PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm not going to beat the dead horse about how concerning Hevesy and our OL recruiting is. So instead, let's talk about the guys currently on the roster. What is the last we've heard on the development of Flowers and Thomas? What about Devon Desper and Cole Carter....will they be contributors at some point? And what's the last we've heard on Malone and Senior and how they're looking heading into the fall?

I know any info we have will be from the Spring most likely, but I'm interested in what our OL will look like this year and next, because I feel it has potential to be our weakest link if we don't have some great development and some guys step up in a big way.

And finally, for any of you recruiting guys, how do you feel our chances are with Danley, Patterson? And what other OL recruits are we targeting? Any elite guys?

Didn't curmudgeon or somebody post a recruiting analysis last year that showed our needs, targets, and commits that was updated every so often? I'd love to see this so we can follow it throughout the season.

msstate7
07-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Ready to see what Calhoun can do. 247 said he can be a big surprise this year.

Clayborn is a huge key to me. Can he go from being very solid to a force this year?

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Ready to see what Calhoun can do. 247 said he can be a big surprise this year.

Clayborn is a huge key to me. Can he go from being very solid to a force this year?

Glad to hear that about Calhoun. Can someone fill me in on Joq Johnson? Is he the type of guy that can step in and be effective first year? How dominant was he in JUCO?

HoopsDawg
07-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Glad to hear that about Calhoun. Can someone fill me in on Joq Johnson? Is he the type of guy that can step in and be effective first year? How dominant was he in JUCO?

Calhoun is a true freshmen. I would look for him to redshirt this year. Joq Johnson was not a highly recruited Juco. Coming in and missing the spring due to an injury has put him behind. If our first 6 can stay healthy, Joq should redshirt.

Our starting 5 is decent. I don't think we have any 1st team All-SEC guys, but they are ok. Hevesey wants to find 8 that can play, but some years we have only had 6 or 7. Our 5 best guys are: Clausell, Clayborn, Day, Beckwith, and Malone. Malone is massive. He and Clayborn are the two potential pros if they develop. Right now, Robinson is our #6. He is probably the swing tackle and first in if someone gets hurt. Flowers is a key guy. Flowers was the guy I liked best in the 2013 OL class. He started off very slow, but now he is coming on. I really hope he can push Beckwith and get some minutes.

Looking ahead to 2015. First off, we aren't going to sign Patterson. Champion and Moon are decent tackle prospects. Danley and Rankin are KEY recruits. Both would play if they sign. We have to sign 1, but I would like both. I think Clayborn moves to Center. This could be the OL in 2015: LT: Rankin, LG: Flowers C: Clayborn, RG: Danley, RT: Malone That would be another solid OL.

Other than the names mentioned in my post, I don't see much happening with the other guys except for maybe Desper. He has some potential at G.

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Calhoun is a true freshmen. I would look for him to redshirt this year. Joq Johnson was not a highly recruited Juco. Coming in and missing the spring due to an injury has put him behind. If our first 6 can stay healthy, Joq should redshirt.

Our starting 5 is decent. I don't think we have any 1st team All-SEC guys, but they are ok. Hevesey wants to find 8 that can play, but some years we have only had 6 or 7. Our 5 best guys are: Clausell, Clayborn, Day, Beckwith, and Malone. Malone is massive. He and Clayborn are the two potential pros if they develop. Right now, Robinson is our #6. He is probably the swing tackle and first in if someone gets hurt. Flowers is a key guy. Flowers was the guy I liked best in the 2013 OL class. He started off very slow, but now he is coming on. I really hope he can push Beckwith and get some minutes.

Looking ahead to 2015. First off, we aren't going to sign Patterson. Champion and Moon are decent tackle prospects. Danley and Rankin are KEY recruits. Both would play if they sign. We have to sign 1, but I would like both. I think Clayborn moves to Center. This could be the OL in 2015: LT: Rankin, LG: Flowers C: Clayborn, RG: Danley, RT: Malone That would be another solid OL.

Other than the names mentioned in my post, I don't see much happening with the other guys except for maybe Desper. He has some potential at G.

You forgot Senior. He is ahead of Robinson in terms of our OL talent. I think he will be good this year.

Good breakdown.

Coach34
07-12-2014, 06:15 PM
I like our starting 5- will be a good group

Flowers had a great Spring- he should be ready to play some snaps.
Senior and Robinson are fine as back-ups and Senior may end up being solid- he is up to 295 now I saw the other day

I'm worried about a 4th guard or if Day gets hurt. Beckwith can play C but forces Flowers into action with uncertainty after that

PMDawg
07-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Rufus Warren?

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Rufus Warren?

Is Rufus just a Sophomore? Or Junior?

How is he progressing?

War Machine Dawg
07-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Is Rufus just a Sophomore? Or Junior?

How is he progressing?

I'm thinking Warren is a SR. Supposedly he got off to a slow start in the spring, but really made a lot of progress the last week, week and a half. He could be a factor at some point, especially if we can get some big leads in the first 3 games and let him get a few live action game reps.

Political Hack
07-12-2014, 06:53 PM
two guys listed on our projected 2015 OL that aren't even on campus... that's a problem. I still believe that we are truly a "developmental program." Kids get better at state. It's proven to be true. With that in mind, I think Clayborne, Flowers, Desper, Malone, Senior and Thomas have a great chance to be solid contributors next year. If we get a stud Juco to go with them, that's icing on the cake. We can always use a stud OT.

Warren is athletic as hell, but that's a big transition to buy into mentally. I like him at OT though and think hell do well if he's coached up properly.

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm thinking Warren is a SR. Supposedly he got off to a slow start in the spring, but really made a lot of progress the last week, week and a half. He could be a factor at some point, especially if we can get some big leads in the first 3 games and let him get a few live action game reps.

Just looked it up...he's a Junior

AlSwearengen
07-12-2014, 07:10 PM
We need to figure out a way to get one can't miss prospect for the OL this year or next. We need to identify the good prospects early so that the olemiss people don't beat us to the punch.

smootness
07-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Warren is a junior. I expect him to challenge to start in 2015.

As for this recruiting class, I'll be pleasantly surprised with either Danley or Rankin at this point, and we won't get Patterson. I'm hoping we can grab Wommack, but I don't think that's happening, either.

Coach34
07-12-2014, 07:22 PM
There is certainly concern for the 2015 OL

Senior, Clayborn, Flowers, and Malone should be ready to play. The hope right now is that Calhoun will be ready to play Center. We certainly have work to do with this group for 2015

Political Hack
07-12-2014, 07:28 PM

Senior, Clayborn, Flowers, and Malone should be ready to play. The hope right now is that Calhoun will be ready to play Center. We certainly have work to do with this group for 2015

little doubt about that... but look how much guys like Clayborne, Clausell, Day, Malone, etc... improved. I expect 2-3 more to develop and be ready by next season. Hoping it's Thomas. He shut Channing Ward down as a Jr. He's got the talent to play in the SEC. just hope he's strong enough.

MarketingBully01
07-12-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm not going to beat the dead horse about how concerning Hevesy and our OL recruiting is. So instead, let's talk about the guys currently on the roster. What is the last we've heard on the development of Flowers and Thomas? What about Devon Desper and Cole Carter....will they be contributors at some point? And what's the last we've heard on Malone and Senior and how they're looking heading into the fall?

I know any info we have will be from the Spring most likely, but I'm interested in what our OL will look like this year and next, because I feel it has potential to be our weakest link if we don't have some great development and some guys step up in a big way.

And finally, for any of you recruiting guys, how do you feel our chances are with Danley, Patterson? And what other OL recruits are we targeting? Any elite guys?

Didn't curmudgeon or somebody post a recruiting analysis last year that showed our needs, targets, and commits that was updated every so often? I'd love to see this so we can follow it throughout the season.

I am not concerned about the OL this year as I think we have a good enough one to win with what we have on all our other areas of offense. My biggest concern this year is field goal kicking. Have we found one yet that can give us good consistency from 40 yards in and can hit in a decent range from the 40-50 yard range. I think that would be the difference from a great to elite year as I think we will have a number of close games especially with teams like LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss. We single handedly lost the Auburn game last year because of field goal kicking for instance.

MarketingBully01
07-12-2014, 07:57 PM
two guys listed on our projected 2015 OL that aren't even on campus... that's a problem. I still believe that we are truly a "developmental program." Kids get better at state. It's proven to be true. With that in mind, I think Clayborne, Flowers, Desper, Malone, Senior and Thomas have a great chance to be solid contributors next year. If we get a stud Juco to go with them, that's icing on the cake. We can always use a stud OT.

Warren is athletic as hell, but that's a big transition to buy into mentally. I like him at OT though and think hell do well if he's coached up properly.

OL is a position IMO that is a crap shoot when looking at recruiting rankings. As long as we get guys we can develop and add weight to and feel comfortable with I am okay with whoever Dan/John sign. The only sure fire OL I have seen that started day 1 and was a can't miss prospect was the Tunsill kid. Otherwise, it's how you develop them which we have shown we do a damn fine job of developing kids to their full potential.

Goat Holder
07-12-2014, 09:31 PM

Dak better be summoning the dead injuns.

QB curse n shit.

Schultzy
07-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Wasn't Coach57 talking about Jake Thomas being much improved during bowl practices? Devon Desper was a much wanted recruit as well, one or more of these guys will step up.

Eta these guys along with Flowers and Carter have been in the program long enough to develop physically and know it's their time for legit playing time. That aspect changes a players motor and approach to things. We recruited them bc they have ability and I'm glad the days are over of throwing true freshmen out there.

The Federalist Engineer
07-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Being without information and being an optimist, I am currently assuming that Devon Desper, Cole Carter, and Jake Thomas are facing great competition to win starting or backup roles. If my optimism is correct, we have better depth and competition than any bulldog OL in my memory

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Being without information and being an optimist, I am currently assuming that Devon Desper, Cole Carter, and Jake Thomas are facing great competition to win starting or backup roles. If my optimism is correct, we have better depth and competition than any bulldog OL in my memory

Poor effort

thedawg
07-12-2014, 10:15 PM
2015 will be fine.. Joc will be good when he gets healthy.. Flowers and Thomas are right on schedule and will be ready to play... Rufus has a chance and anything we get out of him is bonus.. Malone is a future pro if he can stay healthy... Clayborn will be a third year player at guard by then.... Calhoun has been a surprise and will be ready to be a backup.. Senior and Cole Carter are floating around and it will be crap or get get off the pot time for them in 2015... Danly keeps putting off that Oklahoma visit but he's gonna have to bust it to get into and sec school in January that's key for him...

Bo Darville
07-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Cole Carter has come on to pull even or maybe surpass Justin Senior. Let's see if Senior moves back ahead this fall.

I saw Thomas last fall and he looked pretty bad. In bowl practices and the spring he was totally different. Drastic improvement.

We will lose Clausell, Day, Beckwith, Muniz, and D. Robinson, so playing time is there for someone to grab in

Day needs to stay healthy. Beckwith will start at center if Day goes down.

preachermatt83
07-12-2014, 11:25 PM
you guys are not giving senior the credit he deserves. I think he is going to be really good for us moving forward.

The Federalist Engineer
07-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the tip, but Bo Darville just answered my question, now I know something about the dudes I was most interested in. Just need a dish on Desper. It would be great to have an MC kid doing something big for us.

HoopsDawg
07-13-2014, 12:51 AM
You forgot Senior. .

No I didn't.

Bothrops
07-13-2014, 01:39 AM
Muniz has been in the program for a long time, is he able to play center or guard if we lose someone? The guy has played cleanup duty for like 3 years.

Bo Darville
07-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Muniz has been in the program for a long time, is he able to play center or guard if we lose someone? The guy has played cleanup duty for like 3 years.

Muniz is 2nd-string center. But if Day goes down, Beckwith will move to center. If Muniz plays a bunch, then several people have gotten hurt. I really want to see Desper make a big move this fall and spring. Really need his contribution as starter or top backup at guard or center in 2015.

NCDawg
07-13-2014, 12:10 PM

"We're not going to sign Patterson". Seems like that's the story of our OL recruiting. We miss out on the top guys and then settle for ones who we think show the possibility of developing. I note Patterson has apparently narrowed his choices to Ole Miss and Auburn. Maybe someday we can compete with other schools for the top linemen.

CadaverDawg
07-13-2014, 12:17 PM
"We're not going to sign Patterson". Seems like that's the story of our OL recruiting. We miss out on the top guys and then settle for ones who we think show the possibility of developing. I note Patterson has apparently narrowed his choices to Ole Miss and Auburn. Maybe someday we can compete with other schools for the top linemen.

Not just the top linemen...but the top linemen in OUR STATE. It's embarrassing. Under Sherrill we got tons of great OLinemen...now we couldn't hold on to a 4 star tackle from Starkville High School. All of the Hevesy defenders will come to his rescue with comments like, "he helped us get ____", "he doesn't recruit every OL, he recruits a territory", etc....but the bottom line is, we are having to OVERCOME Hevesy to get any OL to commit and sign. Our OL coach needs to be attracting OLinemen, not turning them off when another one of our coaches get them interested. He's a problem whether people want to admit it or not. Hopefully we can keep overcoming him though. At least he is a decent developer once kids do get to campus though. It could be worse.

1bigdawg
07-13-2014, 01:14 PM
The biggest OL recruit we could get this year is Harris if he makes it to Prep school instead of Juco. He is a monster who just did not have the grades or he would have been a high 4*.

msstate7
07-13-2014, 01:21 PM
The biggest OL recruit we could get this year is Harris if he makes it to Prep school instead of Juco. He is a monster who just did not have the grades or he would have been a high 4*.

What's the requirement for prep school?

BankerDog
07-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Justin Senior is going to prove a lot of people wrong. He has great footwork and is still only 19 (he's been here for three years already). He will still grow into his body. The DL I know hate going against him. I thought Clayborn should've started over Beckwith last year. He would rotate in some for Gabe much like we did Sherrod with Mike Brown when Grimes was here. I saw Clayborn several times last year against Bama put guys on their back. Rufus Warren will be a player for us. He looked really good in the spring game. His footwork is very good. With tackles, you look more for their footwork then anything else; he has it. Easy transition from TE to Tackle. Wouldn't surprise me to see him rotate in with Malone like we did with Gabe/Clayborn last year. That will give some of our guys breaks and keep us fresh.

engie
07-13-2014, 01:31 PM
What's the requirement for prep school?

I've never heard exact standards, but the general idea is that the kid is close enough to making it that one extra semester worth of good grades is enough to meet NCAA requirements...

engie
07-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Justin Senior is going to prove a lot of people wrong.
Agreed. It's crazy the amount people are sleeping on a guy that took 25% or so of our total snaps last year from the left tackle position as a FR and no one that wasn't paying attention even noticed. Now, Robinson on the other hand, you knew exactly when he was in the game...

Barking 13
07-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Not just the top linemen...but the top linemen in OUR STATE. It's embarrassing. Under Sherrill we got tons of great OLinemen...now we couldn't hold on to a 4 star tackle from Starkville High School. All of the Hevesy defenders will come to his rescue with comments like, "he helped us get ____", "he doesn't recruit every OL, he recruits a territory", etc....but the bottom line is, we are having to OVERCOME Hevesy to get any OL to commit and sign. Our OL coach needs to be attracting OLinemen, not turning them off when another one of our coaches get them interested. He's a problem whether people want to admit it or not. Hopefully we can keep overcoming him though. At least he is a decent developer once kids do get to campus though. It could be worse.

That's a fact, Jack!!!

Coach34
07-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Maybe someday we can compete with other schools for the top linemen.

Clausell and Day will be in NFL camps
Clayborn and Malone will likely be drafted

This will be the best OL we have had in a long damn time

Jacksondevildog
07-13-2014, 05:38 PM
This staff has slow played OL talent in recruiting. We used to do the same with quarterbacks and it bit us in the ass. We have recruited well everywhere except somewhat elite OL talent and place kicking. We don't have much depth on the offensive line and we were one of the worst place kicking teams in the conference last year. Unfortunately, that will cost us at some point.

War Machine Dawg
07-13-2014, 05:51 PM
This staff has slow played OL talent in recruiting. We used to do the same with quarterbacks and it bit us in the ass. We have recruited well everywhere except somewhat elite OL talent and place kicking. We don't have much depth on the offensive line and we were the worst place kicking team in the nation last year. Unfortunately, that will cost us at some point.

FIFY

Bully13
07-13-2014, 06:10 PM
mullen is doing the same thing with hevesy as croom did with mccorvey. there is no coincidence with how bad we've sucked against SEC defenses regarding rushing attempts on 1st and 2nd down and our inebtness to recruit OL beyond the middle tn state level. mullen needs to decide between MSU, his high paying job and his yankee assed non recruiting 17 buddy. everyone will see again as it has been ever since mullen got here, we will not be able to get rushing 1st downs on 1st and 2nd downs. always having to rely on the QB and somebody else pulling something out of their asses. and we wonder why we can't pull off a SEC West legit win. it's because we can't get the high quality big nastys. that's why.

Coach34
07-13-2014, 06:30 PM
bookmarked