge for him as a qb is that he understands it is tough for defenses to defend him when he moves around in the pocket. A qb that can move and make plays with his feet will make a below average ol look above average.

Reason2succeed
07-14-2014, 09:05 AM
...is that these players have high expectations and are working to meet those expectations. They want so bad for this to be THE breakout year. A new stadium, 18 returning starters, and intact or improved coaching staff, and hype surrounding the program... Though State fans are afraid of expectations we must learn to embrace it. No we shouldn't get cocky and arrogant like some of our SEC brethren but we need to learn how to root for our team without subconsciously preparing ourselves for failure. We have a shot. Take it. If you miss so be it but at least you gave your best.

DawgHouseUnited
07-14-2014, 09:06 AM
He understands what the word commitment means.

So he didn't need anyone to tweet a reminder about it, like some coaches... *coughFREEZEcough*