PDA

View Full Version : Lebron James' Letter and Mississippi Recruiting

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
You'll need to James' letter before reading any further: http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

This is a post that I have felt like writing for a number of years, but never have because I always felt that by writing it I was just being a fan/booster that didn't really know what it was like to be wanted or highly recruited, however, since Lebron James felt and has acted upon many of the same thoughts that I've had, I now feel that this post may have a little more substance.

To the Leo Lewises, Jamal Peters, Fletcher Adams, Jimmy Johns, Danleys, and all other Mississippi recruits that have had, have, or may have in the future the opportunity to leave Mississippi and pursue your athletic career somewhere else:

As Lebron James learned over the past 4 years, there is something special about home. You are under no obligation, expectation, and have no responsibilty to stay home, but, as you grow and mature, I believe we all come to realize that the power of sports and the power of the player extends far off the playing field and into the class rooms, school halls, youth clubs, and playgrounds when you play at home, in front of your people, and for your state.

Let's face it, Mississippi isn't the richest, nicest, or largest state, but it's our state, it's the state that your from, and, ultimately, it's the state that you can have the biggest impact and influence in. What Lebron James told us today is that his career isn't as important as motivating, influencing, and mentoring the kids and families of Northwest Ohio and, in my mind, winning big at Mississippi State or Ole Miss would offer many of the top players in Mississippi the same opportunity.

Winning at Alabama, Oklahoma, and LSU may be a little easier, but, no matter how many titles you win, you may always wonder "what if" and none of those titles will ever mean as much or offer you as much as satisfaction and lifelong opportunities to unite, mentor, and influence as winning in Mississippi.

Again, you are under no obligation and no expectation to follow Lebron's lead, as it is YOUR career, but I must ask you: if Lebron has the awareness of how much bigger of an impact his career can have at home rather than abroad, then why can't you?

Today, Lebron set a standard and way I thinking today that all Mississipians should embrace, celebrate, and practice.

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 04:30 PM
I can't believe y'all are actually believing that letter from LeBron. He just got $60 million and upgraded the talent around him immensely which will further glorify his brand. This move has almost nothing to do with "coming home". Dwayne Wade is a shell of his former self. He can't hold Kyrie Irving's jockstrap anymore. Bosh has always been an awkward fit riding off of LeBron's coattails. In three years LeBron will probably jet to the next best thing for another max contract or sign with Cleveland for $100 million dollars. There was very little thinking to be done here. Stay in Miami with two players that are aging and not going to be able to win another championship and a franchise that has no room on the books to sign anybody worth a shit or go to Cleveland that has loaded itself with very young talent and look like the best thing ever all while landing a max deal and getting endorsements out the ass because it looks like you "did the right thing". Hahah love all of y'all eating this bullshit up and asking for seconds. Not me. LeBron ain't fooling me. Good for him for getting even more ridiculously rich and coming out smelling like roses. Hahaha

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2014, 04:36 PM
I can't believe y'all are actually believing that letter from LeBron. He just got $60 million and upgraded the talent around him immensely which will further glorify his brand. This move has almost nothing to do with "coming home". Dwayne Wade is a shell of his former self. He can't hold Kyrie Irving's jockstrap anymore. Bosh has always been an awkward fit riding off of LeBron's coattails. In three years LeBron will probably jet to the next best thing for another max contract or sign with Cleveland for $100 million dollars. There was very little thinking to be done here. Stay in Miami with two players that are aging and not going to be able to win another championship and a franchise that has no room on the books to sign anybody worth a shit or go to Cleveland that has loaded itself with very young talent and look like the best thing ever all while landing a max deal and getting endorsements out the ass because it looks like you "did the right thing". Hahah love all of y'all eating this bullshit up and asking for seconds. Not me. LeBron ain't fooling me. Good for him for getting even more ridiculously rich and coming out smelling like roses. Hahaha

I hate our fans. It's like we don't even want to win.

Todd4State
07-11-2014, 04:47 PM

I feel your pain.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2014, 04:51 PM
It's like, "hey everybody, let's make sure that we poke holes in all positive things about MSU just so we can make sure nobody believes it."

maroonmania
07-11-2014, 04:54 PM
You'll need to James' letter before reading any further: http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

This is a post that I have felt like writing for a number of years, but never have because I always felt that by writing it I was just being a fan/booster that didn't really know what it was like to be wanted or highly recruited, however, since Lebron James felt and has acted upon many of the same thoughts that I've had, I now feel that this post may have a little more substance.

To the Leo Lewises, Jamal Peters, Fletcher Adams, Jimmy Johns, Danleys, and all other Mississippi recruits that have had, have, or may have in the future the opportunity to leave Mississippi and pursue your athletic career somewhere else:

As Lebron James learned over the past 4 years, there is something special about home. You are under no obligation, expectation, and have no responsibilty to stay home, but, as you grow and mature, I believe we all come to realize that the power of sports and the power of the player extends far off the playing field and into the class rooms, school halls, youth clubs, and playgrounds when you play at home, in front of your people, and for your state.

Let's face it, Mississippi isn't the richest, nicest, or largest state, but it's our state, it's the state that your from, and, ultimately, it's the state that you can have the biggest impact and influence in. What Lebron James told us today is that his career isn't as important as motivating, influencing, and mentoring the kids and families of Northwest Ohio and, in my mind, winning big at Mississippi State or Ole Miss would offer many of the top players in Mississippi the same opportunity.

Winning at Alabama, Oklahoma, and LSU may be a little easier, but, no matter how many titles you win, you may always wonder "what if" and none of those titles will ever mean as much or offer you as much as satisfaction and lifelong opportunities to unite, mentor, and influence as winning in Mississippi.

Again, you are under no obligation and no expectation to follow Lebron's lead, as it is YOUR career, but I must ask you: if Lebron has the awareness of how much bigger of an impact his career can have at home rather than abroad, then why can't you?

Today, Lebron set a standard and way I thinking today that all Mississipians should embrace, celebrate, and practice.

Your post is dead on regardless of how genuine Lebron is or isn't in his letter.

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 04:55 PM

So you using LeBron James getting mega mega millions of dollars and writing a BS story as reason to tell high school players that they should follow his lead, that won't be getting 1/100,000,000 of that money he just got, for your own selfish reasons of blindly wanting to win no matter what you have to say, means that I don't want to win too? Ok derp. I wan't to win I just don't think we should use LeBron James as an example. He is a very very very well paid professional athlete. He wouldn't be going back to Cleveland for anything less than a max contract.

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 05:01 PM
It's like, "hey everybody, let's make sure that we poke holes in all positive things about MSU just so we can make sure nobody believes it."

Don't flip this into a "poke holes into MSU" thing. I am not poking holes into MSU at all. I am poking holes into YOU. Telling a high school player to follow the lead of an almost billion dollar athlete is exploiting the situation to benefit yourself. I want the best players to play for MSU just like the rest of you but I'm not going to lie to them and let them think they have some similarity to one of the richest athletes of all-time's situation so that they will sign with my University. I want them to play for MSU because it is a great school and a great opportunity for them. Not because LeBron James just fed the world a steaming pile of bullshit and y'all ate it up like there's no tomorrow.

Brad Stevens
07-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Early campaigning for Sly Croom award 2015 - take notice.

Goat Holder
07-11-2014, 05:06 PM
I agree in theory, BUT.....(HUGE 'but').......

There is a fine line in the sand between doing what's best for your home/city/state/loyalty, and just being dumb. Right now, sure, a player can choose MSU or Ole Miss and have a great future. In 2004, that was not true. And even then, who knew? Mullen could leave tomorrow and you're at the mercy of the replacement, at least for one year. The key is finding a way to represent your loyalties while being successful too. Loyalties and home are ONE portion of a decision like that, not the only one.

Never let emotion dictate a huge decision.

Todd4State
07-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Whether LeBron is genuine or not, there are a lot of positives about him coming back to his home and representing his state.

The point is not that LeBron is genuine.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Don't flip this into a "poke holes into MSU" thing. I am not poking holes into MSU at all. I am poking holes into YOU. Telling a high school player to follow the lead of an almost billion dollar athlete is exploiting the situation to benefit yourself. I want the best players to play for MSU just like the rest of you but I'm not going to lie to them and let them think they have some similarity to one of the richest athletes of all-time's situation so that they will sign with my University. I want them to play for MSU because it is a great school and a great opportunity for them. Not because LeBron James just fed the world a steaming pile of bullshit and y'all ate it up like there's no tomorrow.

Wow, I have no idea what you are trying to do.

Pretty sure I said multiple times that they are under no obligation or expectation to do so. Just pointed out positives.

This is why we can't have nice things. Why can't we have nice things?

Coach34
07-11-2014, 05:09 PM

This post is sooo damn short-sighted its hilarious.

If all the top talent in Mississippi would stay home and play for OM and State- we would be SEC contenders every year with good coaching staffs.

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Early campaigning for Sly Croom award 2015 - take notice.

Last time you cried for me to be put on the ballot I received one vote. From you.

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 05:15 PM

If all the top talent in Mississippi would stay home and play for OM and State- we would be SEC contenders every year with good coaching staffs.

Yup we would be and I am all for that I am just not for lying to players to achieve that.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Yup we would be and I am all for that I am just not for lying to players to achieve that.

Who is lying?

Do you know Lebron or are you just making baseless assumptions? Is it that hard to believe that Lebron is being genuine when he still lives in Akron and has numerous charities in Ohio?

I honestly don't get your position when you don't know shit.

RAYn_Man
07-11-2014, 05:20 PM
I gotta agree with Dawg61 on this. Sure Lebron is "going home", but it's also to a better situation for him basketball-wise. Playing in your home state isn't always the best thing for college football players. It's kind of two different scenarios.

shoeless joe
07-11-2014, 05:23 PM

So you don't want to do it the way Alabama, LSU, FSU, etc do it?

Todd4State
07-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Lying? About what? If we were able to keep the top players in Mississippi on one team, we would compete for the SEC every year- and that's not a lie. They just have to all be willing to do it together.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2014, 05:27 PM
So you don't want to do it the way Alabama, LSU, FSU, etc do it?

No kidding. I'm so happy that MSU has a BS police to make sure MSU fans don't get overly proud and prideful about their university.

I'm sure all of our competitors don't try to paint beautiful pictures and talk about the positives of playing at their school.****

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Who is lying?

Do you know Lebron or are you just making baseless assumptions? Is it that hard to believe that Lebron is being genuine when he still lives in Akron and has numerous charities in Ohio?

I honestly don't get your position when you don't know shit.

What part of the $250+ million dollar choice that LeBron just made are you equating to a high-school player making a decision on where they should play college football at? This isn't just Mississippi I am talking about here. This is any state anywhere. You are filling a player's head full of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ when you start comparing them to LeBron James. This is a very Ole Miss thing to do. MSU is a University not an NBA franchise.

mstatefan91
07-11-2014, 05:29 PM
I tend to think the guy wanted to go home and this was the best opportunity that he was going to have so he took it. Did it help that Miami was about to go into a drought due to aging players who couldn't be supported by any young talent? Sure but he also could have gone somewhere else like New York and gotten paid just as much. All in all, I think the money and the home ties played a big part in his decision, and I don't know why that's a bad thing..

dawgs
07-11-2014, 05:32 PM

How is it lying to players to tell them that winning for a hometown/home state team that's hungry for a title would be more satisfying than winning for a program away from home that's won big before?

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Can we ban or suspend posters for lack of feel, awareness, and those that are overall counterproductive? Shouldn't there be a requisite amount of that to post here?

After all, isn't this "Elite Dawgs", not "Mediocre Dawgs"?

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Dawg61 is our competitions best player today. Congrats for winning for winning a new award, "Other teams MVP"

I've never seen a fanbase get so much satisfaction and pleasure from continuously stepping on their dick.

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Can we ban or suspend posters for lack of feel, awareness, and those that are overall counterproductive? Shouldn't there be a requisite amount of that to post here?

After all, isn't this "Elite Dawgs", not "Mediocre Dawgs"?

Hilarious coming from you ShotgunBearSharkDawg

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Hilarious coming from you ShotgunBearSharkDawg

I like you, but please gain slightly more court awareness than Gary Ervin. I know you are a Dawg and want to win, but today your were counter productive to that. Even if you don't fully agree with the message, please have respect for those who try post positive messages about our university and state in order to create a perception that is positive for MSU.

You do realize that recruits and others read this board, right?

DudyDawg
07-11-2014, 05:57 PM
So you using LeBron James getting mega mega millions of dollars and writing a BS story as reason to tell high school players that they should follow his lead, that won't be getting 1/100,000,000 of that money he just got, for your own selfish reasons of blindly wanting to win no matter what you have to say, means that I don't want to win too? Ok derp. I wan't to win I just don't think we should use LeBron James as an example. He is a very very very well paid professional athlete. He wouldn't be going back to Cleveland for anything less than a max contract.

He wouldn't be going anywhere for less than a max contract. I can't believe you say it has nothing to do with home. He spent every summer in Akron, not MIAMI. IN THE SUMMER. Who would pick the city of Akron over Miami. And home means nothing to him? Come on. He talks about Akron constantly, even as a heat player he did

mstatefan91
07-11-2014, 05:59 PM
In other words Dawg61, toe the company line or else!!!***

Look, I get the whole giving MSU a positive image and whatnot but the man is allowed to post his opinion. If you had not responded to it then there would be no argument going on. It goes both ways.

Again, I think Lebron was genuine and it helped that he got paid, but I can respect someone's opinion to the contrary. Lebron, in the big scheme of things will not likely have an impact on MSU sports though it is a good talking point for a recruiter to refer to.

codeDawg
07-11-2014, 06:02 PM
What part of the $250+ million dollar choice that LeBron just made are you equating to a high-school player making a decision on where they should play college football at? This isn't just Mississippi I am talking about here. This is any state anywhere. You are filling a player's head full of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ when you start comparing them to LeBron James. This is a very Ole Miss thing to do. MSU is a University not an NBA franchise.

Most decisions are not black and white. LeBron would make more money total staying in Miami, but probably has a better chance at re-building in Cleveland. That does not mean that playing in Ohio is not meaningful to him and his family.

That point translates to MS recruiting. Pride in representing your home should mean something. It's not the entire equation, but it means something.

You just want to be a dick.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2014, 06:09 PM
This whole thread sucks.

The stay home point could have been made without Lebron or all of the emotion.....and I'm not sure where ol 61 misunderstood the point, but he's way out in left field on this one. It's like a Genespage thread with a splash of SPS.

[throws away popcorn in disappointment]

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 06:10 PM
How is it lying to players to tell them that winning for a hometown/home state team that's hungry for a title would be more satisfying than winning for a program away from home that's won big before?

It's not. I'm all for saying that. Just not for comparing a player's decision to that of a billion dollar super athlete.

hacker
07-11-2014, 06:41 PM
thought about commenting, pressed cmd-W instead

came back, typed this, submitted

CadaverDawg
07-11-2014, 06:43 PM
thought about commenting, pressed cmd-W instead

came back, typed this, submitted

Haha

HailState2008
07-11-2014, 08:13 PM

My god. Every time I think you can't get worse as a poster, you say this shit. Do you not even read the initial post?

HailState2008
07-11-2014, 08:17 PM
What is wrong with you? MSU is a great school to you but kids growing without affiliation to a school will need extra push to commit to MSU over other schools so why not use the LeBron approach about playing for your state, your home, your people etc.

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 08:28 PM
My god. Every time I think you can't get worse as a poster, you say this shit. Do you not even read the initial post?

Every time? Is that like 15 times then? Welcome to the board. And to answer your question I skimmed over ShotGeneDawg's rah rah speech. Next time I'll be sure to read it more carefully so that you and I can have our usual in-depth conversations that we've had so many times before in all of your 15 posts on this board.

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 08:29 PM
What is wrong with you? MSU is a great school to you but kids growing without affiliation to a school will need extra push to commit to MSU over other schools so why not use the LeBron approach about playing for your state, your home, your people etc.

Nothing wrong with using that approach as long as you don't mention the word LeBron when doing it. In my opinion.

FISHDAWG
07-11-2014, 08:46 PM
going out on a limb here - but I am taking a heck of a pay cut just to move back to Mississippi... sometimes these lessons aren't learned until later on in life when your perspective develops and finally comes full circle. I make a lot more money in Atlanta but...1) it's not home, 2) it no longer is worth the trade off for more money .. 3) closer to family that I have missed out on for a long time ...4) I wished I had remained and found a way to make my stake there long ago ... 5) I now have lived in Georgia longer than I have in MS but I always considered Ms as home 5) hindsight is and will always be 20/20 ... I went to three different colleges and always wanted to end up and complete my degree at MSU but I didn't do it that way ....... REGRETS last forever. Shotgun, I think this is an excellent analogy ... problem is in my youth- logic & rationale were over ruled by emotion

Dawgcentral
07-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm going to disagree with the premise that a HS player in Mississippi has no obligation to commit to a school in state. While I don't want to make some bogus rule where they must commit within, I believe that the State of Mississippi has played a tremendous role in helping them reach their current potential, and status as a top recruit. In the case of public schools, we build the facilities, we educate them in many cases, and in some we are even feeding them more than once a day.

Don't give a flip about what decisions Lebron James makes. The comparison seems to be a bit of a stretch.

cheewgumm
07-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Shotgun...I like

I get your point and like it!! Analogies don't have to be perfect to be appropriate. Lebron is talking about how important is to inspire, be a leader, etc...for his home. All those MS players have a home too and it's Mississippi. It's a good comparison. The money is not the point.

justwin
07-11-2014, 09:14 PM
This sums it up. Internally, home is the hardest thing to factor in the decision. For too long, local players usually had to sacrifice winning or being in the right system to do BOTH win & stay home for MSU.

Two players come to mind...Kevin Fant & Demarius Bilbo..both dominant HS QBs @ Moss Point. Kevin Fant followed his heart and was never utilized properly while @ MSU. Bilbo was reluctant to make the same mistake as Fant and went to Georgia Tech, but GT was loyal to the local kid, Ball, who stayed home in GA who wasn't nearly as good as Bilbo. Both scenarios equaled poor college careers unfortunately. So, how is the message different now? #1 Dan Mullen. Mullen has proven that he develop and can win with local kids. I can't begin to imagine how good Bilbo would be if he played for Mullen's MSU. Fant, a pocket passer like Tyler, would've had a much better career as well. So, the selling point is Dan Mullen. Most importantly, he's not going anywhere. He's not. He's here to stay. Hell, he's started the Nick Bell Foundation and has too much invested. So, the plan is working and gradually improving. In order to get the type of players you list on a regular basis, it's time for MSU to not only WIN, but WIN BIG.

That's why this year's LSU game is so important. Win that, you're looking at 10 wins and possibly signing any and every kid you want out of MS this year. You have to show those players you list that it can be done.

OM, on the other hand, will never get a majority of the MS kids. There's too much deep rooted ignorance & hatred up there & their system of winning the press conference by whatever means necessary doesn't translate or register to the internal pride you're referring to. MS kids don't go to OM b/c of state pride, they go b/c of *****, weed, and $...it will always be that way..let it be written, let it be done.

[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;210061] there is something special about home.

justwin
07-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Yes, I don't understand the lying comment either. it makes no sense at all.

Lying? About what? If we were able to keep the top players in Mississippi on one team, we would compete for the SEC every year- and that's not a lie. They just have to all be willing to do it together.

BullDog
07-11-2014, 09:17 PM
PHUCK YOU DAWG 61

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 09:32 PM
PHUCK YOU DAWG 61 Hahaha yea that's exactly what the entire state of Ohio was saying to LeBron 4 years ago but now that he is back it's because he loves Ohio so much and has nothing to do with the $250-$500 million dollars he just made himself and the young and more talented roster he just teamed himself up with. Yup all about him wanting to be "home". Nothing else. Same reason that LeBron never competes in the Slam Dunk contest is the same reason he just signed with Cleveland. It is what is best for his BRAND. LeBron is a phenomenal basketball player and he might just be an even better business man.

breazy
07-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Hahaha yea that's exactly what the entire state of Ohio was saying to LeBron 4 years ago but now that he is back it's because he loves Ohio so much and has nothing to do with the $250-$500 million dollars he just made himself and the young and more talented roster he just teamed himself up with. Yup all about him wanting to be "home". Nothing else. Same reason that LeBron never competes in the Slam Dunk contest is the same reason he just signed with Cleveland. It is what is best for his BRAND. LeBron is a phenomenal basketball player and he might just be an even better business man.

I don't post often, however isn't it a little bit short sighted to keep bringing up the money when LeBron would make the max anywhere he went. For that matter Miami could have offered him more years and therefore more guaranteed money. Also, The 250-300 mil you claim he just made himself...he makes around 100 mil a year in endorsements already, and that may go up, but that's purely speculation on you part and mine. Let's not pretend we know better than LeBron's own words what his intentions were because aside from the roster, he would have made the same money no matter where he went, and probably more if he'd have gone to LA or NY because of local endorsement opportunities in those larger markets. My guess is that the Essay/Letter mirrors his true feelings/intentions because that's all I've got to go on.

cheewgumm
07-11-2014, 09:54 PM
I don't post often, however isn't it a little bit short sighted to keep bringing up the money when LeBron would make the max anywhere he went. For that matter Miami could have offered him more years and therefore more guaranteed money. Also, The 250-300 mil you claim he just made himself...he makes around 100 mil a year in endorsements already, and that may go up, but that's purely speculation on you part and mine. Let's not pretend we know better than LeBron's own words what his intentions were because aside from the roster, he would have made the same money no matter where he went, and probably more if he'd have gone to LA or NY because of local endorsement opportunities in those larger markets. My guess is that the Essay/Letter mirrors his true feelings/intentions because that's all I've got to go on.

nmm

hacker
07-11-2014, 10:14 PM

excellent post

msstate7
07-11-2014, 10:15 PM

Id buy if all the top talent in miss stayed home and played for OM OR state. I don't think theirs enough talent in miss to help both OM and state be sec contenders

Dawg61
07-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Yea I have poorly expressed what I mean in this thread so here y'all go

http://cheaperthantherapy.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/done.gif

Cabo32
07-12-2014, 01:32 AM
Number 1 pick this year,..top 5 PG...three first rounders next year...and they'll probably sign another better than average player this year to go along with Lebron...so yeah I agree with 61...the guy made a great decision. Y'all can say it was him being loyal to his home town as much as you want, but the guy just made a smart decision.

I don't understand why people are bashing 61 for what he said... Yeah great OP...it was really heart-felt and warming. But damn, go say that shit to an 18 year old high school stud "hey man, be loyal like Lebron and don't forget to say you're prayers, eat your vitamins and train" and then Saban walks in behind you and says " I make people like you into millionaires in three years"..it's rough when you're stuck in the middle of 3 schools that have won a combined 5 BCS championships in the last 7 years

Intramural All-American
07-12-2014, 02:11 AM
Lebron makes every single team he plays for a championship contender the second he steps in the door. He will have just as good of a chance to win a championship with the Cavs as he would with Miami, if not a better chance. Leo Lewis has a much better chance of winning a championship at Alabama than he does at Mississippi State. It is not the same by a longshot. I am definitely one that would love to see all our homegrown players stay home, but to compare their decisions to Lebron's is not accurate. Do I think it would mean more to win one for your home state? Most likely. But the odds of Lebron winning a championship for his hometown team is 4/1, whereas the odds of MSU winning a championship is 150/1 (Ole Miss is 40/1).

As someone else said, if MSU and Ole Miss combined, I really believe we would be a national contender, and I think that Mississippi athletes would be more inclined to stay in-state. However, this isn't happening anytime soon.

Brad Stevens
07-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Lebron makes every single team he plays for a championship contender the second he steps in the door. He will have just as good of a chance to win a championship with the Cavs as he would with Miami, if not a better chance. Leo Lewis has a much better chance of winning a championship at Alabama than he does at Mississippi State. It is not the same by a longshot. I am definitely one that would love to see all our homegrown players stay home, but to compare their decisions to Lebron's is not accurate. Do I think it would mean more to win one for your home state? Most likely. But the odds of Lebron winning a championship for his hometown team is 4/1, whereas the odds of MSU winning a championship is 150/1 (Ole Miss is 40/1).

As someone else said, if MSU and Ole Miss combined, I really believe we would be a national contender, and I think that Mississippi athletes would be more inclined to stay in-state. However, this isn't happening anytime soon.

With all due respect, I think the original post was not about necessarily bringing championships back home, but the overall effect that Lebron going back to Cleveland has on the city as a whole. While I doubt any of our football prospects will ever come close to reaching the universal fame of LBJ, it seems to be very true about the local fame. Anthony Dixon (who has been a career backup in the NFL) is cherished as treasure around these parts, and he is the perfect example. He could have gone to Bama and done well, but as a backup in the NFL, it could be argued that hardly any Bama fans would care about him. Lebron will mean a lot to whatever city he goes to, but it seems obvious that home means something to him. It gives kids growing up there hope. It gives fans something to cheer for. How many Ole Miss people loved having Deuce play for the Saints? He could have been a decent player with another team, or he can be a RB legend due to semi-local Morton and Ole Miss fans cheering for their "local" player. Yes, Lebron is a one-of-a-kind athlete and player, but it seems naive to throw away all the good of playing for your home team can do. I'm not for deceiving kids, but if Lebron is discontent away from home (winning championships 50% of the time), why can we not use that as an example for future players that they will be more welcomed and beloved by local fans?

1bigdawg
07-12-2014, 10:25 AM

He would get a MAX contract anywhere. Suppose for a minute that he is sincere. I certainly would not want to be your employer as anyone as cynical as you must distrust the motives of all around you.

Dawg61
07-12-2014, 12:24 PM
He would get a MAX contract anywhere. Suppose for a minute that he is sincere. I certainly would not want to be your employer as anyone as cynical as you must distrust the motives of all around you.

And then you've gotta pull me back into the discussion. LeBron wouldn't go back to Cleveland if they hadn't spent the last four years building up talent for him. LeBron wouldn't go back to Cleveland for anything less than a max deal. If Cleveland had Sacramento's roster LeBron doesn't "go home". This is what makes me so nauseous about him and his letter. He is taking advantage of what people want to hear and what the media want to sell. Just look at how passionate so many of you are in this thread about it. He sees the angle to the gold. To better his brand and his image. To end up making even more ridiculous amounts of money than he is currently. Be the hero that's coming home. Pleaseee. Going to go puke now.
Every one of you saying LeBron is "sincere" are blinded by what you want to hear. Sure a part of him does want to go home and he does love that area but that is not the reason he signed with Cleveland. Again if Cleveland can't give him a max deal and Cleveland doesn't have Kyrie Irving and other young good players than LeBron is NOT going to Cleveland.