PDA

View Full Version : Yes! Huge baseball commit! Elih Marrero

MsStateBaseball
07-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Ranked 63 in the country. A catcher just like his MLB dad. 2015 commit.

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Boom.

http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_photo/John%20at%20regional.jpg

msstate7
07-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Draft status?

shoeless joe
07-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Good news...

Always enjoyed watching the way his dad played with cards and braves. One of the few catchers that also played a little CF. If I'm not mistaken he was also a cancer survivor.

MsStateBaseball
07-12-2014, 04:57 PM
60th in country. I don't care about draft right now. Let's get a bunch of highly ranked players and keep a few. We will be better for it.

engie
07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
If we get kids to school, that is going to be a class for the ages...

msstate7
07-12-2014, 05:01 PM
If we get kids to school, that is going to be a class for the ages...

If the draft decimates this class, what then? I want us to load up on elite talent, but I hope we have some guys ready if the worst happens

engie
07-12-2014, 05:08 PM
If the draft decimates this class, what then? I want us to load up on elite talent, but I hope we have some guys ready if the worst happens

It's a risk you've got to take. I can guarantee that we won't get all of these guys in -- but just getting a few of them would be a huge coup...

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 05:10 PM
The attention we are going to get from future recruits by these guys committing to us...will far outweigh the negatives of losing several of them to the draft. This will just help us to have these types of players to continue to commit to us in the future. This is H U G E

engie
07-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Someone with an active PG account want to run through the player rankings of that 2015 class for us? Insane prettymuch...

CadaverDawg
07-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Someone with an active PG account want to run through the player rankings of that 2015 class for us? Insane prettymuch...

Yea, I'd love to see it too

I seen it dawg
07-12-2014, 05:50 PM

This is what elite programs do. We are elite and need to get on board with the fact we will lose some guys. I'd rather be that way than always having to hope somehing happens because we don't have quite enough talent. Everybody needs to get off the scared to death to lose guys train.

MsStateBaseball
07-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Here's an FYi it might work. I signed up for free and I can see them but here you go. Plus my blog has the rankings under commits.

Greg Pickett 26th
Elih Marrero 60th
Austin Riley 63rd

National ranks. Chase Vallot was 44 I think.

chainedup_Dawg
07-12-2014, 05:54 PM
This is what elite programs do. We are elite and need to get on board with the fact we will lose some guys. I'd rather be that way than always having to hope somehing happens because we don't have quite enough talent. Everybody needs to get off the scared to death to lose guys train.

This. I'd much rather get the commitment and wait out the draft than not get it and have to chase our tails pulling shit together

msstate7
07-12-2014, 05:55 PM

I'm not scared. I just think loading up on guys that are likely to be drafted is high risk/high reward. I think this could lead to a national champ or missing out on tourney all together. I'd like to have a solid mix of high draft risks and players right below that level.

I seen it dawg
07-12-2014, 06:08 PM
The players below that level will be there. That's what we've gotten before last yrs class.

Dawg61
07-12-2014, 06:14 PM
I'd like to have a solid mix of high draft risks and players right below that level.

Then you'll like our class. Looks like we only have 3 draft risks and we'll be signing more than 3 players total.

msstate7
07-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Then you'll like our class. Looks like we only have 3 draft risks and we'll be signing more than 3 players total.

Then I'm happy. I'll shut up now

engie
07-12-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm not scared. I just think loading up on guys that are likely to be drafted is high risk/high reward. I think this could lead to a national champ or missing out on tourney all together. I'd like to have a solid mix of high draft risks and players right below that level.

Gene's not fully updated list...

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. B-T High School
Luke Alexander, SS/RHP, 6-foot, 165, S-R, Belmont (MS) High School
One of the top players in the nation in his classification... Made the 2010 USA 14U National Baseball team as a 13-year-old... A 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... Chose Mississippi State over interest from LSU and Ole Miss... Top Tools: Hitting, Defense.
Keegan James, RHP, 6-foot-2.5, 190, R-R, Desoto Central (MS) High School
During the 2013 season, he was 1-1 with a 4.52 ERA ... He was a 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... Chose Mississippi State over interest from Georgia, LSU, Memphis and Ole Miss... Top Tools: Arm-strength, command.

Austin Riley, Catcher, 6-foot-2, 215, R-R, Desoto Central (MS) High School
He was chosen to the MaxPreps 2013 Baseball Underclass All-American Team, one of 30 sophomores to make the team. He was also 1 of just 36 players nation-wide who were to play in the 2014 Under Armour All-America Baseball Game, which will be played August 16, 2014 at Wrigley Field in Chicago, IL ... During the 2013 high school season, he hit .434 with 7 home runs and 42 RBI. As a pitcher, he was 10-1 with a 0.51 ERA and 78 strikeouts ... For his efforts during the 2013 season, he was chosen to the Mississippi Coaches Association Class 6A All-State Team, the Jackson Clarion Ledger All-State Team and the Memphis Commercial Appeal All-Metro Team ... A 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... Chose Mississippi State over interest from LSU and Ole Miss... Top Tools: Hitting, Power, Defense, Arm Strength.

Hunter Stovall, Catcher, 5-foot-9, 170, R-R, Pelham (AL) High School
He was chosen to the MaxPreps 2013 Baseball Underclass All-American Team, one of 30 sophomores to make the team ... He was also selected to the Alabama Sports Writers Association Class 6A All-State Team and was also selected the Birmingham News All-Shelby Player of the Year ... For the 2013 season, he hit .339 with 3 home runs, 16 stolen bases and knocked in 23 RBI ... He was a 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... Chose Mississippi State over an offer from Auburn and interest from Alabama, LSU and South Carolina ... Top Tools: Hitting, Defense, Speed.

Jake Mangum, LHP/OF, 6-foot-0, 175, S-L, Jackson Prep (MS)
His honors include being selected to the 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All-American Team as an honorable mention selection. He was also named to the Perfect Game 2013 World Wood Bat Association 16U National Championship All-Tournament team after batting .522 in the event... As a sophomore, he hit .414 with with 37 RBI, 6 doubles, 4 triples and 1 home run. He also stole 20 bases. Pitching-wise, he was 5-0 with a 1.83 ERA and struck out 50 hitters in 30.2 innings ... Plays for one of the elite travel teams, the Dulin Dodgers ... Chose Mississippi State over offers from Auburn and Ole Miss ... Top Tools: Hitting, Defense, Speed, Arm Strength.

Noah Hughes, RHP, 6-foot-2, 170, R-R, Jackson Prep (MS)
He was selected to the 2013 Perfect Game Underclassmen Preseason All-American Team ... As a sophomore, he was 11-0 with a 2.45 ERA and struck out 76 hitters in 68.2 innings ... Plays for one of the elite travel teams, the Dulin Dodgers ... Chose Mississippi State over offers from Auburn and Ole Miss ... Top Tools: Arm Strength (87 mph fastball as a sophomore).

Brant Blaylock, OF, 6-foot-2, 185, R-R, Desoto Central (MS) High School
He was selected to the 2014 Perfect Game Underclassmen Preseason All-American Team as an Honorable Mention selection ... As a junior, he is hitting .407 with 28 runs scored and 22 RBI ... Plays for one of the elite travel teams, the Dulin Dodgers ... Chose Mississippi State over interest from Ole Miss, Southern Miss and Memphis ... Top Tools: Arm Strength, Footspeed, Defense and Bat.

Jared Padgett, LHP, 6-foot-4, 198, L-L, Graceville (FL) High School
One of the top players in the class of 2015, he was selected to the 2014 Perfect Game Underclassmen Preseason All-American Team as an Honorable Mention selection. He also competed in the 2014 Under Armour All-America Preseason Tournament in Tuscon, AZ in January, 2014 ... As a junior, he struck out 115 batters in 51 innings ... He chose Mississippi State over offers from Florida, Florida State and South Carolina ... Top Tools: Arm-strength, command.

Kale Breaux, LHP, 5-foot-11, 160, S-L, Sulphur (AL) High School
Named to the 40-man roster of the prestigious USA Baseball 2013 16U/2014 17U National Team Development Program. The roster will be cut down to 25 late in the summer of 2014. Also a 2014 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... As a junior, he was 9-3 with a 0.67 ERA and struck out 114 in 73 innings. During his freshman and sophomore years, he was a combined 11-8 with 182 strikeouts in 102.1 innings ... Chose Mississippi State over an offer from LSU and interest from Houston, Ole Miss, Rice, TCU, Tulane... Top Tools: Fastball movement and command of his pitches.

Saltydog
07-12-2014, 07:51 PM
commit a couple of years back and ended up going the JUCO route because he got in a little trouble, if I'm not mistaken. Anyone know his status? He was a solid catching prospect with a really good bat.

sbcmortgageman
07-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Cohen seems to be able to add late signees after the draft. I think we'll be okay as well.

MsStateBaseball
07-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Jacob and I follow each other on twitter and he never talks baseball. If he is not on the fall roster than he never will play here. He prob needs to play Indy ball and work hard.

Saltydog
07-12-2014, 08:29 PM
like he ended up at MS Delta CC..........Had a decent year.........Hit .350 with 8 hr's and 42 RBI's and slg % of .658.......Not bad numbers........Wonder if he'll try to walk on.....He's from Houston, MS so he's just down the road.......

The Federalist Engineer
07-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Great news, I hope we can create a Florida pipeline like we had in the past, especially with talented descendants of Cuban exiles in South Florida

Homedawg
07-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Here's an FYi it might work. I signed up for free and I can see them but here you go. Plus my blog has the rankings under commits.

Greg Pickett 26th
Elih Marrero 60th
Austin Riley 63rd

National ranks. Chase Vallot was 44 I think.
Look for Riley to go up. He was touching 95 this week. Will be and is in the first rd talk. Let's hope he really really wants to hit and his want to play at Msu is very high!

KB21
07-12-2014, 10:14 PM
This class is filthy good right now.

Todd4State
07-12-2014, 10:16 PM
I wasn't blowing smoke up everyone's skirts when I said that every guy in our class is a draftable type talent.

MsStateBaseball
07-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Todd but we started recruiting Elih just a few days ago at PG event. Got him to visit and he committed. That's how you do it.

Todd4State
07-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Todd but we started recruiting Elih just a few days ago at PG event. Got him to visit and he committed. That's how you do it.

Pretty much. They visited right after the tournament and then committed today.

preachermatt83
07-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Gene's not fully updated list...

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. B-T High School
Luke Alexander, SS/RHP, 6-foot, 165, S-R, Belmont (MS) High School
One of the top players in the nation in his classification... Made the 2010 USA 14U National Baseball team as a 13-year-old... A 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... Chose Mississippi State over interest from LSU and Ole Miss... Top Tools: Hitting, Defense.
Keegan James, RHP, 6-foot-2.5, 190, R-R, Desoto Central (MS) High School
During the 2013 season, he was 1-1 with a 4.52 ERA ... He was a 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... Chose Mississippi State over interest from Georgia, LSU, Memphis and Ole Miss... Top Tools: Arm-strength, command.

Austin Riley, Catcher, 6-foot-2, 215, R-R, Desoto Central (MS) High School
He was chosen to the MaxPreps 2013 Baseball Underclass All-American Team, one of 30 sophomores to make the team. He was also 1 of just 36 players nation-wide who were to play in the 2014 Under Armour All-America Baseball Game, which will be played August 16, 2014 at Wrigley Field in Chicago, IL ... During the 2013 high school season, he hit .434 with 7 home runs and 42 RBI. As a pitcher, he was 10-1 with a 0.51 ERA and 78 strikeouts ... For his efforts during the 2013 season, he was chosen to the Mississippi Coaches Association Class 6A All-State Team, the Jackson Clarion Ledger All-State Team and the Memphis Commercial Appeal All-Metro Team ... A 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... Chose Mississippi State over interest from LSU and Ole Miss... Top Tools: Hitting, Power, Defense, Arm Strength.

Hunter Stovall, Catcher, 5-foot-9, 170, R-R, Pelham (AL) High School
He was chosen to the MaxPreps 2013 Baseball Underclass All-American Team, one of 30 sophomores to make the team ... He was also selected to the Alabama Sports Writers Association Class 6A All-State Team and was also selected the Birmingham News All-Shelby Player of the Year ... For the 2013 season, he hit .339 with 3 home runs, 16 stolen bases and knocked in 23 RBI ... He was a 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... Chose Mississippi State over an offer from Auburn and interest from Alabama, LSU and South Carolina ... Top Tools: Hitting, Defense, Speed.

Jake Mangum, LHP/OF, 6-foot-0, 175, S-L, Jackson Prep (MS)
His honors include being selected to the 2013 Perfect Game Underclass All-American Team as an honorable mention selection. He was also named to the Perfect Game 2013 World Wood Bat Association 16U National Championship All-Tournament team after batting .522 in the event... As a sophomore, he hit .414 with with 37 RBI, 6 doubles, 4 triples and 1 home run. He also stole 20 bases. Pitching-wise, he was 5-0 with a 1.83 ERA and struck out 50 hitters in 30.2 innings ... Plays for one of the elite travel teams, the Dulin Dodgers ... Chose Mississippi State over offers from Auburn and Ole Miss ... Top Tools: Hitting, Defense, Speed, Arm Strength.

Noah Hughes, RHP, 6-foot-2, 170, R-R, Jackson Prep (MS)
He was selected to the 2013 Perfect Game Underclassmen Preseason All-American Team ... As a sophomore, he was 11-0 with a 2.45 ERA and struck out 76 hitters in 68.2 innings ... Plays for one of the elite travel teams, the Dulin Dodgers ... Chose Mississippi State over offers from Auburn and Ole Miss ... Top Tools: Arm Strength (87 mph fastball as a sophomore).

Brant Blaylock, OF, 6-foot-2, 185, R-R, Desoto Central (MS) High School
He was selected to the 2014 Perfect Game Underclassmen Preseason All-American Team as an Honorable Mention selection ... As a junior, he is hitting .407 with 28 runs scored and 22 RBI ... Plays for one of the elite travel teams, the Dulin Dodgers ... Chose Mississippi State over interest from Ole Miss, Southern Miss and Memphis ... Top Tools: Arm Strength, Footspeed, Defense and Bat.

Jared Padgett, LHP, 6-foot-4, 198, L-L, Graceville (FL) High School
One of the top players in the class of 2015, he was selected to the 2014 Perfect Game Underclassmen Preseason All-American Team as an Honorable Mention selection. He also competed in the 2014 Under Armour All-America Preseason Tournament in Tuscon, AZ in January, 2014 ... As a junior, he struck out 115 batters in 51 innings ... He chose Mississippi State over offers from Florida, Florida State and South Carolina ... Top Tools: Arm-strength, command.

Kale Breaux, LHP, 5-foot-11, 160, S-L, Sulphur (AL) High School
Named to the 40-man roster of the prestigious USA Baseball 2013 16U/2014 17U National Team Development Program. The roster will be cut down to 25 late in the summer of 2014. Also a 2014 Perfect Game Underclass All American High Honorable Mention selection ... As a junior, he was 9-3 with a 0.67 ERA and struck out 114 in 73 innings. During his freshman and sophomore years, he was a combined 11-8 with 182 strikeouts in 102.1 innings ... Chose Mississippi State over an offer from LSU and interest from Houston, Ole Miss, Rice, TCU, Tulane... Top Tools: Fastball movement and command of his pitches.

Keep a close eye on Padgett. he very well may be the best pitcher in the country. He is the guy that threw like three 15 strikeout games in a row in the playoffs if im not mistaken.

preachermatt83
07-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Keep a close eye on Padgett. he very well may be the best pitcher in the country. He is the guy that threw like three 15 strikeout games in a row in the playoffs if im not mistaken.

very good FB player too.

Todd4State
07-12-2014, 11:44 PM
I really like Padgett, and he certainly is a draft risk. BUT I don't think he's the best pitcher in the country coming out of high school.

preachermatt83
07-12-2014, 11:49 PM
I really like Padgett, and he certainly is a draft risk. BUT I don't think he's the best pitcher in the country coming out of high school.

draft risk? Yes... Most MLB ready? No .... Best overall potential? Very Possible... Kids a beast.. He is a lefthanded Holder.

preachermatt83
07-12-2014, 11:49 PM
draft risk? Yes... Most MLB ready? No .... Best overall potential? Very Possible... Kids a beast.. He is a lefthanded Holder.

who is developing a changeup... Imagine Holder being LH throwing that curve with a changeup.. Unhittable.

Todd4State
07-12-2014, 11:59 PM

Let's see if he gets an invite to the Under Armour All-American Game and then we can discuss. Right now, I think Austin Riley is better as a pitcher, so I'm not even sure if he's even the best pitcher in our class- which is a good thing. Konnor Pilkington has been raising his stock this past few weeks as well.

TaleofTwoDogs
07-13-2014, 12:06 AM
What?!! No Five tool guys....fire Cohen!! Does Hunter have any eligibility left?