PDA

View Full Version : So, South Carolina scheduled to throw another lefty tonight...

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 12:30 PM
(4-1, 1.85 ERA).

Does that mean we stick with basically the same lineup? I think so. But I feel 100% certain that we will not see Armstrong tonight.

That being said, what would your lineup look like tonight?

msstate7
05-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Not that he's been any better lately, but I'd start slauter at dh.

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Frazier SS
Detz 3B
Renfroe RF
Pirtle 2B
Rea 1B
Bradford CF
Slauter/Porter DH (I would let Porter DH, but if it's got to be a RH'er I'll go Slauter)
Ammo C
Henderson LF

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Not that he's been any better lately, but I'd start slauter at dh.

You beat me to it. Slauter is a veteran, so he at least gives you solid at bats and works the count. Plus, he has been clutch in the past. I want Porter to DH, but assuming Cohen will go with a Righty, I think you start Slauter, and then bring Porter in if they go to a RH reliever later in the game.

Coach34
05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I would DH Robson...Ammo bat 7th, Hendo 8th, and Robson 9th...Porter DH's vs RH'ers

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I would DH Robson...Ammo bat 7th, Hendo 8th, and Robson 9th...Porter DH's vs RH'ers

Robson is a lefty too. So wouldn't Slauter be a better choice in your lefty vs righty stance?

mic
05-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Robson is a lefty too. So wouldn't Slauter be a better choice in your lefty vs righty stance?

cant play both catchers at the same time.. WAY too risky..

msstate7
05-17-2013, 01:54 PM

If something happened to ammo, can't you move slauter to catcher and lose dh?

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 01:55 PM

What do you mean? Why not? Slauter could move to catcher at any point and we could pinch hit for either...it's no different than having Slauter on the bench while Ammo catches.

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 01:55 PM
If something happened to ammo, can't you move slauter to catcher and lose dh?

Yes, you can. We've done it this season.

ETA: Not to mention, DHing Robson against a lefty may be a worse decision than DHing Armstrong in my opinion. A least Armstrong would have e matchup working for him. Robson doesn't hit lefties too well....but he would be a good bunting option. Once again though, if all you need is a possible bunt from Robson, then start Slauter at DH and then bring in Robson in the bunt situation.

Coach34
05-17-2013, 02:08 PM

normally yes-but Slaughter is 2 for his last 30 and isnt back to full speed yet. Give me Robson and let Slaughter have another week to get ready for SEC Tourney

Coach34
05-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Yes, you can. We've done it this season.

ETA: Not to mention, DHing Robson against a lefty may be a worse decision than DHing Armstrong in my opinion. A least Armstrong would have e matchup working for him. .

Armstrong K'ed and hit two weak ground balls last night...I'll take my chances Robson does better than that

mic
05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
What do you mean? Why not? Slauter could move to catcher at any point and we could pinch hit for either...it's no different than having Slauter on the bench while Ammo catches.

too much could go wrong..
Ammo takes a foul ball of the forearm top of 1.. has to come out of game.. lose ur DH the rest of the game..
No problem PH one during the game.. Just way too risky to DH and play 2 catchers basically your only 2 catchers at the same time. And its not like Slaughter is on fire right now anyway.. just take ur left on left with Robson Porter or frost

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 02:42 PM
too much could go wrong..
Ammo takes a foul ball of the forearm top of 1.. has to come out of game.. lose ur DH the rest of the game..
No problem PH one during the game.. Just way too risky to DH and play 2 catchers basically your only 2 catchers at the same time. And its not like Slaughter is on fire right now anyway.. just take ur left on left with Robson Porter or frost

You wouldn't lose your DH, mic. The DH would just bat in Ammo's spot. If it were the way you ink it is, then I definitely see your concern, but we wouldn't lose our DH

mic
05-17-2013, 02:54 PM
You wouldn't lose your DH, mic. The DH would just bat in Ammo's spot. If it were the way you ink it is, then I definitely see your concern, but we wouldn't lose our DH

DH is lost for remainder of the game when:
a. Pitcher plays another defensive position.
b. DH plays a defensive position other than pitcher.
c. A defensive player becomes a pitcher.

I think you do...

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 02:58 PM
DH is lost for remainder of the game when:
a. Pitcher plays another defensive position.
b. DH plays a defensive position other than pitcher.
c. A defensive player becomes a pitcher.

I think you do...

Maybe I'm wrong. I thought earlier this season we had both in the lineup and then we pinch hit for Slauter, thus making the pinch hitter the DH, and then moved Slauter in to the catcher position, thus making him hit in Ammo's place. But like I said, I could be wrong. If so, my apologies

Ronny
05-17-2013, 03:08 PM
..people who attack superstition to the game of baseball.

Meaning, I don't give a damn who is pitching for USCe tonight.

Tonight I start the same 9 I started last night...the same 9 that started the game that provided one of our best comebacks of the year.

If the game is close or tied in the late innings, then you can start your match-up tinkering.

But until then, I stick with the ones who brung me.

Will James
05-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Maybe I'm wrong. I thought earlier this season we had both in the lineup and then we pinch hit for Slauter, thus making the pinch hitter the DH, and then moved Slauter in to the catcher position, thus making him hit in Ammo's place. But like I said, I could be wrong. If so, my apologies
I don't see how we could get away with that. If you for hit in your spot you out of the game.

CadaverDawg
05-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Tonight I start the same 9 I started last night...the same 9 that started the game that provided one of our best comebacks of the year.

If the game is close or tied in the late innings, then you can start your match-up tinkering.

I agree typically....but Armstrong hasn't "brung" shit. We can stick with last night's lineup, but remove Armstrong.

Sandman14
05-17-2013, 03:16 PM

It is obvious that Cohen's mindset is the opposite of this. And based on Cohen's mindset, he has about 15 guys who are very capable of stepping into any situation, rather than 8 or 9.

You definitely don't want to turn around and play Armstrong again. Armstrong had his shot. Maybe he could see some action late or maybe Sunday, but he's done nothing to earn B2B SEC games coming off a bad performance. We have waaaay too many guys needing PT for that.

Now as for Henderson, he earned another start in my book.

Ronny
05-17-2013, 03:34 PM
It is obvious that Cohen's mindset is the opposite of this. And based on Cohen's mindset, he has about 15 guys who are very capable of stepping into any situation, rather than 8 or 9.

You definitely don't want to turn around and play Armstrong again. Armstrong had his shot. Maybe he could see some action late or maybe Sunday, but he's done nothing to earn B2B SEC games coming off a bad performance. We have waaaay too many guys needing PT for that.

Now as for Henderson, he earned another start in my book.

Superstition doesn't adhere to the Will James manual of statistical jackoffery.

Superstition is superstition.

That's why I would start Armstrong. Pure superstition.

I don't want to get into a Colin Cowherd argument over it.

Sandman14
05-17-2013, 04:24 PM
And that's one of the many reasons you are unqualified to make that call.