PDA

View Full Version : Baseball scholarship $

bulldogcountry1
07-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Given the small amount available, it seems near impossible to figure out how to spread it all out, especially when we are offering guys several years out. Now, we are getting commits from more and more draft risks. At what point do they tell the players what % they can offer? At the initial offering point?

How do they know what will be available in 2-3 years? I imagine they just "overbook" and expect to lose someone. I also imagine that's why we see guys like Hann, Garner, and Flair leave in order to free up some scholarship $ for recruits with a better upside.

RAYn_Man
07-09-2014, 07:24 AM
They pull the schollys without notice sometimes. You either perform it's gone, and then the player has to decide whether they want to stay or not.

Todd4State
07-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Let me put it this way. I'm glad Cohen has to deal with it and not me.

dawgman
07-09-2014, 01:11 PM
I suspect that a good number have academic scholarships not dependent on athletics

Homedawg
07-09-2014, 01:22 PM
I suspect that a good number have academic scholarships not dependent on athletics

Some do, but it's important that even those on athletic aid get academic money. Especially important that those from out of state make high enoughbon the act to get out of state waived. Makes a huge impact on dividing scholarships up.

State82
07-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Let me put it this way. I'm glad Cohen has to deal with it and not me.

No doubt! That's why he makes the big bucks. At least bigger than the majority of his peers.

bulldogcountry1
07-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Some do, but it's important that even those on athletic aid get academic money. Especially important that those from out of state make high enoughbon the act to get out of state waived. Makes a huge impact on dividing scholarships up.

I bet it's even more difficult to figure out what sort of academic aid 10th and 11th graders are going to be eligible for.

I think the top job requirement for college baseball coaches is proficiency in fractions.

Homedawg
07-09-2014, 08:25 PM
I bet it's even more difficult to figure out what sort of academic aid 10th and 11th graders are going to be eligible for.

I think the top job requirement for college baseball coaches is proficiency in fractions.

No question. Of course a lot of the offers are made w secondary plans. Meaning, if u have an act of 24 you get x amount and if u up it to 28 u get x. It's not a simple process at all.

Todd4State
07-09-2014, 08:27 PM

It really is ridiculous what the NCAA makes baseball coaches go through. But the kicker is they are telling them how to spend the money because 27 of them have to be on athletic scholarship.

Homedawg
07-09-2014, 09:55 PM
It really is ridiculous what the NCAA makes baseball coaches go through. But the kicker is they are telling them how to spend the money because 27 of them have to be on athletic scholarship.

Amen. That's the biggest joke and at 25 percent.