PDA

View Full Version : Minute Maid Classic

messageboardsuperhero
07-11-2014, 07:45 PM
So apparently we backed out of the big Minute Maid Classic. Does anyone know why the hell we'd do that? Getting invited to the tournament and playing in it is a pretty big honor- plus it would be an RPI boost. I hope there's a damn good reason why we cancelled.

Political Hack
07-11-2014, 07:50 PM
thought that was just a Texas school thing?

would be a great event to play in if the invite really came though.

JDog13
07-11-2014, 07:54 PM
I was told it was too concentrated.

Dawgtini
07-11-2014, 08:08 PM
+1

ScottH
07-11-2014, 08:36 PM
thought that was just a Texas school thing?

would be a great event to play in if the invite really came though.

We had been announced. Kendall Rogers tweeted a bit ago the we pulled out.

I was looking forward to that trip.

preachermatt83
07-11-2014, 09:01 PM

http://cdn.smosh.com/sites/default/files/ftpuploads/bloguploads/sarcastic-clapping-great-joke.gif

missouridawg
07-11-2014, 09:18 PM
They usually have two texas schools and two out of state schools to go with Rice and Houston. Pissed they pulled out of it.

messageboardsuperhero
07-11-2014, 09:27 PM
We had been announced. Kendall Rogers tweeted a bit ago the we pulled out.

I was looking forward to that trip.

This is correct. We were definitely invited- I remember Tyler Bratton talking about us playing in it to Gene. Kendall Rogers said we were the ones who pulled out. No idea why we'd do that.

I can't imagine us backing out of it without damn good reason...

I seen it dawg
07-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Well let's see what the reason is before we start nuking the building

msstate7
07-11-2014, 10:21 PM
Well let's see what the reason is before we start nuking the building

Decided to play a 4-game series with holy cross. Wanted to see rea hit for power again**

Todd4State
07-12-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm disappointed that we pulled out too. I was going to go myself.

I'm not sure why we would pull out, but my guess is it probably has to do with our SEC schedule, which as far as I know hasn't been released yet publically but is rumored to be very difficult.

What I do know is the obvious- we play Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Texas A&M on the road, and we get LSU, Alabama, and Auburn at home. But I don't know what SEC East teams we are going to play. I would imagine that if we played Vandy it would be in Nashville. We didn't play Florida or South Carolina last year, so that may mean that odds are we play them next year?

I do know that we play Arizona OOC as well in Starkville, and that's typically a good team except last year when we really needed them to be good.

If it were me, what I would have preferred them do is move the Arizona series to another year and keep the Tournament in Houston. Personally, I would rather see us play three weekends of mid majors and go to a big time tournament than I would see us play a Big five conference team in Starkville and three weekends of mid majors.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing teams like Arizona and Oregon- in fact, I'm hoping to go to Eugene when we play them- and I love the idea of playing in a National Tournament. But honestly, we do have to be very careful not to overschedule. Especially with the way Cohen likes to let everyone play during the early OOC schedule. It does make us a little more prone to losing to someone like a Holy Cross. But at the same time, it gives us a chance to see everyone and long term put the best lineup out there. And big picture- we do have to consider our fans and players that want to see the team early in the year that are very loyal and playing a bunch of games on the road early takes that away from them. And back to the players, we have to consider how much class that they are going to miss and how the travel is going to effect them over the long haul. One trip is not going to kill them, but several trips could potentially start to add up especially at a time where we are trying to get them settled in.

Todd4State
07-12-2014, 01:31 AM
Also, you look at us two years ago and then Ole Miss this year. Both of those teams played a fairly soft OOC schedule. And I think it helped both of those teams kind of get going.

MsStateBaseball
07-12-2014, 08:21 AM
This is terrible news if true. Great competition plus great recruiting area and great for our fans to see us in that area. I expect a damn good reason.