PDA

View Full Version : Braves' catching situation

shoeless joe
07-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Been able to watch several games this past week and this bethancourt is a studd defensive catcher. I have also been pleasantly surprised with his offense. However, gattis is starting baseball activities and may be back in a couple weeks. With catcher being a premium defensive position it may get interesting, especially with all 3 everyday outfielders swinging fairly well rite now.

msstate7
07-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Fredi has already said gattis will catch when healthy. Most likely Christian will be sent down to keep catching everyday

msstate7
07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
I love bethancourt though. Gattis better be glad he's a premier hitting catcher bc bethancourt is outstanding defensively

shoeless joe
07-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Fredi has already said gattis will catch when healthy. Most likely Christian will be sent down to keep catching everyday

Wouldn't be shocked by this but ded gum he is an elite defensive guy. If BJ had kept sucking then I could see doing some shuffling out there and put gattis in left.

With bethancourt behind the plate they may very well have the best; at least top 2-3, defensive catcher, right fielder, first baseman, and short stop. That is amazing really...and a huge reason for expected success.

shoeless joe
07-12-2014, 05:02 PM
And rite on cue***

msstate7
07-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Wouldn't be shocked by this but ded gum he is an elite defensive guy. If BJ had kept sucking then I could see doing some shuffling out there and put gattis in left.

With bethancourt behind the plate they may very well have the best; at least top 2-3, defensive catcher, right fielder, first baseman, and short stop. That is amazing really...and a huge reason for expected success.

If gattis could play lf at a decent level, I'd love to have him there. He's terrible though. Jup is already bad in lf. Moving jup to rf and gattis in lf will make us very, very weak defensively on the corners.

msstate7
07-12-2014, 05:05 PM
And rite on cue***

Haha yep

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 05:11 PM
EliteDawgs...For all things Atlanta braves, and a splash of MSU athletics.***

msstate7
07-12-2014, 05:12 PM
EliteDawgs...For all things Atlanta braves, and a splash of MSU athletics.***

Can we please get an "a" on the banner?*

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Can we please get an "a" on the banner?*

Haha

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 05:16 PM
EliteDhttp://sportsvivo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/logo.gifwgs

msstate7
07-12-2014, 05:18 PM
EliteDhttp://sportsvivo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/logo.gifwgs

Perfect. Nice work

War Machine Dawg
07-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Bethancourt will probably go back down. But I've been pleasantly surprised with his bat. He definitely looks ready to play. Don't get the hate for Gattis. He isn't bad at all defensively. The pitching staff loves the guy. Bethancourt being a defensive freak doesn't mean Gattis sucks. I'd say Gattis is probably better right now than Mac was at any point of his career, and I personally thought Mac was underrated defensively. It's almost like unless you're Yadi Molina, you get pegged as either an "offensive" or "defensive" catcher now and can't get credit for being good at both. I'm excited as hell to get Gattis back, but I'd love to find a way to keep Bethancourt on the 25 man, too. Unfortunately, we're stuck with Laird and a waste of roster space in Uggla. Have I mentioned how much I hate Wren?

msstate7
07-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Bethancourt will probably go back down. But I've been pleasantly surprised with his bat. He definitely looks ready to play. Don't get the hate for Gattis. He isn't bad at all defensively. The pitching staff loves the guy. Bethancourt being a defensive freak doesn't mean Gattis sucks. I'd say Gattis is probably better right now than Mac was at any point of his career, and I personally thought Mac was underrated defensively. It's almost like unless you're Yadi Molina, you get pegged as either an "offensive" or "defensive" catcher now and can't get credit for being good at both. I'm excited as hell to get Gattis back, but I'd love to find a way to keep Bethancourt on the 25 man, too. Unfortunately, we're stuck with Laird and a waste of roster space in Uggla. Have I mentioned how much I hate Wren?

I referred to gattis being terrible in lf, not catcher. Gattis is nowhere near bethancourt defensively, but bethancourt is no where near gattis offensively. I'd go gattis this year...

Political Hack
07-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Bethencourt is going to be trade bait. He's a stud defensively and has a bat to boot. Get gattis back and go grab a role player to make a push into the post season. A middle reliever/4th SP would be nice. A team will give that up for a young #2 catcher who is still developing.

Gattis getting hurt could be a lifesaver for the Braves if this plays out correctly.

shoeless joe
07-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Bethencourt is going to be trade bait. He's a stud defensively and has a bat to boot. Get gattis back and go grab a role player to make a push into the post season. A middle reliever/4th SP would be nice. A team will give that up for a young #2 catcher who is still developing.

Gattis getting hurt could be a lifesaver for the Braves if this plays out correctly.

If this happened then I'd have to agree with some others that wren is an idiot...I just don't see it

Political Hack
07-12-2014, 07:40 PM
the talking heads are already suggesting it.

msstate7
07-12-2014, 07:57 PM
the talking heads are already suggesting it.

I don't think you trade either one this year esp considering gattis' back is questionable. I do think the braves should make a decision which one after the season though.

KB21
07-12-2014, 09:46 PM
They have to take into account that Evan is also 28 years old. While he doesn't have the wear and tear on his bones that a Brian McCann had at that age, catchers still do not age well. Evan is an elite offensive catcher, but he's probably middle of the pack defensively. Christian Bethancourt has a chance to be the defensive equals of Yadier Molina and Salvador Perez, and neither one of them were exceptionally strong offensive catchers coming out of the minors.

BoomBoom
07-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Bethancourt still needs some seasoning. He had the pass ball today, and a few other young mistakes lately if you've been paying attention. plus his bat is ok but IMO he's been lucky. his minor league stats do not suggest his bat should be performing at this level, and he's often looked overmatched at the plate.

Braves have a decision to make. His stock will never be higher. trade now or keep long-term.

KB21
07-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Bethancourt still needs some seasoning. He had the pass ball today, and a few other young mistakes lately if you've been paying attention. plus his bat is ok but IMO he's been lucky. his minor league stats do not suggest his bat should be performing at this level, and he's often looked overmatched at the plate.

Braves have a decision to make. His stock will never be higher. trade now or keep long-term.

If you trade Bethancourt now, the next best guy in the system is Tyler Tewell at Lynchburg, and Tewell profiles more as a AAAA player than a major league every day player. After Tewell, you have a cluster of guys at Danville in Bryan De La Rosa, Tanner Murphy, and Wigberto Nevarez. Bryan De La Rosa has a ridiculous pop time (1.72 coming out of high school), but he hasn't hit. Tanner Murphy is a big, raw catcher who has yet to hit but has projection. Wigberto Nevarez is a 20th round pick who was compared some to Evan Gattis, but has looked like a 20th round pick in the early goings.

Todd4State
07-12-2014, 11:41 PM
I just saw where the Braves signed a catcher from Cuba for whatever it's worth. He might end up here in Mississippi.

BoomBoom
07-13-2014, 01:24 AM
If you trade Bethancourt now, the next best guy in the system is Tyler Tewell at Lynchburg, and Tewell profiles more as a AAAA player than a major league every day player. After Tewell, you have a cluster of guys at Danville in Bryan De La Rosa, Tanner Murphy, and Wigberto Nevarez. Bryan De La Rosa has a ridiculous pop time (1.72 coming out of high school), but he hasn't hit. Tanner Murphy is a big, raw catcher who has yet to hit but has projection. Wigberto Nevarez is a 20th round pick who was compared some to Evan Gattis, but has looked like a 20th round pick in the early goings.

yeah, but solid backups are a dime a dozen, and they have Gattis for 4 more years.

MetEdDawg
07-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Depending on how the resigning of a few guys go and how the offense evolves next year (we currently have the 2nd least runs scored in all of baseball only ahead of the Padres), I would consider trading Gattis to an AL team in the offseason or next year's trading deadline for a starting pitcher.

If Gattis still continues to have health problems, he could be a kick ass DH for a decent time. That amount of offense is worth quite and bit and we might be able to get a #2 or #3 for him and we NEED that. Teheran is about the only proven commodity we have at SP right now that I can count on to consistently win games for next year.

Harang is 36 and will turn 37 in May and is on a 1 year contract. Not sure what you will get out of him even if we do resign him. Santana has a 1 year deal. Possibility he doesn't come back next year. I think Alex Wood will be good but he's not a 2 or 3 yet. But he can get there. Minor scares the hell out of me. He's now got a 4.86 ERA and only got a win yesterday because we scored more than the 6 runs he gave up. Hale isn't ready yet and Floyd can't be counted on. Then you add in Beachy and Medlen and you can't be sure how they will come back from injury.

So you've got Teheran, Minor, Wood, and Hale who are guaranteed as of right now to be on the team. That's scary as shit. We need another starter and we need one badly. If the organization thinks Bethancourt is ready, I say try and get a starter for next year by trading Gattis.

Political Hack
07-13-2014, 09:57 AM
If you want to piss off 95% of Braves fans and get yourself on the hot seat as GM, trade El Oso Blanco.

Betchencourt may by a splash in the frying pan. I wouldn't bet my future on that. I'd go get another pitcher as soon as Gattis is back and healthy.

shoeless joe
07-13-2014, 10:05 AM
A whole lot of folks are under estimating the value of defense behind the plate. Now, in no way do I agree that gattis should be traded but I wouldn't dream of shipping bethancourt off either rite now.

KB21
07-13-2014, 03:23 PM
I just saw where the Braves signed a catcher from Cuba for whatever it's worth. He might end up here in Mississippi.

Yenier Bello. They actually signed him this winter, but he has had visa issues or something like that.

KB21
07-13-2014, 03:26 PM
A whole lot of folks are under estimating the value of defense behind the plate. Now, in no way do I agree that gattis should be traded but I wouldn't dream of shipping bethancourt off either rite now.

If Bryan De La Rosa were showing anything in the minors right now, I'd consider it.

msstate7
07-13-2014, 03:29 PM
If Bryan De La Rosa were showing anything in the minors right now, I'd consider it.

Which one?

KB21
07-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Which one?

If De La Rosa were showing anything, I'd consider moving Bethancourt.

Todd4State
07-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Yenier Bello. They actually signed him this winter, but he has had visa issues or something like that.

Yeah, it takes awhile to get those Cuban players through customs typically. Usually they have to defect to the Dominican or Mexico and then after they get citizenship there THEN they can come on over to MLB.

msstate7
07-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Really hope he keeps hitting in the minors when gattis gets back. Christian having a nice offensive year would make him very marketable

msstate7
07-13-2014, 03:44 PM
If peraza keeps tearing it up, lastella could be a nice trade piece too.

BoomBoom
07-13-2014, 05:31 PM

so, do you consider Bethancourt as the starting catcher by say 2016, or just the backup to Gattis?

KB21
07-13-2014, 06:40 PM
so, do you consider Bethancourt as the starting catcher by say 2016, or just the backup to Gattis?

I'm not sure. One of them will likely be traded. Evan is a fan favorite right now, but he's fast approaching 30 and is starting to have some injuries that may flare up from time to time (knees and back). In a perfect world, Evan would be a DH to save his back and knees. 30 is the typical age where catchers start to have a rather drastic decline.

On the flip side, Evan helps the team more now. If they can package Bethancourt and get someone like David Price in return, it would not be a bad deal. You just have to make sure you develop a catcher in the system, because Evan likely will not be getting an extension at his age, and I don't see the DH coming to the NL anytime soon.

War Machine Dawg
07-13-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure. One of them will likely be traded. Evan is a fan favorite right now, but he's fast approaching 30 and is starting to have some injuries that may flare up from time to time (knees and back). In a perfect world, Evan would be a DH to save his back and knees. 30 is the typical age where catchers start to have a rather drastic decline.

On the flip side, Evan helps the team more now. If they can package Bethancourt and get someone like David Price in return, it would not be a bad deal. You just have to make sure you develop a catcher in the system, because Evan likely will not be getting an extension at his age, and I don't see the DH coming to the NL anytime soon.

5-10 years and the NL will have the DH too. I used to be against it, but the more I think about it, the more I want it to happen. It'll level the playing field with the AL and make the game better.