PDA

View Full Version : Good article w/tips for fishing Horn Island

BeastMan
07-09-2014, 08:33 AM
http://www.ms-sportsman.com/details.php?id=3115

I really don't fish east ms much. We're more cat island to the marsh types but this article gives you a nice gameplan for hitting Horn. I know folks always catch fish out there so maybe I need to try

FISHDAWG
07-09-2014, 08:56 AM
good fishing there ... what little inshore type fishing I do is at Horn & Petis Bois ... I enjoy camping at the islands and catching jacks in the surf on the south side, then after dark a little flounder gigging on the north side is in order ... Beastman- your boat will make it there with no problem and is much better suited to it than mine is...I have to anchor and wade, never fished it from a boat except at the pass between the two during high wind ... the fun thing about island fishing is it brings in other species like cobia & kingfish and isn't so tidal dependent. It's def worth the trip and only a 25 minute run from Mary Walker Marina on a calm day

SpeckleDawg
07-09-2014, 10:26 AM
I've always fished the western side of the coast as well. Good article though

BeastMan
07-09-2014, 11:24 AM
good fishing there ... what little inshore type fishing I do is at Horn & Petis Bois ... I enjoy camping at the islands and catching jacks in the surf on the south side, then after dark a little flounder gigging on the north side is in order ... Beastman- your boat will make it there with no problem and is much better suited to it than mine is...I have to anchor and wade, never fished it from a boat except at the pass between the two during high wind ... the fun thing about island fishing is it brings in other species like cobia & kingfish and isn't so tidal dependent. It's def worth the trip and only a 25 minute run from Mary Walker Marina on a calm day

I've never been to petis bois and always wondered about what the fishing is like out there. Me and my dad like fishing Cat island but we were talking about it the other day, there is just something about making a long run into the marsh and getting lost out there (not really lost, just exploring) looking for new spots. We found a good trout spot a few weeks back that was way south and I found it on google earth and marked the coords so we can run there easily. It's out in live oak bay if anyone was wondering. Don't give me wrong, I enjoy catching fish and getting back to the dock quickly but I'm not a huge fan of being in the middle of a ton of other boats fishing the same spot.

BeastMan
07-09-2014, 11:26 AM
I've always fished the western side of the coast as well. Good article though

Me and a few buds usually do a cpl charters a year with a guy out of OC b/c it's a completely different area than we usually fish and I always like learning from the pros.

SpeckleDawg
07-09-2014, 01:19 PM
I've never been to petis bois and always wondered about what the fishing is like out there. Me and my dad like fishing Cat island but we were talking about it the other day, there is just something about making a long run into the marsh and getting lost out there (not really lost, just exploring) looking for new spots. We found a good trout spot a few weeks back that was way south and I found it on google earth and marked the coords so we can run there easily. It's out in live oak bay if anyone was wondering. Don't give me wrong, I enjoy catching fish and getting back to the dock quickly but I'm not a huge fan of being in the middle of a ton of other boats fishing the same spot.

When in MS, I tend to always fish the same couple areas - Cat Island and BSL. For my exploring, I love to take my kayak to LA and as you said, get lost in the marsh. It's nice to be out there all day and run into very few people.

I've been saying for years that I'm going to start venturing into the Biloxi Marsh, but just never do it. Our family boat isn't suited for that type of fishing. I need to nail down a few places that I can mothership they kayak to out there.

BeastMan
07-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Speck, the boat we fished out of for years was a 20ft hydra sport center console deep V. It was a great reef/rig boat but we couldn't get skinny like we do now. It's awesome finding all these areas we've never fished. That said, you'd be amazed how many little ponds cannot be accessed by boat b/c the entrance is a foot. I have push-poled us out of ponds the last few trips. It's been fun fishing these new places but there are still a bunch of spots that are only accessible via kayak

FISHDAWG
07-11-2014, 08:59 PM

Beastman ... when I get moved over, I'm taking the outdoor dawgs on that trip ... it will be too late for this year, but we will time it with the red snapper season for next year

Maroonthirteen
07-14-2014, 02:33 PM
I happened upon a TV show about the barrier islands yesterday. I just noticed this thread today. I am really intrigued by the islands and would really enjoy making a trip out there. As I am a north MS guy and never been out there.

So, i am understanding it is an easy kayak out there to Horn if I choose the correct launch point? Also, I see people camp often out there but insects can be a nuisance in summer. So, when should I attempt my excusion out there? When is the fishing good?

thanks!

SpeckleDawg
07-14-2014, 02:37 PM
So, i am understanding it is an easy kayak out there to Horn if I choose the correct launch point?

Definitely not. It can and has been done many times, but that is a very tough paddle across open water.

Maroonthirteen
07-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks Speck. I duck hunt out of a pirogue often. I would guess that I have paddled around 4-5 miles in a day many times. However, paddling out in the Gulf for 10 miles is much more intimidating than paddling around in creeks and flooded woods. Ill be honest. I knew nothing about the islands until recently. I didn't even know you could camp out there and etc. But I hunt, fish and camp a good bit here "up north"......So, based on my reading. I think I could manage camping and fishing out there easily but the getting out there and back part........

MSUDawg4Life
07-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks Speck. I duck hunt out of a pirogue often. I would guess that I have paddled around 4-5 miles in a day many times. However, paddling out in the Gulf for 10 miles is much more intimidating than paddling around in creeks and flooded woods. Ill be honest. I knew nothing about the islands until recently. I didn't even know you could camp out there and etc. But I hunt, fish and camp a good bit here "up north"......So, based on my reading. I think I could manage camping and fishing out there easily but the getting out there and back part........

You'd probably want to take a boat.

When the water is smooth you're going to be one paddling son of a gun. Let it get just a little bit rough and it's another ballgame entirely.

BeastMan
07-14-2014, 03:37 PM
There are multiple charter guys who will do island drop off and pickup. If you don't have a boat that could be a good option to get your gear and kayaks out there.

SpeckleDawg
07-14-2014, 03:53 PM

No problem and as I mentioned, there are some folks that do it, but I sure wouldn't. I've paddled quite a long way in the marsh and bayous in a day, but open water is much different. Camping out there is great. I've only done it on Deer & Cat Islands. Deer is an easy paddle in even a pirogue. When I camp on deer, I take the kayak and only what I can fit on it with me. It's not quite the same as being several miles away from the mainland, but it's still quite enjoyable. You are absolutely right about the bugs, but a fire (supposed to be below the high tide line) and bug spray help. Also, setting up camp where the wind will blow on you helps keep the bugs down some.

Also, floundering on the islands is as good as it gets.

FISHDAWG
07-14-2014, 08:37 PM
about 15 miles offshore ... def wouldn't try it without horsepower pushing you ... camping is nice but you need to make sure you camp upwind of the freshwater swamps and don't bring a firearm .... trust me on this

BeastMan
07-14-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm intrigued about the firearm part fish

FISHDAWG
07-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Horn and Petis Bois are under Federal regs, not state .... no firearms period... my brother-in-law was ticketed for this ... I never go offshore without a handgun for various reasons and that is fine by state and federal laws, but the second you beach the boat it's not allowed - just never admit to having one aboard. quite often we will go to one of the islands if someone is bad seasick and give them a chance to recover or just for a break. My brother in law got into an argument with a prick there one afternoon and was threatened by the guy so he told him that he was packing if the need arose. A warden was anchored about 500 yds away watching with binos (they do that all the time) and observed the altercation ... when he came to investigate the prick informed him that the other guy had a gun. When brother in law was asked he admitted that yes there was a gun aboard the boat and was ticketed ... never brandished it or revealed it, just admitted to having it...... didn't matter