PDA

View Full Version : Well...that 90 minutes sucked

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
I managed to pick a few dingle berries out of my rear and watch some paint dry, but that's about the most boring 90 minutes of soccer I've seen in the World Cup. I love soccer, but games like this are what drives away Americans. Unwatchable.

hacker
07-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Just like a defensive football game. Not every game can be ****ing amazing like 90% of this World Cup has been.

DudyDawg
07-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Wouldn't really consider it boring, just sloppy. Unfortunately it has been two teams playing not to lose, understandably. Then again, it's not like it was going to be able to live up to yesterday

Saltydog
07-09-2014, 08:35 PM
nt

maroonmania
07-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Just like a defensive football game. Not every game can be ****ing amazing like 90% of this World Cup has been.

How many football games end 0-0 at the end of regulation? In soccer its fairly common. And the fact that its common makes it not special. In fact, any game where either team scores more than 2 goals is out of the norm. I would not appreciate a 1-0 pitcher's duel in baseball if the majority of games were like that. I've definitely enjoyed the world cup soccer tournament and all of the drama but lack of scoring is definitely a problem in making it more popular in the U.S. Germany's 7 goals yesterday was 2 more goals than the U.S. scored in its 4 games combined.

DudyDawg
07-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Apples to oranges. 9-6 LSU BAMA was a hell of a game. It was called the game of the century. Guess how many people got it into the goal (endzone). None. Can't compare the two wen you can score from 40 yards and not even sniff the endzone in football.

Intramural All-American
07-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Agree with that point DudyDawg, but disagree with your original point. The game today was boring. There were 3 combined saves in the 120 minutes before PKs. Not every game is entertaining, just like the WC final in 2010 was brutal. And it's not necessarily due to the score, some scoreless games are actually very exciting.

DudyDawg
07-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Ehh. Not disagreeing as far as the normal fan or average fan is concerned. I guess as someone who is an avid soccer fan no game is boring. I could watch these guys kick a ball to each other, just like I, and most of us, could watch a football practice or baseball BP. Can't argue that it was a great game, but wasn't the worst.

Mainly just saying that you can't argue football and soccer scores when in one sport you can get points without even getting close to success. IE apples to oranges.

Intramural All-American
07-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Trust me, I'm an avid soccer fan, as well. I'm also an avid college football fan and enjoy MLB. In my opinion there are definitely boring games in every sport. I agree, you can't argue the difference in scores between sports, though.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2014, 10:14 PM
I really love soccer and love the World Cup. I have no problem with a 0-0 game, but today's game lacked attack and quality of play. It looked like two teams that were playing not to lose, and that is a boring to watch. It's the equivalent of football teams playing a field position battle and neither team can get a first down.

drunkernhelldawg
07-10-2014, 08:34 AM
I love defensive football. As long as good plays are happening, I'm all in. Futbol has too many opportunities for players to create downtime in the irrelevant middle of the field. In football, you've got to have a tackle or score every play. This running in circles won't cut it.

DudyDawg
07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
How can you say you love defensive football but hate defensive soccer bc it's just "running in circles"? That just tells me you don't know a thing about the game. You have to make interceptions, tackles, blocks, and other plays on defense in soccer. Hell, Argentina is in the final because their midfielder blocked a shot with almost no time left from five yards away.

Bullmutt
07-10-2014, 12:55 PM
If soccer wants to have great appeal in the U.S., it will reduce the size of the goal by 80-85% and get rid of the goalies. Or, at the least, significantly decrease the size of the goalie's "protected area" (not sure of the precise term). JMO.

hacker
07-10-2014, 01:07 PM
How many football games end 0-0 at the end of regulation? In soccer its fairly common. And the fact that its common makes it not special. In fact, any game where either team scores more than 2 goals is out of the norm. I would not appreciate a 1-0 pitcher's duel in baseball if the majority of games were like that. I've definitely enjoyed the world cup soccer tournament and all of the drama but lack of scoring is definitely a problem in making it more popular in the U.S. Germany's 7 goals yesterday was 2 more goals than the U.S. scored in its 4 games combined.

Again, goals and scoring aren't what makes soccer enjoyable. The 0-0 Brazil vs Mexico game was one of the best games of the World Cup.

hacker
07-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Let me rephrase: scoring isn't the ONLY thing that makes soccer enjoyable. Remember Tim Howard's 16 saves? That shit was 0 - 0 at the end of regulation too, and was an amazing game.

DudyDawg
07-10-2014, 01:19 PM
If soccer wants to have great appeal in the U.S., it will reduce the size of the goal by 80-85% and get rid of the goalies. Or, at the least, significantly decrease the size of the goalie's "protected area" (not sure of the precise term). JMO.

It has a pretty big appeal already. USA-Portugal game had more USA ESPN viewers than any NBA Finals game, a large number of MLS teams have a greater attendance than MLB ones, often in the same city.

That idea is just stupid. Sorry, but it is

hacker
07-10-2014, 03:06 PM

Yea, let's start American Rules Football 2.0 so that we can continue not competing with the rest of the world...*

maroonmania
07-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Again, goals and scoring aren't what makes soccer enjoyable. The 0-0 Brazil vs Mexico game was one of the best games of the World Cup.

That is fine for someone like you that obviously already enjoys watching soccer just as it is but I'm talking about the reality of drawing new fans in the U.S. and getting more kids to play and stick with the sport long term. Casual fans or viewers that tune in and just end up watching guys run around the field kicking a ball with no end result of a goal anywhere in a 90 minute game on a fairly routine basis is just not going to keep them coming back for more, it just won't.

DudyDawg
07-10-2014, 03:50 PM
It already is. Its already growing.

Intramural All-American
07-10-2014, 04:15 PM
During this World Cup, there have been 7 games to end 0-0. 2 of those were decided on PKs. That is out of 62 games so far. There are going to be bad games, and yesterday was one of them. But people that just pick up and talk negatively about that game while disregarding the rest of the World Cup, simply have an axe to grind about soccer. This World Cup has been fabulous.

I will say this, if you are a casual soccer fan or don't really care much for it and want to see goals, the 3rd place game will probably be exciting for you. Those teams have nothing to play for now and will be wide open. The final is going to be very intense and will most likely be low scoring.

Dawg61
07-10-2014, 04:27 PM
After the Germany slaughter a boring next game was bound to happen. I don't understand why the soccer haters have to chime in about how much they hate soccer and I also don't understand why the soccer lovers feel like they must defend the sport. I love golf. I don't expect most people to love golf. I also don't expect those that hate golf to constantly tell us they hate it and why and I also don't expect those that love golf to chime in and defend golf against all the haters. Same for soccer. Soccer is not a threat to either the haters or the lovers. Some people love blondes some people love redheads some people love skinny women some people love fat women and some people love all women. Who gives a shit. Stop telling everyone what you don't like and what you do like and arguing against the others opinion.