PDA

View Full Version : 7/12 Fishing

SpeckleDawg
07-12-2014, 05:57 PM
I got in a few hours of kayak fishing this morning. Decided to go with the old faithful combo of live shrimp & a popping cork. I only picked up a dozen, assuming I could switch over to a jig if I ran out...mistake. I was anchored up on a front beach reef before the sun came up. After half an hour of no hits on shrimp or anything else I had in the box, I decided to make one move. It's a pain to drag the kayak across the sand and load/unload all my gear, so I was only making one move. It turned out to be a good one. When I got to my next spot, I tossed a shrimp out and the cork went under before I could get my paddle away. Nice 3.25 lb trout. After that, I landed a few school trout and a bunch of small black tips. After about 3 sharks in a row my reel started screaming. I saw a bit of black on a fin and assumed it was a bigger shark. I didn't worry much and casually reeled it in...then she gave me a flash of silver and a yellow mouth next to the kayak. It never gave a head shake or even fought hard until seeing the yak. After that, she absolutely went nuts. I scrambled to grab the net and she fell out 3 times (small net). If the hook hadn't been swallowed, I think I would have lost a great fish. Finally got the boga on her - ~5.5lbs. I picked up a couple more decent fish of ~1.5 & 2 lbs. On one of my last shrimp I had a similar feeling fish with the same story, but this one dove under the kayak and got free. Losing a big one hurts, but I couldn't complain at that point. After I ran out of shrimp I couldn't buy a bite on anything in the box.
There was baiting busting everywhere all morning. I have rarely seen that much.

The 2 biggest.
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/E1D4EE2F-F161-4790-8E19-837FD09EAB80_zpsvc5gvdaq.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/E1D4EE2F-F161-4790-8E19-837FD09EAB80_zpsvc5gvdaq.jpg.html)

BeastMan
07-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Out freaking standing. Those are some dang hogs. Are you entering everything in the kayak division on Star?

FISHDAWG
07-12-2014, 06:23 PM
BAM !!! that's what you hope for ... nice when it happens.

Barking 13
07-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Those kinds of days are magical.. like I get into a wad of 3+ spots on a gravel bar busting shad, and I'm there with Mr. Sammy.... tissue, please...

SpeckleDawg
07-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Out freaking standing. Those are some dang hogs. Are you entering everything in the kayak division on Star?

Unfortunately, MS doesn't have a kayak division. I looked at the LA kayak divisions and I would be leading 3 of the 4.

BeastMan
07-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately, MS doesn't have a kayak division. I looked at the LA kayak divisions and I would be leading 3 of the 4.

Dang. I thought they did. Well, congrats on the catch. That's an awesome trip. Big props

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Caught some mahi in the sea of cortez yesterday

BeastMan
07-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Sweet. You eat any fresh?

FISHDAWG
07-13-2014, 12:40 PM

did the fight surprise you ? ... those fish are incredible fighters. Mahi-Mahi I'm told is Polynesian for strong-strong ... congrats, I know it was fun.

SpeckleDawg
07-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Dang. I thought they did. Well, congrats on the catch. That's an awesome trip. Big props

Thanks. Definitely a blast from a kayak.

"Caught some mahi in the sea of cortez yesterday"

That's awesome. Some of my favorite to catch and eat.

State82
07-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Nice Job SpeckleDawg! Fine specks right there. I would love to get in some those size! We don't have any gator trout down in the area of South LA that we frequent. Just keeper size.